Conn Smythe Winner?

catters078

Jun 18, 2008
Australia
I think its Khudobin if its Dallas.

Main thoughts are if they are to win 3 more times its going to take some extraordinary games from him. If he executes that added to his Vegas series, would be enough weight for the conn smythe.

Even if Benn and Miro play super well in next few games, i cant see Dallas winning with Khudobun playing average.

He needs to be great to win it for Dallas. Which, would be enough for CS

Lollipop

Jul 23, 2013
Klingberg has been Dallas best d-man. It should be him if Dallas wins.

It’s Hedman easily if Tampa wins.

Islay1989

Feb 24, 2020
For the life of me, I can't understand how a goalie who was barely passable in the 1st round, awful in the 2nd, good in the conf finals and OK so far in the Finals can be even considered when you have Heiskanen and Klingberg on the team. Klingberg is the main reason they got past the Avs, well he and Francouz/Hutchinson somehow managing to suck even more than Khudobin. He was great against Calgary. Great against Vegas and is doing pretty damn good in the Finals. Either way, a Swedish D should win, either Klingberg or Hedman.

Reactions: I am not exposed

Pure Slaughter Value

Jun 6, 2002
New York
Visit site
iu

soundwaves

Mar 22, 2019
Crazy how the leading scorer for the playoffs and is also breaking all time team playoff records is not even a consideration for most people.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Kucherov is a pretty strong dark horse, IMO. A big finish could win it for him. It'll be hard to ignore a massive point total, if he keeps going.

It's always tough to say how many games the voters actually watched on the run up to the SCF, although this year there was obviously more opportunity to watch each and every game. And Hedman had three incredible rounds. But the SCF is weighted more heavily, so I think Kucherov is still in the race if TB wins. Given the way Point is so hobbled, Kucherov is likely to pull ahead of him and into 2nd.

Reactions: soundwaves

I am not exposed

Mar 16, 2014
Vancouver
Unless Khudobin posts 3 shutouts to win the series, he will be the worst conn smythe winner in recent memory. Even worse than the "lifetime achievement" one Crosby won a few years ago.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
So my money wouldnt be on him at this moment, maybe not even top 4.... but the guy is still 15-5-1 witrh a 929 SV% (586 SV) and 1.88 GAA

I know Tampa is a great team, but if those arent Conn Smythe worthy numbers in a year where scoring has gone up a bit, I dont know what is.

Khudobin has been a great story being a career backup and all, but his numbers are noticeably inferior to Vasi's:
13-7
922 SV% (624 SV)
2.57 GAA

and Dallas, even though they changed coaches earlier this year, have been a D system team for several years now, maybe even more so than TB.

My 2 cents. Your thoughts?

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
So my money wouldnt be on him at this moment, maybe not even top 4.... but the guy is still 15-5-1 witrh a 929 SV% (586 SV) and 1.88 GAA

I know Tampa is a great team, but if those arent Conn Smythe worthy numbers in a year where scoring has gone up a bit, I dont know what is.

Khudobin has been a great story being a career backup and all, but his numbers are noticeably inferior to Vasi's:
13-7
922 SV% (624 SV)
2.57 GAA

and Dallas, even though they changed coaches earlier this year, have been a D system team for several years now, maybe even more so than TB.

My 2 cents. Your thoughts?

It's definitely conn smythe worthy numbers - that's not the problem. The problem is Tampa is so strong that there's a strong perception they can/should win without him. He hasn't felt like the MVP. Maybe if Dallas ends up dominating 3 straight games with crazy shot amounts and Vasi stands tall, it can change the perception and give him a chance, but I doubt it. For Tampa it's either Hedman, Point or Kucherov.

There's probably a parallel to be made with Vasi this year and Hasek in 2002. Hasek posted 920 sv% and 1.86 GAA....but playing on one of the most loaded cup champions ever in Detroit. He didn't win the Smythe, Lidstrom did, and there's a good chance he wasn't even runner up, as that would have been Yzerman.

Nautica54

Nov 28, 2015
likely not a chance, and that's a reflection of the team he plays on has 2-3 other players that are going to garner more consideration between heady, point, and kuch.

Love vasy and he's been great but would be hard to vote for him over those three on his own team.

Maybe he gets 3 shutouts and steals it (fingers crossed).:sarcasm:

KPower

Jan 17, 2012
Khudobin’s numbers have improved as the playoffs have gone on. He’s virtually a lock if Dallas wins. Heiskanen would have to be special in this series to overtake him imo.

Vasi definitely has Conn Smythe numbers but Hedman is having a playoff for the ages. So edge to Hedman so far with Vasi and Point not far behind.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Yeah no chance he wins the Conn Smythe with a stacked top line and a Norris level dman in front of him. He's good, but he's not putting up a performance that overshadows some of his teammates who are also having incredible playoff runs. If no Tampa player even had 20 points and the scoring was more spread out then maybe, but Tampa isn't the type of team to just get dominated in a series and need him to carry them for a while. He's a good goalie playing behind a great team and the result is this

Reactions: LAINEC

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I want to start this by saying Vasi has been great. He has allowed maybe three soft goals all playoffs, and has been as steady as can be back there (@Bleedred I know you tend to track "softies" so you can correct me if I'm wrong).

The thing is the Lightning have controlled a ton of the play in all three of their series to date. Vasi had a performance for the ages in the 5OT game, but Korpisalo had to work even harder. Vasi was terrific in the Islanders series but Varlamov simply kept the Isles in it when the doors could have easily been blown off. Halak didn't play particularly well, but Boston was dominated in all facets so Vasi never really had to "steal" the show.

And that's what it comes down to. Generally when a goalie wins the Smythe, they steal some games along the way, and maybe even a series or two. With all due respect to our competitors to this point, I don't think even fans of the Isles, Bruins, or Jackets would claim that they outplayed us for the whole of a series. It hasn't felt like Vasi has stolen any games so far because the team has played so well in front of him.

Credit to him - he's made the saves we needed him to make, but he just hasn't really been put in a position to need to be the best player on the ice in a given night.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Vasy's been very solid. The problem is the team hasn't really played poorly enough that he needs to shine more than a few times per game. I can't think of a game where he "held us in" long enough for us to break through.

I don't think he's completely out of the conversation. As far as I'm concerned, TB has four candidates:

Hedman is the favorite. He's been amazing wire to wire, and I don't think he's had a single game where he's been less than "very good" relative to everyone else on the ice, and, more often than not, he's been the most impactful player for either team.

Point has provided so many heroics that he's right there too. But the injury has slowed him down and it feels like he could fade from contention as we get closer to the end.

Kucherov is a darkhorse, but a strong final might make his numbers impossible to ignore.

And then there's Vasy, who's got the great numbers, but he's put those numbers up by just being solid night after night, and stellar in the rare times he's needed to be. If he steals a couple of games in the final, he could jump to the front of the pack. But for now I think he's a darkhorse like Kucherov.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Vasi has been solid but honestly his life has been kinda easy in these playoffs. Tampa has played way too good for him to be considered. I don't see how he gets voted over any of Hedman, Point or Kucherov unless he goes crazy in these last few games.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Vasi has consistently been Tampa's best player all playoffs on a game by game basis. Hedman would be second.
I don't know if this post is trying to promote the idea that Vasi somehow robbed the Islanders or whatever but it's just flat out wrong.

Vasi has been good, very solid. Best player on the Lightning? Not even close.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad