Connor McDavid Playing With His PCL Torn In Half

tenken00

Oh it's going down in Chinatown
Jan 29, 2010
I'm well aware what level 3 means, and it isn't very good quality. If you're trying to come to any conclusion on a research question you better have some level 1 evidence to feel confident in your answer. And if you're ever trying to answer a question of prognosis or intervention for an elite level athlete then you had better be able to find a study done on high level athletes with similar sport demands otherwise you're comparing apples to oranges and it really doesn't tell you anything.

What the hell are you even talking about?

This isnt some patient controlled randomized study like in a level 1 which is where you have a control group and other groups undergoing different things at the same time. It's a study of documented instances over a long period of time.

I didnt even have time to see this assinine comment being busy at work at a CRO all day.

Last edited:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
If McDavid indeed recovered from what you see in that trailer...he should be nominated for the masterton. Unbelievable dedication to be ready for game 1 of the season after that.

And to now lead the league in points. If he ends up winning the Art Ross the Oilers make the playoffs ...MVP in the bag.

All this coming out definitely helps with this.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
There is no good surgery for a PCL. McDavid might end up being this generation's Mike Bossy.

If I'm him, I ask for a trade this summer. There's no guarantee he's going to be a generational player after his current contract.

Different sport, but this injury turned Brian Urlacher from an athletic freak in his mid 30s to finished in one season.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
According to an interview on local TV with one of the producers of the Whatever It Takes documentary.

His genetics are freakish. These ligaments do not heal often on their own due to lack of blood flow.

McDavid = Wolverine confirmed.

McDavid stars in new documentary

The rehab protocol he went through is apparently groundbreaking too and might be the gold standard going forward for athletes with PCL tears.

Last edited:
Reactions: ujju2

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Don Metz (filmmaker who worked on the documentary) was on CTV News in Edmonton tonight to talk about McDavid:

- McDavid's knee was so swollen they couldn't determine what was wrong until a few days later
- no one knew what the end result was going to be
- outlook went from career in jeopardy to out for 2 seasons to 1 season to maybe back by Christmas to if he would be the same player
- one of the most advanced non-surgical rehabilitation programs ever attempted by a star athlete
- rehab was 8-10 hours a day for five months
- McDavid "naturally healed a broken bone"
- McDavid "naturally healed a PCL to come together"
- they have MRIs and animations of what McDavid's knee looked/looks like
- rehab program is being described as groundbreaking

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
What the hell are you even talking about?

This isnt some patient controlled randomized study like in a level 1 which is where you have a control group and other groups undergoing different things at the same time. It's a study of documented instances over a long period of time.

I didnt even have time to see this assinine comment being busy at work at a CRO all day.
I'm not sure what you're not understanding. I'm saying that the article you posted is a poor source for anyone who is trying to decipher what McDavid's future might hold due taking a conservative treatment approach rather than surgical. The article alone is lower quality evidence due to the study design, and it studies a general population that is not relatable to McDavid at all, and likely not relatable at all to the rehab protocol and adherence to the program that McDavid went through.

So sure, anyone can read articles even if they aren't medical professionals, but if you read this article for example and came to the conclusion that McDavid made a poor choice by going the conservative route over surgery, then you'd be laughed out of the room by anyone who has any clue what they're talking about. Not only that, but the article itself cites that there is no clear conclusion in the existing literature whether or not an individual is more likely to have poorer outcomes in the future from either treatment option.

So to clear it up, I'm saying that the article you posted is shit, and the quote from the article that you posted for the shock effect is also shit.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
Don Metz (filmmaker who worked on the documentary) was on CTV News in Edmonton tonight to talk about McDavid:

- McDavid's knee was so swollen they couldn't determine what was wrong until a few days later
- no one knew what the end result was going to be
- outlook went from career in jeopardy to out for 2 seasons to 1 season to maybe back by Christmas to if he would be the same player
- one of the most advanced non-surgical rehabilitation programs ever attempted by a star athlete
- rehab was 8-10 hours a day for five months
- McDavid "naturally healed a broken bone"
- McDavid "naturally healed a PCL to come together"
- they have MRIs and animations of what McDavid's knee looked/looks like
- rehab program is being described as groundbreaking
Thanks for the post. Certainly a fascinating story and one I can't wait to watch personally. The natural healing of a completely torn PCL would have likely been through immobilization early on likely in a zimmer splint. It's obviously not common at all for such healing to occur in a fully torn PCL due to a number of reasons (poor blood supply, the two ends needing to approximate and scar together). Now, 10 hour rehab days obviously makes this an unsuitable protocol for the general population, but for elite athletes it's a pretty cool alternative to surgery, which to begin with isn't nearly as successful or common as ACL reconstructions.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
There is no good surgery for a PCL. McDavid might end up being this generation's Mike Bossy.

If I'm him, I ask for a trade this summer. There's no guarantee he's going to be a generational player after his current contract.

Different sport, but this injury turned Brian Urlacher from an athletic freak in his mid 30s to finished in one season.

I'm sure glad McDavid isn't a 35 year old linebacker coming off knee surgery.

Reactions: Crabapple

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I tore my PCL senior year of college. 10 weeks of rehab instead of surgery and I was back on the ice. I don’t feel like I lost a step. I was also a club team/beer league level player and never had much speed to begin with, but hey, finally something I have in common with McJesus.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I'm sure glad McDavid isn't a 35 year old linebacker coming off knee surgery.
Urlacher was still a freak athlete before that injury. He could have played 4-5 more years if not for it.

Shawne Merriman was another good football player that had that injury. He was injured at age 25, out if football by 29. Dude looked like he was going to be a top pass rusher. Had 10+ sacks his first 2 seasons.

I've never seen this injury in a hockey player before, so I can only go off of how devastating it has been to football players.

For McDavid, he's such an exceptional skater that it might take his skating from best in the world to merely above average. From everything I've heard, this injury saps explosiveness significantly.

EDIT: After reading the tweet, they may have found a new way to treat this injury. Apparently, McDavid opted for an experimental recovery that worked and saved his skating ability. Hopefully he's the guinea pig for elite athletes so that PCL injuries aren't career killers anymore.

Last edited:

Unspecified

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Apr 29, 2015
He could be doing Platelet-Rich Plasma (PRP) injections which has been proven to be extremely beneficial and in some cases surgery is not needed.

Reactions: Mc5RingsAndABeer

ImNeverWrong

THE HF ALPHA
Jan 18, 2018
McDavid- the best skater in hockey
Chara - probably the opposite

Yet hf doctors spam the thread with the notion of chara playing with a similar injury for years.

Lol. Carry on.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario

Urlacher also injured his MCL and underwent a different surgery than what McDavid would have.

They aren't really comparable.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad