Connor McDavid and Jesse Puljujärvi Vs Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner going forward?

Which tandem do you choose going forward and why?

• Connor McDavid and Jesse Puljujärvi

Votes: 262 50.0%
  • Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner

Votes: 146 27.9%
  • Toronto Fan vote McDavid and Puljujärvi

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • Toronto Fan vote Matthews and Marner

Votes: 53 10.1%
  • Oiler Fan vote McDavid and Puljujärvi

Votes: 43 8.2%
  • Oiler Fan vote Matthews and Marner

Votes: 11 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
ITT : Fans of every other teams: McDavid AINEC.
Fans of the Leafs: TOEWS KANE2.0 YO

As if other fanbases can't be wrong or they voted 100% for McDavid and Puuju.

The safe bet is to go with the two guys who have already demonstrated superstar skill, not the one guy who is generational having to carry a guy who could be a good 30-30 guy without much problem to potentially being out of the league in a few years.

bionic

Sep 5, 2009
markham
McDavids the best of that group, but in hockey you need depth and players that can drive their own line. In Matthews and Marner you have two players that have proven to have the ability to do just that.

Reactions: The Assclown

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Mcdavid even without Puljujärvi . You want Marner level players just tank the next 1 year or 2. You want a McDavid Level player maybe once every 15 years? MAYBE.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
I'll take Connor over Matthews + Marner.
If Puljujarvi takes what he's done in training camp so far and puts that to practice consistently in the regular season, he'll just be icing on the cake.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
I'll take Connor over Matthews + Marner.
If Puljujarvi takes what he's done in training camp so far and puts that to practice consistently in the regular season, he'll just be icing on the cake.

You would think the Oilers were cup champs last year with hot takes like this lol. Two likely 80 plus point players combined are better than one 100 point player.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
You would think the Oilers were cup champs last year with hot takes like this lol. Two likely 80 plus point players combined are better than one 100 point player.

lol two "likely" 80 point guys, the question was just which 2, I went with the Mcdavid option and I can hold up later for a Marner level guy.

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
so PPG C + kid who was ppg the last 53 games of the season vs Mcdavid and a scrub?

if you take the blinders off

Leafs: 56g/76a/132pts (144 combined games = 0.92ppg)
Oilers: 53G/75a/128pts (147 combined games = 0.87ppg)

*the leafs duo had more goals,assists, and points in LESS games last year

the difference between mcdavid and matthews is significantly less than marner and poolparty

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada

I know I'm a homer, but the fact is that I've never seen someone handle the puck like McDavid does at the speed that he does it and it makes him easily the most exciting player to watch since Super Mario.

I feel like saying I take McDavid over Matthews + Marner is like saying I'd take Super Mario over Bure + Steve Yzerman and I therefore support both of those notions.

Nizdizzle

Offseason Is The Worst Season
Jul 7, 2007
Windsor, Ontario
twitter.com
so PPG C + kid who was ppg the last 53 games of the season vs Mcdavid and a scrub?

if you take the blinders off

Leafs: 56g/76a/132pts (144 combined games = 0.92ppg)
Oilers: 53G/75a/128pts (147 combined games = 0.87ppg)

*the leafs duo had more goals,assists, and points in LESS games last year

the difference between mcdavid and matthews is significantly less than marner and poolparty
d3dQm6V.gif

Conspiracy Theorist

Jan 30, 2016
McDavids the best of that group, but in hockey you need depth and players that can drive their own line. In Matthews and Marner you have two players that have proven to have the ability to do just that.
Draisaitl is better than Marner. I expect Pulju to be at least Nylander level player.

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Three. McDavid, Hall, Draisaitl. Except each of these players is arguably or significantly better than Marner.

Why is it that after drafting 3 of these Marner level players over the course of the last 7-8 years, did the Oilers finish 12th in the West and 23rd overall last season?
One would expect that after 4 first overall picks, 2 of which are far superior to anything the Leafs have, a 3rd overall centre who is apparently a justified $9+ million player, a 4th overall pick and a 7th overall pick, that the team would have something to show for it.

In fact, since 2010, this is the order the Oilers have drafted:

1, 1, 1, 7, 3, 1, 4, 22, 10

Maybe, just maybe, your evaluation of the players you've drafted is inaccurate.

In the same period of time, this is Toronto's record:

null, 22, 25, 5, 21, 8, 4, 1, 17, 25

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Why is it that after drafting 3 of these Marner level players over the course of the last 7-8 years, did the Oilers finish 12th in the West and 23rd overall last season?
One would expect that after 4 first overall picks, 2 of which are far superior to anything the Leafs have, a 3rd overall centre who is apparently a justified $9+ million player, a 4th overall pick and a 7th overall pick, that the team would have something to show for it.

Or maybe a team needs more than 3 good players to be successful?

pcruz

Mar 7, 2013
Vaughan
Or maybe a team needs more than 3 good players to be successful?

Well then, is RNH not supposedly equal to or greater than Kadri?
Which of the top 3 defensemen are lesser than Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev?

Didn't Talbot almost win a trophy?

Seems like the Leafs group accomplish a hell of a lot more with much lesser talents.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Well then, is RNH not supposedly equal to or greater than Kadri?

Is he? I don't know how Oiler fans feel about that, but I was focusing on the McDavid/Draisaitl/Hall trio, and your point about how shouldn't they have more team success because of them.

Which of the top 3 defensemen are lesser than Rielly, Gardiner and Zaitsev?

Is the Oilers defense supposed to be better?

Didn't Talbot almost win a trophy?

Didn't Andersen?

Seems like the Leafs group accomplish a hell of a lot more with much lesser talents.

Lesser talent? The depth of Toronto is superior to the depth of Edmonton. Just because Edmonton's top-end talent is better, doesn't mean their overall talent is.

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta

Don't think my post had anything to do with the Oilers results. I just answered his question. If you can objectively disprove my answer be my guest, but I'm sure I'll be waiting a very long time for that.

Reactions: Tad Mikowsky
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad