Connor McDavid Playoff Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
McDavid has had 2 noticeable breakaways and an assist and that's 'terrible'? Guess that means if Matthews get's only 1 assist and has decent breaks during tonight's game, that's considered 'awful'?

Dec 3, 2005
Vancouver BC
So you're that guy who gets mad I insulted your girlfriend and rather than defend her, you insult my girlfriend in return. Almost like a "your mom" joke.

I mean really, lets go look at a users posts and find a way to insult whatever team he likes. You crushed it bro...

I actually am a Jagr fan first and foremost, but live in Colorado now so the Avalanche have become my adopted team. In respect to the years you are referencing, I was following the Penguins, so your post did nothing for me.

The Penguins eh?

As for the rest of your post, well, glass houses and everything.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
100% agree on him personally. I just hope he spends the next 8-9 seasons sniffing the Cup, but coming up short, then he leaves and is part of a dynasty literally anywhere but Edmonton. I hate that the Oilers franchise was rewarded for being useless for so many seasons.

So we should hate on the Fans for enduring the suffering too? You make no sense. We should also hate on the Leafs for sucking to get Matthews too just to be 'rewarded'. Or hate on Chicago for sucking and getting Toews AND Kane. Or hate on the Pens for sucking to get Crosby AND Malkin. That logic is ridiculous and YOU know it. Hate on MacT and Lowe, sure. I can hate them too, but to hate on the Oilers and their Fans, GTFO. :rant:

St8Sh00ter

Oct 16, 2016
All the penalties kill mcdavids rhythm. Oilers have to stay out of the box and not be so sloppy breaking out of their end. Mcdavid is fine.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Crosby had 0 goals, 4 assists, and an even +/- rating against San Jose in the finals.

McDavid is significantly better than Crosby and will likely score at a higher clip throughout the series. The reasons the Penguins won was because they had superior depth to San Jose.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Yeah, no.

He's currently at a 1.0 PPG while Crosby only managed a 0.667 clip against the Sharks. I don't think McDavid is gonna end the series with a PPG that low.

There's no shame in getting shutdown by Marc-Edouard Vlasic. In fact, the players who have been shut down by Vlasic are actually elite company. But I don't think he's gonna be able to shut down McDavid for the whole series.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
McDavid lives off the transition game, to keep him in check, you have to limit that and the Sharks did, people act like he's not stoppable or something, his game is built on speed, blowing past people and finding players while doing that and when you take that out of his game, he's not going to be a beast at the other end of the rink, he's not going to grind it out along the boards, that's not his game and maybe he develops that later on, but it's been his game in Juniors and he's been his game in the NHL so far.

He's currently at a 1.0 PPG while Crosby only managed a 0.667 clip against the Sharks. I don't think McDavid is gonna end the series with a PPG that low.

There's no shame in getting shutdown by Marc-Edouard Vlasic. In fact, the players who have been shut down by Vlasic are actually elite company. But I don't think he's gonna be able to shut down McDavid for the whole series.

Lol, yeah in one game. Its not like a grind to get into the finals lowered his ppg or the focus on him by a solid defensive team like San Jose. There's a reason why production starts to slow down for a lot of players when they get deeper into the finals, maybe not by a ton but it does.

I'll take the 4pts in 6 games and being 55% at faceoffs.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Well good thing the Oilers know he is a bust now. This gives them time to off load his entry level contract, instead of signing him to an inflated deal and regretting it later. It really only takes one playoff game of a near-rookie's career to judge how he will perform in the future.

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Crosby had 0 goals, 4 assists, and an even +/- rating against San Jose in the finals.

McDavid is significantly better than Crosby and will likely score at a higher clip throughout the series. The reasons the Penguins won was because they had superior depth to San Jose.
And an already ridiculous thread goes off the rails... lol.

Legionnaire

Help On The Way
Jul 10, 2002
LA-LA Land
Well good thing the Oilers know he is a bust now. This gives them time to off load his entry level contract, instead of signing him to an inflated deal and regretting it later. It really only takes one playoff game of a near-rookie's career to judge how he will perform in the future.

Yep. Poor Connor. He'll likely retire before game 2 because he knows he can't hack it. Tragic.

He played very well IMO. He did exactly as he does. If they focus on him it opens up others and Looch's line was very good too.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And an already ridiculous thread goes off the rails... lol.

It tends to when it's any kind of McDavid talk, it's always some fan (never a Pens fan) that brings Crosby's name into this and then it turns into Oilers fans thinking we're jealous or something and other people making outlandish claims. Sharks fans are already making their excuses up when/if McDavid burns them. Apparently in a main SC thread, we can't even talk about other series if we're not fans of the team, it's ridiculous.

It is 1 game. If the Sharks keep it close with defending against him, they can keep McDavid in check.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC

Ooooooooookay.:laugh:

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

Crosby and his wingers had 49 SOG in 6 games in the SCF.

McDavid's line had 2 yesterday.

Zalos

Berktwad
Feb 2, 2009
Quebec
I mean McDavid is so bad at this point, the Oilers would have to trade him AND Draisaitl to even get a sniff at Phil Kessel. :sarcasm:

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'd say most of your points are valid but the bold seems pretty random. He had 27 powerplay points and 71 even strength points. He's one of the better powerplay producers but I wouldn't say he relies on it.

"Relies" was the wrong word - what I meant was that he generates a lot of points on the PP, like most good players, and therefore you'd expect to see his point totals drop when PP opportunities are reduced.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I'm not taking umbrage with your prediction of Mcdavid's performance. But saying he's "significantly" better than Crosby is ridiculous. It's debatable that he's better at all. He's certainly not significantly better.

rynryn

Reluctant Optimist. Permanently Déclassé.
May 29, 2008
Minny
i think we should all agree that McDavid's playoff performance in the 2017 iteration was the most dominant playoff performance of all time.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
He had about 3 rushes that were partial breakaways, and had 1 assist. McDavid is so good that people actual call this a terrible game?

This. What kind of ******** OP is this. "Doesnt drive the net"? But had 3 partial breakaways. Still picked up an assist. Could have easilly had 2 points and any and all talk about his performance in the 1st game would be all for naught.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad