Player Discussion Connor Brown (C) - Update: Signs 3 year, $10.8M deal

Odie Cleghorn

Jun 8, 2020
meh down to keep him around for 3 years or so but players like him should def not be handed long term deals. We should learn from White
What is to be learned from White? He had 41 pts in what was really his rookie season. He had injuries. a sophomore slump, and was I believe on a pt a game clip over the last 15 games or so. If he doesn't break out this year (assuming the coach gives him a chance) then the contract is bad.

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
What is to be learned from White? He had 41 pts in what was really his rookie season. He had injuries. a sophomore slump, and was I believe on a pt a game clip over the last 15 games or so. If he doesn't break out this year (assuming the coach gives him a chance) then the contract is bad.
But if he returns to rookie form at 40 pts, is his contract still bad? Will underperforming on the second year of his contract really make his contract a huge anchor for Ottawa?

I don't think anyone expected White to evolve into a 50 pt two way force the first year of his contract new contract/sophomore NHL season. Kid's got another year where I'd expect around 30-40pts two-way guy for him to be par for the course, while anything over is a good deal . This is also in context of Ottawa likely being in the lower end of the league for offensive output (24OA last year) whereas his rookie season had us as an average offensive team (15OA).

Players dont sign long term deals where they're underpaid most of the term. Especially when you don't bridge them, you're lkely to be overpaying them based on their development curve the first couple of years , while hoping to reap the benefits when they peak the tail half of the contract with your team is at its most competitive, giving you cap space to sign additional talent. It's why elite guys go for a 2-year bridge a la Subban to bet on themselves for a big 60+ mil contract, vs teams betting on them a la Karlsson being underpaid his first 5 years of his contract, before fairly being paid (or underpaid) at year 6+.

Another example is Jeff Skinner who signed at 5.725 mil x 6 years after a 60 pt and 50 pt season on his first 2 ELC years. Team bet on him breaking out into a consistent 60-70 pt player, where he's been a 50-60 pt at his best, in the latter half of his contract, while being a 30-50 pt player in the first 3 years.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
It’s not nesssarcy to give long term contracts to guys who aren’t stars
It’s okay to do bridge deals or short term deals to see if guys can prove their worth

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013

I don't think the situations of their signing are remotely similar.

Reactions: bert

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
He is nothing special. He should be a 3rd line forward by next year. Anything over 3.5 mil should mean he is moved out.

he’s a very solid, young depth player that plays the way the team is being build. I get what you’re saying he’s not the starting goalie but it’s important we sign him and have that depth. And he is an important piece, teams with excellent depth win, especially next year when Covid will knock some peeps out

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Why keep Brown when we flipped Pager, MD, MS, EK, RD etc for assets.

The idea shouldn’t be to restock the cupboard and try to build a conventional winner with $40 million less revenue than everyone else ... it should be to double down on UFA’s, draft well, and turn every good player into 2 good players until the 4th line loaded.

Flip Brown for prospects and picks and resign someone next year for $4 million. He is good but replaceable at that cap hit.
Nah we don’t need picks we have to start building

brown is a solid player who plays the way you need to win I can see the reason in keeping him

Reactions: Xspyrit

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Nah we don’t need picks we have to start building

brown is a solid player who plays the way you need to win I can see the reason in keeping him

I like him but I can’t see this franchise ever succeeding in big market hockey roster construction... maybe others do. I prefer being the best at something unconventional vs the weakest at the conventional.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
3.5 m

3rd liner and not a core piece, really like him in our bottom 6 but cant overpay for those players

Its a good number for a 2-5 year contract. If they go to arbitration .. He likely gets awarded that (close to the mid point of offer and ask) .. and it would be for 1 year. I think Brown would chose that option.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Its a good number for a 2-5 year contract. If they go to arbitration .. He likely gets awarded that (close to the mid point of offer and ask) .. and it would be for 1 year. I think Brown would chose that option.

5 years is ridiculous for a bottom 6 player as all the rookies come off ELC’s in year 4 and 5. We would have to sacrifice top 6 salary to boost our bottom 6 with contracts like that. We could easily be forced into having a $8 million second line because we have a $15 million third line with Brown, White, and Dadonov or another bad contract in 3 years.

Reactions: Gesus and otown

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
5 years is ridiculous for a bottom 6 player as all the rookies come off ELC’s in year 4 and 5. We would have to sacrifice top 6 salary to boost our bottom 6 with contracts like that. We could easily be forced into having a $8 million second line because we have a $15 million third line with Brown, White, and Dadonov or another bad contract in 3 years.
I prefer to call Brown a top 9 forward. Three lines with interchangeable parts that can all score.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I prefer to call Brown a top 9 forward. Three lines with interchangeable parts that can all score.

With the Sens young players/prospects not yet firmly established in top 6 roles .. Brown can't be cast as exclusively a bottom 6 forward in this lineup yet. It is the reason he has asked for 4.8 .. because of the amount we used him and the uptick in production as a result. Realistically Brown should not be on a PP. If he is its because A . The coach can't stop drooling when he is on the ice ... (a condition we seem to have) or B. The rest of the roster is pretty bad (another condition we pretty much had at least)

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019

I agree that he is a legit top 9 player. I guess it depends on your salary construction for you top 12 F. If your 4th line costs $5 million a team like the Sens prob have about $31 million for the top 9. If you want 3 top players making a combined $24 you have $17 for 6 players left. If White and Brown take $9 your other 4 players have to cost $8 combined ... it’s getting tight and your D or goalies may take some money from the forwards or a bad contact.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I'd give C. Brown a 3 yr deal for about $4 mil per yr ($12 mil), by the time the term is done than I expect that Pinto & Sokolov should be ready to start pushing for a spot on RW. He might also be good enough to either hang on to or trade for a good prospect/pick at that time when the Sens should be in a playoff race. At the moment he is the 2nd best RWer on the team, maybe Batherson passes him at some point this yr, but we all know the coach trusts C. Brown more & most likely will play him more.

Last edited:
Reactions: SensFactor

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016

I think it's a tough spot for him and the team really,Because next season hes gonna get reduced minutes with Dadonov Batherson and Watson eating a decent chunk of what he got last year.

Under the current circumstance I think 3.5 on a 3 or 4 year deal back loaded would be ideal for both parties. Hes gonna get a lesser role so banking on a one year deal could work but could not to get term in next years ufa class.

We can't be committing 4+million to guaranteed bottom 6ers.

Ottawa has to be prepared for these situations where bottom 6ers get great minutes and opportunities to produce, when on a winning team guys like Brown (and Duclair) will have much lesser roles.

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
I think it's a tough spot for him and the team really,Because next season hes gonna get reduced minutes with Dadonov Batherson and Watson eating a decent chunk of what he got last year.

Under the current circumstance I think 3.5 on a 3 or 4 year deal back loaded would be ideal for both parties. Hes gonna get a lesser role so banking on a one year deal could work but could not to get term in next years ufa class.

We can't be committing 4+million to guaranteed bottom 6ers.

Ottawa has to be prepared for these situations where bottom 6ers get great minutes and opportunities to produce, when on a winning team guys like Brown (and Duclair) will have much lesser roles.

Agreed. If he'd take 3.5 on a 3 or 4 year deal.. It would be a great solution

playasRus

Mar 21, 2009
I'd give C. Brown a 3 yr deal for about $4 mil per yr ($12 mil), by the time the term is done than I expect that Pinto & Sokolov should be ready to start pushing for a spot on RW. He might also be good enough to either hang on to or trade for a good prospect/pick at that time when the Sens should be in a playoff race. At the moment he is the 2nd best RWer on the team, maybe Batherson passes him at some point this yr, but we all know the coach trusts C. Brown more & most likely will play him more.

A 2-3 year deal also let's us trade him in 1-2 years if he's still productive for a 1st-2nd round pick, if the kids flourish and make him expendable.

cj19

Jul 21, 2016
C . Brown is worth 3 million dollars a year in the flat cap/covid era. Brown numbers are inflated because he played lot more minutes for the Sens then he would play on most teams.

Reactions: Yak

Yak

Jun 30, 2009
Los Angeles
www.androidheadlines.com
If he gets anything over the $4.5 we let him walk.

The White situation may haunt us but we already sent a message to Duclair and will with Brown also. If he is a UFA he will not get 4.5 from any team in the league or the same opportunity he has here just like Duclair is finding out.

I like Brown but not $4.5 Brown. He is a $3.0 all day long in my books.

White be the whipping boy soon if he does not start to earn that contract. Is not matter of being cheap but matter of being smart with money otherwise we will have a team full of guys all wanting more than their worth.

Reactions: Gesus and DrEasy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad