Connor McDavid Playoff Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wheatking

Sep 25, 2006
I actually thought he played really well.

Used his speed, challenged defenders, played with a high compete level. But he's primarily a playmaker who relies on a lot of PP points and scoring off the rush - both things that tend to happen at a lower frequency in the playoffs because of how teams tighten up and the pace of play is faster. When everyone is playing​ at a playoff pace, there isn't usually a ton of chances to create off the rush. He may have to adapt his style a bit to really dominate in the post season - kind of like what we've seen from Crosby over time.

I noticed some similar "struggles" for McDavid at the WCH. As the pace picked up, he wasn't able to adapt his game - the competitive advantage that he gains from his speed and skill are less significant as the games get faster. At the WCH he often skated himself (and the puck) out of the play and was easily contained once he reached the boards. I think I saw him try the same "skate past the defense" move about a dozen times, and he was relieved of the puck every time before his linemates could get in tight enough to provide forecheck pressure, allowing for a quick one and done for the D.

It might do him some good to start slowing the play down a bit more - maybe instead of challenging the D off every rush, pull up, wait for some teammates, and try to establish some zone time. I don't think he's going to be able to rely on skating past defenders like he did in the regular season.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him "struggle" to produce in the playoffs until he learns to adapt his game a bit - find more soft spots in the defense, get his shot off a bit quicker, get to the net for garbage goals, and create off the cycle (obviously he's still very good at these things, but compared to his other skills, he could use some work).

None of that is meant as a criticism, but just opportunities for improving his effectiveness in the playoffs. For a 20 year old Captain in his first NHL game, I thought he looked really good and showed a lot of character.

I'd say most of your points are valid but the bold seems pretty random. He had 27 powerplay points and 71 even strength points. He's one of the better powerplay producers but I wouldn't say he relies on it.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
if Draisaitl hadn't been intent on giving the puck away with sloppy passes like it was going out of style people's perceptions of McDavid might be a bit different. He wasn't terrible, but when the rest of his line is struggling to maintain possession of the puck he's not going to be as noticeable.

Oilers were sloppy with the puck and turned it over a pile, all the penalties called disrupted the flow of the game and they got bogged down chasing afterwards. It happens.

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
McDavid was not terrible. He just didn't meet the standard he set for himself and what people expect. However, there were a few players last night who were genuinely terrible. That's the situation I'm worried about. McDavid will be fine.

The standards of the posters crowning him the best player in the world after one regular season?

Or the standards of the posters comparing him to Gretzky and Lemieux?

Or the standards of the poster who made an Oilers winning the Cup thread after one goal?

Or the standards of all of the Oilers fans who insist on shoving McDavid down our throats at every opportunity?

I cant imagine why we expect more out of a player. Amazing how the playoffs can turn someone from a God to a mortal real quick.

DisgruntledGoat*

Dec 26, 2010
The standards of the posters crowning him the best player in the world after one regular season?

Or the standards of the poster who made an Oilers winning the Cup thread after one goal?

Or the standards of all of the Oilers fans who insist on shoving McDavid down our throats at every opportunity?

I cant imagine why we expect more out of a player. Amazing how the playoffs can turn someone from a God to a mortal real quick.

Amazing the asinine conclusions someone can come up with from one game...

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
You mean McDavid 100 points and Art Ross Trophy winner 2017?!

Correct, but apparently Oil fans only want to have the best player in the league when they can talk about him being generational or laugh at other names being mentioned in the same sentence as him but don't want the deserved scrutiny that comes with the best player in the league mantra.

There's no way I'm counting out McDavid at this point but lets not act like its absurd to put his performance under the microscope and it goes both ways, if he was dominant and got three points last night would you guys be here to temper expectations? Did you not see a thread started 20 minutes into the game called "the Oilers are going to win the cup"?

McDavid was good for 20 minutes then the Sharks remembered that they had a hockey game to play and the generational talent barely moved the dial once he was zeroed in on, I'm sure he will learn to adjust and be fine but these assessments are warranted it was not a great game and it was a big moment. These threads come with the threads where you guys get to parade McDavid around as God's gift to hockey.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Huh, maybe people were too quick to crown him as the best player in hockey :sarcasm:

But for real, this thread is stupid. It was 1 game against the reining cup representative from the West.

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
I thought he looked good and dangerous.

Draisaitl on the other hand.... You can't trust those boys in the playoffs who are not from Canada! Chokers the lot of them!

VoidCreature

Before you see the light, you must die.
Mar 6, 2015
New Jersey
Weird. I though he was the only Oiler who was effective past period 1. He got a number of rushes on the goalie all by himself. Everyone else got shut down.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
A bad game for him is a good game for everyone else. He looked like one of the best players on the ice to me

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011

Sounds like you are the one building up the impossible standards. Just because some posters are hyping him up you expect him to absolutely dominate the first playoff game he has ever played? In Greztky's first playoff year the Oilers were swept and Wayne only had 3 points. In Crosby's first playoff year the Pens lost in 5 and Crosby had just 5 points. Malkin had 4. Lemieux didn't even make the playoffs until his 5th season.

One Art Ross season is too small a sample size to say he has surpassed Crosby as the best player in the world, but one mediocre playoff game and he has gone from "god to mortal". Please.

The Oilers as a team were badly outplayed and there is nothing one player (other than perhaps the goalie) can do about that. McDavid was the best player for Edmonton, but he can't win a game by himself.

Last edited:

Zegs2sendhelp

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2012
I just feel bad for the oiler fans that thought things don't change come playoff time, and thought teams were already playing around McDavid in the regular season the same way they would in the playoffs.

Mcdavid is going to get his points and have games where he absolutely dominates, but every team knows to do what you have to do to stop McDavid and you should have pretty solid chance at winning the game.

Hes going to get the most attention in the league in any series/matchup, line changes/matchups will be important. Its def going to be a learning experience for him this series, sharks are a vetern team with good center depth and good back end... so its a very good test.

Looking forward to see if he can break through next game.

Battle Lin

Dec 18, 2015
man just wait til connor develops better finish, omg its gonna be over...he has so much speed and skills its crazy, and he creates so many scoring chances with them...but at 20, his finishing ability isnt even that great yet and hes already a 100 pt player, he still fumbles and losing control often, its only gonna be better and even more scary for the rest of the league

illpucks

May 26, 2011
He looked overwhelmed

Look at Ovechkin's performance last year despite the teams focusing all their attention on him.

Playoffs is hard to excel without multiple lines of threats. Why you think the Pens won last year?

Sid. Malkin, HBK line

Oilers are a one line team. Their depth is OK but not good enough to offset the extensive focus on Connor McDavid.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
It was just one game. But he only every did anything off the rush. He never tried to enter the zone and slow the pace down and setup. It was too predictable by his whole team and SJ had no problem dealing with them.

Just rushing in every time the team gets possession may not work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia