Connor McDavid vs Jack Eichel - Round V

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hisch13r

May 16, 2012
NJ
I'd repost it but, TBH, I can't go into the Eichel thread. ;)

Anyway, I would love for someone to repost it and describe the 4 plays. Be honest and see how your description differs from mine - keep it brief. The fact that no one has reposted, tells me I am right.

The Sabres have the Devils tomorrow night so... He should get some points.

Except for the fact that he is going to have to play against one of the best goalies in the league

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Eichel is on the same level (or at least will be soon) as Tavares, Stamkos, Seguin, etc.

McDavid is on the same level (or slightly below) as Crosby.

IMO, that's what most people were expecting before the season and ~10 games in it looks to be an accurate assessment.

This is how I see it.

Do you want a Crosby [McDavid] or a Tavares [Eichel]? One is obviously better but theres nothing wrong with the other player's talents as well.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Eichel's problem is the Sabres don't have the finishers that the Oilers do. I guess that happens when you repeatedly get 1st overall picks :sarcasm:

Eichel has been setting players up left and right, making off the chart plays that players in their prime don't make let alone 18 year olds but too many players missing the mark on prime scoring chances he's setting them up with.

Excuses. All summer we hear that Kane is gonna be better than Hall, Yakupov is a bust/scrub.

Can't just pick and choose when you want to raise an argument and then move goal posts.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Sorry, but your post came across as a veiled attempt to diminish Eichel by drawing comparisons to Bobby Ryan, whom everyone and their mother knows was drafted after Crosby. Many posters here have attempted to draw parallels to Jack's situation/talent, to Bobby Ryan's situation/talent, in their respective draft years and draft class. The reality is their situation and talent level couldn't be any different. I apologize if that wasn't your intent, but upon first viewing, it certainly looked like so.

No worries but no talent wise Eichel is obviously far superior to Ryan. Just comparing their hands and dangles with is no shot at Eichel. Ryan has made the highlight reel more than Crosby.

HeavyHitter99

Jun 18, 2013
Excuses. All summer we hear that Kane is gonna be better than Hall, Yakupov is a bust/scrub.

Can't just pick and choose when you want to raise an argument and then move goal posts.

Yah we get told that Kane is better than Hall, O'Reilly and Nuge are on a similar level (true). Eberle hasn't even played this season.

Or are we talking about Mcdavid's actual linemates? Yakupov, who we get told by everyone is a complete bust and Pouliot who we got told was the worst free agent signing a year ago.

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
Eichel's problem is the Sabres don't have the finishers that the Oilers do. I guess that happens when you repeatedly get 1st overall picks :sarcasm:

Eichel has been setting players up left and right, making off the chart plays that players in their prime don't make let alone 18 year olds but too many players missing the mark on prime scoring chances he's setting them up with.

It's funny how now all of a sudden the oilers have great finishers when it fits people's narratives. According to this board yakupov is the worst 1st overall pick since daigle, so how can he be this great finisher propping up mcdavids point totals? Also mcdavid has 5 goals and 3 assists right now, So then it must be yakupov setting up mcdavid, but that can't be because yakupov is bust right?

This board is ridiculous.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Yah we get told that Kane is better than Hall, O'Reilly and Nuge are on a similar level (true). Eberle hasn't even played this season.

Or are we talking about Mcdavid's actual linemates? Yakupov, who we get told by everyone is a complete bust and Pouliot who we got told was the worst free agent signing a year ago.

It's funny how now all of a sudden the oilers have great finishers when it fits people's narratives. According to this board yakupov is the worst 1st overall pick since daigle, so how can he be this great finisher propping up mcdavids point totals? Also mcdavid has 5 goals and 3 assists right now, So then it must be yakupov setting up mcdavid, but that can't be because yakupov is bust right?

Yep. Not all Sabres fans think like that but a good chunk of them were pumping their team's tires and talking down the Oilers claiming themselves as contenders. When reality hit, it definitely hit hard.

Being an Oilers fan, I know first hand that 1 player [...or 2 or 3 first overalls:laugh:] don't equate to immediate success.

I myself thought Yakupov might be a definite bust if he has nothing to show for this season [early games pointed in that direction] but it appears McDavid saved him. Synergy at its finest IMO

Beukeboom

Apr 1, 2007
Yep. Not all Sabres fans think like that but a good chunk of them were pumping their team's tires and talking down the Oilers claiming themselves as contenders. When reality hit, it definitely hit hard.

Being an Oilers fan, I know first hand that 1 player [...or 2 or 3 first overalls:laugh:] don't equate to immediate success.

I myself thought Yakupov might be a definite bust if he has nothing to show for this season [early games pointed in that direction] but it appears McDavid saved him. Synergy at its finest IMO

If McDavid is truly great he'll put Yakupov into HHOF like Gretzky did with Anderson :nod:

What happens when Eberle is back?

Juxta Position

Jul 2, 2006
If McDavid is truly great he'll put Yakupov into HHOF like Gretzky did with Anderson :nod:

What happens when Eberle is back?

Anderson rarely played with Gretzky. messier and Anderson were parts of the oilers second line, while Gretzky and Kurri were on the first.

Eberle will play with hall and RNH when he comes back.

Last edited:

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Mc David has also set up guys who missed opportunities too. Its not just an Eichel phenomenon. Should Jack have more points? Maybe. But if so then so should Mc David.

You are right. He will start to produce. He is too good not to. But if he doesnt, its not the end of the world.

Having not missed any games, McDavid could easily have another 5 points at minimum. Plays like Detroit where he gave Letestu an open net and he hits the side of the net. McDavid is just heating up. He looked like any other player his first 4 games, but was good defensively fairly quickly.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You're kidding, right? Certain individuals have spent more than a year trashing the kid on an online message board...

It's a shame Eichel was born in the wrong country, otherwise the usual suspects would be salivating over his potential right now.

It's a shame Eichel was born in the wrong country

everyone has acknowledged his potential. Their not much more you can really ask for, unless he starts proving himself man. Stop crying over this. Gosh.

Yakupov has been fantastic in his own right. And Eberle will play with Nuge like always...

He has McDavid to thank. NO one else. Pretty much anyone at this point, can play with McDavid and put up points.

NewBoysClub97*

All-Star
Jun 1, 2012
Vancouver
Yakupov looked much better last year, but playing with McDavid helps. Common now.

He made the good outlet pass to McDavid for his goal in CGY. He made the great outlet pass to Puliot against Detroit to get McDavid the puck after. Pouliot had some quick thinking and passed it to Yak in Calgary for Yak's goal. McDavid did start it though.

He hasn't "carried" Yakupov. For me it comes down to confidence. Yakupov is enjoying the game again.

I like Eichel (Have him in my hockey pool and I have McDavid). I want both to do well. I would bet lots of $$ though that McDavid has the higher amount of points by years end.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall

Without disagreeing with you. Maybe he isn't the worst since Daigle, but he is almost definitely the worst since Dipietro in 2000. I am not even saying he will be a bust or be bad, but at this current point in time there is no reason to believe he will out perform any other 1st overalls since Dipietro.

Back on topic, both will be fine. Most Sabres fans (myself included) don't watch McDavid enough to truly know how good he is and most Edmonton fans don't watch Eichel enough to truly know how good he is.

93LEAFS

Nov 7, 2009
Toronto
Without disagreeing with you. Maybe he isn't the worst since Daigle, but he is almost definitely the worst since Dipietro in 2000. I am not even saying he will be a bust or be bad, but at this current point in time there is no reason to believe he will out perform any other 1st overalls since Dipietro.

Back on topic, both will be fine. Most Sabres fans (myself included) don't watch McDavid enough to truly know how good he is and most Edmonton fans don't watch Eichel enough to truly know how good he is.
He has a chance to pass EJ, it wouldn't be a massive surprise. EJ is good and a top pairing guy on most teams but his offensive game has never hit the next level. Also no idea on how to rate Fluery (who has a cup, but is erratic and has arguably never been a top 5 goalie). Anyone else he has a lot of ground to make up on with the closest two being two of his teammates, followed by probably Rick Nash. Weird how great the picks have been the last 15 or so years compared to the mid 90's, Berard, Phillips, and Stefan could all be passed by Yakupov, possibly Jovo too.

OttawaRoughRiderFan*

Yes and I keep getting pulled back into it. I need to walk away (again).

At the end of the day, McDavid is going to be favoured by Canadians and Eichel is going to be favoured by Americans. No matter what they do, this bias will stick.

McDavid could score 100 points while Eichel scores 25 and Americans would say, "Eichel has been great, maybe better than McDavid, and if you don't agree you know nothing about hockey". AND VISE VERSA - same excuse apply if Eichel scores 100 and McDavid scores 25.

For this reason, I am off - hopefully for good.

P.S.

I listed these excuses for the fans of both players before the season started and 1, 2, 3, 4 and 7 have been used more than a few times. I look forward to seeing the rest being used as the season goes on.

1) Did you even watch his games because, no matter how few points he got, he was the best player on the ice every game?!?!

2) Did you see who he had to play with all season?

3) Obviously, you know nothing about hockey because I saw every shift and he was beyond what I expected.

4) I NEVER said he was going to be "Generational". I said he was going to be good to great. Nothing more.

5) I can't believe you remember I said that and quoted me. Get a life!!!

6) Yes!! He should be on the U23 team and anyone who says he shouldn't, knows NOTHING about hockey.

7) Your national bias is showing because he is GREAT!!!

8) Did you see how good he was in the month of <fill in the blank>?

9) He was injured. What did you expect???

10) I NEVER SAID THAT and don't even bother looking thru my posts to prove me wrong because I am blocking you.

If nothing else, the posters at HF are very, very predictable.

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015

I don't think I've seen a single Sabres fan claim our team as contenders. Some thought of us as a guaranteed playoff, but they were the small minority. You're kind of blanket covering the fanbase by saying "a good chunk" of us believe this when that isn't really the case. Most of us, myself included, saw this team as a non-playoff team in a growing year.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
9/10 most likely would take Connor. He's keeping a steady pace with the Oil on the 2nd line (I believe). They're both incredibly gifted nonetheless. I hope they're both dominant forces for years to come

DraberlyakMcHallkins*

9/10 most likely would take Connor. He's keeping a steady pace with the Oil on the 2nd line (I believe). They're both incredibly gifted nonetheless. I hope they're both dominant forces for years to come

Who's this 1/10? Could anybody find a single scouting service/scout that would have taken Eichel? Let alone 10%.

Not saying they're players with terribly different career arcs, but that's a strange statement. Maybe 9/10 fans, 1/10 being a combo of sabres fans and patriotic americans

Roo Mad Bro

U havin a giggle m8?
Dec 6, 2010
PA
This was McDavid a year ago. Still McDavid now.

And will be McDavid when it's all said and done.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I'm just not sure why people are getting upset when others say McDavid is better. He was the unanimous #1 the entire draft year, outperformed Eichel on all international stages throughout their careers (you could argue not in their first U20's, but overall in the U18's and U20's McDavid has outperformed), and has outperformed Eichel in the NHL thus far. No there is no guarantee that McDavid will end up the better player, but there is literally nothing that has changed between the two to indicate that McDavid isn't unanimously the better prospect and player, as he has been for the past 3 years.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
I'm just not sure why people are getting upset when others say McDavid is better. He was the unanimous #1 the entire draft year, outperformed Eichel on all international stages throughout their careers (you could argue not in their first U20's, but overall in the U18's and U20's McDavid has outperformed), and has outperformed Eichel in the NHL thus far. No there is no guarantee that McDavid will end up the better player, but there is literally nothing that has changed between the two to indicate that McDavid isn't unanimously the better prospect and player, as he has been for the past 3 years.

Who is upset? Most of us haven't even claimed Eichel is better. Most sabres fans have simply stated the gap between the two isn't huge. Not that Eichel is better.

Club

Mar 2, 2015
Calgary
Who's this 1/10? Could anybody find a single scouting service/scout that would have taken Eichel? Let alone 10%.

Not saying they're players with terribly different career arcs, but that's a strange statement. Maybe 9/10 fans, 1/10 being a combo of sabres fans and patriotic americans

I forgot to say fans. My fault man

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Who is upset? Most of us haven't even claimed Eichel is better. Most sabres fans have simply stated the gap between the two isn't huge. Not that Eichel is better.

There have been plenty of people getting upset in these threads or making ridiculous statements. I didn't say anything about Sabres fans, I'm speaking in general. So yes there have been people saying Eichel is better, especially when he scored 2 goals to start the year. The gap is there, its not huge, but its definitely more than minuscule, and it always has been. Doesn't mean it will stay that way, but currently it is.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
I don't think I've seen a single Sabres fan claim our team as contenders. Some thought of us as a guaranteed playoff, but they were the small minority. You're kind of blanket covering the fanbase by saying "a good chunk" of us believe this when that isn't really the case. Most of us, myself included, saw this team as a non-playoff team in a growing year.

You need to peruse the summer Babcock sweepstakes thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad