Connor McDavid Playing With His PCL Torn In Half

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
To be honest I am actually shocked he hasn't been "shoved" more times than twice while traveling at a high rate of speed.
I think it's because the guy is just so quick. If you don't play the gap and go for the 'shove' against McD he may slip by you and burn you with a 2:1 or even a breakaway.

Reactions: Sam Spade

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Yeah, pretty idiotic. It was quite clear something was very wrong with McDavid to start the season.

They should have forced him to have his surgery and to recover properly. This celebration of people playing through injuries needs to stop. It hurts him and his team in the long run.

The amount of ignorance contained in your post is incredible.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
To be honest I am actually shocked he hasn't been "shoved" more times than twice while traveling at a high rate of speed.

Probably because going for knees is dirty 100% of the time and basically any player could be wrecked by someone targetting their knee, past history or no.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Yeah, pretty idiotic. It was quite clear something was very wrong with McDavid to start the season.

They should have forced him to have his surgery and to recover properly. This celebration of people playing through injuries needs to stop. It hurts him and his team in the long run.

The whole point of this special is going to be how he avoided surgery that would have altered his ability to skate and was able to heal better through rehab. And the reason McDavid was OK with the story being shown is his hope that others will be able to do the same.

KidLine93

May 15, 2012
All the internet doctors in here who think surgery is always the answer... proper rehab should always be the first option. Surgery is a great tool as a last resort. Its amazing seeing how much time and effort went into his recovery

Last edited:
Reactions: CycloneSweep

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
With so many injuries combined it’s crazy that he was able to heal all of them and be almost 100% to start the season.

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
Never been so thankful for dangling tendon fibers being able to cross over eachother.

flamesforcup

Sep 5, 2017
Holy crap out for 2 years to career in jeopardy?? Its insane how they kept that under wraps. Imagine what the Oilers would look like if Mcdavids out for 2 years.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
Anyone else watch “the Witcher”? Swear to god McD is a sorcerer killing his personality and youthful face to bring his knee back to life.

skuzzycuzz

Jan 7, 2012
All the internet doctors in here who think surgery is always the answer... proper rehab should always be the first option. Surgery is a great tool as a last resort. Its amazing seeing how much time and effort went into his recovery
He’s just lucky it was his PCL (something not critically important) not his ACL (Critically important for an athlete) he wouldn’t of been able to not have surgery.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
He’s just lucky it was his PCL (something not critically important) not his ACL (Critically important for an athlete) he wouldn’t of been able to not have surgery.

Yes it could've been worse, but I'd hardly consider him "lucky" based on what he had to go through.

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
After reading this, I hope something similar will not happen to any flames player when we meet them again.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Defeated by Barzal, would have been crazy if he won again with this

He lost by 0.05 seconds, and it was a career best for him. He'll definitely win it again and he's still the fastest player in the league.

landstuhltaylor

Feb 2, 2009
I tore my PCL back in 2017 on a nothing play, also a half tear. The consensus of the doctors I went to was that surgery likely wouldn't provide any benefit with how invasive it is. Since then I've done PT and as long as I keep up with all my exercises it's as good as it ever was before the injury. Still playing hockey at the same pace, backpacking in Utah, whatever I want to do really. Now if I start slacking then I do notice it.

Now obviously they aren't the same quality of doctors as McDavid has access to but all of the research I've done says that's a very common way to treat the injury. I wouldn't be worried about it.

Reactions: hitman9172

oilexport

Aug 29, 2010
Never been so thankful for dangling tendon fibers being able to cross over eachother.
So I wonder if the tendon healed that quickly and hes close to 100 % ? I'm no doctor but that seems like hes lucky ?

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
So this non invasive route.... Does it get mcdavid's knee back to 100% repair, or does it simply repair to a certain extent that enables him fit to play?

The reason I ask is because I wonder if he's more prone to re-injuring his knee now.

11Messier

Jul 3, 2010
Edmonton
I tore my PCL back in 2017 on a nothing play, also a half tear. The consensus of the doctors I went to was that surgery likely wouldn't provide any benefit with how invasive it is. Since then I've done PT and as long as I keep up with all my exercises it's as good as it ever was before the injury. Still playing hockey at the same pace, backpacking in Utah, whatever I want to do really. Now if I start slacking then I do notice it.

Now obviously they aren't the same quality of doctors as McDavid has access to but all of the research I've done says that's a very common way to treat the injury. I wouldn't be worried about it.
I’m glad that you are doing great! I just wanted to clarify that McDavid’s wasn’t a half tear. It was teared in half or in other words a full tear.

WesMantooth

Jan 7, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
So just watched this show on AmzPrime and the main thing I noticed was that they never showed any more MRIs after the one that showed the PCL beginning to reattach.

I’m definitely skeptical about how well it healed, and also very curious to know how well it reconnected.

I injured my knee in my Senior year of HS Hockey. Doc told me it was a partial PCL tear and I only needed rehab. I was back on the ice in under 3 months.

I then played 4 years of college and in my last time on college ice (post season intrasquad game) I reinjured the same knee... only I didn’t. The original doc misdiagnosed me, I actually fully tore my ACL in HS and then played 4 years college without one. And I had no idea.

I guess my point is you can have a serious knee injury and still feel 100%. But you’re kind of a ticking time bomb. My guess is he’ll reinjure it before he’s 30, get the surgery and play another 10 years. Probably win 3 cups along the way too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->