Comic Book Thread

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I've been getting more into Marvel comic books lately. Fairly new to this. Currently reading the Books of Doom, and this is probably my favorite series so far - right up there with the Infinity Gauntlet.

But, I know there is a much larger comic book world out there - a very large one.

So, I figured I would start a thread for people to discuss whatever comic books they want to. What you like, dislike, recommendations, etc.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
So the best cosmic marvel story of the 21st Century is Annihilation. Doesnt require a ton of background in Cosmic Marvel to enjoy - the tie ins are bundled with the main series now, and you get the vast majority of the big guns participating (Thanos, Galactus, Gladiator, Surfer, etc.).

It also features a pre-GotG Peter Quill, which is nice.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So the best cosmic marvel story of the 21st Century is Annihilation. Doesnt require a ton of background in Cosmic Marvel to enjoy - the tie ins are bundled with the main series now, and you get the vast majority of the big guns participating (Thanos, Galactus, Gladiator, Surfer, etc.).

It also features a pre-GotG Peter Quill, which is nice.

I remember you mentioning this. I’ll have to look into this after I finish the Books of Doom.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I've been getting more into Marvel comic books lately. Fairly new to this. Currently reading the Books of Doom, and this is probably my favorite series so far - right up there with the Infinity Gauntlet.

But, I know there is a much larger comic book world out there - a very large one.

So, I figured I would start a thread for people to discuss whatever comic books they want to. What you like, dislike, recommendations, etc.

I assume you know about Marvel Unlimited?

Marvel Unlimited | Comics | Marvel.com

Well worth the price.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I assume you know about Marvel Unlimited?

Marvel Unlimited | Comics | Marvel.com

Well worth the price.

Yup. I purchased that last month, actually. I am still trying to buy some hard copies, but they're so expensive. I'm looking at used ones to get, but yeah.. Marvel Unlimited feels like I'm stealing, honestly. It doesn't beat the hard copies, but it helps when I have a lot to catch up on.

Reactions: Jack Straw

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
42v6zdijy4v21.png

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
You should check out the Hellboy comics. They're the best comics I've ever read, and I'm only halfway through with them.

As for Marvel comics, I remember liking Ultimate Spider-Man when I was younger. House of M is a really good story thread. Daredevil has my favorite stories under the Marvel label. I'm a much bigger fan of DC when it comes to the actual comics, but I can acknowledge that Marvel has some good stories, too.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Old Man Logan was really good(both runs). I like Secret Empire a bit too.

If you start getting into DC stuff I really liked a lot of Snyder & Capullo’s New 52 Batman run. Doomsday Clock is an ongoing Watchmen/DC heroes crossover arc that’s really good too.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
You should check out the Hellboy comics. They're the best comics I've ever read, and I'm only halfway through with them.

As for Marvel comics, I remember liking Ultimate Spider-Man when I was younger. House of M is a really good story thread. Daredevil has my favorite stories under the Marvel label. I'm a much bigger fan of DC when it comes to the actual comics, but I can acknowledge that Marvel has some good stories, too.
I never got super into Hellboy. Liked it but wasn't on my pull list generally.

A GREAT DC story was the Sinestro Corps War. I loved that story.

Ultimate Spider-man was good but I have huge issues with how Bendis makes his artists lay out his pages. Seems like a nitpick, but like every other page is an unnecessary splash page so it ends up being kind of hard to read.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
I never got super into Hellboy. Liked it but wasn't on my pull list generally.

A GREAT DC story was the Sinestro Corps War. I loved that story.

Ultimate Spider-man was good but I have huge issues with how Bendis makes his artists lay out his pages. Seems like a nitpick, but like every other page is an unnecessary splash page so it ends up being kind of hard to read.
I can understand that. I only recently got into Hellboy, and I've been reading comics for over a decade. It took me a while to come around to Mignola's art style, but now that I'm used to it, it's really appealing. Same with the monster stories - instead of the super high stakes of superhero comics, most of Hellboy's adventures are discovering, examining, and potentially exterminating smaller threats.

Sinestro Corps War was good. Blackest Night was also good, in my opinion. The Court of Owls Batman storyline was phenomenal and it changed Batman's lore for the better. The Jeph Loeb & Time Sale collabs on Batman and Superman are some of my all-time favorites. The DC Black Label stuff has been amazing so far (Batman: White Knight & the first few issues of Batman: Damned). I think Superman: Year One is gonna be great when it releases.

I can't really remember how Ultimate Spider-Man is laid out, to be honest. I read it over a decade ago, and it was pretty early on in my introduction to comics. I can understand the nitpick, though. I much prefer a classic paneling style that allows for easier reading access.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
I can understand that. I only recently got into Hellboy, and I've been reading comics for over a decade. It took me a while to come around to Mignola's art style, but now that I'm used to it, it's really appealing. Same with the monster stories - instead of the super high stakes of superhero comics, most of Hellboy's adventures are discovering, examining, and potentially exterminating smaller threats.

Sinestro Corps War was good. Blackest Night was also good, in my opinion. The Court of Owls Batman storyline was phenomenal and it changed Batman's lore for the better. The Jeph Loeb & Time Sale collabs on Batman and Superman are some of my all-time favorites. The DC Black Label stuff has been amazing so far (Batman: White Knight & the first few issues of Batman: Damned). I think Superman: Year One is gonna be great when it releases.

I can't really remember how Ultimate Spider-Man is laid out, to be honest. I read it over a decade ago, and it was pretty early on in my introduction to comics. I can understand the nitpick, though. I much prefer a classic paneling style that allows for easier reading access.
Yeah I've always had an affinity with the spandex and world-saving, which Hellboy and BPRD kind of touch on, but it's not an issue with the book, just doesn't like... quite do it for me.

I cannot do f***ing Jeph Loeb. I have hated all but like... three stories he's written.

If you haven't, check out Cosmic Ghost Rider. It's sooooooooooo f***ing good. Also I have Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History #1, but I haven't been able to tackle it yet.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
Just got into reading Comic books last year. Got Marvels Darth Vader comic (Vader, Shadows and secrets, sho-torun war and end of games) for christmas and so it began.
Image Comics
Saga vol 1-9
Sex Criminals 1-5
Paper Girls 1-3
Marvel
Daredevil (Born Again and The Man Without Fear)
Wolverine (first solo book, Enemy of the State and all Old Man Logan)
X-Men: God loves man kills
Defenders (Diamonds are forever and Kingpins of NY)
GOTG (Cosmic Avengers)
Star Wars (the above mentioned, Thrawn, Vader Down, Dark Lords of the Sith1-4, Aarons SW 1-3)
Spider-Men
Dark Horse
Black Hammer 1-2
Sin City 1
Hellboy 1 Seed of Destruction
Watchmen
Batman (Snyder's new52 1-5, The Killing Joke)

However, I honestly never finished Watchmen. Also tried The Wicked and the Divine from Image but it never stuck with me. I'll order a couple of new ones in the coming days but haven't yet decided which ones to go for. Hellboy omnibus 2 is for certain then probably a couple of batman comics, some spider-man, x-men, venom etc. Any suggestions would be welcome to add to my ever growing list of books to read.
If you've never heard of Black Hammer, i really recommend to check it out!

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Yeah I've always had an affinity with the spandex and world-saving, which Hellboy and BPRD kind of touch on, but it's not an issue with the book, just doesn't like... quite do it for me.

I cannot do ****ing Jeph Loeb. I have hated all but like... three stories he's written.

If you haven't, check out Cosmic Ghost Rider. It's sooooooooooo ****ing good. Also I have Cosmic Ghost Rider Destroys Marvel History #1, but I haven't been able to tackle it yet.
Makes sense. The cosmic stuff in both Marvel and DC don't really do it for me unless they go full balls-to-the-wall crazy ridiculous. Except for Green Lantern. For some reason I love the lore behind Green Lantern and his villains.

Why no Jeph Loeb? His and Tim Sale's limited Batman run was great. I actually wasn't a Superman fan until I read Superman for All Seasons. Now I read a lot of Superman.

I'll add Cosmic Ghost Rider to my list. I looked into it a bit and it looks like it does go balls-to-the-wall ridiculous, which is what makes the cosmic stories enjoyable to me. Plus I love Frank Castle. The Punisher MAX books made me a huge fan of the character.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Makes sense. The cosmic stuff in both Marvel and DC don't really do it for me unless they go full balls-to-the-wall crazy ridiculous. Except for Green Lantern. For some reason I love the lore behind Green Lantern and his villains.

Why no Jeph Loeb? His and Tim Sale's limited Batman run was great. I actually wasn't a Superman fan until I read Superman for All Seasons. Now I read a lot of Superman.

I'll add Cosmic Ghost Rider to my list. I looked into it a bit and it looks like it does go balls-to-the-wall ridiculous, which is what makes the cosmic stories enjoyable to me. Plus I love Frank Castle. The Punisher MAX books made me a huge fan of the character.
Jeph Loeb destroyed the Ultimate Universe with his awful Ultimates 3 + Ultimatum. Just... just bad. When you long for the subtlety of Mark f***ing Millar, there's a problem.

Superman for all seasons is like... fine? Long Halloween is... okay? Hush was shit. Daredevil: Yellow was not good. Don't get me started on the Red Hulk.

He's been writing for 30 years so there's bound to be a *few* good stories just by accident. But man the bad far outweighs the good with him.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Recent one i just read was Irredeemable.

Written by Mark Waid (Guy who wrote Kingdom Come).

It's a story of a SuperMan-ish type character who goes completely psychotic and murders millions. And his old Super-Group is on the run trying to not get waxed by basically a god. They're on the run, and also trying to figure out how the hell this happened.

The entire series is 37 issues, and it's absolutely amazing.
250px-Irredeemable_Cassaday_cover_art.jpg

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Recent one i just read was Irredeemable.

Written by Mark Waid (Guy who wrote Kingdom Come).

It's a story of a SuperMan-ish type character who goes completely psychotic and murders millions. And his old Super-Group is on the run trying to not get waxed by basically a god. They're on the run, and also trying to figure out how the hell this happened.

The entire series is 37 issues, and it's absolutely amazing.
250px-Irredeemable_Cassaday_cover_art.jpg
Invincible runs a similar plot (Robert Kirkman of Walking Dead was the writer). Basically Superman was supposed to conquer but instead fell in love, and his half human son ends up finding out.

It's... okay? Kirkman isn't my favorite and doesn't do subtlety too well, but it wasn't bad.

Perfect_Drug

Mar 24, 2006
Montreal
Here's a list of my personal all-time Favorites:
(These are all series that have begun, and ended)

1) The Sandman
220px-Sandman_Preludes_and_Nocturnes.jpg

The best comic of all time, by my favorite writer of all time.

2) Kingdom Come
latest

10 years after Superman quits, the world goes to shit.

3) Y: The Last Man
51KQa0B4%2BDL._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Every man on the planet earth inexplicably dies.

4) Superman: The Red Son
250px-Supermanredson.jpg

If Superman landed in Russia instead of Kansas, how would that shape the world? (Geopolitics, communism wins the Cold war etc..).

5) Old Man Logan:
cmx-cu-sash-lg.png%7C0,0,361,537%20208,384,152,152_QL80_TTD_.jpg

6) Miracle Man:
898909.jpg

Alan Moore and Neil Gaiman at their best. (This comic was out of print for over 20 years ensuing a massive lawsuit between all owners and parties involved and Todd McFarlane).

I'm not sure how well these have aged, but maybe I love them for the nostalgia:
7) Batman The Dark Knight Returns, and Year 1
250px-Dark_knight_returns.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Frank Miller at his best. But Christopher Nolan took the best parts of these, and intertwined them into his films.

Alan Moore:
Watchmen
Supreme: The Story Of the Year (Alan Moore's rejected Superman Stories, re-appropriated for Supreme).
From Hell
Batman: The Killing Joke
V for Vendetta
Swamp Thing

Miscellaneous others:
Marvels
Maus
Sin City
X-Men Days of Future Past
Irredeemable / Incorruptable

Preacher was good, but too long and I couldn't finish it.
Walking Dead started out amazing, but just never ending.

Few other lists:
The Comic Books You Need To Read Before You Die
100 Greatest Comic Books and Graphic Novels — When It Was Cool - Retro Pop Culture, Comics, Pro Wrestling, Toys, TV, Movies, and Podcasts
70 Best Comic Books Of All Times 2019

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Anyone read the 2018 fantastic four? My local comic book store has a good deal on that series, including #6-9, which contain doom. Considering I’ll be finishing up the Books of Doom soon, I was curious if that was something I could read and be okay with.

This is one thing I REALLY struggle with for comic books still. I never know which series is okay to read and whether I need more information, or if that series will be fine without a ton more.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
This makes me wish I got into comic books earlier. I feel like I’m SO far behind.
For the most part, the companies have gotten better at providing entry points for new readers. It may not be origin stories, but you can generally pick up an arc and read it without background as long as you dont have a need to understand every single reference.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
For the most part, the companies have gotten better at providing entry points for new readers. It may not be origin stories, but you can generally pick up an arc and read it without background as long as you dont have a need to understand every single reference.

Makes sense. That's fine with me. I can Google other information to get some more background for the story beforehand. I just don't want to be completely lost.

Aside from Doom, another character I want to dive more into is Dr. Strange. I had zero interest in him until the movie came out, and now every time I see him in a comic, I am interested in reading more.

Have you read much Dr. Strange stuff? Any recommendations?

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Jeph Loeb destroyed the Ultimate Universe with his awful Ultimates 3 + Ultimatum. Just... just bad. When you long for the subtlety of Mark ****ing Millar, there's a problem.

Superman for all seasons is like... fine? Long Halloween is... okay? Hush was ****. Daredevil: Yellow was not good. Don't get me started on the Red Hulk.

He's been writing for 30 years so there's bound to be a *few* good stories just by accident. But man the bad far outweighs the good with him.
I never got too into the Ultimate universe past Spider-Man, so I wasn't aware Loeb was apparently the catalyst for that universe coming to an end. I definitely understand your frustration now.

I think the charm behind Superman for All Seasons and the Long Halloween trilogy is what really gets me. They use all aspects of each character's story, including their origins and their greatest foes, and condense it all into a graphic novel. It's pretty impressive, in my opinion. They were also some of my earliest graphic novels, so I might have some nostalgia for them. Can't comment on Red Hulk or Daredevil: Yellow, but I thought Hush had its moments. It's not consistently good, but it's not consistently bad, either. It also sets the stage for Red Hood to come into existence, and Under the Red Hood is a really solid Batman book.

As for your final statement, I guess I just haven't read enough of his material to really pass judgment on his writing ability. What I've read seems to be the equivalent of "Jeph Loeb's Best Of," which might be why I don't dislike him.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Makes sense. That's fine with me. I can Google other information to get some more background for the story beforehand. I just don't want to be completely lost.

Aside from Doom, another character I want to dive more into is Dr. Strange. I had zero interest in him until the movie came out, and now every time I see him in a comic, I am interested in reading more.

Have you read much Dr. Strange stuff? Any recommendations?
Honestly I haven't. Cant help with Strange.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Here's a list of my personal all-time Favorites:
(These are all series that have begun, and ended)

I'm not sure how well these have aged, but maybe I love them for the nostalgia:
7) Batman The Dark Knight Returns, and Year 1
250px-Dark_knight_returns.jpg
s-l300.jpg

Frank Miller at his best. But Christopher Nolan took the best parts of these, and intertwined them into his films.

I reread these recently for the first time in years and I think they definitely still hold up. 30+ years later and some of the panels are still just incredible.

batman-year-one-panel-600x565.jpg

dkrreal1.jpg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad