Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel - Round V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
Eichel has tremendous physical tools and a killer skillset, but he doesn't have that split-second quickness and decisionmaking ability that McDavid has. That's what separates the two and what will soon be separating McDavid from everyone in the league...maybe even Crosby. Eichel will be very good--one of the league's best. But he isn't and never will be as good as McDavid. This will become more and more evident as time goes on.

It's strange because he has extremely fast decision making, McDavid is just faster. It's what makes McDavid almost not human.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
I watched the Sabres-Canadiens highlights and saw all the beautiful dangles and dekes Eichel was making, he looked fantastic. The first person I thought of that used to (and sometimes still does) make those moves was Bobby Ryan. Bobby Ryan consistently used to have goal of the year nominations with very similar moves that he scored on. Obviously Eichel's potential is higher though.

Then I realized/remembered that Bobby Ryan went 2nd overall in 2005 to Sid... So in other words I blew my own mind :laugh:

FDBluth

Jul 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Yeah, Eichel's ability is super impressive. He has a completely unique playing style that at times looks more outstanding than McDavid. McDavid is just so lethal though, and his mind is always right on top of the play, defensively or offensively. As good as Eichel is and will be, I just don't know how he's going to be able to keep up with McDavid's production. McDavid just makes so many plays all the time that lead to good chances.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
I watched the Sabres-Canadiens highlights and saw all the beautiful dangles and dekes Eichel was making, he looked fantastic. The first person I thought of that used to (and sometimes still does) make those moves was Bobby Ryan. Bobby Ryan consistently used to have goal of the year nominations with very similar moves that he scored on. Obviously Eichel's potential is higher though.

Then I realized/remembered that Bobby Ryan went 2nd overall in 2005 to Sid... So in other words I blew my own mind :laugh:

Eichel is by far and away a better talent than Bobby Ryan. These silly comparisons based of nationality (and in this case nationality tied to draft position and draft class) has got to end. Jack Eichel's talents are unique in itself, and his situation is entirely different than of any other American born and trained prospect in the past 25 years.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Watching Eichel this season, there's no question in my mind that he's a generational player.

Well then, that settles it.

Eichel is by far and away a better talent than Bobby Ryan. These silly comparisons based of nationality (and in this case nationality tied to draft position and draft class) has got to end. Jack Eichel's talents are unique in itself, and his situation is entirely different than of any other American born and trained prospect in the past 25 years.

Heavy Mc can say what he wants.

Everyone here thinks they are an expert. If anyone really was, they would be working for the NHL. Some posters need to get over themselves.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

:facepalm: Relax...

My post has absolutely nothing to ****ing do with nationality. Watching Eichel's dangles this season he makes very similar moves that Bobby Ryan used to. Ryan used to Be quite the human highlight reel just like Eichel tonight vs Montreal. Eichel's potential is obviously much greater, my comparison began and ended with dekes and dangles cool?

I don't need to be told Eichel is the superior talent as I've been following him since 11/12 and Ryan since 03.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013

Everyone here thinks they are an expert. If anyone really was, they would be working for the NHL. Some posters need to get over themselves.

Eichel >>>> Ryan and I'm not saying otherwise. All I'm saying is Ryan and Eichel can deke out players in a similar way. Both love to dangle wide around defenders.

schpaff

Sep 4, 2005

Pot and kettle have finally met...kumbi ya everyone kumbi ya!

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York

There's a lot of irony here.

Of course he's entitled to his opinion, just as I'm entitled to respond to his observations. And who here is claiming to be an expert? I don't quite get what your trying to achieve with that statement.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
I dont know if its really healthy to be debating this anymore. Especially when one is currently doing well and the other one is doing ok but not getting the results he wants.

They are both going to be fine.

Slangston

Buffalo Sabres
Apr 3, 2003
Western New York
:facepalm: Relax...

My post has absolutely nothing to ****ing do with nationality. Watching Eichel's dangles this season he makes very similar moves that Bobby Ryan used to. Ryan used to Be quite the human highlight reel just like Eichel tonight vs Montreal. Eichel's potential is obviously much greater, my comparison began and ended with dekes and dangles cool?

I don't need to be told Eichel is the superior talent as I've been following him since 11/12 and Ryan since 03.

Sorry, but your post came across as a veiled attempt to diminish Eichel by drawing comparisons to Bobby Ryan, whom everyone and their mother knows was drafted after Crosby. Many posters here have attempted to draw parallels to Jack's situation/talent, to Bobby Ryan's situation/talent, in their respective draft years and draft class. The reality is their situation and talent level couldn't be any different. I apologize if that wasn't your intent, but upon first viewing, it certainly looked like so.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
I dont know if its really healthy to be debating this anymore. Especially when one is currently doing well and the other one is doing ok but not getting the results he wants.

They are both going to be fine.

Eichel's plays has been much better than OK. The team as a whole has just lacked puck luck. Nobody is finishing the tap-ins he sets them up with. FFS, the team's shooting percentage is 5.6% (the only teams worse in that category are -- surprise -- 2 teams who are massively underperforming against expectations: Pittsburgh and Anaheim). Goalies are not going to average a .950 sv% against us all year. Eichel creates excellent chances every game. The points are bound to follow eventually.

Last edited:

Bored

Jan 13, 2008
Is this serious? Eichel was amazing tonight. He made something happen pretty much every shift he had. Threads like this are ridiculous. Just bc one player is great somehow means another player can't be. It doesn't make any sense.

No-one is saying Eichel isnt great, they are saying McDavid is better. Why cant one be better than the other?

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Eichel is special and will most likely be an elite first line center most teams would kill for, between two rabid fanbases and the nationality aspect its gonna create heated debate. When threads were started in pre-season with titles like "Was Buffalo lucky to lose the lottery and get Eichel" you knew a certain faction of posters were gonna rub it in when McDavid got hot and Eichel wasn't putting up numbers. This is much closer to a Ovechkin/Malkin situation (although I think that was slightly closer at draft time) than a Crosby/Ryan one.

Last edited:

tripleX

Feb 22, 2010
No-one is saying Eichel isnt great, they are saying McDavid is better. Why cant one be better than the other?

Are you sure about that? Just read the first page of this thread and see how the McDavid fanboys going all out tonight to downplay Eichel.

Or do you prefer to see some of these fanboys creating and spreading rumors without any base regarding Eichel's GPA and his IQs. It's sad people need to do things like that in order to "make the point". Even in HF, that's a new low to attack a 18-year-old by spreading rumors like that.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Eichel's plays has been much better than OK. The team as a whole has just lacked puck luck. Nobody is finishing the tap-ins he sets them up with. FFS, the team's shooting percentage is 5.6% (the only teams worse in that category are -- surprise -- 2 teams who are massively underperforming against expectations: Pittsburgh and Anaheim). Goalies are not going to average a .950 sv% against us all year. Eichel creates excellent chances every game. The points are bound to follow eventually.

Mc David has also set up guys who missed opportunities too. Its not just an Eichel phenomenon. Should Jack have more points? Maybe. But if so then so should Mc David.

You are right. He will start to produce. He is too good not to. But if he doesnt, its not the end of the world.

Rebuilt

Jun 8, 2014
Tampa
Are you sure about that? Just read the first page of this thread and see how the McDavid fanboys going all out tonight to downplay Eichel.

Or do you prefer to see some of these fanboys creating and spreading rumors without any base regarding Eichel's GPA and his IQs. It's sad people need to do things like that in order to "make the point". Even in HF, that's a new low to attack a 18-year-old by spreading rumors like that.

Isnt Eichel 19 yet?

Jesus Christ Horburn

Aug 22, 2008
Eichel is on the same level (or at least will be soon) as Tavares, Stamkos, Seguin, etc.

McDavid is on the same level (or slightly below) as Crosby.

IMO, that's what most people were expecting before the season and ~10 games in it looks to be an accurate assessment.

Bored

Jan 13, 2008

I hadn't heard of any comments abouts about Eichel's GPA or his IQ. Pretty disgraceful if true.

I reread the first page, there isnt anything there suggesting that Eichel isnt a great player. Just that his highlight package from tonight isn't as great as some are making it out to be. The NHL is a results based business, there is nothing to suggest through the first few weeks of the season (or at any point leading up to the draft) that Eichel is better than McDavid.

lawrence

May 19, 2012

Actually the McDavid groupy has been very humble, and considering it's mostly Oilers fans, I'm quite shocked, how humble they are right now. Eichel got off to a quick 2 goal start, and he was compared to Wayne Gretzky, not only that, "heads and shoulders" above McDavid ,and the "its a blessing in disguise for the Sabres"

Since then McDavid.. well.. you look at the score sheet, and they have been very quiet despite his play. He was their reason why they won 3 straight.

right now the only player being slammed, apparently is McDavids shot, how its "weak" and he needs to not work on it. Other then that, it's just a bunch of Eichel fans trying to make Eichel sound as special as they can.

Eichel is on the same level (or at least will be soon) as Tavares, Stamkos, Seguin, etc.

McDavid is on the same level (or slightly below) as Crosby.

lol, Hilarious how you mentioned the 2009 and 2008 1st overalls, but did not mention the 2010 1st overall. lol

but agreed with your comment. I don't think Eichel is Crosby/Ovechkin Tier, but more Stamkos, Tavares, Patrick Kane tiering.

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
McDavid and Eichel are going to be the 2 best players in the NHL in about 5 years I predict. I hope to see a Edmonton vs Buffalo stanley cup final around 2020.

AD1066

Sep 30, 2011
Actually the McDavid groupy has been very humble, and considering it's mostly Oilers fans, I'm quite shocked, how humble they are right now.

You're kidding, right? Certain individuals have spent more than a year trashing the kid on an online message board...

It's a shame Eichel was born in the wrong country, otherwise the usual suspects would be salivating over his potential right now.

Johnny McBravo

Hello Connor
May 28, 2010
Canada
You're kidding, right? Certain individuals have spent more than a year trashing the kid on an online message board...

It's a shame Eichel was born in the wrong country, otherwise the usual suspects would be salivating over his potential right now.

I'm so sick of hearing this ****. It goes both ways

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad