Connor Brown

Sonofamitch

Aug 2, 2013
Vaughan,ON
Always doubted him and he always proves me wrong. He's really developed nicely. I expect one more full AHL year and then NHL next. Great kid with tons of heart as well.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I think the only thing stopping Brown from making the team right out of camp is if they feel he isn't physically ready.

His AHL season was so impressive and he has that great work ethic I think would be hard not to promote him.

But who knows maybe with Babs around we leave them back until they are 'well done'.

Muston Atthews

Bunch of Bangerz
Jul 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
I think the only thing stopping Brown from making the team right out of camp is if they feel he isn't physically ready.

His AHL season was so impressive and he has that great work ethic I think would be hard not to promote him.

But who knows maybe with Babs around we leave them back until they are 'well done'.

I'd like Nylander and him graduating around the same time

JMilne*

Always doubted him and he always proves me wrong. He's really developed nicely. I expect one more full AHL year and then NHL next. Great kid with tons of heart as well.

Babcock loves to give kids with heart chances . i can see brown coming up . hes my favorite prospect

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Babcock loves to give kids with heart chances . i can see brown coming up . hes my favorite prospect

I agree, Babcock will absolutely love Brown. Gilmour was a 7th rd pick that led the OHL in scoring his final junior year. Made to the NHL as an undersized guy that beat the odds.

Brown was a 6th rd pick that led the OHL in scoring in his final OHL year, has beaten the odds thus far. I see some similarity in determination.

MJ65

Jul 12, 2009
Toronto
I agree, Babcock will absolutely love Brown. Gilmour was a 7th rd pick that led the OHL in scoring his final junior year. Made to the NHL as an undersized guy that beat the odds.

Brown was a 6th rd pick that led the OHL in scoring in his final OHL year, has beaten the odds thus far. I see some similarity in determination.

You are right Doug Gilmour was a round 7, selected #134 overall and he was passed on by so many times because of his season and I hope our management never make this mistake in future

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board

Looks like we're going to have a lot of Dougie Gilmours on the team in the near future. ;)

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looks like we're going to have a lot of Dougie Gilmours on the team in the near future. ;)

Gilmour was captain of the Cornwall Royals, Brown was captain for Strome and Mcdavid in Erie too. Yeah we have a lot of Dougie's here. ;)

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
Gilmour was captain of the Cornwall Royals, Brown was captain for Strome and Mcdavid in Erie too. Yeah we have a lot of Dougie's here. ;)

There will only ever be one Dougie for me.

While many of the OHL similarities exist, Brown is a different style player.

To me Brown is more a Stevie Thomas type player.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
There will only ever be one Dougie for me.

While many of the OHL similarities exist, Brown is a different style player.

To me Brown is more a Stevie Thomas type player.

THERE is only one true Dougie. Indeed. Anytime I read comparisons with him. I cringe.

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Out of interest, what would be the checklist to determine if a player is "ready". There are some obvious ones, but with the talk of being patient and not rushing prospects, do we ever really know if they are ready until they are tried at the NHL level? Would a great preseason be enough to surplant a UFA that was signed in the off season, or will they just wait another full AHL season before even thinking about having Brown up with the Leafs?

Leaf Lander

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 31, 2002
BWO Headquarters
tmlfanszone.blogspot.com
Like most good players they all start emulating the greats from watching them in person or on tv and they mix that with their own God given abilities.

Dougie was great over 20 yrs ago now so odds are they are emulating a player who emulated " killer ".

It's all good If they wear the blue n white :D

Last edited:

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Like most good players they all start emulating the greats from watching them in person or on tv and they nix that with their own God given abilities.

Dougie was great. Over 20 yrs ago now so odds are they are emulating a player who emulated Dougie.

It's all good If they wear the blue n white

I was thinking this the other day when Marner was talking about studying Kane and Gilmour. Kane must have done the same and evolved into a great player in his own right. The beauty of human beings is that we are unique and the learned skills and studied techniques combine with our own skill and creativity to become something all our own. It's exciting to watch guys like Brown buck the odds at each level and evolve into a player that leaves us grasping at comparisons to help us define him as a player.

Drew75

Sep 5, 2005
Out of interest, what would be the checklist to determine if a player is "ready". There are some obvious ones, but with the talk of being patient and not rushing prospects, do we ever really know if they are ready until they are tried at the NHL level? Would a great preseason be enough to surplant a UFA that was signed in the off season, or will they just wait another full AHL season before even thinking about having Brown up with the Leafs?

I see the 'checklist' as three key things:

• Skill / Talent Ready - provides an upgrade of skill or talent from similar player / position in your current roster
  • Mentally Mature - as much as some like to forget that pro-athletes are people too, a 20 year old kid with money to burn, tons of pressure, in the public eye requires a certain maturity to flourish. Confidence is one of the most underrated factors at play.
  • Physically Mature - able to handle big men hitting the crap out of you for 82 games a year plus hopefully playoffs.

An additional element to be considered is the environment of the current team.

colchar

Apr 26, 2012

Giving them more time in the minors is the best approach. The Leafs aren't going anywhere next year so let these kids develop for another season and then let them earn their spots on the big team the following year.

one77

Dec 22, 2013
Future looks bright with young talented kids with TONS of heart and willingness to win. Brown will fit right in with Babcock and the foundation management is trying to build here.

I definitely see a lot of Dougie in both Marner and Brown (Marner moreso in his playing style than Brown).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad