News Article: CONFIRMED: No suspension for PK Subban

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
The problem is the reaction to it. Yes its a penalty, it was a dumb play by Subban, but as someone mentioned before the refs are biased towards Subban, reverse this play and yes it would have been 2min maybe and a dive call. secondly Ottawa is calling for suspension, discipline etc etc. yet 2 years ago when a vicious hit did occur their management acted like nothing happened and it was Diaz fault. Was Gryba out the same amount of time as Eller? When these things don't get dealt with properly initially they fester. I'm not saying that's why Stone was hurt, but its like these two teams and the refs are just waiting for something to happen. hence the overreaction on the Subban play.
To compare, Gallagher is known to the league as tough as nails. Gets in the goalies face and plays with a chip on his shoulder, so does that exclude him from ever drawing a penalty? because hes tough? he got knocked down multiple times without the puck last night and almost nightly when he plays. double standard for some in this league.
I think Cameron's remarks are very reactionary and he will probably get fined for them. He will also draw the attention of the Refs next game for the pre meditation factor. But more importantly if retribution in on the minds of the Sens, they surely won't have enough focus on their game plan which could benefit the Habs as long as they don't get drawn into the media circus and war of words which will certainly follow.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
iKwzZzL.jpg

oh my! :laugh:

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
I'm on mobile so I'm not sure if you're a Sens fan or not but if so, of course you'd want our best defenseman suspended.

Also, while your post is nice and is not a troll attempt (at least I don't see it), I'm not sure it's a good idea to post here during the playoffs. I know the main board is a cesspool but yeah...

I think both sides love hockey and can keep it clean with the right group of posters, like two years ago, it doesn't have to be dumb.

Truly, even though he has a fracture now, hockey fan in me was a little uneasy to see him come back because I knew there would be doubts and you don't want good guys to get tarnished. Ribeiro never escaped what he did. If anything, just proves how dedicated Stone is to win the game and his reputation is unblemished.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
And no fine to Cameron ...

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 5m5 minutes ago

No fine for Cameron. Emotional week in Ottawa and some understanding for that. But there will be warnings about vigilante justice.

Fair result, now move on. If Ottawa engages in vigilanteism, they've been warned.

Incidentally, I heard that several Habs are terribly upset about Dollard St-Laurent being no longer with us. They seem to be genuinely worried that if two vibrant suburbs could disappear overnight, it could happen to Brossard and Laval as well, and then what??

dutchy29

Nov 9, 2007
SIRISAACBROCKVILLE
I think that as rule 61 is setup, if the slash injures the player, it is a game misconduct. My point is I would rather have the diagnosis first to follow through with the call.

I think it was a dirty play, the puck nowhere near the play and it looked to me like Subban knew what he was doing. Slashes happen all the time, but can't recall the last time someone was hurt.

EDIT: looks like he does have a fracture. Not good regardless of what team you are rooting for and certainly changes the whole argument. I think the NHL PLayer Safety would have suspended him with this info for Game 2 if he been given 2 minutes.

Yeah that makes sense, let the offender play the game as long as the opposing player plays. If the opposing player immediately is sent for diagnostics and misses the game then the offender could be tossed with game misconduct.
OR if the opposing player is hurt but returns allow offender to play and if next day xray or diagnostic reveals fracture sprain etc. then the offender could sit out his game misconduct then. I think players would probably think twice under those guidelines. (slashers or divers)
I think any rules that promote player safety are great, we don't want a series won or lost because of specific injuries. etc. Price. last season.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
I've never heard of a microfracture before. I know it's a surgical technique though.

Is there a doctor in the house?

DD51*

It was a dumb play by PK. Now the Sens will be even more motivated. Some of our best players will be targeted, starting with PK himself. They gonna put Neil in the line up next game instead of Chiasson.

Charkey

Nov 9, 2007
The problem is the reaction to it. Yes its a penalty, it was a dumb play by Subban, but as someone mentioned before the refs are biased towards Subban, reverse this play and yes it would have been 2min maybe and a dive call. secondly Ottawa is calling for suspension, discipline etc etc. yet 2 years ago when a vicious hit did occur their management acted like nothing happened and it was Diaz fault. Was Gryba out the same amount of time as Eller? When these things don't get dealt with properly initially they fester. I'm not saying that's why Stone was hurt, but its like these two teams and the refs are just waiting for something to happen. hence the overreaction on the Subban play.
To compare, Gallagher is known to the league as tough as nails. Gets in the goalies face and plays with a chip on his shoulder, so does that exclude him from ever drawing a penalty? because hes tough? he got knocked down multiple times without the puck last night and almost nightly when he plays. double standard for some in this league.
I think Cameron's remarks are very reactionary and he will probably get fined for them. He will also draw the attention of the Refs next game for the pre meditation factor. But more importantly if retribution in on the minds of the Sens, they surely won't have enough focus on their game plan which could benefit the Habs as long as they don't get drawn into the media circus and war of words which will certainly follow.

Imagine if PK was slashed and did the "funky chicken" dance like "Player 61" did and came back. Everyone would be screaming "embellishment" .
Suck it up Sens fan.
BTW, i suck at Photoshop, can anybody do some "Player 61" holding an Oscar or something. Or "Player 61" playing soccer ;-)
thanks
Go Habs Go

Camio

Oct 19, 2013
Nice

But the target he already had on his back just doubled in size

A target he ought to stop making bigger and bigger as games passes.

He needs a reality check. Tons of players in the room who should talk to him (basically, everyone in the room who's not a rookie or not named Prust, as he has a bit of tendency to do that from time to time) and tell him how it is. It has to stop. His antics (which are not new btw) are detrimental to the team.

With the A on his jersey and his salary, he cant be gonig around like this and be selfish. He's undisciplined and on top of it, whines and moans non-stop when he gets called for it. Its not like the penalties he's getting are 50-50% calls. They are usually blatant ones.

Thats the perfect recipe for disaster.

Video Coach

Sep 16, 2005

He needs a reality check. Tons of players in the room who should talk to him (basically, everyone in the room who's not a rookie or not named Prust, as he has a bit of tendency to do that from time to time) and tell him how it is. It has to stop. His antics (which are not new btw) are detrimental to the team.

With the A on his jersey and his salary, he cant be gonig around like this and be selfish. He's undisciplined and on top of it, whines and moans non-stop when he gets called for it. Its not like the penalties he's getting are 50-50% calls. They are usually blatant ones.

What??? That wasn't s selfish play. It wasn't retaliation or anything like that. It was a slash in front of the net on a top player. It was way too obvious and stupid for that reason but now we're going to jump on Subban for slashing someone in front of the net? Happens all the time.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
And no fine to Cameron ...

Elliotte Friedman ‏@FriedgeHNIC 5m5 minutes ago

No fine for Cameron. Emotional week in Ottawa and some understanding for that. But there will be warnings about vigilante justice.

Yet Bobby Mack clearly stated it was a mandatory fine, did he not? He read the rules loud and clear.

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
It was a dumb play by PK. Now the Sens will be even more motivated. Some of our best players will be targeted, starting with PK himself. They gonna put Neil in the line up next game instead of Chiasson.

You mean like when Eller was knocked out cold, and the Sens still beat us? Oh and Chris Neil? lol, pefect.

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
In life like in sports you can t always be the victim, We complain about Teams running Price all the time!! So their you go!! Habs need more nasty. Messier, Claude Lemieux, Chelios were some of the nastiest players ever...my point you can be great and a little mean.. Stay away from Price Or get the Sherwood.

Frankenheimer

Sir, this is an Arber
Feb 22, 2009
MTL
I'm not expecting the Sens to go after our guys. What will likely happen is that Prust will fight Neal and that will be the end of it.

Dwight

The French Tickler
Jul 8, 2006
West Island
I'm not expecting the Sens to go after our guys. What will likely happen is that Prust will fight Neal and that will be the end of it.

I agree. The dumb thing to do would be to try and go after us, because the NHL and the refs are likely watching this series very closely now with Game 1s events/Cameron's comments in the books.

I'm all for some extra physicality and intensity, but if Ottawa turns this series ugly, they're only hurting themselves.

Tnouc Alucard

Sep 10, 2014
Subban didn't deserve to be thrown out, but yes he commited a penalty and injured Stone. It happens and it's unfortunate but it doesn't mean the slash was dirtier than it was. Guys like Krieder and Keith cross far worse lines regularly and don't have the reputation Subban has.

I have some sympathy for Stone - I fractured my toe last week, it hurt like a ****, and like Stone I tried to just walk it off since you don't know the severity without an xray, but it happens. I tripped in the shower and fractured my toe, all it takes is getting hit at the wrong place.

I wish him a healthy recovery but it doesn't change the fact that these things happen in hockey, and I've seen far dirtier plays regularly.

Sorry, but the NHL rule book does not agree with you.

61.4 Match Penalty – The Referee, at his discretion, may assess a match penalty if, in his judgment, the player attempted to or deliberately injured his opponent by slashing.

Stone did not have the puck, and Subban deliberately injured him with a slash.

It's a no brainier for the ref.

Harry Wong

Oct 25, 2009
Cameron's comments are the real issue IMO. NHL has to ask itself if a coach should be turning up the temperature even more at this stage?

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary

Subban gets called on iffy penalties frequently, and players that blatantly foul him often have immunity.

It was a penalty for sure. However, it's up to the refs to be consistent.

We almost never see it in the playoffs. Gallagher was roughed up without the puck several times with no calls.

Istvan

Nov 17, 2003
SoCal
Visit site
I think as a Sens fan that the refs were poor all night. Was it the right call? Personally, I think it was vicious and unnecessary. I like Mark Stone as one would expect and there is nothing about him that states he is an embellisher. As a matter of fact, the talk this morning is he is getting an MRI and not at practice.

How do you protect the integrity of the game though? That is what I am worried about and don't want hockey to turn into soccer. Do we want everyone on the ice writhing in pain and returning? The optics certainly weren't very good. I know that getting hit like that hurts like bleeding hell, as Kypros says, he felt that reaction was completely believable. But we also don't want another Mike Ribeiro.

It was not the right call on the ice. I would rather a 2 minutes for the slash, and suspend the player after a review and injury report. This way moving forward the integrity of the game is not put into question, nor the player.

Kypreos also said that the refs would not have Stone on their radar as an embellisher because he had no track record. Ridiculous "logic". Chara had no track record and therefore no suspension so if he were to try and decapitate a player in the future in a hissy fit he'd have no track record. Habs just need to dispense with this team like pulling the last few sheets of toilet paper off the roll and throw the roll into the garbage................no wait...........recycle the roll.

FloJack

Lurking and liking.
Sponsor
Sep 6, 2006
Kypreos also said that the refs would not have Stone on their radar as an embellisher because he had no track record. Ridiculous "logic". Chara had no track record and therefore no suspension so if he were to try and decapitate a player in the future in a hissy fit he'd have no track record. Habs just need to dispense with this team like pulling the last few sheets of toilet paper off the roll and throw the roll into the garbage................no wait...........recycle the roll.

So much Sportsnet this yeas has surely lowered IQ points across the country.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
I think as a Sens fan that the refs were poor all night. Was it the right call? Personally, I think it was vicious and unnecessary. I like Mark Stone as one would expect and there is nothing about him that states he is an embellisher. As a matter of fact, the talk this morning is he is getting an MRI and not at practice.

How do you protect the integrity of the game though? That is what I am worried about and don't want hockey to turn into soccer. Do we want everyone on the ice writhing in pain and returning? The optics certainly weren't very good. I know that getting hit like that hurts like bleeding hell, as Kypros says, he felt that reaction was completely believable. But we also don't want another Mike Ribeiro.

It was not the right call on the ice. I would rather a 2 minutes for the slash, and suspend the player after a review and injury report. This way moving forward the integrity of the game is not put into question, nor the player.

To be honest in the eyes of a lot of people it WAS another Mike Ribeiro. The main board complaining that it was worthy of a criminal investigation is quite comical too. People told us to call 911 when a guy goes and breaks Patches neck and we have OTT fans calling 911 over a slash you see in plenty of games, oh and in those games the guy doesn't roll around like Mike Ribeiro either.

Kypreos and others can make all the excuses for Stone they want, that was embellishment clear as day, I've seen guys get hit harder on the wrist and they reacted, but none even close to the "performance" Stone made during last nights game. The slash is an embarrassment to the league in the first place, it was a cheap shot there's no denying it, PK was an idiot for doing it. That being said, the embellishment made it even more embarrassing.

I'll never stop being embarrassed over what Ribs did back in the day and whether or not Sens fans do over Stone, people aren't going to forget that performance anytime soon.

Exactly. Maybe we should blame Stone for "being there", I mean hey he was in front of our net :sarcasm: (This was similar to the rationalizing their fans made about the Diaz pass to Eller, he shouldn't have made the pass etc)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad