Connor McDavid Playoff Performance

Status
Not open for further replies.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I actually thought he played really well.

Used his speed, challenged defenders, played with a high compete level. But he's primarily a playmaker who relies on a lot of PP points and scoring off the rush - both things that tend to happen at a lower frequency in the playoffs because of how teams tighten up and the pace of play is faster. When everyone is playing​ at a playoff pace, there isn't usually a ton of chances to create off the rush. He may have to adapt his style a bit to really dominate in the post season - kind of like what we've seen from Crosby over time.

I noticed some similar "struggles" for McDavid at the WCH. As the pace picked up, he wasn't able to adapt his game - the competitive advantage that he gains from his speed and skill are less significant as the games get faster. At the WCH he often skated himself (and the puck) out of the play and was easily contained once he reached the boards. I think I saw him try the same "skate past the defense" move about a dozen times, and he was relieved of the puck every time before his linemates could get in tight enough to provide forecheck pressure, allowing for a quick one and done for the D.

It might do him some good to start slowing the play down a bit more - maybe instead of challenging the D off every rush, pull up, wait for some teammates, and try to establish some zone time. I don't think he's going to be able to rely on skating past defenders like he did in the regular season.

I wouldn't be shocked to see him "struggle" to produce in the playoffs until he learns to adapt his game a bit - find more soft spots in the defense, get his shot off a bit quicker, get to the net for garbage goals, and create off the cycle (obviously he's still very good at these things, but compared to his other skills, he could use some work).

None of that is meant as a criticism, but just opportunities for improving his effectiveness in the playoffs. For a 20 year old Captain in his first NHL game, I thought he looked really good and showed a lot of character.

ThirdManIn

Aug 9, 2009
It's been one game, most of his team lacks playoff experience in general, they all lack playoff experience together, and the game style changes. We don't know anything about what he can and cannot do this year, but considering his skill level it's fair to assume he will figure it out -- if not this year, eventually.

McClelland

Aug 2, 2011
Bergen
And that was just one post, but I have a pretty good idea what the rest of your posts are going to look like based on this one.

Can we please talk about the subject at hand? I started off by saying that I know that he's only one game in, can we stop repeating that and judge his performance?

He has only played 1 game! Hes a ppg player so far!

Draw Me a McElephant

Mar 9, 2011
He looked a little tentative, much the same way he did at the start of his rookie year, at the start of the World Juniors, World Championships, and World Cup. In all of those instances he adapted and will do the same in the playoffs I'm sure. Hopefully the Oilers can stay alive long enough for it to happen. Though they'll probably lose in 5 because McDavid's career has to mirror Crosby's exactly.

He wasn't that bad though. His first period was very good, and it is hard to judge him too harshly on the last 2 1/2 periods when the entire team was so badly outworked. His linemates played far worse than he did.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
McDavid was pretty bad and there is a reasonable argument to why his game may not be best suited for the playoffs BUT let me caution the posters in the thread to remember all the posts during McDavid's first few NHL games where Eichel was supposed to be better/have a game more suited to the NHL. McDavid needs to be a lot better tho, and if he isn't going to have much opportunity to produce off the rush, as I imagine he won't it will be interesting to see if he can adjust.

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
I don't know that he can do it in the playoffs.

I mean he probably can, but I don't know that he can.

You right...after 1 playoff game hes a playoff no show....:help:

I mean his line didn't dominate at all in the first period.....

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
OP: I know it was one game, but this thread will be made eventually, lets discuss his playoffs. His first game was poor

HF: LOL OP it's one game why are you writing off his career? LOL

OP: I said it was just one game, this thread is to discuss his playoffs and he only played one so far which is what I am discussing. I'm not saying this is representative of his future play.

HF: Oh man, OP is out to lunch. McDavid McDavid McDavid McDavid McDavid McDavid McDavid blah blah blah McDavid McDavid he's so great McDavid.

We get it, McDavid is great. No one is saying he is bad, stop being so damn defensive all the time.

crowfish

Jun 3, 2011
He had about 3 rushes that were partial breakaways, and had 1 assist. McDavid is so good that people actual call this a terrible game?

redwings25

Jul 28, 2016
just like about any young player in the league he needs to get stronger and work on his defencive game

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
People are saying he was poor? He was pretty damn dynamic out there. Not a great game from a puck possession standpoint, but he was absolutely dangerous.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
McDavid and Talbot were the only one's the were noticeably effective last night. Pavelski did a good job of keeping him frustrated though.

Saw a list of his on ice opponents last night. Sharks couldn't have designed it better if they tried.. Oiler's just got out coached

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
I really wish I could post McDavid and Pavelski interactions with eachother during the game. It was awesome.

McDavid won't react the same way in game two (I think).

John Eichel da GOAT

Oct 7, 2008
IMO it appeared the Sharks put bodies on him and he disappeared quick. He doesn't have the physical strength to absorb it and still control the puck yet like the current best player in the world. I havent watched enough games to see how he reacts to a big hit, but my guess is he will force the puck off his stick sooner than he normally would.

He still have the offensive explosiveness to be a game changer, but every team in these playoffs are aiming to physically dominate him.

The Examiner

Jun 24, 2013
I'll put it another way. Small sample size. You should be judging the teams performance in the game. Which by all accounts was typical of a young teams first game in the playoffs. I know you said it was one game, and I know it was one game. Impossible to judge his overall playoffs performance yet. Is this even thread worthy?

I don't think he's judging his overall playoff performance, he's talking about his performance in the one game and how Connor will perform going forward. Your comment is irrevelevant to the OP's question.

I think he was dangerous at times but not enough to make a difference. He was also flattened a couple of times when he tried to get physical.

He'll rebound. They're not going to keep him from doing his thing, every game. It's up to the rest of the team (minus Talbot, who was great) to step it up and not take dumb penalties.

Zazzaro703

Mar 18, 2016
Lake Tahoe
It's not really his fault. I think people will find it's the same thing that happens to Ovechkin in the playoffs, when the season is on the line teams will sellout to stop McDavid and it's up to his teammates to shoulder the load. Teams are not going to let McDavid beat them. Until his teammates step up, most of the attention will be on McDavid.

Psychoil

Mar 10, 2011
It's not really his fault. I think people will find it's the same thing that happens to Ovechkin in the playoffs, when the season is on the line teams will sellout to stop McDavid and it's up to his teammates to shoulder the load. Teams are not going to let McDavid beat them. Until his teammates step up, most of the attention will be on McDavid.

It was his first game in the playoffs, he will adjust, trust me.

And for your comments about how teams aren't going to let him beat them, he blew by burns twice . He will be fine, he wasn't great in his first NHL game either and look how that turned out

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
McDavid was not terrible. He just didn't meet the standard he set for himself and what people expect. However, there were a few players last night who were genuinely terrible. That's the situation I'm worried about. McDavid will be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad