Condon (OTT) on waivers: cleared

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
Just pick up some other Vet, or play McKenna.

I have a hard time believing any of them could be worse than Condon. Even if they are, at least we can feel like we're trying to improve the situation and not just rolling guaranteed losses out there.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Sad, but necessary.
A good team guy that got overpaid because our management overvalues loyalty and small sample sizes.
Damn though, we might have been able to grab The Lehner and make that a fairy-tale story, with media backup and all.

RyCam

Nov 3, 2016
Dorion...
Waives Smith right before season starts => puts him back on the top line.
Goalie has an embarrassing game => waives him immediately.
The guy has zero concept of how to handle team psychology. No wonder his room was a cluster**** last season. It will get only worse going forward.

Although I think waiving Condon is the right move at this time, guy has been terrible since the start of last season, I agree that Dorion is horribly inept at managing the dressing room, he does not have a good pulse on the team(case in point, the Turris trade last year which destroyed our team chemistry).

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
If he gets bought out come June, they'll pay 1.4 million over 2 years on the cap for his buyout vs 2.4 million in 2019-20 for his regular salary. It's worth it.

-His real money salary is 3M.
-Sens don't care about cap, only real money
-A buyout means OTT pays Condon 2M out of that 3M
-that means OTT saves no real money with a buyout, since they have to pay someone at least 650k to take Condon's spot next season as backup

Buying him out is basically a break even proposition. They have to decide if they can get a better backup for 1M or less next year, and if so, buy him out.

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Can't make this stuff up.

We go from paying a team to take Hammond from us because he costs 1 million over the next year, and now will have Condon in the AHL (if they send him) the year after signing him to a very obvious bad deal.

Dorion's tenure has been entertaining at the very least

Reactions: Alex1234 and DrEasy

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
Can't make this stuff up.

We go from paying a team to take Hammond from us because he costs 1 million over the next year, and now will have Condon in the AHL (if they send him) the year after signing him to a very obvious bad deal.

Dorion's tenure has been entertaining at the very least

I've never seen a team with a strict mandate of being as cheap as possible blow so much money on shit depth players who arguably don't belong in the NHL.

It's baffling.

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Sad, but necessary.
A good team guy that got overpaid because our management overvalues loyalty and small sample sizes.
Damn though, we might have been able to grab The Lehner and make that a fairy-tale story, with media backup and all.

He was overpaid because the Senators and multiple other teams who were in on him as a UFA wrongly evaluated him as a potential strong #2 goalie.

Anderson was a UFA a year after the Condon signing as well and I also think there was an idea that Anderson needed a reliable backup to split the load closer to a 1A/1B type relationship in net, and that we needed a fallback in case we couldn't re-sign Anderson.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the Sens figured by backloading the deal, they could pawn off Condon's final year on another team by trading him for a pick. There's always a strong market for goalies who can play 30+ games in the NHL, and a 2.4M cap hit would not have been restrictive when trading him. That never came to be because he played himself out of the league (for now).

I don't think it's a conspiracy about player loyalty. I'm not even sure where this loyalty meme comes from considering some of our recent moves which have been the antithesis of that. I think this is just a case of bad player evaluation, and/or a goalie getting a nice contract based on a 25 game sample size he cannot replicate.

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
He was overpaid because the Senators and multiple other teams who were in on him as a UFA wrongly evaluated him as a potential strong #2 goalie.

Anderson was a UFA a year after the Condon signing as well and I also think there was an idea that Anderson needed a reliable backup to split the load closer to a 1A/1B type relationship in net, and that we needed a fallback in case we couldn't re-sign Anderson.

It also wouldn't surprise me if the Sens figured by backloading the deal, they could pawn off Condon's final year on another team by trading him for a pick. There's always a strong market for goalies who can play 30+ games in the NHL, and a 2.4M cap hit would not have been restrictive when trading him. That never came to be because he played himself out of the league (for now).

I don't think it's a conspiracy about player loyalty. I'm not even sure where this loyalty meme comes from considering some of our recent moves which have been the antithesis of that. I think this is just a case of bad player evaluation, and/or a goalie getting a nice contract based on a 25 game sample size he cannot replicate.

I bet Toronto was bluffing Dorion to get him to throw money at a backup goalie.

That's how stupid Dorion is.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
I bet Toronto was bluffing Dorion to get him to throw money at a backup goalie.

That's how stupid Dorion is.

They also signed Clarkson to that ridiculous contract to make Ottawa believe they would actually sign Condon. Toronto was really playing the long game all along.

Reactions: Taluss and Smash88

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
They also signed Clarkson to that ridiculous contract to make Ottawa believe they would actually sign Condon. Toronto was really playing the long game all along.

Lou was the GM not Dubas though. Lou is a guy who would've overpaid Condon

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
-His real money salary is 3M.
-Sens don't care about cap, only real money
-A buyout means OTT pays Condon 2M out of that 3M
-that means OTT saves no real money with a buyout, since they have to pay someone at least 650k to take Condon's spot next season as backup

Buying him out is basically a break even proposition. They have to decide if they can get a better backup for 1M or less next year, and if so, buy him out.

Ah thanks for the clarification. So the question is whether Gustavsson/Hogberg (more likely the latter) at the minimum is worth the cost

danielpalfredsson

Aug 14, 2013
Ah thanks for the clarification. So the question is whether Gustavsson/Hogberg (more likely the latter) at the minimum is worth the cost

They can sign a UFA goalie for 1M or less and not use Hogberg or Gustavsson.

Either way, it's a gamble since the kind of goalies available at that price point are either unproven in the NHL, or guys who have had inconsistent careers.

Based on right now, I'd buy Condon out and roll the dice on someone else, but I can see how someone might argue that it's just as risky. Either way, we're not guaranteed a reliable backup.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009

Either way, it's a gamble since the kind of goalies available at that price point are either unproven in the NHL, or guys who have had inconsistent careers.

Based on right now, I'd buy Condon out and roll the dice on someone else, but I can see how someone might argue that it's just as risky. Either way, we're not guaranteed a reliable backup.

I think the goal of him being waived is to get his confidence back and play a lot more than every 23 days.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014

I'd rather see a kid get his lumps in than a veteran goalie, but I just don't want to see Condon on the roster next year. That's all.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
But then you still need to fill that spot with a contract. If Hogberg becomes our backup, we're spending $835k instead of $70k. We're only saving ~250k by buying out Condon.

Who care's really...its not like we are a cap team anyways. What does it matter what we save at this point?

Reactions: topshelf15

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad