Condon Goal Allowed From Opposing Blueline

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Is it possible you would see more goalies embarrassed if more players would shoot a bouncy, bouncy at the goalie instead of trying the wraparound? It just seems to me more goalies have gotten better at stick handling and it seems like this could be a way of keeping them more "honest". I remember years ago Cory Stillman faked a wraparound and the goalie bit and let in one from center ice.

Are there any players that make it a habit of shooting a knuckle puck right on goal? I don't play hockey so could someone enlighten me.

I don't think it's a habit. I have only doe it a hand full of times, but did score 2 from near my blue line last weekend. It's all lukc and the goalie having a VERY bad night.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
I feel bad for him. He’s probably a better goalie than 65% of us but is being ripped apart for this play.
So that means we have no right to rip him up or criticize his play?

He's getting paid to do this professionally, we are not. That's why he's supposed to be better than 65% of us. I'd hope he's better than 99% of us, but if he's only better than 65% of us, he's probably even worse than I thought!:laugh:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
the first one wasn't great either. his first start was against Boston. he let in 5 and 4 of those were not great. He's been awful and he lacks confidence. I don't know how he comes back from this. As a Sens fan, I hope he doesn't come back from this but I do feel for the guy
I remember reviewing his game against Boston and I only thought 1 goal he allowed that game was stoppable, despite being someone who is a lot more critical of goalie play on here than most fans, who just blame ''The defense'' or ''It's a good shot'' or the ''Dude is a sniper'' or whatever. Regardless, I think Condon is a terrible goalie. He's had one average year and 2 other poor years, not even including the 2 games he's played this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
On his way to win the Calder
We can't possibly be the only ones to remember this? I hope I'm not the only one to get this joke!

Yeah, ''Condon is gonna win the Calder and has been great during Price's injury!''. Fun times!:laugh:

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place

He's getting paid to do this professionally, we are not. That's why he's supposed to be better than 65% of us. I'd hope he's better than 99% of us, but if he's only better than 65% of us, he's probably even worse than I thought!:laugh:
Oh.. thanks for clearing that up.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Stepan was almost on the bench when that went in then came back laughing like he stole Condon’s lunch.
I intended to mention that point once I had gone through the thread.

Plus/minus is still used by nhl.com.

It might have some slight significance when comparing players on the same team.

If he had been on the bench when the puck crossed the line, I don't think he would have gotten a +, while his replacement would.

I remember being surprised last season when I saw a Canadiens player getting an assist while not getting a +.

Going through full play-by-play, I saw that he had been replaced on the ice 4 seconds prior to the goal being scored.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Is it possible you would see more goalies embarrassed if more players would shoot a bouncy, bouncy at the goalie instead of trying the wraparound? It just seems to me more goalies have gotten better at stick handling and it seems like this could be a way of keeping them more "honest". I remember years ago Cory Stillman faked a wraparound and the goalie bit and let in one from center ice.

Are there any players that make it a habit of shooting a knuckle puck right on goal? I don't play hockey so could someone enlighten me.
Shades of J. C. Tremblay 50 years ago...

PS: For the younger set, he had an habit of shooting the puck high in the air from his own blue line or the red line and having it bounce a few feet in front of the goalie.

Michel Beauchamp

Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc

Do you always take what you read at face value ?

I know a president who would love you...

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
People often laugh at a goalie for allowing such goals... but most of these goals are "dump-ins", as opposed to shots which goalies are used to. Fluky goal.

Filatov2Kovalev2Bonk

Effortless sexy.
Jul 13, 2006
Cumberland
Mike Condon is the Penguins' franchise leader in save percentage.

And Craig Anderson has an NHL record save percentage during that lockout season.
That and $2 will get either of them a coffee.

Thanks for your work Mike. That puck was bouncing around so it's not entirely your fault.
That said, you were overpaid like Burger Boy was overpaid.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
I remember reviewing his game against Boston and I only thought 1 goal he allowed that game was stoppable, despite being someone who is a lot more critical of goalie play on here than most fans, who just blame ''The defense'' or ''It's a good shot'' or the ''Dude is a sniper'' or whatever. Regardless, I think Condon is a terrible goalie. He's had one average year and 2 other poor years, not even including the 2 games he's played this year.

stoppable is one way of looking at it. two were redirects and although they are difficult neither would have been a 10 bell save. I remember rask stopping a redirect in that game. you see it, it's a nice save and it could have gone in but it doesn't make the highlight reel either. Condon let in two like that. imo both of the ones I am thinking of happened because he over committed on the initial shot, he isn't a quiet goalie that moves efficiently. anyway doesn't matter. I hope we've seen the last of him

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $200.00