Player Discussion: Connor Hellebuyck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
Both got a contract neither earned is the head scratcher part.

This issue was addressed a couple of months ago on this thread. I don't have time to look for it, but it will clearly show of the seven or eight NHL goaltenders who are making between $5.75 million and $6.5 million per season, Hellebuyck has the 2nd best career stats, so he certainly deserves his contract.

Every goalie goes through rough patches. Especially if the defence is as suspect as it is with the Jets. It's worth noting that for the past two seasons, Hellebuyck has been lights out down the stretch, beginning in March.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Brossoit hasn't been good at all. Hellebuyck needs to sort out his mental game right now. Probably needs a break but Brossoit isn't too reliable right now. I'd give him the Minnesota game (Brossoit).
I actually would go right back to Helly against Minnesota to get the bad taste of last night gone . Like you say Brossoit hasn't exactly been lights out either .

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
Okay, lets all hope last night was the bottom out of Helly's recent streak of less than stellar play. It is great when he steals a game, but it as equally frustrating when the goalie's play gives you no chance of winning. Helly has now dropped down to 12th with a .919 SV%. If he can hold it here or ideally nudge it up closer to .925 SV% we will be okay. Saying that, I'd throw him back in on Saturday and bet on him playing lights out.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
Obviously Helle’s low water mark.
Can’t get too upset as he’s stolen quite a few for us.
I couldn’t finish watching after Perrault’s usual penalty.
Hate seeing us lose to Montreal and Toronto.
I’m expecting Helle to bounce back like he usually does.

Ducky10

Searching for Mark Scheifele
Nov 14, 2014
Are you seriously asking why his recent play is more important than it was months ago?
Maybe because id prefer to see consistency or an uptrend not a downtrend lol. Are you telling me if Laine scored 30 goals in the first two months then zero the next two months that wouldnt be concerning to you?
That has to be one of the silliest posts ive ever seen on here.
You valuing a 10 game sample over the previous sample is silly. It’s classic cherry picking, but it’s kind of what you do so I’m not surprised.
I don’t love his play right now but I’m not all that concerned. His level of play this year has been far more good than bad but it was never going to be consistently .930. It’s not going to be consistently sub .900 either, relax.

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
Both got a contract neither earned is the head scratcher part.
Still pav. Any time the two goalies are compared it loses credibility. If you said based on last night he is overpaid okay I can see your point and have a debate. When u immediately go to pav it’s a head scratcher . I’d still say even if u said Helly is overpaid he is still the best this club has ever had.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlphaLackey

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
You valuing a 10 game sample over the previous sample is silly. It’s classic cherry picking, but it’s kind of what you do so I’m not surprised.
I don’t love his play right now but I’m not all that concerned. His level of play this year has been far more good than bad but it was never going to be consistently .930. It’s not going to be consistently sub .900 either, relax.

Vasilevski, who won the Vezina last year with a .925, played 53 games. That's 39 possible 15-game stretches. They ranged from league average (.911) to otherworldly (.948); you'll find this variance with every NHL caliber goalie.

Through *nothing more than chance alone* a Vezina winner's 15 game stretch will have about a 1-in-6 chance of being about league average. So for a typical NHL goalie, yeah, that's about 5-7 times a year where you'll look back at their last 15 games and go "ugh wtf is going on?"

Like we first hand saw this phenomenon play out in the other statistical direction with Hutchinson. SURELY this would be a cautionary tale we take to our graves?

Last edited:

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Still pav. Any time the two goalies are compared it loses credibility. If you said based on last night he is overpaid okay I can see your point and have a debate. When u immediately go to pav it’s a head scratcher . I’d still say even if u said Helly is overpaid he is still the best this club has ever had.

His save percent over his career put him barely above the 1st percentile. I know we love our exaggeration here but it is ASTOUNDINGLY difficult to underestimate just how bad a starter he was. Whatever the opposite of a generational talent is. A degenerational talent, if you will.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Adam da bomb

May 1, 2016
His save percent over his career put him barely above the 1st percentile. I know we love our exaggeration here but it is ASTOUNDINGLY difficult to underestimate just how bad a starter he was. Whatever the opposite of a generational talent is. A degenerational talent, if you will.
You may as well compare Laine to Stafford because hey they both played on our 2nd line at one point.

Reactions: AlphaLackey
Nov 15, 2010
Western Canada
With Niku called up, the Jets currently have 6 defencemen making $1,000,000.00 or less on the roster, and the sad part is half of them play better than Kulikov. No team can win with that lack of commitment or emphasis to their blueline.

I can't put any blame on anyone really, the Byfuglien situation was not foreseeable and really left the defence crippled.

It just is what it is.

As for Helle, he has stood on his head more than enough this season, I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt during a bad stretch.

Reactions: Jets4Life

Saidin

Mar 18, 2015

Ungenerational.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
We're a while before hellebuyck drops to his usual save % around 916. Maybe he turns it around. Maybe he doesn't.

It is amusing, though, to see people pretending that he's a Hasek or a Price. We don't know what we have in Helley yet other than he's better than pavs.

My opinion is he's a below middle of the pack, not terrible goaltender, who gets on streaks occasionally. We can agree to disagree.

Pigseye

Oct 14, 2019
God this guy needs to go to puck handling school, I have seen beer league goalies handle the puck better than he does, mind blowing how bad he is at it and just shrugs it off.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
We're a while before hellebuyck drops to his usual save % around 916. Maybe he turns it around. Maybe he doesn't.

It is amusing, though, to see people pretending that he's a Hasek or a Price. We don't know what we have in Helley yet other than he's better than pavs.

That literally says nothing, as 99% of starting goalies are better than Pavelec, and no, that's not an exaggeration.

What we have with Hellebuyck is a goalie with a 7,000+ shot career and a save percentage well above league average, currently working on his third consecutive season of above-average save percentage. That says something very significant.

My opinion is he's a below middle of the pack, not terrible goaltender, who gets on streaks occasionally. We can agree to disagree.

As above, "who gets on streaks occasionally" describes 100% of NHL goalies. See which, how 2019 Vezina winner Vas's 15 game rolling SV% varied wildly from average to superhuman.

And no, I don't think he's the next Hasek or Price, goalies like that come around about as often as goalies like Pavelec come around from the other direction. But if we're keeping the arguments to things we can measure, he's clearly upper tercile and good enough that his best years will have him in contention for the Vezina.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Bang on, I fully agree with your opinion. Give Helle a rest.

I wonder if they're trying to buggy-whip Hellebuyck just a bit longer until some troops can come back. I'm fairly certain that some of the big names around here have established that about 55 starts in a year is when you start to run into the risk of fatigue and reduced performance. But yeah, a few more starts for LB. Give him the "lost cause" out of division games and some soupcans.

Reactions: kanadalainen

Jets4Life

Dec 25, 2003
Westward Ho, Alberta
It is amusing, though, to see people pretending that he's a Hasek or a Price.

Who here is comparing Hellebuyck to Hasek or Price?

We don't know what we have in Helley yet other than he's better than pavs.

You can't be serious. Hellebuyck is in his 5th season, and is the best goalie the Jets have ever had, even including the original incarnation of the Jets. We know exactly what we have in Hellebuyck. A NHL starter, who was above average in three of his four seasons (five if you include 2019-20).

You are entitled to your opinion, however flawed it may be. Pavelec, at 0.907% would be classified at "below middle of the pack."

If Hellebuyck ends the season at 0.907%, then proceeds to follow it up with two seasons at barely 0.900% then you may be proven right. It's highly unlikely, and we will have to wait until the spring of 2022 before Hellebuycks stats fall to the level you are suggesting he is at right now.

Last edited:

LowLefty

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 29, 2016
Connor has most starts in the league and looking at the season as a whole he's been excellent. The workload is heavy though... Brossoit should step it up so they could play the backup a bit more.

Good point
Maybe it's time to give him a couple of games off -
I'd have no issue with sitting him for two - let him settle down and take a break - IMO, he looked tired on a couple of those goals last night.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Who here is comparing Hellebuyck to Hasek or Price?

You can't be serious. Hellebuyck is in his 5th season, and is the best goalie the Jets have ever had, even including the original incarnation of the Jets. We know exactly what we have in Hellebuyck. A NHL starter, who was above average in three of his four seasons (five if you include 2019-20).

You are entitled to your opinion, however flawed it may be. Pavelec, at 0.907% would be classified at "below middle of the pack."

If Hellebuyck ends the season at 0.907%, then proceeds to follow it up with two seasons at barely 0.900% then you may be proven right. It's highly unlikely, and we will have to wait until the spring of 2022 before Hellebuycks stats fall to the level you are suggesting he is at right now.
When I say middle of the pack I mean for starters. Not every Tom Dick and Harry who gets a token couple starts

The Blue Baron

Nov 13, 2015
Hoser Country
One thing about Helleboi is he still stinks at handling the puck.

The second goal he gave up was yet another blunder in this department.

I guess he just does not have the talent to improve in this area?

I am aware Sbisa was a joke as well but it is what what it is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad