Series Talk: ECSF: New York Rangers vs. Carolina Hurricanes (NYR Lead 3-2)

Who wins in how many games?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Foxy

Oct 5, 2020
I'll disagree with this until I see it..
Canes are failing to make it very difficult for Shesterkin.. You replace him with cardboard cutout I think it's 2-1 New York.. Canes often try to be too cute..
the playoffs are not about cute.. It's About Grinding your face off. And for whatever reason since J will left we haven't had that..

Just like the Hall of Very Good vs the Hall of Fame :( The Canes Are in the former the Rangers? Not inclined to Hall of fame them but definitely closer.
Idk, I kinda think its the opposite, the Canes are not cute enough. The Rangers play style is they look to take the perfect shot and a lot of that results in turnovers or no shots on goal, but when that last pass connects and the goalie is moving it typically leads to a very high danger scoring chance.

I see the canes as the opposite, the second they have a clear look, its on net. Spamming shots and getting lot of o-zone pressure seems to work well against weaker teams and weaker goalies, but once you face teams with strong D that don't let you get inside or a goalie that will stop anything he can see you run into trouble.

It was like this during the regular season too. Rangers record vs the teams remaining was 11-6-0 while canes was 7-10-0. So I guess what I'm saying is that the Canes need to do more drop passes while on breakaways because that's what being too cute is lol.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Idk, I kinda think its the opposite, the Canes are not cute enough. The Rangers play style is they look to take the perfect shot and a lot of that results in turnovers or no shots on goal, but when that last pass connects and the goalie is moving it typically leads to a very high danger scoring chance.

I see the canes as the opposite, the second they have a clear look, its on net. Spamming shots and getting lot of o-zone pressure seems to work well against weaker teams and weaker goalies, but once you face teams with strong D that don't let you get inside or a goalie that will stop anything he can see you run into trouble.

It was like this during the regular season too. Rangers record vs the teams remaining was 11-6-0 while canes was 7-10-0. So I guess what I'm saying is that the Canes need to do more drop passes while on breakaways because that's what being too cute is lol.
OK on the PP they get to cute 5v5 they take too many clean shots. Guy + puck then space and goalie.

Flan the incredible

Nov 8, 2014
I have never seen an undefeated team in the playoffs have more people make excuses on why they are undefeated. How many teams have won 7 in a row to start the playoffs? I am sure not many.

7 in a row is crazy impressive by any standard. I feel like if they finish off the Canes sweep and then sweep Boston or Florida people would still be pointing out games they think they should of lost or still continue saying its all special teams as if that isn't part of hockey. When does it end?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
Playing the "it could be" or "what if" game at 3-0 is worthless at this point.

Fact - it's 3-0, not IT COULD BE 2-1 Canes. It's not. Never was. 3-0 with 2 OT wins is MAKING IT HAPPEN.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neil Racki

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Carolina are Corsi merchants. Built to win power point presentations, but all that 5v5 possession time data means nothing when your shot quality sucks, your PP is toast, your goaltending is mid, and your roster has no gamebreaking talent.

Rangers have:

-A Norris winning #1 d-man who is top 3-5 d-men in the league. Really, top 3.

-Vezina winning goalie who is also top 5 at his position, and practically unrivaled when he's on his A game.

-Top tier 120 point super elite forward in Panarin.

-Bonafide #1 Center who is clutch

-One of the best pure power forwards in the league, capable of 40-50 goals.

You combine that handful of players with a very deep, hard nosed lineup and guys who have a track record of being clutch in the playoffs, you get a team that will beat superior 5v5 teams in the playoffs.

That's the big difference between this Rangers team and past "special teams/goalie reliant" Ranger teams. Those teams had Hank. This team has its version of Hank, plus the elite d-man, center depth, and elite offense on the wing that we always lacked.

Carolina has a lot of really good players, but nobody you're really scared to play. I'm scared to play Makar, MacKinnon, McDavid, Drai, Swayman, Barkov, Tkachuk.

I'm not scared of Necas, Guentzel, and Svech. Sorry.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
I missed it during the game too. I saw it now on Sportsnet replay. That was cringey as hell. lol
TDA is the poster child for people with absolutely no self-awareness. He clearly sees himself as an intimidating figure, and no one even bothers to take him seriously at this point.

Case in point -- his Twitter burner account is now complaining about a lack of class from Ranger fans, which is like hearing the Real Housewives complain about people getting too much botox.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
I have never seen an undefeated team in the playoffs have more people make excuses on why they are undefeated. How many teams have won 7 in a row to start the playoffs? I am sure not many.

7 in a row is crazy impressive by any standard. I feel like if they finish off the Canes sweep and then sweep Boston or Florida people would still be pointing out games they think they should of lost or still continue saying its all special teams as if that isn't part of hockey. When does it end?
Well said. I love the Canes and like the Capitals but there is really no way around the fact that the best team in those and these matchups are winning. Does it really matter if it is a blowout, or a double OT or single OT win? I don't think so - a win is a win and some can say well the Rangers have had lucky bounces, but that can be said about any championship pedigree team throughout history. There will always be the detractors and the "what if" crowd.

I will say this - it is nice to finally see a President's Trophy winning team on such a momentum ride that they may end up steamrolling through multiple opponents. Typically I have always had a ho hum view of the President's Trophy winners, as they seem to be bounced or upset early. I don't think anyone gave the Rangers top billing to get far in the playoffs. I seem to recall a lot of these media types predicting the cup won by the Canes, Avs, Oilers, and even Winnipeg. The Rangers didn't get a whole lot of respect going into these playoffs, all things considered.

I am happy to have been treated to some great playoff games in this series. Yes, the Canes were "right there" but just like any other situation, sometimes you get the bounces, sometimes you don't. That's the fun of hockey, and probably sports in general.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Carolina are Corsi merchants. Built to win power point presentations, but all that 5v5 possession time data means nothing when your shot quality sucks, your PP is toast, your goaltending is mid, and your roster has no gamebreaking talent.
Perfectly said, and also why you see people on here claiming that the Canes were the better team last night purely based on shot volume, ignoring the fact that while taking 22 fewer shots, the Rangers actually had more scoring chances overall (31-30) and the same number of high-danger chances (12-12). When those are even, the team with more skill up front and a better goalie is probably gonna win.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
More shots, especially low quality, low danger shots, doesn't equal being the better team.
Don't have a dog in this one, just simply my opinion that the games could have easily gone the other way because in two games I saw the Canes being better.
Fill your boots if you want, 3 one goal games, two in OT makes the Rangers the best team, so be it....
They are in control, and credit to them..........as we know in sports, the best teams don't always win

Good luck the rest of the way....

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005

I cannot put much stock into that sweep of the Caps who legitimately have to be the worst playoff team since probably the 92 Whalers. I think they really would be served best though be winning this series in 5 or 6 vs sweeping it. They might be off 11-12-13 days if they sweep and IMO when a team is playing this well that is the last thing you want to happen

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

KingDeathMetal

Jun 7, 2015
Long Island, NY
Perfectly said, and also why you see people on here claiming that the Canes were the better team last night purely based on shot volume, ignoring the fact that while taking 22 fewer shots, the Rangers actually had more scoring chances overall (31-30) and the same number of high-danger chances (12-12). When those are even, the team with more skill up front and a better goalie is probably gonna win.

What gets lost in all the fappy-fapping over 5v5 data correlation to playoff success is the fact that Cup winning teams usually have an elite Center or two, a Norris caliber defenseman, an elite high scoring winger, and a goaltender who is playing at a high level in the playoffs (isnt always an elite goalie but with the exception of the Avs two seasons ago, Cup winning goalies have been difference makers in the playoffs).

Rangers have a lot of the strong elements you need to win, even if their 5v5 data is meh. NYR isn't a BAD 5v5 team, we're just not top tier. And I don't think it matters as much as people think.

clmetsfan

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2007
Don't have a dog in this one, just simply my opinion that the games could have easily gone the other way because in two games I saw the Canes being better.
Fill your boots if you want, 3 one goal games, two in OT makes the Rangers the best team, so be it....
They are in control, and credit to them..........as we know in sports, the best teams don't always win

And which two were those? Because in three games, the Canes have yet to generate more high danger chances than the Rangers at 5v5, and we all know how inept they've been on special teams. So how have they been better?

T REX

Feb 28, 2013

NYR>>>>>>>Canes

The best team is truly winning

As a TB fan, I feel dirty posting that but it is true

Rangerfan4life90

Oct 14, 2008
College Point, NY
I cannot put much stock into that sweep of the Caps who legitimately have to be the worst playoff team since probably the 92 Whalers. I think they really would be served best though be winning this series in 5 or 6 vs sweeping it. They might be off 11-12-13 days if they sweep and IMO when a team is playing this well that is the last thing you want to happen
Rangers did well this year coming off long stretches of rest. Plus, players like Adam Fox could use the long rest since I think he's playing hurt from the knee-to-knee collision in the Caps series.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm not scared of Necas, Guentzel, and Svech. Sorry.
Is this not a war face to you?

svech_kittens.jpg

Gardner McKay

RIP, Jimmy.
Jun 27, 2007
SoutheastOfDisorder

No, it is a fair point. The games have been close. I just think sometimes people tend to look at total shots and use that as justification as to who played better.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
TDA is the poster child for people with absolutely no self-awareness. He clearly sees himself as an intimidating figure, and no one even bothers to take him seriously at this point.

Case in point -- his Twitter burner account is now complaining about a lack of class from Ranger fans, which is like hearing the Real Housewives complain about people getting too much botox.

He was nothing if not mildly entertaining, but his shtick is beyond stale at this point, and the tough guy act is a bit sad.

…might go @ him on Twitter.

patnyrnyg

Sep 16, 2004
Rangers did well this year coming off long stretches of rest. Plus, players like Adam Fox could use the long rest since I think he's playing hurt from the knee-to-knee collision in the Caps series.
I agree. Fox seems to be laboring out there.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
so if this went 7 how shocked would everyone be

We are semi overdue for a 3-0 lead to be blown by NHL standards. At least its been awhile since someone even got a 3-0 back to 7, we had someone recently get it to 6, maybe Vegas last year was up 3-0 and won 4-2 I think

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad