Connor Brown

hobarth

Jul 10, 2011
Holzer was ready for the nhl and played well this season. It's unfortunate timing that they couldn't re-sign him but obviously he wanted out of the circus atmosphere

I've never heard of TO even trying to resign him, I think he was moved because he simply wasn't good enough.

Brown is an interesting case I think, he's small and slow yet he still managed to have a decent AHL rookie year, surprising.

He scored reasonably well, which is good, but what's more telling is his shots for which to me is an indication of his offensive upside instead of just goals which could be puck luck. Leivo had 140 shots in 59 games last year, his rookie year or about 2 1/3 shots per game, I thought this was pretty impressive but this year he regressed in goals for but not shots for so I think there is still some promise in him, hopefully he simply had the sophomore blahs. Brown's shots for weren't as good, 131 in 76 games played, less that 2 per game but his point total percentage wise equaled Leivo's.

It's hard to get excited about either of these players because far better offensive contributers in their rookie years have never amounted to much in the NHL, if anything. In the Hockey News Brown is ranked as TO's 5h best prospect which doesn't mean he's a good prospect just TO's 5th best.

I think it'll be a stretch to expect Brown to become an NHL player because of his size, skating issues, small slow players rarely if ever carve out an NHL career, Brown so far has exceeded my expectations so hopefully where there's life there's hope.

Kubus

Jun 22, 2014
I watch the Marlies, but brown still has a way to go before he becomes a legit NHLer. Guys like Kadri, Frattin were more NHL ready than this kid is right now, when they were brought up.

Frattin could actually skate at the NHL level, and had a great release, but he has not been able to continue to improve. Brown, though he had a good rookie year in the AHL still has lots to workout before he can contribute at the NHL level.

I'm sure he will get a few games next year to prove what he has, but I'm expecting at least one more year of development, and hopefully domination, at the AHL level.

HarrisonFord

President of the Drew Doughty Fan Club
Jul 20, 2011
Toronto
I watch the Marlies, but brown still has a way to go before he becomes a legit NHLer. Guys like Kadri, Frattin were more NHL ready than this kid is right now, when they were brought up.

Frattin could actually skate at the NHL level, and had a great release, but he has not been able to continue to improve. Brown, though he had a good rookie year in the AHL still has lots to workout before he can contribute at the NHL level.

I'm sure he will get a few games next year to prove what he has, but I'm expecting at least one more year of development, and hopefully domination, at the AHL level.

The difference is that Brown has the toolbox that Frattin so clearly lacked. Brown has that in spades IMO. I think that's honestly the most important piece in successful development

91Kadri91*

I've never heard of TO even trying to resign him, I think he was moved because he simply wasn't good enough.

Brown is an interesting case I think, he's small and slow yet he still managed to have a decent AHL rookie year, surprising.

He scored reasonably well, which is good, but what's more telling is his shots for which to me is an indication of his offensive upside instead of just goals which could be puck luck. Leivo had 140 shots in 59 games last year, his rookie year or about 2 1/3 shots per game, I thought this was pretty impressive but this year he regressed in goals for but not shots for so I think there is still some promise in him, hopefully he simply had the sophomore blahs. Brown's shots for weren't as good, 131 in 76 games played, less that 2 per game but his point total percentage wise equaled Leivo's.

It's hard to get excited about either of these players because far better offensive contributers in their rookie years have never amounted to much in the NHL, if anything. In the Hockey News Brown is ranked as TO's 5h best prospect which doesn't mean he's a good prospect just TO's 5th best.

I think it'll be a stretch to expect Brown to become an NHL player because of his size, skating issues, small slow players rarely if ever carve out an NHL career, Brown so far has exceeded my expectations so hopefully where there's life there's hope.

Brown's skating is significantly better than it used to be. He's no longer someone I would consider 'slow'.

TheCLAM

Oct 11, 2012
Niagara Falls

You had a cautious point of shots for and finished it with a Hockey New's prospect ranking. He may be the most under-rated prospect on HFBoards based on his level of play the past two seasons. There's bust potential in any single player you draft, however, I will amend Brown for his encouraging signs.

I believe he has the potential to become a top 6 player going forward in the future. You mention Brown specifically as a scorer however, he's created offense in almost all situations.

I wouldn't exactly call him "small" or "slow". I don't understand how he's "small" as the league average in the NHL is 5'11.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
I find his skating awkward and his overall play really unimpressive.

Call me a critic, but this guy isn't going to find himself in our core.

mikebel111*

I find his skating awkward and his overall play really unimpressive.

Call me a critic, but this guy isn't going to find himself in our core.

His skating has improved a ton. and looks like you haven't seen him play with the Marlies at all. he creates offense on the ice and finished top rookie in points, not sure how on ice is unimpressive. very good player in top 6 in future. very impressive in all facets

part of our core for sure

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
His skating has improved a ton. and looks like you haven't seen him play with the Marlies at all. he creates offense on the ice and finished top rookie in points, not sure how on ice is unimpressive. very good player in top 6 in future. very impressive in all facets

considering you believe every prospect we have will turn into a quality NHL player it's going to be impossible for them to all be part of our core

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012

I've watched more Marlies in the year 4 months than I have Leafs. It's actually the only point in my Leaf fandom that I firmly believe I can evaluate some of these prospects we have down there.

Brown has an awkward stride and he's more of an opportunist than a creator. I think we're going to forget about him very quickly... I don't say that lightly.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I've watched more Marlies in the year 4 months than I have Leafs. It's actually the only point in my Leaf fandom that I firmly believe I can evaluate some of these prospects we have down there.

Brown has an awkward stride and he's more of an opportunist than a creator. I think we're going to forget about him very quickly... I don't say that lightly.

Brown's size and his skating the reason he fell in the draft and also going to be things that stand between him and a successful NHL career.

Big players at the NHL level can still use their size to their advantage for puck potention or shutdown roles when skating is average. Smaller players with average skating are not as effective.

Brown has beaten the odds so far so we have to keep hoping he can improve and beat the NHL odds for a late round pick. He has exceed my expectations as a pro so far.

Shwaguy*

If only his name were Conner Pulkinnen and he were drafted by Detroit....

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Brown's size and his skating the reason he fell in the draft and also going to be things that stand between him and a successful NHL career.

Big players at the NHL level can still use their size to their advantage for puck potention or shutdown roles when skating is average. Smaller players with average skating are not as effective.

Brown has beaten the odds so far so we have to keep hoping he can improve and beat the NHL odds for a late round pick. He has exceed my expectations as a pro so far.
Yes, 100%.

Beating the odds at certain point though becomes a different narrative altogether. In junior and the AHL it's kind of a fun little story, when you've "beaten the odds" in the NHL.. Usually it's because you're not good enough and you've found yourself a role on the 3rd/4th line.

He's not Marty St Louis or Tyler Johnson.

mikebel111*

yeah we were all saying that last season? What happened? he proved it wasn't a fluke and had a great rookie season

Brown continues to rise and excuses continue to come in:laugh:

whatever as Brown has done it his entire time, he will continue to silence the doubters

he is a creator for his teammates and watching his carefully proves it. will not be forgotten.

part of our core and continue to rise

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
If only his name were Conner Pulkinnen and he were drafted by Detroit....

Detroit has gotten a good reputation for hitting on later rd picks because they actually make the NHL and contribute and not because there fan base pimps AHLers on a hockey forum .

It doesn't matter what people say on this forum , all that matters is if he can take the next step and become a quality top 6 player and if he does he'll get the respect he deserves .

mikebel111*

Yes, 100%.

Beating the odds at certain point though becomes a different narrative altogether. In junior and the AHL it's kind of a fun little story, when you've "beaten the odds" in the NHL.. Usually it's because you're not good enough and you've found yourself a role on the 3rd/4th line.

He's not Marty St Louis or Tyler Johnson.

:shakehead

I really get the feeling people don't like it when a leafs prospect proves people wrong, so they continue to make excuses "yeah but size and draft and whatever"

Brown has heard this his entire career and yet he continues to defy the odds with his skill and hard work. on his way to a good career. what a nice player we have here

mikebel111*

Detroit has gotten a good reputation for hitting on later rd picks because they actually make the NHL and contribute and not because there fan base pimps AHLers on a hockey forum .

It doesn't matter what people say on this forum , all that matters is if he can take the next step and become a quality top 6 player and if he does he'll get the respect he deserves .

Really? I don't believe that with our fans

you would think a kid who dominated that league as a rookie would get more love, but nope. we still get "but skating and size" despite him improving in these aspects.

Brown is doing great and if he keeps at it, will be a top 6 player

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
yeah we were all saying that last season? What happened? he proved it wasn't a fluke and had a great rookie season

Brown continues to rise and excuses continue to come in:laugh:

whatever as Brown has done it his entire time, he will continue to silence the doubters

he is a creator for his teammates and watching his carefully proves it. will not be forgotten.

part of our core and continue to rise
I'll speak for myself, but I don't recall a lot of that last year. It was this year that people saw him and went, "Yikes, he can't really skate".
:shakehead

I really get the feeling people don't like it when a leafs prospect proves people wrong, so they continue to make excuses "yeah but size and draft and whatever"

Brown has heard this his entire career and yet he continues to defy the odds with his skill and hard work. on his way to a good career. what a nice player we have here
Um no, I don't really even know what your point is.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
Really? I don't believe that with our fans

you would think a kid who dominated that league as a rookie would get more love, but nope. we still get "but skating and size" despite him improving in these aspects.

Brown is doing great and if he keeps at it, will be a top 6 player
His size is not an issue. At all. It's irrelevant.

I'm talking about his skating exclusively.

Shwaguy*

His skating is average to above average now. Underhill will continue to work with him.

It's not an issue at this point.

mikebel111*

I'll speak for myself, but I don't recall a lot of that last year. It was this year that people saw him and went, "Yikes, he can't really skate".

Um no, I don't really even know what your point is.

lol you have not paid attention.:laugh:

people have knocked his skating since his draft days and he has improved a lot, heck I can even say he can breakaway from d man. His skating isn't amazing but it's above average now.

I am happy with these critics and even though, they are somewhat false now, Brown has lived off these and continues to prove people wrong

Einzakin

Jan 20, 2011

I kind of disagree. Frattin had all the skills ala skating and shot, but Brown just has a much higher level of hockey IQ. His skating isn't as bad as people are saying, and I'm surprised. He's also not huge, but he's not tiny.

Conor's IQ will allow him to adapt to the NHL. He slows the game down and is incredibly patient with the puck. His work ethic (cliche maybe, but its been talked about from everyone who's coached him) will bring him to the next level.

Matt Frattin just didn't have the confidence or hockey IQ. Kadri lacked consistency and had attitude problems at the starting. I don't see any of these issues with Brown.

mikebel111*

His skating is average to above average now. Underhill will continue to work with him.

It's not an issue at this point.

thank you. Brown has even said he needs to keep on getting stronger, His size may still be a bit of an issue though I cant say he has been physically dominated in that league, and remember he played every game this season,

his skating is decent and is not an issue anymore

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I feel Browns tempo and skill is best suited with Kadri. That's my take.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Lecce vs Udinese
    Lecce vs Udinese
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $100.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Czechia vs Switzerland
    Czechia vs Switzerland
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $935.00