Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel - Round V

Status
Not open for further replies.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
What I see is fans making excuses why Eichel is not producing his linemates at the same time using the same excuse why McDavid is producing his linemates. So we should just concede Eichel is great has no one to play with McDavid is ok has great players padding him.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I didnt think Jack played very well last night but he did pump in that seeing eye shot at the last minute. Even so , he has 3 points in 8 games, and is a -7 while getting 19:35 min ice time a game.

McDavid has 8 points in 8 games . True is -4 but he is also playing 17:31 min a game. A full 2 min less than Eichel.

I am surprised because Buffalo sold all its picks and prospects to get NHL ready talent and they honestly dont look any better than they did before. True that Lerhner is injured but I dont personally think he is a difference making goaltender.

Ralonzo

Я хочу!
Nov 6, 2006
Virginia
Not any better? That conclusion can only be supported by looking at one thing: the standings. There is literally no other evidence to support that in either the stats or by watching the games. 2015-16 Sabres look like they belong in the NHL; last year they didn't.

For Eichel to have 0 assists off the chances he's created for teammates is almost unfathomable. You'd think at least one would have doinked off a shinpad and in just on a probability basis, except for the puck usually ending up on the tape with an open side for the shooters, who are so shocked that they just spaz it wide.

The scouting report is out to watch for his toe-drag, he's been picked off a few times recently when trying it. It'll be interesting to see him adapt to the NHL level, as McDavid has been doing out west.

armyjoe

Nov 15, 2010
I didnt think Jack played very well last night but he did pump in that seeing eye shot at the last minute. Even so , he has 3 points in 8 games, and is a -7 while getting 19:35 min ice time a game.

McDavid has 8 points in 8 games . True is -4 but he is also playing 17:31 min a game. A full 2 min less than Eichel.

I am surprised because Buffalo sold all its picks and prospects to get NHL ready talent and they honestly dont look any better than they did before. True that Lerhner is injured but I dont personally think he is a difference making goaltender.

except they do look better than last year. Atleast from time to time.

And it`s easier to get points if you play on the same line with other 1st overall.

Velo

Jan 10, 2012

And it`s easier to get points if you play on the same line with other 1st overall.
Evander Kane's a 4th overall pick and a more established goal scorer than is Yakupov, so not really sure what your point is.

Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Ennis-Eichel-Kane

Pretty even. Where the difference between McDavid and Eichel lies - so far - is that being on McDavid's line has elevated the play and production of both of his linemates, and I think it's fairly safe to say that's primarily because of McDavid. Same can't be said - again, so far - of Eichel.

do0glas

Jan 26, 2012
Still don't think there is a huge gap between the two. Easy to point to mcdavids points but when you see what he did to get some of those points you have to say he got some fortunate bounces. Should be an interesting race all season.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Evander Kane's a 4th overall pick and a more established goal scorer than is Yakupov, so not really sure what your point is.

Pouliot-McDavid-Yakupov
Ennis-Eichel-Kane

Pretty even. Where the difference between McDavid and Eichel lies - so far - is that being on McDavid's line has elevated the play and production of both of his linemates, and I think it's fairly safe to say that's primarily because of McDavid. Same can't be said - again, so far - of Eichel.
Do you watch Sabres games? Have you seen how many times Eichel has given his linemates wide open nets, which they shoot wide of/into the post near/into the shins of a defender? This line isn't even right, he almost never has had those two on the ice with him at the same time. He was with Kane, who should have at least 3 goals if not for missing wide open nets, off of Eichel passes, and Gionta, who kills plays the second they hit his stick. You all can say we're making excuses, but we're the ones watching the games.

On that note, McDavid is a boss and easily my favorite prospect ever, and I hope he explodes and takes over the league, and I think he will sooner rather than later.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012

Thanks for letting us all know you don't watch the games. This year's team looks worlds better than last year's. There are still problems, and the team hasn't had any puck luck, but we're unquestionably better.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Still don't think there is a huge gap between the two. Easy to point to mcdavids points but when you see what he did to get some of those points you have to say he got some fortunate bounces. Should be an interesting race all season.

Gotta Be Lucky to Be Good, and Good to be Lucky

Thanks for letting us all know you don't watch the games. This year's team looks worlds better than last year's. There are still problems, and the team hasn't had any puck luck, but we're unquestionably better.

Maybe he only watched the Leafs/Sabres game...my god that was tough to watch. Mistakes everywhere.:laugh:

Aceonfire*

"Fortunate bounces".

It's not like pucks are bouncing off of the glass and into the net.

If he shoots/passes and it goes off of someone and into the net then he is doing his job. In a low scoring era you want guys getting goals like that. His very first goal was a tip in.

And as for secondary assists..

Even on Pouliots goal the other night. It was McDavid that did the leg work to get it to to the Ozone.

Good players get lucky because they create a lot of chances. McDavid leads the Oilers in scoring chances.

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

wow. Yakupov is a top tier talent now?

I'm sure any board would've said KHL bound a month ago. Nice narrative

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

You mean the SUPER BUST Yakupov as opposed to having to deal with someone picked at the LOWLY #4 overall spot and has scored 30 goals in the NHL before?

You guys are going to have to abandon that line of shtick.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

Well you dont speak for 'everyone else' and you also cannot tell me what I did or did not do. I have watched all the Sabre games.

They dont really look much better than they did last year which really is surprising considering they do have more talent now.

Your disagreement with my assessment is however, duly noted.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
Well you dont speak for 'everyone else' and you also cannot tell me what I did or did not do. I have watched all the Sabre games.

They dont really look much better than they did last year which really is surprising considering they do have more talent now.

Your disagreement with my assessment is however, duly noted.
Buffalo is 3rd in the league in shots allowed per game. And yet their PK is dead last and their GA/G is 4th last. It's pretty obvious what the issue is there and it's that other than the Toronto game Buffalo has been lucky if their goaltenders stop 7 in 10 shots. For the majority of last season the difference between Buffalo and the 2nd last team in the league in puck possession was close to 10%. TEN PERCENT. This season they are closer to the upper tier of the league. But they have a bottom 5 SV% and a 3.2 SH%. All of this while missing their #1 defensemen.

You either haven't watched them this season or you didn't watch them last season.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
Buffalo is 3rd in the league in shots allowed per game. And yet their PK is dead last and their GA/G is 4th last. It's pretty obvious what the issue is there and it's that other than the Toronto game Buffalo has been lucky if their goaltenders stop 7 in 10 shots. For the majority of last season the difference between Buffalo and the 2nd last team in the league in puck possession was close to 10%. TEN PERCENT. This season they are closer to the upper tier of the league. But they have a bottom 5 SV% and a 3.2 SH%. All of this while missing their #1 defensemen.

Yes, and Eichel isn't helping matters with his atrocious -5.84 CF% Rel. What does it say that his possession numbers are so much worse than his teammates, on an already bad possession team?

McDavid in contrast is one of the best possession players on his team with +6.78 CF% Rel. He just processes the game at a level few have in hockey history.

Jack will figure things out and be a superstar. Thornton, Stamkos, and Seguin took some time to adapt their games too. But his fanboys aren't doing him any favors by expecting him to be as good as McDavid, a player who is as good as prospect as Mario Lemieux was. It just isn't fair to expect him to perform like McDavid.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
But his fanboys aren't doing him any favors by expecting him to be as good as McDavid, a player who is as good as prospect as Mario Lemieux was. It just isn't fair to expect him to perform like McDavid.
Who is? Certainly not any Sabres fans.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa

You either haven't watched them this season or you didn't watch them last season.

While it is true that I didnt watch them closely last season I did watch several games. I have watched all the Sabre games this year.

The Sabres also havent faced very many quality opponents. True they faced us twice and Montreal. Losing all three by a combined score of 13-4.

The others have been mediocre teams even by Eastern Standards. In spite of this, the Sabres sit 28th overall and while its an improvement on 30th, most would agree its not much of one.

I admire your subjective optimism that I would grant every fanbase regardless of the objective truth. However, what is going to happen when the Sabres face actual quality teams from the west or the Rangers Capitals and others?

The Sabres have won 2 games. They beat Ottawa by 2 goals. One being an empty netter. They beat the mighty Maple Leafs.........in a shoot out. They have also had the luxury of playing 6 games at home already and only 2 on the road.

In my opinion, given golden opportunity to make headway given a favorable schedule start, they simply have not performed.

Their next stretch is against the Flyers, Penguins, Islanders , us again, Canucks and Panthers again. Then they embark on Western teams. Lets see where they sit after that.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Yes, and Eichel isn't helping matters with his atrocious -5.84 CF% Rel. What does it say that his possession numbers are so much worse than his teammates, on an already bad possession team?

McDavid in contrast is one of the best possession players on his team with +6.78 CF% Rel. He just processes the game at a level few have in hockey history.

Jack will figure things out and be a superstar. Thornton, Stamkos, and Seguin took some time to adapt their games too. But his fanboys aren't doing him any favors by expecting him to be as good as McDavid, a player who is as good as prospect as Mario Lemieux was. It just isn't fair to expect him to perform like McDavid.

Did you literally just quote a post in which it was explained that Buffalo has been in the upper tier possession wise and then say Eichel is on an "already bad possession team"?

They are currently 11th in the league.

Secondly, the bolded is ridiculous.....as good as arguably one of the top 2 forwards of all time.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
While it is true that I didnt watch them closely last season I did watch several games. I have watched all the Sabre games this year.

The Sabres also havent faced very many quality opponents. True they faced us twice and Montreal. Losing all three by a combined score of 13-4.

The others have been mediocre teams even by Eastern Standards. In spite of this, the Sabres sit 28th overall and while its an improvement on 30th, most would agree its not much of one.

I admire your subjective optimism that I would grant every fanbase regardless of the objective truth. However, what is going to happen when the Sabres face actual quality teams from the west or the Rangers Capitals and others?

The Sabres have won 2 games. They beat Ottawa by 2 goals. One being an empty netter. They beat the mighty Maple Leafs.........in a shoot out. They have also had the luxury of playing 6 games at home already and only 2 on the road.

In my opinion, given golden opportunity to make headway given a favorable schedule start, they simply have not performed.

Their next stretch is against the Flyers, Penguins, Islanders , us again, Canucks and Panthers again. Then they embark on Western teams. Lets see where they sit after that.

Close the thread guys this guy has it right! The Win-loss record after 8 games is the one way to judge whether a team has improved.

I have to agree with everyone else. Despite what you say, you clearly haven't watched. Either that or you are simply one of the many people who hate Buffalo and have a jaded view. They were outshot by almost 1000 shots last year and this year they have been out shooting their opponents on a nightly basis. How is that NOT a sign of improvement? Oh right cuz "lols, i watch all the sabres games"

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
No Subjective optimism. I know Buffalo is a bottom 5 team and have all along. But it's possible to be a bottom 5 team and still improve tremendously over what they were last season. Buffalo is at least a watchable team this season and other than the first Tampa Bay game have hung in every game and that includes a 7-2 loss. People seem to forget that in typical years the bottom teams in the league are still only a handful of wins out of the playoff picture. Missing the playoffs by 30+ like Buffalo and Arizona did last season is not normal.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

I would love to hear where you are seeing all these lucky bounces. Sure his goal against Washington was a lucky bounce off the dman, but if the d didn't try to block that it would have been a tap in backdoor pass for Yakupov, but thats fine I'll give you that one. As for the rest his first goal was a beautiful tip, his 2nd a beautiful rush using the dman as a screen, his nice back door goal on a bouncing pass, his 4th absolutely amazing play on a 2 on 2 that he turned into a 2 on 1. As for his assists they were all well deserved, one where he walked through 2 players and set yak up wide open in the slot, another no look pass off a steal behind the net to pouliot, and the other was him creating a 2 on 1 with his speed before sending a beautiful saucer pass over a dman who laid down that Yak couldn't convert but found the trailer.

Its just funny how people talk about missed conversions as an excuse why Eichel hasn't produced on McDavids level, but ignore the fact that he has set up numerous tap ins and has been robbed on several occasions himself. I mean jesus Letestu has had 2 tap ins on 2 on 1s from McDavid 1 where he missed the net, and the other where he couldn't manage to get his stick flat on the ice on one of the easiest tap ins I've ever seen. Lets not even talk about the save Hiller made on him, or the reach back save that Elliot made on him in his first NHL game.

Did you literally just quote a post in which it was explained that Buffalo has been in the upper tier possession wise and then say Eichel is on an "already bad possession team"?

They are currently 11th in the league.

Secondly, the bolded is ridiculous.....as good as arguably one of the top 2 forwards of all time.

He said as good of a prospect, he never said he would be as good as Lemieux. While I don't entirely agree that he is as good of a prospect he is in the same tier as a prospect as other generational talents. Doesn't mean he will be one, but he's shown the potential to be.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
He said as good of a prospect, he never said he would be as good as Lemieux. While I don't entirely agree that he is as good of a prospect he is in the same tier as a prospect as other generational talents. Doesn't mean he will be one, but he's shown the potential to be.

But he isn't..... Lemieux had 4 PPG in his last season in junior. I am sorry but Lemieux has his own tier and he is on it by himself. Below him are the McDavids and Crosbys.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad