Confirmed with Link: Complete Rebranding, New Logo, Arena Renovations & Vinikville - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ThunderAlleyNomad

Aug 24, 2009
Ambitious. And awesome. So nice to have an owner who doesn't just give lip service to the idea of growing the game.

The Underboss

Dec 20, 2006
Florida
http://www.wtsp.com/story/news/loca...ing-major-announcement-monday--4-pm/72268654/

Tampa, Florida -- The Tampa Bay Lightning, National Hockey League, and the National Hockey League Players’ Association announced a plan on Monday to spend $6 million over the next five years to promote hockey and teach life skills to Bay area young people.

The announcement was made Monday by Lightning Chairman and Governor Jeff Vinik.

The program, titled Build the Thunder, marks the franchise's third major community initiative under Vinik since he purchased the Lightning in 2010.

http://lightning.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=779042&cmpid=nhl-fb

TAMPA BAY - The Tampa Bay Lightning, in conjunction with the National Hockey League (NHL) and the National Hockey League Players’ Association (NHLPA), is investing more than $6 million over the next five years to grow the game of hockey and teach life skills lessons to Tampa Bay's young people, Lightning Chairman and Governor Jeff Vinik announced today. Vinik was joined in making the announcement by team President and CEO Steve Griggs and Executive Director of Community Hockey Development Jay Feaster. The program, titled Build the Thunder, marks the franchise's third major community initiative under Vinik since he purchased the Lightning in 2010.

"I am so proud to be able to share my love of hockey with the youth of the Tampa Bay region as we introduce an extensive program that will grow new hockey fans while also giving us the opportunity to feature Lightning players and alumni as role models and 'teachers' for our children," said Vinik upon making the announcement. "As they grow their knowledge of hockey, 100,000 young people in our community will also learn critical life and educational skills."

http://www.tampabay.com/things-to-d...k-plans-community-hockey-announcement/2245465

TAMPA — Tampa Bay Lightning owner Jeff Vinik announced Monday that the team will spend $6 million over the next five years to expand youth hockey in the bay area.

The excited voices and shouts of hundreds of youngsters, who played pick-up street hockey games nearby just outside Amalie Arena, nearly drowned out Vinik and colleagues as they delivered the news.

The Lightning will partner with the NHL, the NHLPA player's union in funding Build the Thunder. The program is expected to reach more than 100,000 kids in the Tampa Bay region.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I love this idea. Street hockey is definitely more accessible and easier to get kids hooked on hockey but I hope if they're serious about developing players they push them to skate ASAP. Even rollerblading is enough. It's worked for California. Would love to start seeing a real influx of Floridian talent down the line and have a hometown kid to cheer for.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
street hockey is more accessible.

Yeah build a foundation and then work your way up. Putting a hockey stick in the hands of every kid around is a great place to start!

Skating is important, but I don't think that can be the first step trying to grow the sport. I started off just playing with a stick, a ball, and a goal (which was usually the space between 2 objects before I bought a net) in my driveway and with neighborhood kids in the street. Trying to skate for the first time just seemed like the natural progression of things, although it did turn me off initially because it was difficult and I was an impatient little kid wanting to be good right away.

I do agree with others that roller is a great option though. Much cheaper, and more accessible than ice hockey.

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I love this idea. Street hockey is definitely more accessible and easier to get kids hooked on hockey but I hope if they're serious about developing players they push them to skate ASAP. Even rollerblading is enough. It's worked for California. Would love to start seeing a real influx of Floridian talent down the line and have a hometown kid to cheer for.

They don't necessarily need to push for anyone to skate. They're primarily creating hockey fans, not hockey players. That being said, there are other organizations already doing what your suggesting.

College and the minor leagues are starting to get Floridians. Northeastern had like 3-4 FL kids last season, although they're an outlier. When one of them breaks out big time in the NHL, it'll be a big thing for FL hockey.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Why do they have to frame the story as charity for the underprivileged? I mean, there are aspects, and some of the kids given a stick will be underprivileged, but they're also creating JV leagues and so on.

Framing it as a charity comes off as less self-interested than just trying to grow fans. Better PR.

Werewolf

Oct 29, 2013
Tampa
They don't necessarily need to push for anyone to skate. They're primarily creating hockey fans, not hockey players. That being said, there are other organizations already doing what your suggesting.

College and the minor leagues are starting to get Floridians. Northeastern had like 3-4 FL kids last season, although they're an outlier. When one of them breaks out big time in the NHL, it'll be a big thing for FL hockey.

By other organizations - XtraIce is not just another ice rink. It is a hockey development school. The instructors are ex NHL players, the rink schedule is designed around teaching/developing hockey at all levels, they even have a gym that specializes in training specifically for hockey. I believe the Tampa Scorpions who train there were 2015 US Hockey Champions for U16 and U14. The U16 team is #1 in the country and the U14 team is ranked 4th in the country.

So yeah...players from the area are coming out for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad