Will be grabbing House of X #1 today

771684._sx1280_ql80_ttd_.jpg

As well as Donny Cates' Guardians of the Galaxy #7
clean.jpg

Reactions: The Macho Man

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
I read Dr Strange: The Oath and Strange/DOOM: Triumph and Torment this week. Really liked both of them and will look into Dr. Strange more than I've before. Never really interrested me until now.

I also read the first chapter/issue of Monstress and loved it!

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
House of #2 came out today.

If you have any interest at all in the X-Men, I highly recommend checking out this new Hickman run.

So far it’s House of X #1, Powers of X #1, and House of X #2, in that order.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So this week I had 3 books on my pull list.. Loki #2 was solid and I'm enjoying that as just a fun little story to read.

I didn't have enough time to read Powers of x #2 yet, but I have been enjoying all of that stuff so far.

The other one I have had more interest in is the Silver Surfer: Black run by Cates. This week was issue #3.

background.jpg

This story has been interesting. The art on this is just insane. Never seen anything like it in my fairly short time reading comic books. The image above gives you an idea of what it's like. Anyway, the story has been kind of hit or miss. Some things I love; some things I haven't loved. Not my favorite Cates' story so far, but definitely worth a shot if you're interested. Also may just be worth it for the art alone, but the art could be hit or miss for some people as well. I like how issue #3 ended and I'm excited for where the final 2 issues are headed. Hope it finishes strong.

missingmika

Dec 9, 2006
House of #2 came out today.

If you have any interest at all in the X-Men, I highly recommend checking out this new Hickman run.

So far it’s House of X #1, Powers of X #1, and House of X #2, in that order.

House and Powers are awesome. The Uncanny Xmen 22 series before to lead in were great. Age of Xman was so-so. Mr. And Mrs. X was great.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The House/Powers of X storyline is finally starting to get more substance than story building, in typical Hickman fashion. Lots of build-up, but it's all been worth it so far. Loved Powers of X #3 this week. Up there with my favorite books so far. I haven't even gone deep into X-Men comic book stuff, but I am thoroughly enjoying this.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Have to once again say that Hickman's House/Powers of X series is a must-read. Absolutely a must-read if you have any interest at all in the X-Men. It has been fantastic, with House of X #4 this week being probably my favorite issue of all.

house-of-x-4-cover.jpg

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Marvel Entertainment twitter has been teasing some Spider-Man comic book news the last few days, and they officially announced it today.

JJ Abrams and his son are going to be writing a Spider-Man comic.

It will go on sale in September.

spider-man-1-cover.jpg

Forgot about it until I was reminded, but this came out today, and I was able to pick it up.

It’s not going to be in the regular marvel timeline, but it was actually quite fun to read! Very interested to see where they go with this.

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
I read Dr Strange: The Oath and Strange/DOOM: Triumph and Torment this week. Really liked both of them and will look into Dr. Strange more than I've before. Never really interrested me until now. I also read the first chapter/issue of Monstress and loved it!
Congrats on Triumph and Torment. It's one of the best books I've read in half a century. I thought it was out of print, but no. I have the original HC.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I also have to once again plug Silver Surfer Black and, of course, the current X-Men run. I've never really gotten into the X-Men that much yet, but this run makes me want to keep reading moving forward - and look back on some other things. I'm loving Magneto & Xavier, Apocalypse is badass, and there are other things I'm loving that I don't want to spoil quite yet.

Anyone else reading this run? I need someone to talk to about this!!!

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I also have to once again plug Silver Surfer Black and, of course, the current X-Men run. I've never really gotten into the X-Men that much yet, but this run makes me want to keep reading moving forward - and look back on some other things. I'm loving Magneto & Xavier, Apocalypse is badass, and there are other things I'm loving that I don't want to spoil quite yet.

Anyone else reading this run? I need someone to talk to about this!!!

I bought House of X #1 just haven’t opened it yet. I’ve always had a hard time getting into X-men comics even though I do really like the characters.

I really liked JJ Abrams Spider-man #1 despite its awful cover.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I bought House of X #1 just haven’t opened it yet. I’ve always had a hard time getting into X-men comics even though I do really like the characters.

I really liked JJ Abrams Spider-man #1 despite its awful cover.

I struggled to get into them as well, but this has done it for me. Now, be aware, in classic Hickman style, there is a lot of exposition throughout this. You have to stick with it, and I think it really starts to pay-off. Maybe it won't be for you, but I'm all about it.

As for Spider-Man, I actually got a variant cover. It's freaking awesome. A die-cut cover. But yeah, I really loved what they did with the story in the first issue.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I struggled to get into them as well, but this has done it for me. Now, be aware, in classic Hickman style, there is a lot of exposition throughout this. You have to stick with it, and I think it really starts to pay-off. Maybe it won't be for you, but I'm all about it.

As for Spider-Man, I actually got a variant cover. It's freaking awesome. A die-cut cover. But yeah, I really loved what they did with the story in the first issue.

Seems petty and minor, but I almost did not purchase the issue until I saw a variant at my comic shop. This one actually.

JUL190840_500.jpg

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So, a few notes on some comics I've read lately...

-House of X / Powers of X finished up this week. Thought it was fantastic work from Hickman, and I can't wait to see what he has coming next. I'm definitely going to keep following. One of my favorite series to read.

-I am a huge Donny Cates fan. Currently reading his Silver Surfer and Guardians runs. But, I saw him tweet that he'll be taking over Thor soon, so looks like I'll be paying attention to that eventually too.

-I picked up my first DC Black Label comic this week. 2 of them, actually - Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity & Harleen #1. Loving these so much. May start to check out other Black Label comics.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
So, a few notes on some comics I've read lately...

-House of X / Powers of X finished up this week. Thought it was fantastic work from Hickman, and I can't wait to see what he has coming next. I'm definitely going to keep following. One of my favorite series to read.

-I am a huge Donny Cates fan. Currently reading his Silver Surfer and Guardians runs. But, I saw him tweet that he'll be taking over Thor soon, so looks like I'll be paying attention to that eventually too.

-I picked up my first DC Black Label comic this week. 2 of them, actually - Joker/Harley: Criminal Sanity & Harleen #1. Loving these so much. May start to check out other Black Label comics.

Really liked Superman Year One #1. Haven’t opened #2 yet.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
As a big fan of the flash (literally have over 300 flash comics starting from 1959 to present) the current storyline by Josh Williamson has been very good and the artwork is fantastic.

also currently reading Batman. It’s ok but the dream sequence by King is getting a tad drawn on in my opinion. Be nice to see a new writer shake things up a bit.

and the idw ninja turtles has been fantastic as well.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
My local comic book shop had a Black Friday sale today, and I got a ton of one-shot Star Wars comics today. I've never read any Star Wars comics before, so I'm curious to see what I think of it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Picked up a lot of comics today. Really excited to read them, with the most anticipated being the Rise of Kylo Ren. It’s apparently really good and explains a lot. Should be a good read before seeing the movie tomorrow.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Can anyone recommend any good Star Wars comics? Preferably something that can be bought in trade paperbacks.

As for my Star Wars tastes, I’m in love with the original series, I think the prequels are pretty bad but the characters are interesting, The Mandalorian is great, but I despise the sequel trilogy and think everything about those movies is terrible (minus the character of Kylo Ren). I also loved the KOTOR games and Fallen Order.

McGhostbuster

Who ya gonna call?
Apr 30, 2007
Edmonton
Can anyone recommend any good Star Wars comics? Preferably something that can be bought in trade paperbacks.

As for my Star Wars tastes, I’m in love with the original series, I think the prequels are pretty bad but the characters are interesting, The Mandalorian is great, but I despise the sequel trilogy and think everything about those movies is terrible (minus the character of Kylo Ren). I also loved the KOTOR games and Fallen Order.

Star Wars (2015 comic book) - Wikipedia

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Elvis P

Revolution was a B side
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Can anyone recommend any good Star Wars comics? Preferably something that can be bought in trade paperbacks. As for my Star Wars tastes, I’m in love with the original series, I think the prequels are pretty bad but the characters are interesting, The Mandalorian is great, but I despise the sequel trilogy and think everything about those movies is terrible (minus the character of Kylo Ren). I also loved the KOTOR games and Fallen Order.
The best SW comics by far are the Dark Horse comics The Old Republic trades.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad