Conn Smythe Winner?

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
I don't know if this post is trying to promote the idea that Vasi somehow robbed the Islanders or whatever but it's just flat out wrong.

Vasi has been good, very solid. Best player on the Lightning? Not even close.

Not even close? Can you name 5-6 players on Tampa that have been more important to their run?

I've seen every Lightning playoff game (not the round robin) so based on that yes. How many weak goals has he allowed?

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I feel Vasi, should he continue to play at this level, has as good a chance as any. Now, with that said, if Hedman continues putting up a bunch of points, it's his. The thing is, I don't think Hedman has been great defensively, so I don't consider his a dominant performance. If he were lights out defensively, he would be untouchable.

Kcb12345

Jun 6, 2017
Not even close? Can you name 5-6 players on Tampa that have been more important to their run?

I've seen every Lightning playoff game (not the round robin) so based on that yes. How many weak goals has he allowed?

Lmao what? Can't name 5 or 6, but can name 3 easily. Can you name 5 or 6 players that have played better than Hedman, Kucherov, or Point for the Lightning?

Reactions: LAINEC

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
It's definitely Hedman ahead of Vasilevskiy. Bolts limit scoring chances against so much that it's not the goalie that's winning them the games.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
solid, not spectacular. he isnt stealing games, he's just not losing them, a non factor.

Kucherov, Hedman and Point are by far the better candidates

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Khudobin’s numbers have improved as the playoffs have gone on. He’s virtually a lock if Dallas wins. Heiskanen would have to be special in this series to overtake him imo.

Vasi definitely has Conn Smythe numbers but Hedman is having a playoff for the ages. So edge to Hedman so far with Vasi and Point not far behind.
I wouldnt say hes a lock... Goalies rarely if ever win the Conn Smythe and Heiskanen is breaking records. I wouldn't be surprised at all if Dallas wins Miro gets it.

J bo Jeans

Aug 7, 2020
Ottawa
Last two goalies to win the Conn Smythe. Quick and Thomas. Both of them had under 2 GAA and over .940 save percentage. Neither goalies have attained either one of those stats.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Last two goalies to win the Conn Smythe. Quick and Thomas. Both of them had under 2 GAA and over .940 save percentage. Neither goalies have attained either one of those stats.
true, but scoring has gone up a bit in the past few seasons.... Cam Ward only had a 920 sv% when he won it in the PP crazed year.

Obviously all depends on what happens in these Finals if he stands on his head or not. But I admit, the fact that there are 3 other good candidates for TB, its unlikely Vasi will get it.

PaulGG

May 15, 2011
Vasy's been very solid. The problem is the team hasn't really played poorly enough that he needs to shine more than a few times per game. I can't think of a game where he "held us in" long enough for us to break through.

I don't think he's completely out of the conversation. As far as I'm concerned, TB has four candidates:

Hedman is the favorite. He's been amazing wire to wire, and I don't think he's had a single game where he's been less than "very good" relative to everyone else on the ice, and, more often than not, he's been the most impactful player for either team.

Point has provided so many heroics that he's right there too. But the injury has slowed him down and it feels like he could fade from contention as we get closer to the end.

Kucherov is a darkhorse, but a strong final might make his numbers impossible to ignore.

And then there's Vasy, who's got the great numbers, but he's put those numbers up by just being solid night after night, and stellar in the rare times he's needed to be. If he steals a couple of games in the final, he could jump to the front of the pack. But for now I think he's a darkhorse like Kucherov.

Far and away Hedman’s best playoff in his 10 year career and on pace with best of them statistically. He is leading the team as well.

theVladiator

May 26, 2018
Hedman is the top Smythe contender from Tampa side.

On topic of Vasilevsky, I think he is sometimes underappreciated because people think his job is made easier by the strong Tampa team. While on the one hand it is partially true, with Tampa strong offense often controlling the play, on the other hand Tampa's play in the defensive zone has been rather meh. There are tons of defensive breakdowns and high quality chances against Tampa. I am not saying Tampa should try to turn into defensive juggernaut like Isles or Dallas, but that it's Vasilevsky's strong play that allows them to play the way they do.

Reactions: x Tame Impala

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Lmao what? Can't name 5 or 6, but can name 3 easily. Can you name 5 or 6 players that have played better than Hedman, Kucherov, or Point for the Lightning?

The poster said "not even close". If Vasi's not even close to being the most important player during Tampa's run then logically you should be able to name 5-6 more important.

Vasi has let in more than 3 goals just twice but more importantly let's look game by game:

All 4 wins against Columbus were 1 goal games
2 wins against Boston were 1 goal games
2 wins against NYI were 1 goal games

Against the Islanders in the last 5 games of the series Tampa lead the games for less than 10 seconds combined.

In the playoffs Tampa is 6th in GF, 3rd in GA. Tampa's defensive play has them this far in the playoffs, not their offense.

1.88 GAA and 92.9 save %

Vasi hasn't had to steal them any playoff games this year because he's not letting in soft goals and thus doesn't need to steal games.

I think there's arguments for other players (mainly Hedman)...but to say Vasi's not close to the Smythe is ridiculous.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I feel Vasi, should he continue to play at this level, has as good a chance as any. Now, with that said, if Hedman continues putting up a bunch of points, it's his. The thing is, I don't think Hedman has been great defensively, so I don't consider his a dominant performance. If he were lights out defensively, he would be untouchable.
I'd love to see what "great defensively" is if Hedman hasn't been it.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Crow

May 19, 2014
When it comes to Vasi, Corey Crawford was better in 2013 with less competition and still didn’t win the Conn smythe .932 and 1.84 GAA

Last edited:

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
When it comes to Vasi, Corey Crawford was better in 2013 with less competition and still didn’t win the Vezina. .932 and 1.84 GAA
This is the Conn Smythe thread though.

Gnome17

Mar 4, 2016
Sweden
I dont think Klingberg is there yet or has a chance to get there, but just wanted to point out that I think he has been really good since the start of the Vegas series, he might be Stars best players since then not named Khudobin.

For Dallas its probably Khudobin and Heiskanen, in that order for now.
And for Tampa I think I have Hedman and then Point/Vasi.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Well I guess he's untouchable then

Reactions: JoVel

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad