Connor McDavid and Jesse Puljujärvi Vs Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner going forward?

Which tandem do you choose going forward and why?

• Connor McDavid and Jesse Puljujärvi

Votes: 262 50.0%
  • Auston Matthews and Mitch Marner

Votes: 146 27.9%
  • Toronto Fan vote McDavid and Puljujärvi

Votes: 9 1.7%
  • Toronto Fan vote Matthews and Marner

Votes: 53 10.1%
  • Oiler Fan vote McDavid and Puljujärvi

Votes: 43 8.2%
  • Oiler Fan vote Matthews and Marner

Votes: 11 2.1%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McFlash97

Oct 10, 2017
the NHL is not ready for 2 potential "busts" according to HF to break out.

Puljujarvi 20
Rattie 25

if these guys break out this season, all h*** will break loose in the Western Conference standings.

Reactions: Mcnotloilersfan

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
Come back to me after this season when both have 90 points. I'll bet that Matthews has more goals than Pulj has points and Marner has more assists than he has points.
I'll counter with McDavid outscoring Matthews by 35+ points and having more assists than he has points, once again. As for Marner/Puljujarvi, we'll see but I just want to see progression from JP and so far he's looking pretty damned good from a technical/physical perspective and has the talent to become a 25/25 guy.

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
the NHL is not ready for 2 potential "busts" according to HF to break out.

Puljujarvi 20
Rattie 25

if these guys break out this season, all h*** will break loose in the Western Conference standings.

Based on what we've seen, its a decent bet that Edmonton will get good offense from at least 2 of Rattie, Pulju and Yama

Mcnotloilersfan

I'm here, I'm bored
Jul 11, 2010
Niagara
I'll counter with McDavid outscoring Matthews by 35+ points and having more assists than he has points, once again. As for Marner/Puljujarvi, we'll see but I just want to see progression from JP and so far he's looking pretty damned good from a technical/physical perspective and has the talent to become a 25/25 guy.

He has the talent to become more than that. Question is if he can put it together.

Dache

Feb 12, 2018
So you legit believe that Matthews wouldn't have hit over 80 points last year if he was healthy? Marner had a horrible first half and look where he ended up.

I think Matthews probably would have and yes marner had a great 2nd half, did you notice McDavids 2nd half? Or does that not count?

Mar 26, 2010
Matthews and Marner easily! Sure McDavid is great and all, but Puljujärvi is a bust.

I will also point out that Marner has more points than McDavid so far this season.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
McDavid. It’s close but I’d always take the generational player in the long run. If Puljaarvi improves a lot which is still possible then it’s not even close.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
[mod] McDavid is by far the clear choice if this was one for one. But Marner and Matthews are tiers above Pulju. Like a humongous gap. You're getting 180-200 points a season out of Matthews+Marner.
[mod] You never go wrong taking the generational guy over two very good players. History proves me right.
And you can’t just take the point totals of Matthews and Marner compared to McDavid. Based on that logic you’d trade McDavid for 5 Zach Hymans.
:laugh:

And 200 points out of Marner and Matthews?
Might want to slow the hype train down a bit.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mar 26, 2010
[mod] McDavid is by far the clear choice if this was one for one. But Marner and Matthews are tiers above Pulju. Like a humongous gap. You're getting 180-200 points a season out of Matthews+Marner.
Yup.

Mar 26, 2010
[mod] You never go wrong taking the generational guy over two very good players. History proves me right.
And you can’t just take the point totals of Matthews and Marner compared to McDavid. Based on that logic you’d trade McDavid for 5 Zach Hymans.

Matthews is closer to McDavid than Nucks fans will admit.

Craig Button

The C is for Coward - Brad Marchand 2024
Jul 28, 2015
Leaf Nation Torontonistan
First it’s ‘Gretzky’.
Second equating Marner and Matthews with Jagr and Lemieux is something only a hardcore Leaf fan would do.

No, the point is you take 2 great players over 1.
sorry for the typo.... my bed.

Conner is also no where close to either GretZky, Lemieux and Jagr.
But, I still had to make the point that 2 is greater than 1

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
No, the point is you take 2 great players over 1.
sorry for the typo.... my bed.

Conner is also no where close to either GretZky, Lemieux and Jagr.
But, I still had to make the point that 2 is greater than 1
It’s a very weak argument. Lemieux is generational. And Jagr is as close as they come. If you need to exaggerate to make a point then chances are your argument is very weak to begin with.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
You’re daft to think the opposite. You never go wrong taking the generational guy over two very good players. History proves me right.

Your example falls flat on its face when you inserted Zach Hyman in to your argument. Even at bare minimum if Marner slows down and Matthews produces at last year's pace, that's a minimum of 160 points. You literally get more out of having both of them. Do you seriously not understand the logic here or are you purposely twisting the logic? I know you hate the Leafs, but at least try to be neutral.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Your example falls flat on its face when you inserted Zach Hyman in to your argument. Even at bare minimum if Marner slows down and Matthews produces at last year's pace, that's a minimum of 160 points. You literally get more out of having both of them. Do you seriously not understand the logic here or are you purposely twisting the logic? I know you hate the Leafs, but at least try to be neutral.
No. My argument just illustrated how weak yours was. You don’t understand how to value players. You don’t just take the totals of two players and say they’re more valuable than one player. The Hyman example just took your weak argument to the logical extreme.
Try again.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How's Puljujarvi doing? Everyone was getting pretty mad at me when I was telling them he was a bust the whole way along. Kekalainen passing him at the draft should have been a tell-tale sign but people just want to buy the hype no matter what :laugh: how this scrub ever won a poll over Marner I will never know, that Leafs hater koolaid is one hell of a drug.

Apotheosis

Mar 27, 2014
Toronto, Ontario
No. My argument just illustrated how weak yours was. You don’t understand how to value players. You don’t just take the totals of two players and say they’re more valuable than one player. The Hyman example just took your weak argument to the logical extreme.
Try again.

McDavid is by far the better player yes. I don't doubt that. But just like your irrational Leaf hate (and it's self explanatory; I have seen your posts) you're not looking at the bigger picture here. Matthews if healthy, would have blitzed 50 goals this year and 90+ points (his start was literally so good, that if he regressed back to regular PPG like last year, he would have guaranteed finished with 90+ points). Marner again, if he regresses even back to his last year PPG, still finishes with over 80 points. Do you seriously not understand that you're getting roughly an extra 70+ goals by having two ELITE players over one generational player?

Reactions: Stamkos4life
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->