Post-Game Talk: Comeback falls short Jets lose 5-4

Status
Not open for further replies.

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It was absolutely a penalty but framing it as undisciplined isn't fair. He was defending in a dangerous spot and sometimes, your stick inadvertently trips up another player. If he crosschecked him or went knee on knee I'd agree.

As for the whole Ehlers Morrissey debate, there is exactly one player for the Jets that's irreplaceable and that's Hellebuyck.

37 has to be much better if we are going to win this series - full stop.

Before people @ me about Helle, I said before the playoffs started that is we were to be successful in the playoffs, we need Vezina level Hellebuyck. We're not getting that.

He's allowed 5 goals in the last 2 games and is .894. Game one he was hardly challenged.

He's not the whole reason we're down 2-1 but it's hard to imagine we wouldn't have won yesterday if he didn't let the first 2 shots in.

Mark my words - if we get .920 Hellebuyck back we win the series, regardless of whether Morrissey is it or Ehlers comes back.

It's so crazy. Pionk struggled mightily in the first couple of games but as soon as he was 'the guy' he became a little beast and became the defences leader. He and Lowry were amazing.

Thinking of Capobiancos mental fortitude, I can see him seizing this opportunity and playing extremely well. I hope we get him instead of Stanley
I have to strongly agree with Jet here, and I think usually Helle would have had those first 2 shots he let in. He hasn't yet proven to be a big playoff performer, and we need him to step up, and have a .920 save percentage. Right now, as you say, we're not getting a Vezina type Helle, and if he can't step it up, I think we lose this series. I believe this happened with Helle against Vegas in the last playoffs, where Mark Andre Fleury outgoalied him by quite a margin.

I too would like to see Capo in, as I like his shot from the point, and he can score, and is OK defensively. I think he's a lot quicker than Stanley, and that's where Capo beats him, as Logan is not really fleet of foot and gets caught. I'm all for Capo in. If we needed toughness and were playing the Wild, I may put Stanley in, if I were Coach. Either is OK, but personally I much prefer Capo.

In an ideal world, if we could get a .920 Helle, and have Ehlers in for the next game, and Capo replace Morrissey, I like our chances.

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
I do wonder about that ? after reading some posts, however I have to believe these posts were made in jest. You should be right, that "everyone" should know that, and likely were just being sarcastic, and having a little fun. :laugh:

Oh, bye the Way - Ehlers is critically important to the Jets offensive attack, and it's harder to replace a prolific goal scorer than a defenseman in my opinion. If I could choose, who I'd rather have out of the lineup in these playoffs, it would be Morrissey over Ehlers, as we need goal scoring, and speed up front. We can get by with a defensive, stay at home defenseman. I can see you don't agree, and that's fine by me, as that's what this forum is all about. Various opinions, and "all" should be respected.

Should add - Both are fantastic players.
But Morrissey is both our best defensive defenseman while being a catalyst to the offence. He’s our best player not named Hellebuyck. Ehlers is a good player, top 6 quality for sure but basically gets 7th or 8th usage. He doesn’t have anywhere near the impact to our team that Josh does. I want them all in (Perfetti too). But if you ranked a list of most important players Josh is number 2.

I thought Pionk had a really good game. He doesn’t need to wait for Josh to get hurt to do that.
I’d take Capo over Stanley but I’m not sure the coaches would agree.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
But Morrissey is both our best defensive defenseman while being a catalyst to the offence. He’s our best player not named Hellebuyck. Ehlers is a good player, top 6 quality for sure but basically gets 7th or 8th usage. He doesn’t have anywhere near the impact to our team that Josh does. I want them all in (Perfetti too). But if you ranked a list of most important players Josh is number 2.

I thought Pionk had a really good game. He doesn’t need to wait for Josh to get hurt to do that.
I’d take Capo over Stanley but I’m not sure the coaches would agree.
I guess Josh is technically # 2 by the numbers, likely behind Helle. I just think for 4-5 years Ehlers was continually "mismanaged" by our sub (-) .500 Coach in Maurice that was not using him properly. It took Bowness awhile to see his talent, and put Ehlers on the point on Power Play # 1, to replace Wheeler.( about time) I was calling for Ehlers to be on Power Play # 1, on the point, for 2-3 years on here. He has a hard accurate slapper, and can rush the net, and can lead a rush, and control play in the offensive zone.

I can't disagree with you that Josh is # 2, and ahead of Ehlers in a lot of peoples minds, and by the stats. I just think Ehlers is a 90- 100 point player if he could stay healthy, and given the same minutes that Morrissey gets. Maybe we will see that in the near future. I think we will.

Anyways, I can't disagree with what you say, as production numbers speak for themselves, however I think Ehlers has been a waste of talent, and mismanaged by the Jets hockey club. Just my opinion. We really do need Ehlers speed and shot, and O zone entries, playing a fast team like Vegas, and I would think his value here would at least equal, and or exceed that of Josh, but I'm not trying to get you to agree, as you stated your case, and I full well respect that, as you make great posts.

BTW - I'm not going to get into any debates with other posters on this matter, as I've stated my case, and my opinion stands, for my thinking on this matter. Everyone sees the game differently.

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I'd prefer Capo over Stan..Just because you know Stans gonna try and play that tough guy roll over playing the role we need..Hes just to slow and his decision making is'nt the greatest either
Capo has more upside I think
I generally agree with your post, but if we were playing the Wild, who like to goon it up, and intimidate our talent players ( like they do) - I think I'd play Stanley, and let him pound some of those Wild guys. He's a big hitter, and also a very tough guy, that doesn't back down. I think the Wild will knock off the Stars using this intimidation type play, same sort of way the Flyers did in the 1980's. Teams were scared to play them, and their intimidation game won them Stanley Cups. You can't have teams beating up and injuring your talent guys. You gotta stand up to these types of teams -- fight fire with fire. Stanley would be ideal vs the Wild.

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
It was absolutely a penalty but framing it as undisciplined isn't fair. He was defending in a dangerous spot and sometimes, your stick inadvertently trips up another player. If he crosschecked him or went knee on knee I'd agree.

As for the whole Ehlers Morrissey debate, there is exactly one player for the Jets that's irreplaceable and that's Hellebuyck.

37 has to be much better if we are going to win this series - full stop.

Before people @ me about Helle, I said before the playoffs started that is we were to be successful in the playoffs, we need Vezina level Hellebuyck. We're not getting that.

He's allowed 5 goals in the last 2 games and is .894. Game one he was hardly challenged.

He's not the whole reason we're down 2-1 but it's hard to imagine we wouldn't have won yesterday if he didn't let the first 2 shots in.

Mark my words - if we get .920 Hellebuyck back we win the series, regardless of whether Morrissey is it or Ehlers comes back.

It's so crazy. Pionk struggled mightily in the first couple of games but as soon as he was 'the guy' he became a little beast and became the defences leader. He and Lowry were amazing.

Thinking of Capobiancos mental fortitude, I can see him seizing this opportunity and playing extremely well. I hope we get him instead of Stanley
I agree re: Helle

I love Helle and he is one of the leagues best, but right now he’s not at his best; LB is out goalie-ing us and goaltending wins in the playoffs

Reactions: GNP and Orrrules

roccerfeller

jets bromantic
Sep 27, 2009
British Columbia
Yes i want all the Jets to take Dubois's penalty at the end of the 3rd, that one definitely stopped Stone from trying to score. The one at the start of the second was a stupid penalty to take. I want Dubois playing tough like that but he has to be smart about it.
I wonder how much of that is double OT brain fart effect

PLD has otherwise been really good

puck stoppa

Jul 5, 2011
Winnipeg
I was at the game. Still recovering from it. What a ride. I feel so bad for Samberg I had one of those moments many years ago in OT for a Championship and you just want to die after
Yup what a game to be at, fun night. Entertainment at its finest. Jets gave it their all, the Ds are certainly deserving of some credit. Mistakes happen, they got all breaks, bounces etc. We will win game two.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Well your in luck, you might just get to see both next game, Bowness said today they might go with 7 dmen.
that suggests to me that he sees it as a tough decision and that Ehlers won't be back.

edit: after listening to his morning presser; I think Bones is going with 6 D and he knows who is guy is. (there still could be an ailing d-man though who might not be ready)

Last edited:

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I was at the game. Still recovering from it. What a ride. I feel so bad for Samberg I had one of those moments many years ago in OT for a Championship and you just want to die after

I was there too and haven't posted on here yet about the game. The experience was unbelievable. I'd put it up against any whiteout from the 80's and 90's. I thought that it might be similar to the Ellett overtime game in '85 (?).

I am just exhausted today.

I also thought it was notable that concessions were open in OT. I was mildly surprised. They must have sold 50,000 $10 beers last night.

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
I think i'd prefer Capo to Stan and might feel differently if we were playing the Wild. But I think we've had the physical edge in the series and the fourth line has done a good job of getting the crowd cranked with some big hits. Think Gus even threw one. On the road, I might prefer to see AJF and his speed back in the lineup, but at home, the hitters rule. On that note, if Nikolaj returns for game 5 and they ease him back, playing him with Stenlund and AJF could be a very useful 3B line.

Reactions: GNP

rymr66

Jun 6, 2011
winnipeg
If we need a mobile defenceman who can transition the puck and quarterback the pp, why don’t we bring Heinola up? He’s more skilled than the other two and provides a lot of what we lose by not having Morrisey.
I agree with this. I just don't think 77 plays a strong enough defensive game to be put in there. I would rather see Heinola or Stanley, than 77.

jungles

Sponsor
Jun 8, 2011
My wish for tomorrow is for the wingers to play faster. Specifically Appleton and Connor. Too many times we gain the zone and either slow up or turn back up the boards. Vegas was giving us (especially Appleton) a few feet of space where if he takes that with speed and rips a shot, anything can happen. Stop letting them breathe.

Reactions: Jets 31

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
Just listened to the Samberg Pionk post game interviews and found the repeat questioning to Samberg on the give away embarrassing.

3 reporters ask the exact same question, how does it feel screwing up? 3 times he gives them the exact same answer.

Then they go to Pionk with multiple regular questions about the game.

Then Murat goes back to Samberg with another how does it feel to screwup question. Samberg again gives a similar answer.

Seriously Murat, could you not have asked him a regular question about the game? What else are you expecting him to say that hadn’t been said in his previous 3 answers to similar questions?

The last question was to Pionk asking his thoughts on the whiteout.

Seeing Samberg sitting there in the dumps, only being asked one question over and over, could that last question not have been asked to him, so he could answer one question not about his screwup?

Felt bad for the kid.

Last edited:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Just listened to the Samberg Pionk post game interviews and found the repeat questioning to Samberg on the give away embarrassing.

3 reporters ask the exact same question, how does it feel screwing up? 3 times he gives them the exact same answer.

Then they go to Pionk with multiple regular questions about the game.

Then Murat goes back to Samberg with another how does it feel to screwup question. Samberg again gives a similar answer.

Seriously Murat, could you not have asked him a regular question about the game? What else are you expecting him to say that hadn’t been said in his previous 3 answers to similar questions?

The last question was to Pionk asking his thoughts on the whiteout.

Seeing Samberg sitting there in the dumps, only being asked one question over and over, could that last question not have been asked to him, so he could answer one question not about his screwup?

Felt bad for the kid.
Maybe they could have asked him how he and the other 4 defenseman played so good, especially over 4 plus periods of hockey. How tired are they? Stuff like that. Stupid reporting i totally agree.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
That would have been amazing to complete the comeback and win it in OT. I was at the game against Nashville when we came back down 3 to win and it was amazing. To win in OT would have been even better.

Props to the team to come back, and especially the 5D who played a ton of extra minutes with JoMo out the entire game.

Down JoMo, Ehlers, and Perfetti, it's a huge uphill battle. Game 4 will be huge.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad