Player Discussion Connor Brown (C) - Update: Signs 3 year, $10.8M deal

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I agree that he is a legit top 9 player. I guess it depends on your salary construction for you top 12 F. If your 4th line costs $5 million a team like the Sens prob have about $31 million for the top 9. If you want 3 top players making a combined $24 you have $17 for 6 players left. If White and Brown take $9 your other 4 players have to cost $8 combined ... it’s getting tight and your D or goalies may take some money from the forwards or a bad contact.
Are you assuming sub cap ?

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Are you assuming sub cap ?

I think so ? My guess is we sit about $10 under possibly with some dead cap money involved at the best of times. We might peak out 1-2 years at full cap but I don’t think it is sustainable with the fan base or owner.

foggyvisor

Jun 28, 2018
Connor Brown is a winner. Give him 8 for 8 + NMC and call it a day. Move him in year 7 so he can play for a contender.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
Really tough player to evaluate but all his closest comps, money-wise, absolutely crush him offensively and are all younger. $4.8 million on a 1-year term is, quite frankly, delusional and I would argue it borders on bad faith negotiating to start at that number.

FormentonTheFuture

Sep 29, 2017
Really tough player to evaluate but all his closest comps, money-wise, absolutely crush him offensively and are all younger. $4.8 million on a 1-year term is, quite frankly, delusional and I would argue it borders on bad faith negotiating to start at that number.
Not really. It’s standard procedure

Boud

Dec 27, 2011

You know how arbitration works right?

Team goes way low, player goes way high.

It's crazy to me that you think 2.5 is fine but it's the outrage for 4.8. He's worth something right in between. It's a negotiation

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
This is what happen when you have a coach that props up 3rd liners.
Yep. Deep teams get better deals on their players. On Tampa, Brown is getting less ice time and signs for less. I'm a big fan of bringing in UFAs to keep kids in their proper depth positions.

Reactions: Sweatred

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yep. Deep teams get better deals on their players. On Tampa, Brown is getting less ice time and signs for less. I'm a big fan of bringing in UFAs to keep kids in their proper depth positions.

That’s basically what Dadonov does - he will get the prime PP RW minutes limiting what’s left for Batherson (coming off an ELC) and Brown’s prime time opportunities. We may also see Norris setup on the right side for PP2 depending how/where Stutzle (LW/C) , Brown (LW/C) White (RW/C) shake out on PP1 and PP2.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
That’s basically what Dadonov does - he will get the prime PP RW minutes limiting what’s left for Batherson (coming off an ELC) and Brown’s prime time opportunities. We may also see Norris setup on the right side for PP2 depending how/where Stutzle (LW/C) , Brown (LW/C) White (RW/C) shake out on PP1 and PP2.
Thats still a lot of youth in the prime spots. For this season I have no problem with bringing in a few more role guys for the kids to play their way past. Alternatively, overpay to land haula and duclair, and then hopefully the kids play well enough that we could trade them out with retention at the deadline this season or next.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
I'm fine with the ask and the offer... That's why it's a negotiation lol... When you try to sell something, do you start low and go high? Or vice versa... They'll come to terms.

I'm expecting a 3-4 year at $4.5M AAV

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Thats still a lot of youth in the prime spots. For this season I have no problem with bringing in a few more role guys for the kids to play their way past. Alternatively, overpay to land haula and duclair, and then hopefully the kids play well enough that we could trade them out with retention at the deadline this season or next.

I agree it’s a lot of youth I just have a hard time deciding which one shouldn’t get a chance in the NHL - it feels like most have paid their dues. If one or two stumble a bit out of camp it’s an easy decision but what if they are all legitimately make the team? Norris “was” ready, Brown’s close to D+5 ... if they show they are ready it’s hard to hold them back at this point.

SensFactor

Oct 25, 2008
Ottawa
Get off your wallet Eugene, this penny pinching is embarrassing, Brown is the type of player we want to build the kids around.
4x4 is good and doesn't hurt the cap as the kids grow out of their 1st deals.
We are never going to shake the cheap label with Melynk as the owner. #melynkout
Another key RFA that we should have signed ages ago is 1 day from arbitration.

dumbdick

Galactic Defender
May 31, 2008
I agree it’s a lot of youth I just have a hard time deciding which one shouldn’t get a chance in the NHL - it feels like most have paid their dues. If one or two stumble a bit out of camp it’s an easy decision but what if they are all legitimately make the team? Norris “was” ready, Brown’s close to D+5 ... if they show they are ready it’s hard to hold them back at this point.
Yeah I agree thats a problem. I think we've got 3-5 potential graduates on forward this season. I'd try to go get one more good centreman via UFA or trade.

I'd try to gift about 3 permanent roster spots in the middle six to about 6 guys close to graduating (brown, norris, batherson, formenton balcers, unnamed breakout belleville player). I'd promise each of these guys some NHL games provided they don't significantly regress, but after that it's best man wins for the majority of the remaining games. I would explain that arrangement and tell them all to expect to shuffle around.

Bath and Brown are most deserving and should start in the NHL. If they play well enough, they might never go back down. The others might be stuck fighting for injury callups and that remaining spot.

If we have too many guys breaking down the door, fill the pressbox or trade somebody. And then run the same arrangement using that newly freed up spot.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
We are never going to shake the cheap label with Melynk as the owner. #melynkout
Another key RFA that we should have signed ages ago is 1 day from arbitration.
Money in, money out.
Dadanov in, Connor Brown out.
Murray in, Duclair out.

I hope Melnyk and Dorion prove me wrong.

If the plan was to play hard ball with Connor Brown, like Duclair, they should have traded him at the deadline.

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
I think the problem is not the money but much the term. Probably Brown and Duclair ask 4 to 6 years and team want them 2 to 3 years. I understand the player that want to be in the team when we gonna have success, and not just for the rebuild

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
I think the problem is not the money but much the term. Probably Brown and Duclair ask 4 to 6 years and team want them 2 to 3 years. I understand the player that want to be in the team when we gonna have success, and not just for the rebuild

It is hard to envision either DUC or BROWN in the top 6 in 4-5 years. If they are making any more than $2-3 they will be a drag on the payroll.

Leafmealone11

Aug 7, 2020
Money in, money out.
Dadanov in, Connor Brown out.
Murray in, Duclair out.

I hope Melnyk and Dorion prove me wrong.

If the plan was to play hard ball with Connor Brown, like Duclair, they should have traded him at the deadline.

They going to pay 3rd and 4th liners over 4 million? These players will be pushed down and all the new guys with better numbers will want a lot more than those guys.
Hardball with Duclair? Lol “here is more than anyone will give you, in fact you are now a UFA go look around if you can’t beat our offer you are welcome back”
That is the softest soft ball ever served in pro sports bar none

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad