Comic Book Thread

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Happy Free Comic Book Day everyone! Unfortunately I am not able to get to a comic book store today, but I’ll make sure to read one in honor of it!

I have been reading the Hickman Fantastic Four run. Still at the beginning of it, but I have really enjoyed it so far, especially #570-572.

PepperKeenan

Sep 22, 2012
Sweden
I got Marvel Unlimited the other day, I have no idea why I didn't get it sooner. Been researching and adding lots of series to "my library". I'll get to read so much that I probably never would've gotten to chance to otherwise. So far I've read some issues of Scarlet Spider (Yost/Kaine), Books of Doom (thanks for the rec!), Maul son of Dathomir, Spider-Man: Blue.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I am reading Infamous Iron Man right now. It's.. uh.. interesting?

I can't say I hate it, but I can't say I love it either. I'm interested enough to keep reading, but it's one I'm glad I didn't order and am just reading on Marvel Unlimited. While I'm okay with it, I can see why it's not a loved series.

I am continuing to read the Hickman FF run as well, but I also ordered hard copies of Secret Wars (2015) and Doomwar. Got used copies of those entire series on Amazon for a good price, and I figured I'd like the hard copies of those.

Have obviously heard good things on Secret Wars, but has anyone had any experience with Doomwar? Doesn't seem to be a highly touted series, but has some solid reviews, so I figured I'd give it a shot.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I am reading Infamous Iron Man right now. It's.. uh.. interesting?

I can't say I hate it, but I can't say I love it either. I'm interested enough to keep reading, but it's one I'm glad I didn't order and am just reading on Marvel Unlimited. While I'm okay with it, I can see why it's not a loved series.

I am continuing to read the Hickman FF run as well, but I also ordered hard copies of Secret Wars (2015) and Doomwar. Got used copies of those entire series on Amazon for a good price, and I figured I'd like the hard copies of those.

Have obviously heard good things on Secret Wars, but has anyone had any experience with Doomwar? Doesn't seem to be a highly touted series, but has some solid reviews, so I figured I'd give it a shot.
Infamous Iron Man will probably make more sense if you read Secret Wars first (I'm assuming 2015 SW, but 1984 SW is also a fun read). There are also a few comics between SW and Infamous (Civil War II I think? But skip that shit) that explains Doom's face turn better.

And I've never read Doomwar so I can't help you there.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Infamous Iron Man will probably make more sense if you read Secret Wars first (I'm assuming 2015 SW, but 1984 SW is also a fun read). There are also a few comics between SW and Infamous (Civil War II I think? But skip that ****) that explains Doom's face turn better.

And I've never read Doomwar so I can't help you there.

Yeah, Infamous Iron Man notes that these events follow SW and Civil War II, and they hint at things, so I can have a general idea of what happened. Feel like I have a decent enough understanding of what came before, that it all makes sense. But reading SW first probably would have been the best choice.

I would have read Secret Wars first, but here's what I did.. I read the first issue of Infamous IM, and I liked it enough that I wanted to keep reading, so I didn't want to wait for SW to come in the mail first. Haha. Maybe I will re-read this after reading SW.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Yeah, Infamous Iron Man notes that these events follow SW and Civil War II, and they hint at things, so I can have a general idea of what happened. Feel like I have a decent enough understanding of what came before, that it all makes sense. But reading SW first probably would have been the best choice.

I would have read Secret Wars first, but here's what I did.. I read the first issue of Infamous IM, and I liked it enough that I wanted to keep reading, so I didn't want to wait for SW to come in the mail first. Haha. Maybe I will re-read this after reading SW.
The only super-relevant thing is one thing that happens at the end of SW, but it's not a dealbreaker. It's not an overly complex story - it's kind of fun watching Doom be the hero with everyone freaking out about it.

I've been going through Donny Cates' Venom arc. I have always hated Venom, but apparently this is setting up to a huge crossover later this year, so I figured I'd get the background. It's pretty damn good - so far I've liked everything I've read by Cates.

I'm going to have to go into the way back machine now though. Marvel Unlimited has too many classic runs for me to focus so heavily on the shit that's still on the shelves.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
The only super-relevant thing is one thing that happens at the end of SW, but it's not a dealbreaker. It's not an overly complex story - it's kind of fun watching Doom be the hero with everyone freaking out about it.

I've been going through Donny Cates' Venom arc. I have always hated Venom, but apparently this is setting up to a huge crossover later this year, so I figured I'd get the background. It's pretty damn good - so far I've liked everything I've read by Cates.

I'm going to have to go into the way back machine now though. Marvel Unlimited has too many classic runs for me to focus so heavily on the **** that's still on the shelves.

Just finished Infamous Iron Man. I actually enjoyed that finish quite a bit. If I can find a good deal, I may get the harp copy of that series.

2 questions for you...

1-It looks like this story continues into Invincible Iron Man #583. Did you continue reading? If so, do you recommend?

2-Have you much on Mysterio? Any recommendations?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Just finished Infamous Iron Man. I actually enjoyed that finish quite a bit. If I can find a good deal, I may get the harp copy of that series.

2 questions for you...

1-It looks like this story continues into Invincible Iron Man #583. Did you continue reading? If so, do you recommend?

2-Have you much on Mysterio? Any recommendations?
I didn't. I didn't even finish Infamous.

I'm not much of a Spider-Man fan outside of Ultimate, so I can't help you there.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
Civil War 2 sucks. The worst use of Captain Marvel that I can remember.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Civil War 2 sucks. The worst use of Captain Marvel that I can remember.
I haven't read it but that does seem like a universal opinion. It was probably just a cash-in since it was around the same time as the movie.

Honestly, except for Secret Wars most of the Marvel crossovers in the 2010s have been kinda poo.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
If anyone is interested in Marvel Unlimited but doesn’t know if they want to pull the trigger, let me know.

I just opened my Spider-Man PS4 game and realized I have a code for a free month, but I already have an account, so I don’t need it. Pretty sure it’s valid through this year.

PM me for more deets.

EDIT: It has been claimed.

Last edited:

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
So I went back and read the 2016 Thanos run (18 issues).

The first 12 are... okay? Honestly, didn't like them too much. I don't know why I've been reading so many Thanos stories lately since I really don't have a lot of love for the character, but it's probably Endgame that had me on the kick. Anyway, wouldn't recommend 1-12 - they're just okay at most.

But 13-18, which is Thanos Wins...

Great story. Amazing story, actually. Probably the best Thanos story I've read (not counting Infinity Gauntlet or Thanos Imperative). Just very satisfying, lots of good action, introduces the Cosmic Ghost Rider and a badass Silver Surfer wielding Mjolnir...

Just all good.

Now I'm going back in time. I'm going to read a shit load of Spider-Man and Daredevil. Most of my Spider-Man reading has been Ultimate, so I may go back to Amazing Fantasy 15 and just truck right on through the greatest hits. Daredevil I'm a little more familiar with. I liked Brubaker's run, hated Smith's run, read a little bit of other stuff (Daredevil:Yellow and a little bit of the classic Miller run), but I'm going to read all of Miller's run at least.

Might also hit some classic cosmic Jim Starlin shit too to shake it up from the street-level.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I continued reading the Invincible Iron Man run after Infamous Iron Man. I am actually enjoying this quite a bit.

Doomwar got delivered today, so I will be able to start reading that hard copy tonight. Pretty excited.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
So I went back and read the 2016 Thanos run (18 issues).

The first 12 are... okay? Honestly, didn't like them too much. I don't know why I've been reading so many Thanos stories lately since I really don't have a lot of love for the character, but it's probably Endgame that had me on the kick. Anyway, wouldn't recommend 1-12 - they're just okay at most.

But 13-18, which is Thanos Wins...

Great story. Amazing story, actually. Probably the best Thanos story I've read (not counting Infinity Gauntlet or Thanos Imperative). Just very satisfying, lots of good action, introduces the Cosmic Ghost Rider and a badass Silver Surfer wielding Mjolnir...

Just all good.

Now I'm going back in time. I'm going to read a **** load of Spider-Man and Daredevil. Most of my Spider-Man reading has been Ultimate, so I may go back to Amazing Fantasy 15 and just truck right on through the greatest hits. Daredevil I'm a little more familiar with. I liked Brubaker's run, hated Smith's run, read a little bit of other stuff (Daredevil:Yellow and a little bit of the classic Miller run), but I'm going to read all of Miller's run at least.

Might also hit some classic cosmic Jim Starlin **** too to shake it up from the street-level.

So if I wanted to read Thanos Wins, are #1-12 necessary to read with it?

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Cool. Trying to decide if I am going to read it on Unlimited or order a hard copy.
It's really good + introduces Cosmic Ghost Rider, so I'd say hard copy. But don't get anything with 1-12. That was really a pretty crappy story. Thanos is just mostly *such* an uninteresting character unless written well (which Cates did when he took over in #13).

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
It's really good + introduces Cosmic Ghost Rider, so I'd say hard copy. But don't get anything with 1-12. That was really a pretty crappy story. Thanos is just mostly *such* an uninteresting character unless written well (which Cates did when he took over in #13).

Cool. I went ahead and ordered that Series on Amazon Prime for about $10. Thanks for the suggestion.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
@The Macho Man I had Secret Wars (2015) come in the mail today. I will probably start that next week, as I wanted to finish Doomwar first.

However.... what else should I read before starting Secret Wars, and what tie-ins would be good?

I have tried to Google this, and it seems to be all over the place. I don't really want to read every single issue leading into it or every tie-in, but I am interest in some of the more important / interesting ones. I know this is kind of a complicated question, but I was curious what your opinion is. I'm not sure how much reading outside the actual Secret Wars series is important or interesting.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
@The Macho Man I had Secret Wars (2015) come in the mail today. I will probably start that next week, as I wanted to finish Doomwar first.

However.... what else should I read before starting Secret Wars, and what tie-ins would be good?

I have tried to Google this, and it seems to be all over the place. I don't really want to read every single issue leading into it or every tie-in, but I am interest in some of the more important / interesting ones. I know this is kind of a complicated question, but I was curious what your opinion is. I'm not sure how much reading outside the actual Secret Wars series is important or interesting.
Hickman's runs on Avengers and New Avengers touch on it. Honestly it's the culmination of a pretty long series of stories (this shit was going on years before - before even Infinity).

I mean... look. The story isn't complicated, especially if you're familiar of the Secret Wars concept. The story isn't what I would call self contained because there are threads that go waaaaaaaay back, but it's also not something that's difficult to understand on its own.

I think the Infinity Gauntlet one was solid. I didn't read any of them other than that one. I mean... event tie-ins are normally really inconsistent anyway (outside of Annihilation - all of those were great).

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Hickman's runs on Avengers and New Avengers touch on it. Honestly it's the culmination of a pretty long series of stories (this **** was going on years before - before even Infinity).

I mean... look. The story isn't complicated, especially if you're familiar of the Secret Wars concept. The story isn't what I would call self contained because there are threads that go waaaaaaaay back, but it's also not something that's difficult to understand on its own.

Okay, that works for me then. I saw that his run touched on it, but I wasn't sure how much of it was important. If I can understand it on it's own, then I'll probably avoid most of that other stuff to avoid having too much to catch up on.

The Macho King

Jun 22, 2011
Okay, that works for me then. I saw that his run touched on it, but I wasn't sure how much of it was important. If I can understand it on it's own, then I'll probably avoid most of that other stuff to avoid having too much to catch up on.
The first issue (technically #0 I believe) does a more than adequate job of setting the stage.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad