Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel - Round V

Status
Not open for further replies.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
I'd repost it but, TBH, I can't go into the Eichel thread. ;)

Anyway, I would love for someone to repost it and describe the 4 plays. Be honest and see how your description differs from mine - keep it brief. The fact that no one has reposted, tells me I am right.

The Sabres have the Devils tomorrow night so... He should get some points.

Gee...I wonder why. Carry on your carry on.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

I agree. It's some fancy moves but really in the NHL it's better to keep possession and try to get some quality shots from the points instead of losing possession with junior dekes. The defencemen just angle Eichel wide and not give him any quality chances.

Thanks, buddy. :)

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Is this serious? Eichel was amazing tonight. He made something happen pretty much every shift he had. Threads like this are ridiculous. Just bc one player is great somehow means another player can't be. It doesn't make any sense.

Semantics

PUBLIC ENEMY #1
Jan 3, 2007
San Francisco
I agree. It's some fancy moves but really in the NHL it's better to keep possession and try to get some quality shots from the points instead of losing possession with junior NCAA dekes.

Fixed. :sarcasm: McDavid would have held onto the puck there and gone around the net looking to beat a defender or find a passing option.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

...in the NHL it's better to keep possession and try to get some quality shots from the points instead of losing possession with junior dekes.

Agree. It was a "I saw that D-Man getting drunk at the University pub last night therefore I will use my spin-a-roo move" except... this is the NHL not the NCAA.

Fixed. :sarcasm: McDavid would have held onto the puck there and gone around the net looking to beat a defender or find a passing option.

Agree.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
Is this serious? Eichel was amazing tonight. He made something happen pretty much every shift he had. Threads like this are ridiculous. Just bc one player is great somehow means another player can't be. It doesn't make any sense.
It's the same few posters who can't bring themselves to say a nice thing about Eichel. As annoying and biased as it is, you just have to leave it be.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
No one with a hockey trained eye can objectively state that Jack Eichel hasn't been tremendous to begin the season. Downplay tonight's highlight reel all you want, but there were some magical moments in there, and in the full context of the game, they're even more impressive. Makes me question whether or not some of you are even watching the games.

For the record, as someone that has watched ALL of both he and McDavid's games this season -- I believe Eichel has been the better of the two. So far he seems to have more tools in his toolbox. The points haven't come, but eventually they will, especially if he continues to have more games like he did tonight. That's not to say McDavid is limited in his skillset, or that he doesn't have the same 'unpredictability' that Jack has shown thus far. I'm simply stating that Jack has shown more at this point, and unfortunately for him it hasn't shown on the scoreboard.

In the end, watching both with a keen objectionable eye, they're both generational talents. Players of this caliber don't come around often, so enjoy hockey fans.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Anyone trying to dismiss Eichel needs to turn a game on, McDavid and him are neck and neck so far.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Sigh. I almost wish they were not in the same draft year and Noah Hanifin was the no.2 overall, so 12-year-olds on the internet wouldn't be so obsessed with this. I think most Oiler and Saber fans are willing to say both will be great players.

I think when Connor had a bit of a cool start and Eichel had a hot one, that caused a bunch of non-Oiler/Saber fans to come out of the woodwork and start making stupid proclamations and now the pendulum has swung the other way.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
No one with a hockey trained eye can objectively state that Jack Eichel hasn't been tremendous to begin the season. Downplay tonight's highlight reel all you want, but there were some magical moments in there, and in the full context of the game, they're even more impressive. Makes me question whether or not some of you are even watching the games.

For the record, as someone that has watched ALL of both he and McDavid's games this season -- I believe Eichel has been the better of the two. So far he seems to have more tools in his toolbox. The points haven't come, but eventually they will, especially if he continues to have more games like he did tonight. That's not to say McDavid is limited in his skillset, or that he doesn't have the same 'unpredictability' that Jack has shown thus far. I'm simply stating that Jack has shown more at this point, and unfortunately for him it hasn't shown on the scoreboard.

In the end, watching both with a keen objectionable eye, they're both generational talents. Players of this caliber don't come around often, so enjoy hockey fans.
Same thing was said in the World Juniors. Eichel was better, "more flashes", but then not even PPG.

SabreDr

Sep 4, 2006
Buffalo
Eichel's problem is the Sabres don't have the finishers that the Oilers do. I guess that happens when you repeatedly get 1st overall picks :sarcasm:

Eichel has been setting players up left and right, making off the chart plays that players in their prime don't make let alone 18 year olds but too many players missing the mark on prime scoring chances he's setting them up with.

seabass11

Dec 12, 2010
Eichel's going to be great. McDavid's going to be generational. For some reason, this upsets people.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Yep, it's officially his fault that his teammates can't finish the golden opportunities he sets up for them.
That must make him the greatest player of all-time, because I mean if his teammates finished his chances he would have had 7 points today, and probably 30 already this season. At the World Juniors, would've broken records.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Honestly why is this thread even allowed to exist?? Either one can no longer be considered "prospects" as they both have established themselves, in a very short time, as legit NHL regulars who are both destined for stardom...so please have this silly debate somewhere else.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
That must make him the greatest player of all-time, because I mean if his teammates finished his chances he would have had 7 points today, and probably 30 already this season. At the World Juniors, would've broken records.

God, It's impossible to post on the main board. What are you talking about man?

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Eichel has tremendous physical tools and a killer skillset, but he doesn't have that split-second quickness and decisionmaking ability that McDavid has. That's what separates the two and what will soon be separating McDavid from everyone in the league...maybe even Crosby. Eichel will be very good--one of the league's best. But he isn't and never will be as good as McDavid. This will become more and more evident as time goes on.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I recall a few years ago similar arguments...errrr discussions between one Phil Kessel and one Sidney Crosby.

Some even suggested had they both been in the same draft year they would have taken Phil. Well, we all know how that turned out.

Regarding Connor and Jack. As I've seen a lot of both this season and before in junior/NCAA/ World Juniors, I'll give a slight edge to Connor.

In 10 years, who the hell knows. All I do know is, both teams are extremely fortunate to have amazing players.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005
God, It's impossible to post on the main board. What are you talking about man?

I hear ya...it's not worth the time. The whole there can be only one crowd is annoying...I'm positive and guarantee they never saw Jack outside of WJ as posted above earlier. Don't let it get to you, Jack has been real real good this year, elite actually.

Aceonfire*

Anyone trying to dismiss Eichel needs to turn a game on, McDavid and him are neck and neck so far.

Except in, you know..scoring.

I'm sure Eichel is creating a lot of chances but he needs to bury them.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
I hear ya...it's not worth the time. The whole there can be only one crowd is annoying...I'm positive and guarantee they never saw Jack outside of WJ as posted above earlier. Don't let it get to you, Jack has been real real good this year, elite actually.

It's just weird. I called McDavid the best prospect I've ever seen. Its not like I don't realize he's good...it's weird how eichel can't be good as well.

TimeZone

Make the pick
Sep 15, 2008
Lost
Eichel has tremendous physical tools and a killer skillset, but he doesn't have that split-second quickness and decisionmaking ability that McDavid has. That's what separates the two and what will soon be separating McDavid from everyone in the league...maybe even Crosby. Eichel will be very good--one of the league's best. But he isn't and never will be as good as McDavid. This will become more and more evident as time goes on.

I couldn't agree more. Very well put.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad