Complaining thread

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I think Iggy can still be an effective player, but I think it is a mindset issue as much as anything. He is playing like he doesn't care and to avoid injury most of the time out there. It is a bit hard to fault Sakic when Iggy never showed that sort of mentality before his contract... I wonder if the losing has set in and he figures he can just go through the motions for the rest of the season. Then recharge for a run next year.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
i don't think iggy acquisition was a huge mistake. stuart absolutely, that was destined to fail from the beginning, not so with iggy.

I wouldn't say it's a huge mistake, but I think it's fair to say that they didn't assess the Avs situation properly. Iggy was never what the Avs were missing. They were missing a shooter, but they needed someone like Cammalleri or Vrbata who can still create some offense on their own. This is in retrospect, and we could easily be talking about Moulson or Vanek on the Avs, which would be much worse than Iggy.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
For the record I thought Iginla was awful last year too. He was our leading scorer and he deserves credit for that but he had all the same issues he has this year but was fortunate enough to have Duchene feeding him absolute gifts at the end of the year while Tanguay was a miracle passer at the beginning. If his issues are ranked a 10/10 this year they were a 9 last year. He wasn't much better at all.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
For the record I thought Iginla was awful last year too. He was our leading scorer and he deserves credit for that but he had all the same issues he has this year but was fortunate enough to have Duchene feeding him absolute gifts at the end of the year while Tanguay was a miracle passer at the beginning. If his issues are ranked a 10/10 this year they were a 9 last year. He wasn't much better at all.

I think he at least put in a reasonable effort last year... nobody accused him of being the hardest worker, but he wasn't the laziest either. This year, he might be the laziest player on the team.

agentblack

Apr 11, 2011
New York City
Im really starting to hate that we are becoming known as a trap team.
And its still not resulting in better hockey overall.
That being said im not entirely sure playing an aggressive game would work either because
1)dont have the foot speed 2) goalies have been inconsistent

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Haha same. Hes so easy to move off the puck that you wouldnt have thought this dude was ever a power forward.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Im really starting to hate that we are becoming known as a trap team.
And its still not resulting in better hockey overall.
That being said im not entirely sure playing an aggressive game would work either because
1)dont have the foot speed 2) goalies have been inconsistent

Haha trap team. We try but we cant even do that. All teams have to do is forecheck a little bit against us and our dman **** their pants and give the puck away.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
You completely missed the point, but that's fine. I don't expect everyone to dig that deep for the point I was trying to make.

I must be a shallow digger then too, because the impression I get from the multiple posts about the "Legacy Stuff" (not just yours) is that it puts undeserved pressure and unfair expectations on this group and it also keeps the fanbase from embracing the present team.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I must be a shallow digger then too, because the impression I get from the multiple posts about the "Legacy Stuff" (not just yours) is that it puts undeserved pressure and unfair expectations on this group and it also keeps the fanbase from embracing the present team.

You are in the right direction, that's the perception/comparison part. Maybe some more abstract things like identity and culture issues but that's close enough. I know there isn't any interest in continuing it so I'll drop it.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
You are in the right direction, that's the perception/comparison part. Maybe some more abstract things like identity and culture issues but that's close enough. I know there isn't any interest in continuing it so I'll drop it.

I just don't think it's true one bit, but that's what a message board is for, agreeing and disagreeing.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA

Would it be nice or easier if Sakic, Roy, Forsberg etc were more like ghosts than overhanging shadows? Would it be nice if the struggles of the team didn't coincide with the 20th anniversary?

Probably, but it is up to the present players to give us a reason to forget the old stories. It is up to them to give us new stories to tell. It is up to them to cope with the constant focus and marketing around the 20th and understand that there is not much to celebrate in the recent past and so it falls back to the legends.

The exact thing that made so many people love Duchene from day 1, may also contribute to the problem

Duchene.jpg

When the generation you are counting on now to make a new story grew up at the exact time the old legends of the franchise were in their prime, it is hard not to think there would always be that shadow no matter who was the GM or Coach.

I do agree with the thinking that the hiring from "within the family" has and creates it's own limitations. I felt that way even back when Sacco was fired and Sherman was still the GM (at least in title). Just as the lessons of signing mid 30s veterans are being learned, I think the organization is learning from this experiment. Whether it works or not is still TBD, but the current results are definitely less than desired.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Iginla would be a good player on a contender playing limited role at this stage of his career, like playing on Hawks 3rd line or something, he's a completely wrong fit for the Avs

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Iginla would be a good player on a contender playing limited role at this stage of his career, like playing on Hawks 3rd line or something, he's a completely wrong fit for the Avs

He'd be just as lost in Chicago given their possession style. He looked crappy with Pittsburgh for the same reasons, Iggy would do well in a limited role with crash and bang team. No secret why it worked out with the Bruins.

It's worrisome that they thought he can be a good fit here.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Edmonton is ahead of us and we are the worst team in the West. Let that sink in...

Meh. Anders Nilsson, at least for the time being, is doing for them what Varly has done for us the past two seasons.

I mean they're icing two rookies, a sophmore, a pylon, a no-defence-whatsoever offensive defensemen, and Andrej Sekera as their defence core, but it seems to be working. Our equivalent would probably be:

Beauchemin-EJ
Bigras-Barrie
Zadorov-Gormley

compared to:

Nurse-Sekera
Klefbom-Schultz
Davidson-Gryba

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
And we'll still probably pick out of the top 10

I wouldnt bet on it. Especially If we finally sell some players at trade deadline (Iggy @ half price, Tanguay @ half price whatever). I'm sure someone would bite Iggy @ 50%. Then call Rantanen up to NHL. I would be fine with that..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad