Confirmed with Link: Columbus to host Detroit on 03/01/25 at Ohio Stadium in NHL Stadium Series Game

Monk

Feb 5, 2008
I have talked with my buddy/season ticket seat partner and we’ve sort of decided that, if this ever happens, we’ll probably decide to go just to have done it, depending on how much it’s gonna cost. Less about seeing the game and more about just having been there. Neither of us has been to one before.

This is why I will go with my dad.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
This is why I will go with my dad.
You're lucky.

Indy is a dome.
Cleveland never has a playoff game.
Cincinnati Reds stadium. Whatever its called now.
Columbus soccer stadium? How many does it seat?
You can only get, maybe, a maximum of 21,000 in Lower.com Field.
Reds stadium is Great American Ballpark.
First two are true statements. LOL

• Haha
Reactions: Michigan Magic

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

You want to pair the NHL game with a UM v. OSU game in the venue the day before or something, great. But just applying a collegiate rivalry to a professional sports event is f***ing stupid.

So are fans supposed to cheer for or against Adam Fantilli? Zach Werenski? Kent Johnson? Keep your goddam college sports rivalry out of this.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus

Makes too much sense not to do this like this, especially with the number of Wolverines in the Columbus organization and the history of the rivalry between OSU and Michigan (which I say as someone who could not give less of a shit about OSU). Let's say this happens in 2025... That's Z, KJ, Fantilli, Brindley by then, and probably still Blanks. I just hope they'd geo-limit like the Preds do so the whole stadium isn't a sea of Wings fans.

Reactions: CBJx614

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
You want to pair the NHL game with a UM v. OSU game in the venue the day before or something, great. But just applying a collegiate rivalry to a professional sports event is f***ing stupid.

So are fans supposed to cheer for or against Adam Fantilli? Zach Werenski? Kent Johnson? Keep your goddam college sports rivalry out of this.
I think you're looking at it wrong, it's trying to get OSU fans to actually care about the Jackets. I don't think any jackets fans are going to root against our players, it's simply trying to create some national attention, something the Jackets need(the problem is will CBJ show up on a national stage)

I'll never get the animosity towards CBJ/OSU relationship. OSU is the dominant entity in Columbus and the Jackets will always play second fiddle until either OSU drops out of relevance or the CBJ become yearly cup contenders.

CBJ and OSU should be working together as much as possible IMO. Having both games on the same day would be amazing marketing.

Reactions: Viqsi and 18136

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
Why do I feel like this is coming around because the CBJ appears to be a dumpster fire yet again and fan support is on life support? The new Arizona Coyotes! Timing just seems too late to really be something unique any more.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
It can still be pretty damned cold in march. Not sure what that solves. Any given day January through march could be 10 or 50 based on when they schedule them.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
I think a Michigan-OSU "feel" for this game makes a lot of sense and would be really cool.

However, given the extreme connection between the CBJ and Michigan hockey I really hope they don't trot our guys out there in Scarlett and Grey CBJ jerseys of some sort, because that would be really weird and I am sure our Michigan players wouldn't be thrilled with doing it. As would any Buckeye being forced to wear Michigan gear, I know I wouldn't.

So if that's the way they do things, I hope they come up with some "original" jerseys for both us and Detroit that don't really feature OSU or Michigan. It can be a "The Rivalry" type feel to it without literally trying to copy it.

Would be a fun event, I hope it happens.

NotWendell

Has also never won the lottery.
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
I'd like the women's hockey teams for both schools playing on that ice too. Kind of like to see Cleveland vs Grand Rapids as well.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
I'd like the women's hockey teams for both schools playing on that ice too. Kind of like to see Cleveland vs Grand Rapids as well.

Guess which state does not have D1 women’s hockey. St. Louis has D1 women’s hockey (Lindenwood) but there is no D1 women’s hockey in Michigan.

Michigan Magic

Nov 3, 2023
Hattiesburg
I think a Michigan-OSU "feel" for this game makes a lot of sense and would be really cool.

However, given the extreme connection between the CBJ and Michigan hockey I really hope they don't trot our guys out there in Scarlett and Grey CBJ jerseys of some sort, because that would be really weird and I am sure our Michigan players wouldn't be thrilled with doing it. As would any Buckeye being forced to wear Michigan gear, I know I wouldn't.

So if that's the way they do things, I hope they come up with some "original" jerseys for both us and Detroit that don't really feature OSU or Michigan. It can be a "The Rivalry" type feel to it without literally trying to copy it.

Would be a fun event, I hope it happens.
Since we have the Michigan players, I hope that means the Wings have to wear OSU colors. The look on their fans faces would be priceless.

Toe Pick

Jun 13, 2011
Columbus, OH
Michigan doesn’t have a D1 women’s team which is bullshit considering there are five (Caesars, Belle Tire, Bigby, Fox Motors, Honeybaked) AAA girls programs in Michigan alone.

For reference Ohio has only two AAA girls programs (Cleveland Barons and Ohio Blue Jackets) and have a D1 program.

Reactions: koteka

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Michigan doesn’t have a D1 women’s team which is bullshit considering there are five (Caesars, Belle Tire, Bigby, Fox Motors, Honeybaked) AAA girls programs in Michigan alone.

For reference Ohio has only two AAA girls programs (Cleveland Barons and Ohio Blue Jackets) and have a D1 program.

I know plenty of local girls that were pissed when they found out that fact. How can Michigan not have D1 women’s hockey? I have also been told that UM does not treat their womens club hockey team very well.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I know plenty of local girls that were pissed when they found out that fact. How can Michigan not have D1 women’s hockey? I have also been told that UM does not treat their womens club hockey team very well.
Does any school treat any club hockey team very well? It’s club hockey for a reason, mostly financial support.

Ohio U might be sort of an exception due to their cult following but they still don’t have the facilities or financial support of varsity sports.

I’d also be a proponent of letting OU and Adrian College play an ACHA game during that weekend if it happened.

koteka

Jan 1, 2017
Central Ohio
Does any school treat any club hockey team very well? It’s club hockey for a reason, mostly financial support.

Actually yes. I have friends with kids that are playing or want to play club hockey. Some schools fully fund their teams and players dont have to pay anything and the schools give their teams ice time at reasonable hours and really nice locker rooms and weight rooms. At other schools kids pay for everything and the university pretty much is unaware there is a club hockey team. It is interesting. There are some club hockey teams where kids are treated much better than other D3 hockey teams. Part of it has to do with alumni support.

Formerly 18,136
Jun 24, 2012
Michigan/Ohio state rivalry okay. Have OSU vs Michigan also have a game, fine.

But ugh don't make the whole thing OSU themed...
Don't quite understand this take since, if it happened, it would be on campus. Kind of hard to not to lean into the history of the place you would be playing.

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Friedman is reporting the Blackhawks are likely getting an outdoor game next year......that brutal team getting another outdoor game because of their kid Bedard.

And here we sit, and wait.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Friedman is reporting the Blackhawks are likely getting an outdoor game next year......that brutal team getting another outdoor game because of their kid Bedard.

And here we sit, and wait.
Outdoor game doesn’t necessarily mean winter classic (and same thing for us)

I still think it Happens at Ohio stadium within the next 2 years

Reactions: Jackets Woodchuck

CBJ goalie

May 19, 2005
London, Ontario
Random article (from Canadian media) with an interesting opinion;

4. The Seattle Kraken received an outdoor game before the franchise was two-and-a-half seasons old. The Vegas Golden Knights got two in their first seven years of existence.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have been around for 24 years and have yet to play on an outdoor rink. They’re overdue.

The Jackets have been lobbying for one of these big-splash events — which are major marketing and economic boons locally — and the NHL is looking long and hard at Ohio Stadium, home of the football Buckeyes, as a potential venue.

Capacity of that venue: 102,780.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad