Connor Brown

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
His size is not an issue. At all. It's irrelevant.

I'm talking about his skating exclusively.

Dave Morrison mentioned in the last Hockey News that Brown needs to get bigger and better skater but if he continues to produce he could crack Leafs 3rd line next season.

"Connor seems to defy the odds and is the one of those guys that just loves to keep proving people wrong.". Morrison said. "The results are coming because of it, and he is starting to make his mark.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
lol @ people still doubting Brown... what more does the guy have to prove?

he was a top scorer in the O, and now he's a top scorer in the A.

sure, he might not end up being a top liner, but there is no reason as to why he can't develop into a 2nd line 50-60 point guy

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Really? I don't believe that with our fans

you would think a kid who dominated that league as a rookie would get more love, but nope. we still get "but skating and size" despite him improving in these aspects.

Brown is doing great and if he keeps at it, will be a top 6 player

you're not looking to give him credit for what he's accomplished so far , you already want to proclaim him a quality top 6 NHL player before he's played a game in the NHL

His skating and size are a concern , why wouldn't they be ? He's small and a mediocre skater , that pkg usually doesn't translate well to the NHL and probably why he wasn't given a few games this past season .

Last edited by a moderator:

mikebel111*

you're not looking to give him credit for what he's accomplished so far , you already want to proclaim him a quality top 6 NHL player before he's played a game in the NHL

His skating and size are a concern , why wouldn't they be ? He's small and a mediocre skater , that pkg usually doesn't translate well to the NHL and probably why he wasn't given a few games this past season .

I have watched a lot, and lol they are a concern. above average skater and if that's mediocre than I hope he continues to be mediocre. I love to see your reaction if Dion stays.:laugh:

Keep proving people wrong Brown and excuses will continue to come

Last edited by a moderator:

mikebel111*

I maintain what I say, some fans don't know a good player when they see one. so they continue to push same agenda even when that flaw has improved. they don't watch games and say"mediocre skater" wrong its actually above average skater.

Keep doing well Conner

jhmiddleton81

Apr 19, 2015
New York, NY
I think a comparable in terms of production would be like a Brandon Gallagher/ Clarke Macarthur. A player who is gonna give you 35-50 points every single year with 20 goals and can max out at 55 or 60 points. He is by no means elite, but he will be a solid contributer, and a very valuable component to this team in a few years. I find it a little odd how some of the Leafs better prospects are 7th round picks (Brown and Andreas Johnson) Makes me think that maybe our scouts weren't as horrible as we all thought, because that is impressive.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I see Sam Bennet crack the Calgary line-up for the playoffs and I think if you're ready you're ready. Connor Brown could make the Leafs next season with Nylander and Gauthier.

91Kadri91*

I find his skating awkward and his overall play really unimpressive.

Call me a critic, but this guy isn't going to find himself in our core.

Have to disagree.

His skating has improved significantly, and Kyle Dubas' comments on his possession abilities really intrigue me. His work ethic is also (reportedly) absolutely insane, which will only help him develop further.

Dubas also had this to say:
'Connor Brown, I think night in night out has been our best player through the entire season,' said Maple Leafs assistant general manager Kyle Dubas.

ProjectBluePuck

Jan 6, 2011
I know I may get flamed for saying this but, when I watch CB play he reminds me of Gilmour. I'm not comparing him to Gilmour, just saying that with Gilmour there was nothing that you could say he did in the way of overall skill that stood out. He wasn't the fastest guy nor the biggest guy on the ice. He didn't have the hardest shot, elite stick handling skills. But he had heart. He had an understanding of the game and a vision that made him elite. He was tenacious with and without the puck. He used head fakes and carried the puck with poise up the ice. Gilmour never waisted a play. Those qualities is what I see in Connor Brown. His success in junior and now on the Marlies is no fluke. There are just some guys who don't need to be the most skilled to be successful. Just like there are guys AKA Jake Gardiner whom have tremendous skill yet have no hockey sense.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I know I may get flamed for saying this but, when I watch CB play he reminds me of Gilmour. I'm not comparing him to Gilmour, just saying that with Gilmour there was nothing that you could say he did in the way of overall skill that stood out. He wasn't the fastest guy nor the biggest guy on the ice. He didn't have the hardest shot, elite stick handling skills. But he had heart. He had an understanding of the game and a vision that made him elite. He was tenacious with and without the puck. He used head fakes and carried the puck with poise up the ice. Gilmour never waisted a play. Those qualities is what I see in Connor Brown. His success in junior and now on the Marlies is no fluke. There are just some guys who don't need to be the most skilled to be successful. Just like there are guys AKA Jake Gardiner whom have tremendous skill yet have no hockey sense.

Just gets the job done. You look up and he is on the scoresheet making a difference.

I too like players like this. At times people like flashier players that look good but get less tangible results.

I'm not comparing him to Jamie Benn. But in terms of being picked late and becoming a core piece that slipped past teams at the draft. Maybe Brown can be that late rd steal for us.

He's got the heart and determination to succeed. And the skill of finishing on the ice. Easy guy you want to root for.

Last edited:

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015

Great post buddy.
I think what Connor lacks in talent he makes up for it with Hockey IQ(being at the right place/right time and heart). In that aspects he actually reminds me of St.Louis. Since I am pretty sure nobody gave St.Louis any credits when he was 21.
Can't wait for Connor to play of the Leafs and I agree with some of you that he might be a future A or C.

Byron Bitz

Apr 6, 2010
I think we should give him an opportunity to make the team out of camp, he'll have to really impress though.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
I think we should give him an opportunity to make the team out of camp, he'll have to really impress though.

Agreed. He knows there are openings in the top 6/9, and I wouldn't be surprised if he forces Babcock's hand by the end of the training camp/preseason

Think he will get a 9 game stint, and Babcock will make a decision from there.

Razz

Jan 23, 2011
Mississauga
Brown will be a leaf, it's just a matter of time. I'm really looking forward to watching him next camp. I'd be very surprised if him and Nylander don't make it at some point in the year if not opening night.

deletethis

Mar 17, 2015
Toronto
I think he'll benefit greatly from another full AHL season. I'd like to see the Leafs try him a little at center with the Marlies next season. He seems like a center playing the wing whenever I've seen him play.

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Agreed. He knows there are openings in the top 6/9, and I wouldn't be surprised if he forces Babcock's hand by the end of the training camp/preseason

Think he will get a 9 game stint, and Babcock will make a decision from there.

9/10 barrier means nothing because his contract has already started.

39/40 barrier means nothing too because he won't be UFA until 27 anyway

If it takes 9 games to decide to send him back down then so be it, but it won't be 9 games because of some artificial limit because that doesn't exist in Brown's case.

I doubt they bring him up for just 9 games. If they decide he's ready then he's here to stay, that's what Dubas has been preaching.

Bullseye

Jun 14, 2012
Niagara
I think he'll benefit greatly from another full AHL season. I'd like to see the Leafs try him a little at center with the Marlies next season. He seems like a center playing the wing whenever I've seen him play.

Ya - it's about physical maturity as well - if he's doing well with the weight training and he's progressing - they may leave him to fully get that year in. If his body isn't changing so much then I can see them bringing him up on his hockey alone - he's smart and adaptable.

It is a huge jump in every way though.

mcleex

Fire Parros
Jul 3, 2009
I really really really hope that the Leafs found a late round gem in this guy.
Because we somehow seem to **** up our 1st and 2nd round picks let alone finding someone serviceable in the 6th round
It would be a nice change for once

dballislife2

Jul 7, 2011
we're so weak at RW, connor has big chance of making the team, hes heading into his 4th year since being drafted so its time for a chance, and hes proven it in ohl and ahl

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $200.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $1,214.00