Conacher

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
I'd like to see him on the top line for a decent amount of time to see if he gels. He played with Stamkos and St. Louis, no? Now that's playing with fricken elite talent, but maybe he can get back into that same role with Spezza and another winger like Zib/Michalek.

I think people need to realize he had 7-10 games with Stamkos, scored 5 goals, then slide down the lineup. Which isn't at all surprising considering he was a rookie.

The fact is Cory's game just isn't ready for top six play, and while his defensive game is improving he isn't at a level MacLean can put him with Smith yet.

Leaves Cory where he is, 4th line winger.

I am sure he will get opportunities going forward but IMO anyone thinking Cory is ready now for top line duty is badly mistaken IMO.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Guys since last year ended we have added a healthy Spezza, Ryan and MacArthur scoring isn't really an issue so there's not really the offensive ice time for him at the moment. The same thing happened to MacArthur in Toronto last year. It doesn't mean he's not performing as much as there isn't a place for right now to perform. 9 pages of this man o man :shakehead

There are better options than Conacher in the organization in Hoffman, Stone & potentially Robinson. If nothing else they are all bigger, tougher, better defensively & potentially better offensively since he isn't scoring anyway. Why not give them a shot, nothing to lose & maybe more to be gained.

While I doubt he would get much in a trade, maybe BM can package him with Condra & JOB for an effective 4th liner who could keep Kassian on the bench until he is needed or picks, you can never have enough picks. BTW scoring has always been & likely will always be an issue with this team, don't you remember how many games including playoff games when this team couldn't score, even earlier in this season we had trouble scoring. Stone in place of Conacher could remedy that though.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Would really like to see him on the second PP unit more often.

Don't believe it is going to happen until Cory starts to actually hold the puck and make plays, right now he takes up a position near the net and is stationary.

He needs to show he is a threat offensively, he has the tools but isn't using them for the most part.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
I think people need to realize he had 7-10 games with Stamkos, scored 5 goals, then slide down the lineup. Which isn't at all surprising considering he was a rookie.

The fact is Cory's game just isn't ready for top six play, and while his defensive game is improving he isn't at a level MacLean can put him with Smith yet.

Leaves Cory where he is, 4th line winger.

I am sure he will get opportunities going forward but IMO anyone thinking Cory is ready now for top line duty is badly mistaken IMO.

I agree with you on this, the minute he was taken off that Turris line he landed in "where do we put him" land. I do think he should be playing third line not forth and getting some power play time but I understand the argument you make. That said when Condra comes back Condra Grant Conacher could be an effective forth unit.

mcnorth

Jun 28, 2011
Don't believe it is going to happen until Cory starts to actually hold the puck and make plays, right now he takes up a position near the net and is stationary.

He needs to show he is a threat offensively, he has the tools but isn't using them for the most part.

He also defaults to gamesmanship too often after contract and spends too much time on his knees after contact around the crease. But I do think he's, as someone said somewhere else, one of the best on our roster at freeing up his stick and burying those two footers in scrambles. Right now the PP formation doesn't even have someone stationed where you'd imagine Conacher would help - but if we simplify and need a body in tight, I think he's a solid second unit option. I like Conacher bottom six, with some PP time.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012

That's the difference between the Tampa Conacher and the Ottawa Conacher. get him away from the front of the net we get it your tough but start handling the puck again. It's a tough call because you need ice time to with skilled players to do this but is there room right now ?

SilverSeven

Apr 16, 2007
Ottawa, Ontario
Id much rather have him getting Michaleks minutes. Conacher is actually creating. Michalek is fumbling golden opportunities given to him by his linemates.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
There are better options than Conacher in the organization in Hoffman, Stone & potentially Robinson. If nothing else they are all bigger, tougher, better defensively & potentially better offensively since he isn't scoring anyway. Why not give them a shot, nothing to lose & maybe more to be gained.

While I doubt he would get much in a trade, maybe BM can package him with Condra & JOB for an effective 4th liner who could keep Kassian on the bench until he is needed or picks, you can never have enough picks. BTW scoring has always been & likely will always be an issue with this team, don't you remember how many games including playoff games when this team couldn't score, even earlier in this season we had trouble scoring. Stone in place of Conacher could remedy that though.

I think people need to be patient with all the youth, this idea of trading them after 10 or 20 games because they don't meet some expectation is crazy really.

The fact is you can't teach speed, determination, or fearlessness, Conacher has these attributes.

Now if Conacher can't translate his skill into being a reasonably productive top nine forward down the road, then Murray will have to waive or trade him.

However I don't believe that time has arrived, specially considering the sample size.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
Id much rather have him getting Michaleks minutes. Conacher is actually creating. Michalek is fumbling golden opportunities given to him by his linemates.

Unfortunately Conacher isn't creating and its why he is where he is.

Michalek is the better player, it really isn't close at this point in time.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I was disappointed to see Conacher get very little ice-time after having huge influence over our 3-4 minutes of dominance to start the game.

He was great and amazing but I don't get why MacLean would play Smith, Cowen, Gryba, Wiercioch, Turris(last year) when they were struggling but cease to play Conacher. If his ideology is to play players because staff think they can be better than Conacher should fit that bill as well.

I wouldn't mind Conacher playing the minutes he does if Michalek is actually productive and making it hard for Conacher to earn some of those minutes but he isn't.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Unfortunately Conacher isn't creating and its why he is where he is.

Michalek is the better player, it really isn't close at this point in time.

If you think Michalek is creating anything than I unno what to say to you. Conacher will give that line net presence and hard motor that would create room for Spezza.

Only thing I could understand is Michalek being better defensively but even then, nothing big to right home about for him to overshadow any chance Conacher may have.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
That's the difference between the Tampa Conacher and the Ottawa Conacher. get him away from the front of the net we get it your tough but start handling the puck again. It's a tough call because you need ice time to with skilled players to do this but is there room right now ?

There is always room, but it is going to be very difficult given he has to displace one of MacArthur, Ryan, Michalek or Zibanejad.

I had hoped he would get a shot with Spezza and Zibanejad, but MacLean moved Michalek back with them and that trio looked very good today.

I think Cory has the ablitity/skills, the question is whether he has the confidence to show those skills when his next opportunity arises.

Holdurbreathe

Jun 22, 2006
Ontario
If you think Michalek is creating anything than I unno what to say to you. Conacher will give that line net presence and hard motor that would create room for Spezza.

Only thing I could understand is Michalek being better defensively but even then, nothing big to right home about for him to overshadow any chance Conacher may have.

I suggest you watch a game live instead of on TV and you might see what Michalek does for his linemates.

Posts like these clearly suggest you know more about player performance than MacLean or his coaching staff.

While Michalek may not be playing at the level he did a few years ago, neither has Spezza so far this season.

However Michalek has 10 points, is a -6, and is far superior to Conacher defensively.

Personally I have no problem with Coancher displacing Michalek on the second line, but he has to outplay Michalek or one of MacArthur, Ryan or Zibanejad and he hasn't.

Last edited:

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I suggest you watch a game live instead of on TV and you might see what Michalek does for his linemates.

Posts like these clearly suggest you know more about player performance than MacLean or his coaching staff.

While Michalek may not be playing at the level he did a few years ago, neither has Spezza so far this season.

However Michalek has 14 points, is a +8, and is far superior to Conacher defensively.

Personally I have no problem with Coancher displacing Michalek on the second line, but he has to outplay Michalek or one of MacArthur, Ryan or Zibanejad and he hasn't.

W...what?

He has 10 points and is a -5.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I think people need to be patient with all the youth, this idea of trading them after 10 or 20 games because they don't meet some expectation is crazy really.

The fact is you can't teach speed, determination, or fearlessness, Conacher has these attributes.

Now if Conacher can't translate his skill into being a reasonably productive top nine forward down the road, then Murray will have to waive or trade him.

However I don't believe that time has arrived, specially considering the sample size.

We have had more than 20 games to see Conacher since his trade here last yr, we have had plenty of time to access his play. I agree we need to have patience with young players except I would prefer to have Stone who is also young on this team instead of Conacher. I first wanted SDC & Pageau back in Bingo & with that accomplished I now want Condra & Conacher off the team because I think we have better options. PM only played him 8 minutes today so I guess he didn't think we needed his speed or fearlessness.

The reason I want to act now on trading these two is because there are a few teams looking to do something & if BM can get something for them that could improve the team so be it & it opens up a roster spot for Stone. If not we still have other options within the organization & I doubt we would miss them. We don't miss Condra, SDC or Pageau so why would we miss Conacher who is not producing? I think he has had his shot & it's time to try something different even if we don't trade him just yet, let him sit out & watch to see if that makes a difference for him.

supsens

Oct 6, 2013
With 1 assist in his last 11 games I doubt conacher has earned a spot on the top 2 lines.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
With 1 assist in his last 11 games I doubt conacher has earned a spot on the top 2 lines.

How people forget when Conacher was brilliant alongside Turris and MacArthur. Remember when that was our best line and we only moved Conacher cause Ryan needed change?

Ever since then Conacher playing 4th line.

Sensinitis

Aug 5, 2012
Can't wait till Milo is outta here(sad story) so that guys like Conacher can get more of a shot. I'm especially looking at Hoffman. He has a great shot, but I've never seen him use it in the big leagues.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Conacher's biggest problem is he isn't quite good enough to crack our top 6 wingers (Ryan, McArthur, Zibanejad, Michalek) and as such he is stuck with Kassian, Greening, Neil, and to a lesser extent Smith.

The bottom six does not have the scoring touch it did last season when Conacher was lining up with Zibanejad and Silfverberg, and while he has gotten the occasional shot with Spezza, it comes at a time when Spezza just hasn't been the same as years past.

I thought he looked good tonight, but then again he didn't put up any points so I guess that's all that matters around here.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
We have had more than 20 games to see Conacher since his trade here last yr, we have had plenty of time to access his play. I agree we need to have patience with young players except I would prefer to have Stone who is also young on this team instead of Conacher. I first wanted SDC & Pageau back in Bingo & with that accomplished I now want Condra & Conacher off the team because I think we have better options. PM only played him 8 minutes today so I guess he didn't think we needed his speed or fearlessness.

The reason I want to act now on trading these two is because there are a few teams looking to do something & if BM can get something for them that could improve the team so be it & it opens up a roster spot for Stone. If not we still have other options within the organization & I doubt we would miss them. We don't miss Condra, SDC or Pageau so why would we miss Conacher who is not producing? I think he has had his shot & it's time to try something different even if we don't trade him just yet, let him sit out & watch to see if that makes a difference for him.
Stone has been injured all season long and has just came back. It is going to be a while before his gets back into game shape in the AHL let alone the NHL. Hoffman on the other hand is playing really good right now.

danishh

Dec 9, 2006
YOW
are we forgetting that conacher already scored 3 goals against the habs in the first round last season?

He's already helped this team improve.

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
are we forgetting that conacher already scored 3 goals against the habs in the first round last season?

He's already helped this team improve.

At this point if Conacher could have been sent down to the minors he would have.

Pageau had 4 goals and 2 assists against the habs and it did save him. Maybe he should have got some top minutes too with Spezza or Turris.

Conacher clearly needs to get stronger to have a chance at becoming harder to play against. Needs to drive to the net(with the puck) as often as possible and find holes in the defense.

Tampacuseforever

Nov 3, 2012
At this point if Conacher could have been sent down to the minors he would have.

Pageau had 4 goals and 2 assists against the habs and it did save him. Maybe he should have got some top minutes too with Spezza or Turris.

Conacher clearly needs to get stronger to have a chance at becoming harder to play against. Needs to drive to the net(with the puck) as often as possible and find holes in the defense.

Boy that's a lot to ask in 8 minutes of play, and he seemed to do that well with Zibby and Grant in the first period :) Greening got about 14 minutes. After he played well in the first period he was stapled to the bench after that. It is all about opportunity and his came against San Jose and LA and Anaheim but zilch when you get the likes of New Jersey and Florida. He needs to regain his confidence with the puck but he can't do that on the bench, he should be playing more against these weaker teams. :nod:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad