News Article: Comparing the Canucks to the Oilers

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The 2014 draft is also a good example of ineptitude. For the sake of this point, let's agree we've been a good drafting team under Benning.

We've had awful asset management.

Traded McCann and more for Gudbranson.
Traded Forsling for Clendening.
Didn't play Tryamkin enough so completely squandered him.

So we went from having five potential players to just two.
How much is McCann worth as an asset to he average NHL GM..?...3rd line player, had a few healthy scratches lately because Bjugstad is back...Is he worth more of an asset than Gudbranson?..I wouldn't say so...Benning did concede value though, in giving up the 2nd.

Forsling for Clendening..meh..

Russian player does not value playing in the NHL as much as one would think ..Goes home to play in the KHL...It happens all the time.

Reactions: GoTeamDom

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The Leafs have drafted Dermott and Leivo on the last 5 years..who else (of any impact) has made their team outside of their 1st round picks?
You're going to see this tested in the coming years, that's why pick accrual and prospect development is so important. So they can continue recycle vets for futures and promote from within. Rome isn't built in a day, but this is similar to what allowed Chicago to compete for the 3 cups while selling vets, same with Tampa.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
How much is McCann worth as an asset to he average NHL GM..?...3rd line player, had a few healthy scratches lately because Bjugstad is back...Is he worth more of an asset than Gudbranson?..I wouldn't say so...Benning did concede value though, in giving up the 2nd.

Forsling for Clendening..meh..

Russian player does not value playing in the NHL as much as one would think ..Goes home to play in the KHL...It happens all the time.
McCann might be waiver fodder within the year. He developed a horrible reputation before being traded, when he was singled out by Matt Bartkowski's drunk mom on a radio interview. She absolutely shredded him, and at that point the cat was out of the bag that McCann was a player with a big attitude problem (there was a reason he already fell in the draft, coupled with his horrible draft-day interview when he was clearly not excited to come to the Canucks).

I am surprised the Canucks were able to move him for anything, despite his age. I think the Islanders would do Ho-Sang and a 2nd for Gudbranson at this point. I am also certain the Canucks only gave him playing time that year so they could prop up his value and get him off the team.

Since I'm already piling on, here is some more fodder in case you think the Canucks made a bad decision.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
McCann might be waiver fodder within the year. He developed a horrible reputation before being traded, when he was singled out by Matt Bartkowski's drunk mom on a radio interview. She absolutely shredded him, and at that point the cat was out of the bag that McCann was a player with a big attitude problem (there was a reason he already fell in the draft, coupled with his horrible draft-day interview when he was clearly not excited to come to the Canucks).

I am surprised the Canucks were able to move him for anything, despite his age. I think the Islanders would do Ho-Sang and a 2nd for Gudbranson at this point. I am also certain the Canucks only gave him playing time that year so they could prop up his value and get him off the team.
Interesting..?..I didn't think that McCann was that bad..Obviously there were clues, like the Pedan tweet.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Interesting..?..I didn't think that McCann was that bad..Obviously there were clues, like the Pedan tweet.
Go listen to the Bartkowski mom interview in full. She has to ask the radio guys what his name is and then is pre-emptively flabbergasted as she tries to find the words to describe her hate. It's also dope because she is hammered.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Okay I found a version of the interview but it's the next-day one where she is on with Sekeres.

She says everyone on the team is the nicest guy on the team "except that little 19 year old what's his name". It's not as mean as I remember but I don't have time to listen to the full interview to find out if there were more blips

(5:00 minutes in)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Thanks for posting that. I was about to call you out on your extreme exaggeration.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Go listen to the Bartkowski mom interview in full. She has to ask the radio guys what his name is and then is pre-emptively flabbergasted as she tries to find the words to describe her hate. It's also dope because she is hammered.

You hyped that up pretty hard. I listened and there’s hardly anything there.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
Only reason he has those core players is because the team he built to compete, completely sucked and he lucked into some top picks - where he completely botched two of them. We have what, two good support players and even they likely won't be here once we start competing. Edmonton had no good support players for their youth, we are doing the same thing.
Good job he didn't listen to the "experts" on here about those particular picks then, isn't it?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Good job he didn't listen to the "experts" on here about those particular picks then, isn't it?

If he did, he wouldn’t have Pettersson because....he would have Tkachuk and Nylander/Ehlers. You’re almost making this too easy for me - I appreciate the alley oops though.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Yes to Roussel but meh to Beagle. Better to give him an incomplete at this point (only played some twenty something games for us so far)
He is doing exactly what is asked of him, and more.
Positive faceoff percentage (even better when the Canucks are shorthanded)
Positive +/- despite playing mostly shorthanded & defensive minutes
Second-highest SHTOI on the team (only behind Sutter)

You can sign $1m UFA defensive centres - that's easy. Lots of players want to play in the NHL, but you generally get what you pay for. The Canucks paid for something better than a plug for the deployments they needed to cover this year.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Trying to build your roster through FA is going to fail. You’ll overpay and end up far closer to the cap than you want.

2011 team was made up of trades and one or two FA signings. Benning is trying to complete his roster through FA.

stampedingviking

Jul 2, 2013
Basingstoke, England
How can people think management is learning when they just signed Beagle to a 3m AAV 4 year contract this past offseason?

Next, does the Juolevi selection show learning from the Virtanen selection? If so, how? Or, are we only looking at Pettersson and Hughes to show this learning (selection bias)?

If you include "missing on a few UFAs" in 2018, then you don't really like Benning's 2017 and onward resume.

Benning signs bad contracts, still has cap space, doesn't sting that much... Ummm, OK? Do we need it to sting before we understand these are bad contracts? Why keep the books solid only starting now? Illogical.

He has failed most every test. Give this guy the boot so he can join Chiarelli, wherever that may be.
There's nothing wrong with the Beagle signing (or Roussel). Both are an upgrade on what we had before.

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
Two..but they're all assets, and returned assets...McCann turned into Gudbranson..Tryamkin,we still own his rights..Forsling,traded
Gudbransson is not an asset, asshat is the word your looking for. And Benning added to McCann to get that.

Forsling was traded for Clendenning. Tryamkin is in Russia. The great 2014 draft so far has gotten us a third liner, a backup goalie, and half a no 6 d-man. Great stuff.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
If he did, he wouldn’t have Pettersson because....he would have Tkachuk and Nylander/Ehlers. You’re almost making this too easy for me - I appreciate the alley oops though.

I'll take Pettersson honestly. I think it's really hard to win the Cup without that #1 C. Having Pettersson in place really does change everything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad