Comic Book Thread

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
It’s older but one of my favorite storylines and one I actually own was Sinestro Corp Wars.

Jones really made Green Lantern awesome, even if I still hate that Hal came back. It had me beyond excited for Blackest Night which I don’t think it matched the hype (though it was pretty good).

That and the spidey marriage reboot soured me on written comics and I stopped buying soon after.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
DCeased puts out another dope horror movie poster variant cover with issue #2

aHR0cDovL3d3dy5uZXdzYXJhbWEuY29tL2ltYWdlcy9pLzAwMC8yNTIvMTU0L2kwMi9EQ2Vhc2VkXzJfdmFyX1lhc21pbmVfUHV0cmkuanBn

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I'd like some recommendations for books/series (available on marvel unlimited) with around 6-12 issues. I'm currently reading Marvel 1602.

Some of these shorter ones that I've read and liked:
The Vision, Venom:First Host, Spider-Man Noir, Old Man Hawkeye, Books of Doom, Kraven's Last Hunt, Spider-Man: Blue

Looking for good stories that I can just pick up from issue 1 without knowing everything that's happened before. Could I for example pick up Black Bolt (Ahmed 17-18) without knowing anything about the charachter or the Inhumans?

Not sure if I already mentioned these before but they fit what you’re looking for- 2 separate series called “Agents of Atlas” and one just called “Atlas”. Really good, among my all time favorites.

Reactions: PepperKeenan

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Marvel Entertainment twitter has been teasing some Spider-Man comic book news the last few days, and they officially announced it today.

JJ Abrams and his son are going to be writing a Spider-Man comic.

It will go on sale in September.

spider-man-1-cover.jpg

Reactions: Juve

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
Really liking the current Uncanny Xmen runs and really excited for Powers of X and House of X.

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
So I just finished darkest night and up to year four of the injustice saga and I’m starting to believe that dc has the better comic stories by far

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
SMYEAR1_01_300-001_HD700_5d04218e4d9345.24484861.jpg

Superman is not a character that I find very compelling (though he’s more interesting in the comics compared to the films) but just read this book and I really liked the story and art.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So I’ve been trying to catch up on Donny Cates’ Guardians run, and I finally got them from my local comic book store. As usual with his work, I am a fan. Has to be my favorite writer that I’ve encountered so far.

Also been catching up on some of Slotts’ run on The Amazing Spider-Man. Have been enjoying that as well. And I just ordered a trade on amazon that’s a collection of Mysterio vs. Spider-Man in honor of Far From Home. Excited to start reading some of that.

That said, I want to start venturing into some DC stuff. Any recommendations? I’m not all that familiar with DC outside of the characters we’ve seen in movies.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
So I’ve been trying to catch up on Donny Cates’ Guardians run, and I finally got them from my local comic book store. As usual with his work, I am a fan. Has to be my favorite writer that I’ve encountered so far.

Also been catching up on some of Slotts’ run on The Amazing Spider-Man. Have been enjoying that as well. And I just ordered a trade on amazon that’s a collection of Mysterio vs. Spider-Man in honor of Far From Home. Excited to start reading some of that.

That said, I want to start venturing into some DC stuff. Any recommendations? I’m not all that familiar with DC outside of the characters we’ve seen in movies.

Interested in Batman at all? Or are you looking more for just DC non-movie character recommendations?

Last edited:

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So when I went to pick up some of the Guardian comics last week, I picked up a comic made by a local author just for the fun of it. Wow was that bad. Grammar is just ridiculously bad, and the story line... man. I feel bad and kept telling myself that this person isn't experienced, but even that couldn't get me through it.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I’d honestly probably prefer a character like Batman that I’d know better, at least to start.

These are just some of my favorites. Apologies if it's too many.

bat-year.jpg

Batman Year One- The origin story you probably already know, but it's definitely still worth the read. Great art that still holds up 30+ years later

qq4bwntorsoguux8nd8g

The Dark Knight Returns- A 55 year old Bruce Wayne comes out of retirement to resume the mantle of Batman. Frank Miller's best work IMO.

b01838b7-f790-407f-9c6d-3400d3f7a734_1.2c6e68c6c94bb559b4683ded6214b383.jpeg

Batman Hush- A new Batman villain arrives. This is story arc uses many of Batman's rogues gallery and uses them very well.

510KMKuqe0L._SX312_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Batman Court of Owls/City of Owls- The start of Snyder and Capullo's Batman run. The world's greatest detective must contend with a league of villains who have been operating in his city under his nose his whole life. Most of the New 52 Batman stories are amazing(especially Death of the Family). Personally my favorite way Batman has been drawn.

DIG030119_2._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Batman Arkham Asylum- A one off story of Batman navigating through Arkham Asylum. Incredible and unique art from Dave McKean.

51%2BH9oJdk2L._SX321_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Batman Knightfall- The bat gets broken. Bane's debut and it was a big one.

13933055_f520.jpg

Batman The Black Mirror- Nothing to do with the Netflix series. Dick Grayson takes the mantle of Batman.

741790.jpg

Batman The Killing Joke- A one shot story of the Joker's origin and his attempt to prove that he can make anyone go insane after one bad day. If you read this and like it do yourself a favor and skip the animated film.

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Recent one i just read was Irredeemable.

Written by Mark Waid (Guy who wrote Kingdom Come).

It's a story of a SuperMan-ish type character who goes completely psychotic and murders millions. And his old Super-Group is on the run trying to not get waxed by basically a god. They're on the run, and also trying to figure out how the hell this happened.

The entire series is 37 issues, and it's absolutely amazing.
250px-Irredeemable_Cassaday_cover_art.jpg

I bought and read them a few years ago. I absolutely love them! I recommend them to anyone. Mark Waid also wrote a spinoff called Incorruptible which is the villain version of Irredeemable. I have yet to read them. Mark Waid is a fantastic comic writer. He wrote Daredevil volume 3 and 4, they are also fantastic.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So I am currently reading Irredeemable. Through Vol. 1. I am enjoying this way more than I expected. I originally planned to just read all of this on my free trail of Comixology, but I may have to get some hard copies of some of these volumes. Trying to slow down my comic book spending with a wedding coming next month lol.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
61927396_127380065132133_193464404548139847_n.jpg

Supposed to be a 5 issue run. Issue 2 came out today. Tradd Moore's art for these issues has been incredible, best I think the Surfer has ever looked.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
61927396_127380065132133_193464404548139847_n.jpg

Supposed to be a 5 issue run. Issue 2 came out today. Tradd Moore's art for these issues has been incredible, best I think the Surfer has ever looked.

Went and picked up #2 just like half an hour ago. Excited to read it. Skimmed through quick and the art, as you mentioned, looks incredible.

Would also recommend to ready Cates' Guardians of the Galaxy, which is where this Silver Surfer run was created from. #7 on that run comes out next week.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Read #2 last night. Let me say this.. continuing off the first one, this is just very different. Don't even know how to describe it. Similar to the first time, the art is so crazy that it's kind of a distraction from the story the first time I read it. So, I enjoyed the storyline of it more on the second viewing.

Of the two Donny Cates' runs I am reading, I definitely like the Guardians story more as of right now. But, I kind of expect that, as I find them more interesting overall than the Surfer. But, the Surfer run is obviously meant to be about more than the story. Either way, I am enjoying them both.

I also randomly came across a recommendation on the new Loki run. It's gotten good reviews, so I went and picked it up today. Interested to see how I like that, as I haven't read much Loki stuff so far.

I also am still reading Irredeemable. Up to Vol. 6, I think. There are a few things I don't *love*, but I continue to like it very much. Maybe order the hard copies of the couple volumes.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
Not sure if I already mentioned these before but they fit what you’re looking for- 2 separate series called “Agents of Atlas” and one just called “Atlas”. Really good, among my all time favorites.
Thanks, I read Agents of Atlas around a week ago and really liked it, will check out the other as well.

Some other good ones that I've read or started reading lately have been Hawkeye (2012-2015 Fraction/Aja), I'll check out more Hawkeye comics so if anyone have any suggestions, just let me know!

Moon Knight 1-6 (2014) by Ellis was really cool, there's been a couple of other writers after that but I didn't enjoy the following issues as much after Ellis run so I'm undecided as of now if I'll continue that series. I also just started with Moon Knights #1 issue from 1980 to get origins of the charachter. Really like Moon Knight as a "hero", he's so bad ass, haven't really gotten into the different personalities though.

Immortal Iron Fist (Brubaker) I found it confusing to get into but I think I got the hang of it by now, still undecided if I'll continue reading it after #6. Anybody have any favorite Iron Fist/Heroes for Hire/Luke Cage runs to recommend?

Eternals (2006-2007 Gaiman) I thought it was good, Figured that with a movie coming it'd be cool to have read the comic before hand. I've thought about either reading the original Eternals or the volume that came after as well.

I've read some issues of Uncanny X-Force lately as well but I'm not super into it. Same with Inhumans,we'll see.

Went to the comic book store in Pike Place when I was in Seattle in june. Bought Kill or be Killed vol2-4, Monstress vol 1, Batman White Knight, Black Hammer vol3 and Sandman vol1. Haven't started reading any of them yet though. Looking forward to it but right now Marvel Unlimited is so convenient,that also the reason I don't really buy TPBs of marvel at the moment.

Reactions: Jack Straw

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I liked Batman White Knight. I thought it started off strong but tapered off a little bit near the end. Still liked it. It has a sequel series Curse of The White Knight that's first issue comes out on 7/24.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Thanks, I read Agents of Atlas around a week ago and really liked it, will check out the other as well.

Some other good ones that I've read or started reading lately have been Hawkeye (2012-2015 Fraction/Aja), I'll check out more Hawkeye comics so if anyone have any suggestions, just let me know!

Moon Knight 1-6 (2014) by Ellis was really cool, there's been a couple of other writers after that but I didn't enjoy the following issues as much after Ellis run so I'm undecided as of now if I'll continue that series. I also just started with Moon Knights #1 issue from 1980 to get origins of the charachter. Really like Moon Knight as a "hero", he's so bad ass, haven't really gotten into the different personalities though.

Immortal Iron Fist (Brubaker) I found it confusing to get into but I think I got the hang of it by now, still undecided if I'll continue reading it after #6. Anybody have any favorite Iron Fist/Heroes for Hire/Luke Cage runs to recommend?

Eternals (2006-2007 Gaiman) I thought it was good, Figured that with a movie coming it'd be cool to have read the comic before hand. I've thought about either reading the original Eternals or the volume that came after as well.

I've read some issues of Uncanny X-Force lately as well but I'm not super into it. Same with Inhumans,we'll see.

Went to the comic book store in Pike Place when I was in Seattle in june. Bought Kill or be Killed vol2-4, Monstress vol 1, Batman White Knight, Black Hammer vol3 and Sandman vol1. Haven't started reading any of them yet though. Looking forward to it but right now Marvel Unlimited is so convenient,that also the reason I don't really buy TPBs of marvel at the moment.

I just started reading some of the recent Moon Knight stuff, really interesting character. I’ll probably go back and read the early stuff soon.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: