News Article: Comparing the Canucks to the Oilers

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
I have more faith that Lockwood, Madden, Lind, Dahlen, etc are a better depth pool than whatever the Oilers have had the last 10 years.

Conplete Canuck googles and regency bias, the prospects the oilers had prospects easily at that level who didn’t turn out, just like those 4 you listed probably wont

Reactions: dim jim

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
What talk has there been of Bobrovsky coming to Vancouver? Because Ian Clark is the goalie coach? Bit of a stretch
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-november-23-2018/

There’s talk from JD Burke in there about them going after him, mentioned on team 1040 enough that it’s a plausible that benning is considering it has.

At the end of the day the question is simply do you believe they are dumb enough to do it, you say no I say yes. We will wait and see but I bet even if they don’t sign him they go sniffing around.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017
https://thehockeywriters.com/nhl-rumors-november-23-2018/

There’s talk from JD Burke in there about them going after him, mentioned on team 1040 enough that it’s a plausible that benning is considering it has.

At the end of the day the question is simply do you believe they are dumb enough to do it, you say no I say yes. We will wait and see but I bet even if they don’t sign him they go sniffing around.
This was written a month ago before Markstrom went on a tear and Demko was recalled. Also, Burke. Not a real source. He is also just speculating they might have interest. Nothing to see here. Lazy journalism looking for hits

Reactions: Pastor Of Muppetz

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
-Top heavy salary structure problems
-Only one buyout left for this season and next
-Inconsistent/poor goaltending
-Have never had a decent group of defencemen for over a decade
- Do not have the depth in their prospect pool that are capable of playing depth roles on the team.
-No idea how to build a balanced squad..(and given their salary structure, and contracts like Lucic's..they dont have any wiggle room)

These are some of the current problems, and thats not even opening the can of worms that has been the Oilers in the last decade (Horrendous trades,..Way too much privilege given to their young star players ,.. leadership issues,.coaching carousel..etc)

The Eriksson deal stands out as one of Benning worst moves, but the Canucks issues completely pale as compared to the Oilers.

Let's not be so hasty here because bad ownership is still bad ownership.

Even though we're currently experiencing a minor positive bump the last three years DID still happen and as far as anyone knows we could regress back to it at a moment's notice.

It very well could be that we're in a honey moon stage with Petey just like the Coilers had their honeymoon stage with Conner back in 2016-17 and everything could come crashing down in a couple years.

Since the 13-14 season, the Aquilinis have shown everyone who they are and until we get a real GM in charge, I'll always be waiting for the other shoe to drop.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Since 2010 the Oilers have had more first overall picks than anyone in the NHL (four); two other guys drafted in the top three (Draisaitl and Puljujarvi) and a steady stream of other top-10 picks.

It's almost impossible to comprehend how they could still be this bad. But unfortunately they couldn't find anyone in the draft outside of the first round; and were never able to draft or trade for a decent goaltender.

Now it looks like they're going to can another GM. Who's the next sacrificial lamb in Oil Country?

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
If there’s any gm that is some how even worse than jb it’s peter chiarelli for sure lol check out their latest trade it’s so freaking bad

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
Pickle Time Deli & Market
Pretty interesting to note here ,how the longtime negative posters are not even bothering to address how we're turning into the Oilers..Rather ,its just become another extension of the incessant Benning whining from the management thread.

BENNING HAS BEEN HERE AND HAS ONLY BROUGHT IN 2 CORE PLAYERS IN 5 YEARS.

Good enough for you? How about Benning's FA record? How about the fact he traded Kesler and turned it into Gudbranson and Sutter.

DonnyNucker

Mar 28, 2017

Good enough for you? How about Benning's FA record? How about the fact he traded Kesler and turned it into Gudbranson and Sutter.
Calm down

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
In 2015, Chiarelli sent the 16th overall pick (Matt Barzal) and the 33rd overall pick to the Islanders for Griffin Reinhart. And then dealt Taylor Hall (Hart Trophy) to the Devils for Adam Larsson.

I know Jimbo was pilloried for the Gudbranson trade, but he's never pulled off any deals as remotely bad as those. Come on!

Reactions: Wo Yorfat

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

In two months from now ,it will most likely be three elite/core players in 5 years...Most of Bennings FA's have been placeholders on short term deals..Anyway...your Benning ranting belongs in the management thread..

How do we compare to the Oilers?

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Edmonton is bad because of who they surrounded their 3 good forwards McDavid Draisatl and RNH with: Lucic, Spooner, Reider, Chiasson, Rattie, Khaira, Brodziak, Kassian. Additionally their bad because they've never put together a good back end, a couple good pieces but overall underwhelming.

Vancouver on the other hand has Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat upfront, and have surrounded them with Eriksson, Sutter, Baerstchi, Roussell, Beagle, Granlund, Goldobin, Virtanen, Schaller, and Leivo. Half those guys are locked in to expensive contracts for the next 3-4 seasons. Are backend is also pretty underwhelming, with a few okay pieces in place but overall highly underwhelming.

So outside of not having made a Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson type trade are we really all that different? I think the article said we could go either way right now but we're already locked into contracts like Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Baerstchi, and Gudbranson to big $$$ for medium term, and every off season gives Benning a chance to sign more UFA contracts.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
In 2015, Chiarelli sent the 16th overall pick (Matt Barzal) and the 33rd overall pick to the Islanders for Griffin Reinhart. And then dealt Taylor Hall (Hart Trophy) to the Devils for Adam Larsson.

I know Jimbo was pilloried for the Gudbranson trade, but he's never pulled off any deals as remotely bad as those. Come on!
and apparently, this years 1st is up for grabs...?..(personally,I think that the Oilers upper management is going to take his phone away and shut him down before he does anymore damage..same thing that happened to Gillis)

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
In two months from now ,it will most likely be three elite/core players in 5 years...Most of Bennings FA's have been placeholders on short term deals..Anyway...your Benning ranting belongs in the management thread..

Only reason he has those core players is because the team he built to compete, completely sucked and he lucked into some top picks - where he completely botched two of them. We have what, two good support players and even they likely won't be here once we start competing. Edmonton had no good support players for their youth, we are doing the same thing.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Hmmm just made a similar comment to this in the Around the League thread without knowing about the article.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Only reason he has those core players is because the team he built to compete, completely sucked and he lucked into some top picks - where he completely botched two of them. We have what, two good support players and even they likely won't be here once we start competing. Edmonton had no good support players for their youth, we are doing the same thing.
So we lucked into our top picks..?...okey dokey...Who needs Judd Bracket and Thomas Gradin then.,should just turf them yeah...?..Ok..so you think that we're turning into the Oilers..Great stuff PGCanuck ,thats all I need to know.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
and apparently, this years 1st is up for grabs...?..(personally,I think that the Oilers upper management is going to take his phone away and shut him down before he does anymore damage..same thing that happened to Gillis)

lol you wish it was the same thing that happened to Gillis. Nice bait post though. I was waiting for the first utterance of Gillis here.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So we lucked into our top picks..?...okey dokey...Who needs Judd Bracket and Thomas Gradin then.,should just turf them yeah...?..Ok..so you think that we're turning into the Oilers..Great stuff PGCanuck ,thats all I need to know.

That is not what I was saying. Benning was trying to compete, and instead ended up with Boeser and Pettersson. That is pretty lucky considering what this management was trying to do. Everyone here is happy about the job Gradin and especially Brackett are doing, and it's clear they have an eye for talent.

Reactions: RainbowDeathBunny

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver

Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Dorsett, Sbisa Roussel, Gudbransson &Gagner all got more than 2 year deals. A placeholder is at most at 2 years.

The only placeholders Benning has signed is Vanek, Bartkowski, Burmistrov and Del Zotto.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
They are similar in a lot ways

Both teams have the big 3 at forward BH BB EP for the Canucks and Edm have VM LD RNH and a big drop off afterwards with a bunch of middle 6 wingers and 3rd/4th liners. Both teams lacking depth, Both teams don't have a true number 1 D. Both teams drafted a bust in the 1st round JP/Virtanen. Both teams having problems finding nhl player outside of the 1st round. Both teams had sign horrible free agents and made horrible trades. Both GM came from Boston.

They are similar in Many ways. Even though JB had made horrible trades. Nothing compares to the Hall and the Reinhart trades.

As a season ticket holder I want to see playoffs but making the playoffs might not be a great idea. They need a few morw high picks. They are still missing a lot of pieces. I said this in a lot thread to win a cup you need 7 or 8 really good to great players. If you include Hughes. They have 4, They still need 3 or 4. If they can't get those 3 or 4 players within the next few year or at least 2. Then they will become Oilers and not the Jets.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Edmonton is bad because of who they surrounded their 3 good forwards McDavid Draisatl and RNH with: Lucic, Spooner, Reider, Chiasson, Rattie, Khaira, Brodziak, Kassian. Additionally their bad because they've never put together a good back end, a couple good pieces but overall underwhelming.

Vancouver on the other hand has Pettersson, Boeser, and Horvat upfront, and have surrounded them with Eriksson, Sutter, Baerstchi, Roussell, Beagle, Granlund, Goldobin, Virtanen, Schaller, and Leivo. Half those guys are locked in to expensive contracts for the next 3-4 seasons. Are backend is also pretty underwhelming, with a few okay pieces in place but overall highly underwhelming.

So outside of not having made a Taylor Hall for Adam Larsson type trade are we really all that different? I think the article said we could go either way right now but we're already locked into contracts like Eriksson, Beagle, Roussel, Sutter, Baerstchi, and Gudbranson to big $$$ for medium term, and every off season gives Benning a chance to sign more UFA contracts.

We aren't that different, no. Goaltending is a difference. The fact that Benning has yet to pay out on Boeser and Pettersson is a difference.

It's ironic to critique their defense while looking at our own.
It's funny to critique their roster balance while looking at this roster.

They don't have a prospect pool, but once Hughes graduates, what does ours look like?

To me, it's just that we're a few years behind. The style of the overall roster makeup, the consistent shortfall in trades, the horrid pro scouting, the porous management and foolish ownership... it's all there.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Sutter, Eriksson, Beagle, Dorsett, Sbisa Roussel, Gudbransson &Gagner all got more than 2 year deals. A placeholder is at most at 2 years.

The only placeholders Benning has signed is Vanek, Bartkowski, Burmistrov and Del Zotto.

He wrote FA. Sbisa Gudbranson Dorsett Sutter are not free FA. You forgot Nilsson was for 2 years as well

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
At least Benning realizes that the game is trending towards speed and skating. The reason that Oilers are where they are is because Chiarelli is still stuck in the stone ages of size and toughness. I don't think we have any worries that we become Edmonton 2.0

I think Benning's high round drafting trends towards skill and skating. Pettersson and Hughes are the new direction. On the big club, it's tough to say. Eriksson is slow, and Beagle isn't a burner. Schaller, Granlund, Boeser, Leivo, Pouliot, Edler, Gudbranson are not fast IMO. Boeser is skilled though...

I'm not sure there's any one aspect that we can point to and say that this will be the distinction between VAN and EDM. The closest ones would be drafting and goaltending. The roster makeup is eerily similar.

Reactions: pomorick

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad