News Article: CONFIRMED: No suspension for PK Subban

DenverHabsFan

Sep 9, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
Yup. Same slash but Stone acted like he was shot by a sniper.

Another example of over the top bias against Subban. NHL Network was still moaning about the play this morning, saying how Subban added insult to injury by complaining about the penalty in the tunnel instead of heading out quietly.

Really pissed me off. They're basically saying just be a good boy and sit at the back of the bus.

Masuli

May 8, 2013
Turku, Finland
Well Stone wasn't anywhere near the puck. Those are the optics here, well that and Stone acting like he was shot in the mangina. If PK had done it like Perron, probably less of a big deal. Or maybe not since it's PK.
Puck or no puck, player 61 was in front of OUR goal. Who told him to go there? You go to slot, you get slashed, smacked, cross checked etc. this just happened to catch nr. 61 to a bad spot. Just ask Gallagher. It's just others take it and others flop.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Puck or no puck, player 61 was in front of OUR goal. Who told him to go there? You go to slot, you get slashed, smacked, cross checked etc. this just happened to catch nr. 61 to a bad spot. Just ask Gallagher. It's just others take it and others flop.

I agree but it's the optics, he wasn't near the puck. I think it's been blown way out of proportion.

Davebo*

Uh no, he was behind the play and looked pretty clear he was going for his arms/hands.

Uh no :rolleyes: Actually he's trying to hit the stick - looks away, and meanwhile stone changed his hand position, and whack. Bad luck all around - but stick slashes happen often.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Uh no :rolleyes: Actually he's trying to hit the stick - looks away, and meanwhile stone changed his hand position, and whack. Bad luck all around - but stick slashes happen often.

I was talking about Perron which is what I thought you were referring to but rereading it I see you meant PK. I agree, I think it was blown out of proportion.

Nynja*

I agree but it's the optics, he wasn't near the puck. I think it's been blown way out of proportion.

When youre in the slot, you dont need to be near the puck. The rules are relaxed a bit in that area, otherwise there would be countless interference penalties per game from infractions in the slot of trying to move people screening the goalie.

Davebo*

I was talking about Perron which is what I thought you were referring to but rereading it I see you meant PK. I agree, I think it was blown out of proportion.

Apologies - eyes still partly glued together. Hard time waking up on game day. Don't want to peak too early lol ;)

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
When youre in the slot, you dont need to be near the puck. The rules are relaxed a bit in that area, otherwise there would be countless interference penalties per game from infractions in the slot of trying to move people screening the goalie.

You still can't swing a two-hander. If was a stupid play by PK, especially at that time of the game

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Not sure how you can target somebody without looking at him. So yes, 2-handed isn't there to give a love tap to anyone. Just like knee on knee, slash behind the leg, thunderous bodychecks, hit from behind....TONS of gestures made to HURT people. Maybe injure them. Yet, you CAN'T target something you aren't looking at. That defeats the purpose of "targetting".....

Deserves a penalty? Of course. 5 minute? Well based on Stone reaction, absolutely. Stone played with the rulebook, and won. Fine, PK's fault for being stupid enough to slash somebody even if it happens 1000 times during a game. I see nobody panicking over Perron's 2-handed slash from yesterday. Why? No injury. Does it make his slash less violent? Nope, 'cause the end-result hash NOTHING to do with the intent or the actual gesture. Yet, nobody talks about it. It helps though that it's not a Hab....and it's not Subban. The 2 worst hated thing of this main board of ours....

Michelangelo

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2014
Montreal
re: Hagelin - Perron slash

Hagelin wasn't much of a soccer player, so Perron got a 2 for that slash.

It remains unclear if there were threats made by Perron though.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
The only way I can put it is that if this happened to Montreal's best player this season, per example, Max Pacioretty, Habs fan would lose their minds. If Neil or Gryba or Smith did that to Pacioretty, this place would be maheim, just as it it on the Sens board right now. What do you expect? Other team best player gets down on a swing above the shoulder when he was away from the puck. The way Sens fans reacted is just normal. Not trying to put gas on the fire here, as I really like both teams (which seems impossible for these boards). Stone has been an important player for Ottawa and seing him being hurt, even a little, will hurt the Sens. Now, I think we can all agree that the way Stone reacted was over the top and he could've made a man of himself and take some drama out of all this situation. Subban play was stupid at best considering the fact that the player was away from the play, Habs we're aleady on the PK and it was an easy call to make for the refs to put the habs down for almost 2 minutes of 5-3. Being the coach, I personally would've been mad to see my player give such an easy call to the refs when already down a man. In the end, I think Habs benefited the most of Stone's reaction as it got the Sens off their game big time, otherwise it would've only been a 5-3 for the Sens without much drama. Hopefully tonight's game will not have events like last game, a good, hard-played and fought game is always fun to watch no matter who wins.

If you have a negative response to my comment, please refrain to post it unless you have some good reasoning as I just want to state my opinion in a civilized manner. There's been enough argument on the subject, just think Habs fan should understand the way Sens fans are reacting and on the other side, Sens fan should understand the way the Habs are reacting, which is also completely normal. The way Cameron and Stone reacted we're also bad, rookie mistakes by the coach and player.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The only way I can put it is that if this happened to Montreal's best player this season, per example, Max Pacioretty, Habs fan would lose their minds. If Neil or Gryba or Smith did that to Pacioretty, this place would be maheim, just as it it on the Sens board right now. What do you expect? Other team best player gets down on a swing above the shoulder when he was away from the puck. The way Sens fans reacted is just normal. Not trying to put gas on the fire here, as I really like both teams (which seems impossible for these boards). Stone has been an important player for Ottawa and seing him being hurt, even a little, will hurt the Sens. Now, I think we can all agree that the way Stone reacted was over the top and he could've made a man of himself and take some drama out of all this situation. Subban play was stupid at best considering the fact that the player was away from the play, Habs we're aleady on the PK and it was an easy call to make for the refs to put the habs down for almost 2 minutes of 5-3. Being the coach, I personally would've been mad to see my player give such an easy call to the refs when already down a man. In the end, I think Habs benefited the most of Stone's reaction as it got the Sens off their game big time, otherwise it would've only been a 5-3 for the Sens without much drama. Hopefully tonight's game will not have events like last game, a good, hard-played and fought game is always fun to watch no matter who wins.

If you have a negative response to my comment, please refrain to post it unless you have some good reasoning as I just want to state my opinion in a civilized manner. There's been enough argument on the subject, just think Habs fan should understand the way Sens fans are reacting and on the other side, Sens fan should understand the way the Habs are reacting, which is also completely normal. The way Cameron and Stone reacted we're also bad, rookie mistakes by the coach and player.
There's no doubt I'd be extremely angry if we lost Max because of this. Hell, we probably lost out on a cup appearance in '88 because of a slash on Richer so it's not like we haven't been on the other side.

It was a slash, happens all the time in hockey and this one caught him on a bad spot. I don't think you should penalize based on player reaction because then everyone pulls a Mike Ribeiro whenever they get hit and nobody wants that. To me it was a standard slash that warranted 2 mins. He got 5 mins and a game... fair enough I guess, but that's where it ends.

If PK doesn't get 5 and a game there and only serves two minutes and then Stone winds up missing time in the series, then I could understand a one game suspension for PK simply because of the consequences of his actions. But he got 5 and a game. This should be over with as far as I'm concerned.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
There's no doubt I'd be extremely angry if we lost Max because of this. Hell, we probably lost out on a cup appearance in '88 because of a slash on Richer so it's not like we haven't been on the other side.

It was a slash, happens all the time in hockey and this one caught him on a bad spot. I don't think you should penalize based on player reaction because then everyone pulls a Mike Ribeiro whenever they get hit and nobody wants that. To me it was a standard slash that warranted 2 mins. He got 5 mins and a game... fair enough I guess, but that's where it ends.

If PK doesn't get 5 and a game there and only serves two minutes and then Stone winds up missing time in the series, then I could understand a one game suspension for PK simply because of the consequences of his actions. But he got 5 and a game. This should be over with as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly my thoughts.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
Yeah, the fan part of me would be pissed but crap happens, ask Eller or Saku (high stick by Williams). It wasn't like a Bertuzzi mugging, evens fans need to have some perspective

Born in 1909

Hockey Royalty
Nov 20, 2007
Montreal
Yup. Same slash but Stone acted like he was shot by a sniper.

Another example of over the top bias against Subban. NHL Network was still moaning about the play this morning, saying how Subban added insult to injury by complaining about the penalty in the tunnel instead of heading out quietly.

Really pissed me off. They're basically saying just be a good boy and sit at the back of the bus.

Nilan not impressed by Stone at all...

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal

I definitely do agree with you mostly, I think what Habs fans are most annoyed about isn't the fact that Sens fans are pissed about the situation, we all would be had it been the other way around. But pretty much not one Sens fan can admit the guy embellished. If PK or even Gallagher pulled a stunt like that it would be panned across the league as one of the biggest embellishments of the last ten years.

The guy pulled a complete and total Ribeiro and is rightfully called out on it. To say he didn't embellish is simply to live in a world of delusion. He clearly did. The rest of what you said I completely agree with, it was totally stupid of PK and Sens fans have every right to be upset, but being upset shouldn't mean ignoring the reality of the situation.

Also, threatening us to the media, saying PK made threats, people saying stuff about criminal charges :laugh: In the past we got ribbed relentlessly for the 911 comments, but suddenly when OTT fans want to have a forensics team go in and get PK on criminal charges we're supposed to just accept it, ignore the stupidity in all of it and ignore an obvious embellishment? This is where I draw the line.

I don't think many people are disagreeing that PK did something stupid. It's the rest of the drama that came with the incident that Habs fans are rolling their eyes at. If you can't see that what Stone did was embellishing then you're blinded by obvious homerism IMO.

Also as for the whole "a fracture is a fracture" debate, if that were true they'd be calling it a fracture, not a microfracture. They wouldn't be labeling it differently if all fractures were the same, so I am definitely sick of that argument that oh any fracture is a fracture and they're all the same. The guy has a fracture that was deemed a micro fracture plain and simple. I'm no doctor but that's what the doctors called it. They wouldn't call it that if it was a standard fracture or full break.

Lorty

May 7, 2013
"Hagelin had the puck"

So what? Just because the other player has the puck doesn't mean you have all the rights to lay dirty hits or do dirty plays. Players fight each others all the time when they don't have the puck, ESPECIALLY in front of the goalie.

windycity

Sep 30, 2003
Well duh
Visit site
"Hagelin had the puck"

So what? Just because the other player has the puck doesn't mean you have all the rights to lay dirty hits or do dirty plays. Players fight each others all the time when they don't have the puck, ESPECIALLY in front of the goalie.

Of course not but it's generally easier to make the argument it's a hockey play gone wrong than when it's away from the puck

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I definitely do agree with you mostly, I think what Habs fans are most annoyed about isn't the fact that Sens fans are pissed about the situation, we all would be had it been the other way around. But pretty much not one Sens fan can admit the guy embellished. If PK or even Gallagher pulled a stunt like that it would be panned across the league as one of the biggest embellishments of the last ten years.

The guy pulled a complete and total Ribeiro and is rightfully called out on it. To say he didn't embellish is simply to live in a world of delusion. He clearly did. The rest of what you said I completely agree with, it was totally stupid of PK and Sens fans have every right to be upset, but being upset shouldn't mean ignoring the reality of the situation.

Also, threatening us to the media, saying PK made threats, people saying stuff about criminal charges :laugh: In the past we got ribbed relentlessly for the 911 comments, but suddenly when OTT fans want to have a forensics team go in and get PK on criminal charges we're supposed to just accept it, ignore the stupidity in all of it and ignore an obvious embellishment? This is where I draw the line.

I don't think many people are disagreeing that PK did something stupid. It's the rest of the drama that came with the incident that Habs fans are rolling their eyes at. If you can't see that what Stone did was embellishing then you're blinded by obvious homerism IMO.

Also as for the whole "a fracture is a fracture" debate, if that were true they'd be calling it a fracture, not a microfracture. They wouldn't be labeling it differently if all fractures were the same, so I am definitely sick of that argument that oh any fracture is a fracture and they're all the same. The guy has a fracture that was deemed a micro fracture plain and simple. I'm no doctor but that's what the doctors called it. They wouldn't call it that if it was a standard fracture or full break.

Great comments. I think Devourers is totally right about the way the situation was handled, the way the Sens organization in general handled the situation was very very poor. From Stone, to Cameron, to Murray. To come out and make comments like that, I'd have to think Cameron regretted those right after he said them, he spoke out of emotion without giving a second though or look at the play, which is not what an experienced and rational coach would do, but almost all coaches go through a scene like this one and hopefully he'll learn from it. I think Ottawa has definitely let their emotions take over and it'll be interesting to see how they react on the ice, I have a feeling refs will call every single thing in this game to prevent a mess and Sens could be victim of their emotion here if they don't get back to their game quickly. Last time around, Sens got in the Habs head, this time it's the Habs that are in the Sens head. For the first game, even if the score was close, Habs totally dominated the play and gave a great physical effort. Most Sens fans who only listen to Sens games still think Ottawa can outplay Montreal physically but those days have changed. Montreal can handle playing physically and they showed that in game 1, definitely caught the Sens flat footed. The biggest difference IMO is Wiercioch-Ceci pairing is soft and inexperienced and they have a hard time with Habs forecheckers, they took advantage of that big time.

Haaabs

Jul 16, 2010
Montreal
Of course not but it's generally easier to make the argument it's a hockey play gone wrong than when it's away from the puck

I've always been a defenceman because nobody else wanted to do it, so I got to play more....

Anyways, slashing someone's stick when they don't have the puck is still something you do for three reasons

1) Some guys barely hold their sticks when they don't have possession, knock the stick away then just push them away when they go down to pick it up.

2) I'm tying up their stick so they can't get the deflection they want, or moving their stick when I think he's about to get the puck.

3) It's very annoying being a forward and every two seconds having to try your hold stick steady while some ******* defenceman keeps knocking it up and down. :laugh: Its distracting, annoying, irritating, it throws people off their game.

You're not trying to hit them on the hand or break their stick. But its hockey, **** happens.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad