Complaining thread

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Dallas I think we match or beat them in Goal and on D though. 2 out of 3 should compensate for lacking Benn-Seguin in my mind.

Just like Nash bests us on D, but our talent at FWD is better and Goal is arguable of late

Dallas defensive corps is decent, i'd say it's close. EJ is still the best defenseman, but than they have players that are comparable to Beauch (Oduya) and Barrie (Klingberg). Demers and Gogo are both are easily better than any of our bottom 3.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Dallas I think we match or beat them in Goal and on D though. 2 out of 3 should compensate for lacking Benn-Seguin in my mind.

Just like Nash bests us on D, but our talent at FWD is better and Goal is arguable of late

Klingberg = EJ
Goligoski < Beauch
Demers << Barrie
Oduya >> Holden

About equal there to me... I'd argue Dallas has more well rounded top 4 and a touch more depth. I can see it either way. Neither are good top 4s. I'd say they at least have 4 top 4 quality defensmen (hurts to say considering how much I dislike Goligoski) while the Avs only have 3.

Goaltending... Varly is better than both Niemi and Lehtonen, but they are better than Berra. Niemi is a top 20 goalie when playing well, he is pretty much playing that way. Debateable because of depth.

Forwards... it isn't close with Dallas. Their advantage here is huge. Landy is the only forward where I'd say the Avs are better in the slotting 1-12 (#3 between Landy and Sharp/Spezza). They are SO much better up front.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Difference between Stars forward core and Avs is consistency. They have Benn and Seguin who you don't have to worry about going on long scoring droughts, something you can't say about any of the Avs top forwards.

Duchene struggled to score in the 1st two months of the season, MacKinnon was hot but he's been struggling for a while now and Landeskog is on and off himself.

Big difference in consistency. I'm hoping MacKinnon becomes more consistent player because Avs really need that and they haven't had it since Sakic and Forsberg

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Well when MacKinnon is not 20 he probably will be. All this *****ing about MacK lately and he still leads the team in scoring. Yeah I know his game is to score goals but part of being consistent is still finding your way on the scoresheet when things aren't going fantastic.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Well when MacKinnon is not 20 he probably will be. All this *****ing about MacK lately and he still leads the team in scoring. Yeah I know his game is to score goals but part of being consistent is still finding your way on the scoresheet when things aren't going fantastic.

I agree, but MacKinnon hasn't exactly been doing that. The reason he still leads this team in scoring is because of the insane lead he built up after the first month and a half lol. 13 games without a goal now, only 6 assists during these 13 games.

He's also only had more than 2 shots in 3 of those 13 games. I don't know if he's got a major problem with his hand but he just isn't shooting the puck enough. Start firing away like your last name is Ovechkin. Eventually pucks will start going in, beating goalies clean or off of bounces/deflections.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think it's so much he had a big lead it's that it's been secondary scoring lately. I agree he's not being himself he can do better. I'm not disagreeing with that. I just think it's funny that in the big picture he's still leading the team.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
I just had a terrible realization: we won't be able to ask Iggy to waive his NMC at the deadline if we're still in the playoff race. That could very well mean losing on all fronts:

- missing the playoffs
- not getting a good draft pick
- getting stuck with an (even worse) Iggy next year at nearly 6M cap space.

:cry:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I just had a terrible realization: we won't be able to ask Iggy to waive his NMC at the deadline if we're still in the playoff race. That could very well mean losing on all fronts:

- missing the playoffs
- not getting a good draft pick
- getting stuck with an (even worse) Iggy next year at nearly 6M cap space.

:cry:

he might waive it in the offseason.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Avs Corsi: 44.36%, worst in the league.

at some point, avs were doing better in high-danger scoring chances. they aren't worst (3rd worst) but they only have 45% of high danger scoring-chances. fenwick is at 45.5 % and shot differential is 46.4%. so shot differential is 2% better than corsi, probably related to shot blocking but i'm not sure about the fenwick differential, whether it comes from not missing shots or forcing the other team to miss shots.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
I really don't care about damn corsi in relation to this team anymore.

PREACH!

People worry far too much on Adv. stats. In the end, a crappy corsi team that wins more games than it loses (see 2 years ago) is just fine by me (albeit very frustrating at times).

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I get that the idea is to possess the puck more and they need to improve in that area but this team will ALWAYS be in the bottom half (at least) of the league in corsi and high in PDO, its pointless to check the "standings"

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I get that the idea is to possess the puck more and they need to improve in that area but this team will ALWAYS be in the bottom half (at least) of the league in corsi and high in PDO, its pointless to check the "standings"

this team probably won't be winning much if that's the case.

why would they will always be at the bottom half in corsi?

high in PDO i think is certainly possible, maybe even likely.

Last edited:

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Duchene needs new linemates. Now. Putting Mitchell in a scoring line is always a mistake, no matter how hot he gets on the third line, and he's way too slow for a guy like Duchene. Martinsen brings a big body but not much else, his shot is weak as hell. I'd honestly rather see Skille in his place, at least he can shoot and skate. Switch Grigorenko and Mitchell at the very least, and move Duchene back to center.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Duchene needs new linemates. Now. Putting Mitchell in a scoring line is always a mistake, no matter how hot he gets on the third line, and he's way too slow for a guy like Duchene. Martinsen brings a big body but not much else, his shot is weak as hell. I'd honestly rather see Skille in his place, at least he can shoot and skate. Switch Grigorenko and Mitchell at the very least, and move Duchene back to center.

Duchene needs either MacK or Landy. I'm not saying put the 9s back together but he needs at least one of the two.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
this team probably won't be winning much if that's the case.

Exactly this. Corsi = dominating and dictating the game. People on this board tend to treat corsi like it's some kind of hispter stat that you shouldn't rely on. See that 2nd period yesterday? That's good corsi vs bad corsi. And that good corsi team yesterday happens to win cups for that reason. They dominate games; a thing that the AVS never do.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Corsi really is an overrated stat. Puck possession stats are certainly indicative of things but they completely ignore a lot of other very important components of what wins hockey games. While we were dominated on possession last night, it's easy to forget that we STILL ENDED REGULATION 3-3. What matters isn't how many shots you get or even how many scoring chances you get, it's whether or not you convert on the chances you do get. Chicago converted on exactly as many scoring opportunities as we did until we gave them the game in overtime.

I would rather see our current team grow the mental toughness to win these sorts of games than see our entire roster overhauled with players who look sexy on their Corsi stats.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Let's be honest here, we don't need some obscure stats to tell us how bad this team is. The worst part is that they won't be bad enough to get us a top-5 pick and I really, really want Tkachuk on this team.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Let's be honest here, we don't need some obscure stats to tell us how bad this team is. The worst part is that they won't be bad enough to get us a top-5 pick and I really, really want Tkachuk on this team.
The Avs could very easily get a top 3 pick even if they're out of the bottom 5. The draft lottery this year eliminates tanking.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad