dsddtt003.jpeg

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Now that you've read Triumph and Torment -

My favorite panel in the whole book is the last one on this page:

dsddtt003.jpeg

Agree. I specifically remember that sticking out to me while I was reading it. I very much enjoyed that. Gave a fantastic insight into the mindset of Doom, which I've seen more with other stuff I have read on him. That helped me understand why people seem to love him so much as a villain, and why he could be kickass in the MCU if done correctly.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Through 2 of 6 parts in Doomwar, but I am very much enjoying it so far. Interested to see where it goes from here. I'll have to see how it goes, but one thought I've had is that this would make an interesting storyline for a Black Panther movie. Not saying they would or even should go down that route, but I am saying I would be intrigued by it.

@The Macho Man You said you haven't read this one, right? I would give it a shot if I were you. I have the hard copy, but I pretty sure it's on Unlimited.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Through 2 of 6 parts in Doomwar, but I am very much enjoying it so far. Interested to see where it goes from here. I'll have to see how it goes, but one thought I've had is that this would make an interesting storyline for a Black Panther movie. Not saying they would or even should go down that route, but I am saying I would be intrigued by it.

@The Macho Man You said you haven't read this one, right? I would give it a shot if I were you. I have the hard copy, but I pretty sure it's on Unlimited.
I have a general understanding of the story because it was referenced in Infinity, I believe. I'll check it out sometime. I'm going to go through Miller's Daredevil first and then do some greatest hits Spider-Man.

BTW - while I'm working through Miller's Daredevil, and having recently re-read Triumph and Torment...

I think I prefer how comics were written more in the 80s than today in a lot of ways? There's more exposition and more internal dialogue. I mean, at some level it's a bit hammy, but it also functions well as making you feel closer to the POV character.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I have a general understanding of the story because it was referenced in Infinity, I believe. I'll check it out sometime. I'm going to go through Miller's Daredevil first and then do some greatest hits Spider-Man.

BTW - while I'm working through Miller's Daredevil, and having recently re-read Triumph and Torment...

I think I prefer how comics were written more in the 80s than today in a lot of ways? There's more exposition and more internal dialogue. I mean, at some level it's a bit hammy, but it also functions well as making you feel closer to the POV character.

I would agree with that last part. I think today's comics are superior from a visual standpoint, but the older ones tell the story a bit better, for the most part. I didn't really like that when I first started reading comics, because I thought it felt like maybe a bit too much, but I've come to appreciate how important it is to really understand the story and the characters.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
@The Macho Man
Just got around to finishing Cosmic Ghost Rider: Baby Thanos Must Die. Definitely fits the bill as a completely ridiculous, self-indulgent, beautiful catastrophe of a comic book. It was pure comic book fun. I’m definitely gonna get the next one when it comes out as a trade.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
@The Macho Man
Just got around to finishing Cosmic Ghost Rider: Baby Thanos Must Die. Definitely fits the bill as a completely ridiculous, self-indulgent, beautiful catastrophe of a comic book. It was pure comic book fun. I’m definitely gonna get the next one when it comes out as a trade.
Glad you enjoyed it.

CGR destroys Marvel History isn't quite as good yet, but I've only read #1 so far.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Finished Doomwar.

It’s okay.

It’s a fun journey to follow for Doom, but that’s about it. The story sets up a big battle at the end, and that was rather lackluster. It was interesting, but it seemed to be rushed or not fleshed out fully.

But I enjoyed Doom’s journey, especially in the middle part. Not sure where the story goes after this, so I’ll have to look that up... but I’m interested to see that.

Overall, I would recommend a read, but keep in mind it’s basically a story for Doom & T’Challa / Shuri, though there are some others mixed in throughout. And some of them probably don’t get to shine as much as some would like. Basically, just don’t expect greatness, and it’s a fun read, with some pretty interesting parts within.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Some reading time this weekend has allowed me to finish a lot up.

Just finished Thanos Wins. Damn - I loved that! f***ing awesome series. Some awesome moments, great pictures, and just a fun story overall.

So does the Cosmic Ghost Rider pick up right after that? May have to check that out now. His role in Thanos Wins was something I enjoyed a lot.

It also makes me want to read more on the Silver Surfer. Anyway recommendations for stories with that character? I’ll probably read the origin story on Unlimited eventually here.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Some reading time this weekend has allowed me to finish a lot up.

Just finished Thanos Wins. Damn - I loved that! ****ing awesome series. Some awesome moments, great pictures, and just a fun story overall.

So does the Cosmic Ghost Rider pick up right after that? May have to check that out now. His role in Thanos Wins was something I enjoyed a lot.

It also makes me want to read more on the Silver Surfer. Anyway recommendations for stories with that character? I’ll probably read the origin story on Unlimited eventually here.
Silver Surfer is better as a supporting character in my book. I just find him boring on his own. But that's me.

His role in Annihilation is pretty good, although hes out of the picture for most of the series proper he is heavily involved in the lead up tie-ins. And of course the first appearance of Galactus and SS are classic (FF 48-50 I think?).

Also CGR picks up after Thanos Annual I think, but it's not super important. It does have a funny Thanos vignette displaying just how evil he is though. Worth reading on Unlimited I think. Search by creator (Donny Cates).

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Silver Surfer is better as a supporting character in my book. I just find him boring on his own. But that's me.

His role in Annihilation is pretty good, although hes out of the picture for most of the series proper he is heavily involved in the lead up tie-ins. And of course the first appearance of Galactus and SS are classic (FF 48-50 I think?).

Also CGR picks up after Thanos Annual I think, but it's not super important. It does have a funny Thanos vignette displaying just how evil he is though. Worth reading on Unlimited I think. Search by creator (Donny Cates).

Yeah, I just wanted a little more background info on Silver Surfer. I’ll read some of those to get a better idea on him.

I have Annihilation on my to-read list. Will probably read through that on Unlimited, as it would be easier reading through it than getting hard copies for things. And I am starting to read the hard copy of Secret Wars.

I may just order the CGR trade on Amazon. It’s only $10, and I don’t think Unlimited has the entire trade available yet. Just 1-4.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
CGR 5 issues, so I'd imagine it'll be on in a week or two. But I'd get the hard copy - it's worth it.

Look into the other lead ins for Annihilation- they're (mostly) really good and important background. Same if you decide on reading Annihilation: Conquest.

Annihilation is the best crossover of the past 20 years at least in my book.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Alright, I was curious about all the Annihilation tie-ins. I’ll have to look up that reading order online.

Also, I wanted to read another Cates run of something. I went to his brief Dr. Strange run of “Loki: Sorcerer Supreme,” and I’m actually enjoying it quite a bit. Not anything I’d want a hard copy of, but fun to read on Unlimited.

Anyway, I will say, I enjoy the commentary and humor mixed in Cates writings. His humor reminds me of MCU humor, so I can appreciate that.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I'm skipping all over the place right now with my comics. But I'm reading the paperback Secret Wars, while also starting up the 2018 Infinity Countdown (and, eventually, Infinity Wars) series. I figure if I like the Infinity Countdown series enough, I will get a hard copy of the main books in the Infinity Wars series. Thank goodness for the internet, though, because the jumping around on these series can get quite confusing.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Okay, that works for me then. I saw that his run touched on it, but I wasn't sure how much of it was important. If I can understand it on it's own, then I'll probably avoid most of that other stuff to avoid having too much to catch up on.

Personally I would read "Time Runs Out" (the Avengers/New Avengers stuff) before Secret Wars. I think it's good and worth reading on its own. Infinity led into TRO, and that was pretty good too.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I'm skipping all over the place right now with my comics. But I'm reading the paperback Secret Wars, while also starting up the 2018 Infinity Countdown (and, eventually, Infinity Wars) series. I figure if I like the Infinity Countdown series enough, I will get a hard copy of the main books in the Infinity Wars series. Thank goodness for the internet, though, because the jumping around on these series can get quite confusing.
Infinity Wars sucked. Some of the tie ins were good though.

Agreed on Time Runs Out from above. It's decent.

But honestly, I'd just suggest going back a bit further since you have unlimited. Theres too much good shit out there.

Infinity has a nice collected edition, but I didnt like the core Thanos story much except for Black Bolt going nuts. Avengers in space was good though.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Infinity Wars sucked. Some of the tie ins were good though.

Agreed on Time Runs Out from above. It's decent.

But honestly, I'd just suggest going back a bit further since you have unlimited. Theres too much good **** out there.

Infinity has a nice collected edition, but I didnt like the core Thanos story much except for Black Bolt going nuts. Avengers in space was good though.

Yeah, I'm just gonna give it a shot and see how it goes. I've gone in with low expectations, so maybe I'll enjoy it. But if I do, I'm going to get the hard copy anyway.

So, I have a way of going about it. I read the hard copy stuff at break during work / during the evening at home / over the weekend, and then I read Unlimited stuff at night on my laptop or even phone sometimes. So, I am reading hard copy and Unlimited stuff at the same time.

That said, my Unlimited "to-read" list right now is, in order:

1.) Test out Infinity Countdown to see if I want to get the Infinity Wars stuff
2.) Continue to read the FF Hickman run. I just sprinkle this in throughout.
3.) Annihilation series & tie-ins (would go hard copy with this, but it seems to be all over the place)
4.) Secret Wars (1984)
6.) Some Spider-Man / Mysterio stuff (not sure what yet exactly)
6.) Eternals (reading this simply to just get a background on them for when the movie comes out)
7.) Some Dr. Strange stuff, though I'm not sure what yet
8.) Whatever else pops up

That list is subject to change, but I legit have been keeping track of all this on my phone so I have an idea of how I want to approach it since I have so much to catch up on.

And my hard copy "to-read" list is:
1.) 2014 Secret Wars (currently reading)
2.) Cosmic Ghost Rider (just got delivered today)
3.) Infinity Wars if I want to
4.) Daredevil: Devils Guardian (was recommend this for a Mysterio tie-in comic)
5.) Fantastic Four (1963-1964) #19-36 & Annual #1-2 (Got this Epic Collection a little bit ago)
6.) Days of Future Past (also got this trade a bit ago)

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
God I forgot how cheesy Venom looked in his first appearance with that toothy ass grin.

86d02e2ea05064617ef5184bb0111d1e.jpg

Edit: Also - Venom is definitely nostalgia, because his first appearance(s) are not good at all.

I'd be receptive to some recs for 80s/90s/early 00s stories and writer's runs to read for when I run out of Miller's Daredevil.

Last edited:
Reactions: Steve Varlamov

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Read Cosmic Ghost Rider #1-3. Will probably finish the rest tonight.

OMG. What am I even reading?? Soooooo ridiculous, but I don't want to stop reading. Just so crazy that it's amazing at the same time. Lots of little unexpected twist, and I'm loving the drawings. Baby Thanos cracks me the f*** up. So glad I ordered this.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Read Cosmic Ghost Rider #1-3. Will probably finish the rest tonight.

OMG. What am I even reading?? Soooooo ridiculous, but I don't want to stop reading. Just so crazy that it's amazing at the same time. Lots of little unexpected twist, and I'm loving the drawings. Baby Thanos cracks me the **** up. So glad I ordered this.
Yeah from what you have written in here, I don't know if you've experienced how crazy comics can get.

I love this panel.
IMG_0410.jpg

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Yeah from what you have written in here, I don't know if you've experienced how crazy comics can get.

I love this panel.
IMG_0410.jpg

Yeah, with just scratching the surface on these, I definitely have never come across something like this yet. It's great.

There are numerous panels where I laughed out loud..

upload_2019-5-15_14-18-39.png

upload_2019-5-15_14-18-59.png upload_2019-5-15_14-19-17.png

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
Anybody have a weekly pull list?

My pulls from this week:

Age of X-Man: Next Gen #4
Age of X-Man: The Marvelous X-Men #4
The Amazing Spider-Man #21
Guardians of the Galaxy #5
Sabrina The Teenage Witch #2
Star Wars #66
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Lando Calrissian
Uncanny X-Men #18

I was collecting War of the Realms but there’s just way too many tie ins. I’ll wait for a deluxe HC or Omnibus. I dropped my weekly DC pulls, I just wasn’t reading them much, thought I’d just collect their deluxe HC’s instead. After Age of X-Man I’m going to start collecting The Immortal Hulk, people tell me it’s really good, I also will start collecting more Dark Horse titles.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Anybody have a weekly pull list?

My pulls from this week:

Age of X-Man: Next Gen #4
Age of X-Man: The Marvelous X-Men #4
The Amazing Spider-Man #21
Guardians of the Galaxy #5
Sabrina The Teenage Witch #2
Star Wars #66
Star Wars: Age of Rebellion - Lando Calrissian
Uncanny X-Men #18

I was collecting War of the Realms but there’s just way too many tie ins. I’ll wait for a deluxe HC or Omnibus. I dropped my weekly DC pulls, I just want reading them much, thought I’d just collect their deluxe HC’s instead. After Age of X-Man I’m going to start collecting The Immortal Hulk, people tell me it’s really good, I also will start collecting more Dark Horse titles.
I stopped pulling awhile ago and just get traded mostly. I just don't make it to a comic book store frequently.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015
5.) Fantastic Four (1963-1964) #19-36 & Annual #1-2 (Got this Epic Collection a little bit ago)
6.) Days of Future Past (also got this trade a bit ago)
Claremont and Byrne X-Men is the best! Lee/Kirby FF run is my favorite FF, I own their entire run and it’s so worth it. In my opinion it is one of, if not, the best introduction to the Marvel Universe. My most expensive comic is the original FF annual #2, I love Doctor Doom.

I stopped pulling awhile ago and just get traded mostly. I just don't make it to a comic book store frequently.
I see. I’ll usually get trades for either runs I really enjoy, ones I missed from a couple years ago, or ongoing titles I’ve missed the first 10+ issues.

I absolutely love physical comics, the library feeling of collecting trades, HC’s, and Omnis feels so great lol. I do prefer the floppies of newer ongoing runs though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad