Post-Game Talk: Comeback falls short Jets lose 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
For the sake of the readers here, I believe that it was the Japanese that bombed Pear Harbour, causing them to escalate World War 2. It was at this point that President Truman, decided to drop 2 atomic bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Japan surrendered fast, which ended the war.

I'm fairly sure on this, however if I'm wrong, I would invite any poster to correct me, as I'm going by memory reading on this subject.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
For the sake of the readers here, I believe that it was the Japanese that bombed Pear Harbour, causing them to escalate World War 2. It was at this point that President Truman, decided to drop 2 atomic bombs on the Japanese cities of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. Japan surrendered fast, which ended the war.

I'm fairly sure on this, however if I'm wrong, I would invite any poster to correct me, as I'm going by memory reading on this subject.
You definitely have the time-line wrong. Pearl Harbor: 1941, Hiroshima/Nagasaki: 1945. A lot of WWII in between.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
You definitely have the time-line wrong. Pearl Harbor: 1941, Hiroshima/Nagasaki: 1945. A lot of WWII in between.
I did not say in my post when President Truman planned the date he would bomb Japan, and you are "very right" - it was in 1945. This was actually 4 years after the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour. It was this bombing of PH that set in motion plans to bomb Japan, and end the war. Thanks for your clarification here.

R Zardo

Oct 4, 2022

Double Checked - yes, on December 7/ 1941, the Japanese bombed Pearl Harbour, setting off many consequences. Their imminent demise.
come on, really? Is there anyone that doesn't know Japan bombed pearl Harbor. I thought the ehlers is as important as morrissey was silly, but this..

Reactions: Huffer

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
come on, really? Is there anyone that doesn't know Japan bombed pearl Harbor. I thought the ehlers is as important as morrissey was silly, but this..
I do wonder about that ? after reading some posts, however I have to believe these posts were made in jest. You should be right, that "everyone" should know that, and likely were just being sarcastic, and having a little fun. :laugh:

Oh, bye the Way - Ehlers is critically important to the Jets offensive attack, and it's harder to replace a prolific goal scorer than a defenseman in my opinion. If I could choose, who I'd rather have out of the lineup in these playoffs, it would be Morrissey over Ehlers, as we need goal scoring, and speed up front. We can get by with a defensive, stay at home defenseman. I can see you don't agree, and that's fine by me, as that's what this forum is all about. Various opinions, and "all" should be respected.

Should add - Both are fantastic players.

Last edited:

Potrzebie

Mar 25, 2010
I do wonder about that ? after reading some posts, however I have to believe these posts were made in jest. You should be right, that "everyone" should know that, and likely were just being sarcastic, and having a little fun. :laugh:

Oh, bye the Way - Ehlers is critically important to the Jets offensive attack, and it's harder to replace a prolific goal scorer than a defenseman in my opinion. If I could choose, who I'd rather have out of the lineup in these playoffs, it would be Morrissey over Ehlers, as we need goal scoring, and speed up front. We can get by with a defensive, stay at home defenseman. I can see you don't agree, and that's fine by me, as that's what this forum is all about. Various opinions, and "all" should be respected.

Should add - Both are fantastic players.
I myself would prefer Josh over Morrisey

Reactions: Dirtbag151 and GNP

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think you are indirectly addressing the real issue, and I don't think it is the officiating. PLD's penalty in double OT is 10/10 a penalty and this forum would be full on pitchfork mode if it happened to our team and nothing was called. This team cannot afford to be undisciplined. Play hard, but our team has a better chance if someone like PLD isn't in the penalty box for 3mins 57sec of overtime
It was absolutely a penalty but framing it as undisciplined isn't fair. He was defending in a dangerous spot and sometimes, your stick inadvertently trips up another player. If he crosschecked him or went knee on knee I'd agree.

As for the whole Ehlers Morrissey debate, there is exactly one player for the Jets that's irreplaceable and that's Hellebuyck.

37 has to be much better if we are going to win this series - full stop.

Before people @ me about Helle, I said before the playoffs started that is we were to be successful in the playoffs, we need Vezina level Hellebuyck. We're not getting that.

He's allowed 5 goals in the last 2 games and is .894. Game one he was hardly challenged.

He's not the whole reason we're down 2-1 but it's hard to imagine we wouldn't have won yesterday if he didn't let the first 2 shots in.

Mark my words - if we get .920 Hellebuyck back we win the series, regardless of whether Morrissey is it or Ehlers comes back.

Pionk was unbelievable. He played every second shift and was basically the reason we came back. He's incredibly physical for a smaller guy. Every defenseman makes mistakes, but he was a irreplaceable.

Morrissey wasn't 100% at the end of the season. He probably aggravated his existing injury.

PLD is not skating well and has to be better. 55 is not fully engaged yet.

If we can roll 4 lines and play a team game like much of the series, and Helle plays like he can. We can win for sure.

I'm assuming Capobianco gets the call?
It's so crazy. Pionk struggled mightily in the first couple of games but as soon as he was 'the guy' he became a little beast and became the defences leader. He and Lowry were amazing.

Thinking of Capobiancos mental fortitude, I can see him seizing this opportunity and playing extremely well. I hope we get him instead of Stanley

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I think SN showed the clip of Morrissey's last shift rather than where he actually got injured. The descriptions I heard were that someone got him knee on knee, and he took one more short shift after. But I haven't seen anything - I missed seeing it live (it may not have even been on camera). I'd love to hear if anyone actually saw it.
It was Whitecloud knee on knee but really innocently (they came together and the initial point of contact was the knee straight on, no leg extension).

I was hoping it was just a knee bruise but seeing his knee bend back the wrong way and him being out, it think it's at least a low grade ligament tear. I thought it might be meniscus, but today they can repair that arthiscropically really quickly and he'd likely only miss a game or two.

I'm not a doctor, just a guy who's had acl/mcl injuries in both knees and a meniscus tear.

Crocket

Jul 14, 2013
It was absolutely a penalty but framing it as undisciplined isn't fair. He was defending in a dangerous spot and sometimes, your stick inadvertently trips up another player. If he crosschecked him or went knee on knee I'd agree.

As for the whole Ehlers Morrissey debate, there is exactly one player for the Jets that's irreplaceable and that's Hellebuyck.

Before people @ me about Helle, I said before the playoffs started that is we were to be successful in the playoffs, we need Vezina level Hellebuyck. We're not getting that.

He's allowed 5 goals in the last 2 games and is .894. Game one he was hardly challenged.

He's not the whole reason we're down 2-1 but it's hard to imagine we wouldn't have won yesterday if he didn't let the first 2 shots in.

Mark my words - if we get .920 Hellebuyck back we win the series, regardless of whether Morrissey is it or Ehlers comes back.

It's so crazy. Pionk struggled mightily in the first couple of games but as soon as he was 'the guy' he became a little beast and became the defences leader. He and Lowry were amazing.

Thinking of Capobiancos mental fortitude, I can see him seizing this opportunity and playing extremely well. I hope we get him instead of Stanley
He was good in game 1. Ok in game 2. He plays tough minutes and guys run him every chance they get. He's a tough little guy. He's prone to mistakes but he also gets the puck to the net and makes small plays sometimes that go unnoticed.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011

Dubois' penalty at the end of the 3rd wasn't undisciplined; it was probably necessary to save a late winner there.

The one at the start of 2nd OT was undisciplined though, he threw his leg out when it was clear he was going to miss Stone and tripped him.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Dubois' penalty at the end of the 3rd wasn't undisciplined; it was probably necessary to save a late winner there.

The one at the start of 2nd OT was undisciplined though, he threw his leg out when it was clear he was going to miss Stone and tripped him.
Yes i want all the Jets to take Dubois's penalty at the end of the 3rd, that one definitely stopped Stone from trying to score. The one at the start of the second was a stupid penalty to take. I want Dubois playing tough like that but he has to be smart about it.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
Yes i want all the Jets to take Dubois's penalty at the end of the 3rd, that one definitely stopped Stone from trying to score. The one at the start of the second was a stupid penalty to take. I want Dubois playing tough like that but he has to be smart about it.
This is always the challenge with playing a beast style game. If you try to avoid penalties too much you can neuter that style of play.

Dubois for sure can get better at avoiding taking those sorts of penalties, but you can say that about 70% of players league wide. In yesterdays game for instance Namestnikov took the exact same penalty.

rymr66

Jun 6, 2011
winnipeg

I really hope we get Stanley. 77 isn't good enough defensively, even on his best day, to play in the playoffs. Stanley has been up and down, but before he got injured, early in the season, he was starting to show something. (his last game, anyway.) I like his size for the playoffs, especially with the physicality Fack Vegas has been playing with. I think he has the potential to make a positive difference in this post season. I don't see 77 being able to do that, especially with his poor defensive play. Plus, Stanley has the motivation to show not only our team, but the rest of the NHL, that he can be a starting defenseman who can make a difference.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
I really hope we get Stanley. 77 isn't good enough defensively, even on his best day, to play in the playoffs. Stanley has been up and down, but before he got injured, early in the season, he was starting to show something. (his last game, anyway.) I like his size for the playoffs, especially with the physicality Fack Vegas has been playing with. I think he has the potential to make a positive difference in this post season. I don't see 77 being able to do that, especially with his poor defensive play. Plus, Stanley has the motivation to show not only our team, but the rest of the NHL, that he can be a starting defenseman who can make a difference.
I wholeheartedly disagree.

If the Jets are going to continue to push the game forward against the Knights, they need an agile defenseman with offensive acumen. We need guys who can make quick reads and react with intention, and I've seen a lot of that from Capo. I'm not seeing this defensive weakness in his game you are.

Stanley is too slow, and he's going to take penalties as a result of him getting walked. IF a guy like Demelo went down I would suggest Stan simply because of his PK but you need to try and replace Morrissey's offensive blueline work with a player who has that skillset.

Capobianco manages the offensive blueline very well, knows when to jump down. Stanley is not good at the offensive blueline, and has to be very careful when he activates down the wall as he simply does not have the speed or agility to recover if the puck gets turned over.

Flyby

Sponsor
Jan 6, 2022

If the Jets are going to continue to push the game forward against the Knights, they need an agile defenseman with offensive acumen. We need guys who can make quick reads and react with intention, and I've seen a lot of that from Capo. I'm not seeing this defensive weakness in his game you are.

Stanley is too slow, and he's going to take penalties as a result of him getting walked. IF a guy like Demelo went down I would suggest Stan simply because of his PK but you need to try and replace Morrissey's offensive blueline work with a player who has that skillset.

Capobianco manages the offensive blueline very well, knows when to jump down. Stanley is not good at the offensive blueline, and has to be very careful when he activates down the wall as he simply does not have the speed or agility to recover if the puck gets turned over.
If we need a mobile defenceman who can transition the puck and quarterback the pp, why don’t we bring Heinola up? He’s more skilled than the other two and provides a lot of what we lose by not having Morrisey.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
If we need a mobile defenceman who can transition the puck and quarterback the pp, why don’t we bring Heinola up? He’s more skilled than the other two and provides a lot of what we lose by not having Morrisey.
Whilst I wouldn't be upset if the org decided to do this I don't think he is the best option because:

He is weaker defensively than both Stanley and Capobianco
He has not demonstrated the offensive capabilites he was drafted for at the NHL level yet
It could be very damaging for Ville to bring him up in this scenario
I can't imagine the org would have Capobianco on the bench the entire year and then look past him in the exact scenario they acquired him for. It would be a bad look for the team and a real slap in the face to Capobianco. Capobianco has done absolutely everything expected of him. He's sat in the PB the entire year, not moped around but been a great teammate. When he's gotten a chance he has played extremely well, I can only count a period or two when I didn't think he fit in as an NHL defenseman which is more than I can say about even Stanley or Samberg.

To this point, all of Heinola's promise has been exactly that - promise. Outside a couple of really brief flashes there has been more disappointment with him. The argument that maybe the org. should have just bit the bullet and played him instead of going out and getting Schmidt, or Dillon, or Capo might be valid, but that is irrelevant right now as you definitely don't want someone learning on the job in game 4 of the Stanley Cup playoffs.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

As some other posters have said maybe we play 7 defenseman and dress both Capo and Stanley. Might be better than playing Gus , just haven't seen much I've liked about Gus's game.

Jet

Free Capo!
Jul 20, 2004
Florida
As some other posters have said maybe we play 7 defenseman and dress both Capo and Stanley. Might be better than playing Gus , just haven't seen much I've liked about Gus's game.
That might be a good plan. I think both Maenalanen and Gus played with a lot more physical fortitude in yesterdays game, but I don't think the team would necessarily miss either of them.

Maybe we go crazy and dress Capo and Stan, and bring in AJF. He can be a sparkplug and I think he's more versatile than 8 or 19 at this point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad