Columbus fans booing Panarin

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
Fans are mad at the wrong person.

Panarin and Bob both told them they weren’t re-signing and instead of getting major assets for them, they went all-in and sold the farm for a year that was never going to be their year.
I'm sure the fans and the owners would have loved another "we'll get them in the future" speech by their GM after hearing that for their whole existence.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
I don’t get it. Panarin didn’t get drafted by Columbus, he didn’t chose to sign with Columbus either. He doesn’t owe the city or the fans anything and he still handled it really well I think. He was upfront from day 1 that he was probably gonna hit free agency and he’s well within his right to do so. It’s not his fault his GM decided to hang on to him to win a playoff round instead of recouping assets....

There’s a reason why you got him so cheap in Columbus. He was a huge flight risk and wanted to get paid. If you want to boo someone, boo the gm that knew there was very little chance of him signing long term with the Jackets BEFORE he made the deal.
Of cource you can boo him. Panarin basically said that Columbus is a shit city and I want to go to a real one. It was not about the money, organization or the team, but the glamour of playing for New York. And that is a slap in the face for Columbus fans. Insult to your city. And Panarin has every right to do that, and Columbus fans have every right to feel offended by it.

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
Of cource you can boo him. Panarin basically said that Columbus is a **** city and I want to go to a real one. It was not about the money, organization or the team, but the glamour of playing for New York. And that is a slap in the face for Columbus fans. Insult to your city. And Panarin has every right to do that, and Columbus fans have every right to feel offended by it.
He did not say that.

If your really that offended that a single man in his 20s (and a millionaire) would rather live in one of the greatest city’s on the planet than f***ing Ohio if given a choice, I don’t know what to tell you. I’m in my 20s and single and would much rather live in NYC than my hometown too. I’d wager a large amount of that demographic feels the same way.

another overlooked thing - he had never lived out of his home country until he was 23. If you were playing hockey overseas and weren’t completely fluent in the language, would you want to play in a smaller city or the biggest one in the country that has the largest population of immigrants from your country?

Last edited:

ForumNamePending

Mar 31, 2012
Panarin was booed every time he touched the puck last night. People buy tickets and can express their feelings any way they want. And their feelings were hurt. The fact that Panarin is having an amazing season doesn't help.

But Panarin did nothing wrong. He wasn't drafted by Columbus, didn't chose to play there, got traded by Stan Bowman after signing a team-friendly deal, was a great player for them, and was honest. I get booing the guy a little the first game back. But this was not a good look, IMO.

Sports fandom is often not the most rational of things. Blue Jacket fans really aren't acting any different than just about any other fan base, of any other team, in any other sport, when presented with a similar situation (Islander fans with Tavares, Raptors fans with a multiple players over the years, etc). In the grand scheme of things, getting relentlessly booed a couple of times a year is actually working out pretty well for Panarin. The fact that so many people care enough about sports (or a specific team) to take things like a player leaving so personally is a big reason why he can make $11+ million/year.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
He did not say that.

If your really that offended that a single man in his 20s (and a millionaire) would rather live in one of the greatest city’s on the planet than ****ing Ohio if given a choice, I don’t know what to tell you. I’m in my 20s and single and would much rather live in NYC than my hometown too. I’d wager a large amount of that demographic feels the same way.

another overlooked thing - he had never lived out of his home country until he was 23. If you were playing hockey overseas and weren’t completely fluent in the language, would you want to play in a smaller city or the biggest one in the country that has the largest population of immigrants from your country?
You totally misanderstood my post. We are talking basically about the same thing here. Sure, Panarin didn't say Columbus is shit and NYC is great. But he was offered more money in Columbus and the organization of Columbus is in better shape. So he made the choice purely because he (and his girlfriend) wanted the big city life. And to be honest, I probably would too.

And I didn't say it was wrong what Panarin did, but if I were a guy living in Columbus I sure as damn would feel offended. "Our city is not good enough for you?"

Reactions: Viqsi

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
You totally misanderstood my post. We are talking basically about the same thing here. Sure, Panarin didn't say Columbus is **** and NYC is great. But he was offered more money in Columbus and the organization of Columbus is in better shape. So he made the choice purely because he (and his girlfriend) wanted the big city life. And to be honest, I probably would too.

And I didn't say it was wrong what Panarin did, but if I were a guy living in Columbus I sure as damn would feel offended. "Our city is not good enough for you?"

But that’s what I’m saying then. If he made a decision you would have made in his shoes, why boo him? He doesn’t owe Columbus anything as he didn’t get drafted there or choose to be there. I’m just saying Columbus fans are directing their anger at the wrong person as he was upfront from the start. You know you wouldn’t have been on board with booing him if he was traded at the deadline last year. The only reason he’s getting booed is a decision his GM made. That doesn’t seem fair.

Kevin Hayes chose to live in New York over a better playing situation (at the time) in Chicago and I don’t hate him one bit for exercising his right. I think Columbus fans are more on edge about it because they’re probably used to people shitting on the city and feel like it’s a slight when really it’s just him preferring to live elsewhere (as he’s not even close to the only athlete choosing a team based on location). I don’t think a lot of people would sign an 8 year guaranteed contract to live in a place they’re not completely comfortable.

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
But that’s what I’m saying then. If he made a decision you would have made in his shoes, why boo him? He doesn’t owe Columbus anything as he didn’t get drafted there or choose to be there. I’m just saying Columbus fans are directing their anger at the wrong person as he was upfront from the start. You know you wouldn’t have been on board with booing him if he was traded at the deadline last year. The only reason he’s getting booed is a decision his GM made. That doesn’t seem fair.

Kevin Hayes chose to live in New York over a better playing situation (at the time) in Chicago and I don’t hate him one bit for exercising his right. I think Columbus fans are more on edge about it because they’re probably used to people ****ting on the city and feel like it’s a slight when really it’s just him preferring to live elsewhere (as he’s not even close to the only athlete choosing a team based on location). I don’t think a lot of people would sign an 8 year guaranteed contract to live in a place they’re not completely comfortable.
I said it as if I was in Panarins shoes. If I'm a fan of Columbus I sure as hell boo him because turning down a potential franchise and a bigger salary basically is basically saying you city is not good enough. And I would feel insulted. I mean, these things don't need to make any sense.

Panarin doesn't own Columbus anything, that wasn't the point. It's basically him saying I like New York more than Columbus, and people from Columbus can and should feel upset about it and they have every right to express themselves (just don't take it to the European level).

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I don’t get it. Panarin didn’t get drafted by Columbus, he didn’t chose to sign with Columbus either. He doesn’t owe the city or the fans anything and he still handled it really well I think. He was upfront from day 1 that he was probably gonna hit free agency and he’s well within his right to do so. It’s not his fault his GM decided to hang on to him to win a playoff round instead of recouping assets. It’s funny cause I bet if he got traded at the deadline he would have gotten a huge applause and maybe a tribute. Crazy how someone else’s decision is Panarins fault.

There’s a reason why you got him so cheap in Columbus. He was a huge flight risk and wanted to get paid. If you want to boo someone, boo the gm that knew there was very little chance of him signing long term with the Jackets BEFORE he made the deal.
Columbus doesn't need "assets" they need (and had) a gamebreaking PPG forward.

It makes sense to be resentful when looking at what the team could have been if Panarin had chosen to stay.

It's one thing if the team repeatedly doesn't make the playoffs a la NYI and Tavares, but Columbus did.

It's another thing if the team doesn't open the purse strings a la Ottawa and Karlsson, but Columbus did.

This isn't the NBA. When a team wins, the player gets along well with teammates, and the team offers max money, that player is supposed to stay.

So yeah, he is going to get booed.

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
But Panarin did nothing wrong. He wasn't drafted by Columbus, didn't chose to play there, got traded by Stan Bowman after signing a team-friendly deal, was a great player for them, and was honest. I get booing the guy a little the first game back. But this was not a good look, IMO.

I don't think you'll meet a CBJ fan who says he did anything wrong. He was a UFA and had the right to choose where to play. The fans have a right to boo, he spurned the team and didn't want to play here anymore despite the organization and fans doing everything they could to get him to stay. Being mad is pretty reasonable. It's not like people were giving him the bird, threatening him on social media, or some dumb shit like that. It's booing. I'm sure Panarin's feelings were real hurt.

His booing is still nothing close to what Rick Nash got, and what Jeff Carter gets.

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Fans are stupid. If a 4th liner goes someone else then no one cares but apparently talented players don't own that right. Panarin didn't owe anything to the Blue Jackets.

Yes. I'm sure a 4th liner leaving and Panarin leaving would have had equal impact on the franchises fortunes this year and into the future. You've got to be kidding me with this example.

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
Why do you care what fans of other teams do during a game?

From an outside fan’s perspective, Jarmo went out and loaded up on rentals to make a playoff push, the BJs swept the best team in the NHL in the playoffs, and Panarin still walked despite things looking very good in Columbus. The BJs could be comfortably in a playoff spot this year if Panarin had stayed. He chose to go to another rebuilding team instead of staying on a playoff contender. That would suck to see as a Columbus fan.

I don’t blame Panarin for exercising his rights as an UFA. What I do blame Panarin for is going to NYC over Denver, though. NYC sucks.

Reactions: a mangy Meowth

CBJWerenski8

Jun 13, 2009
Fans are mad at the wrong person.

Panarin and Bob both told them they weren’t re-signing and instead of getting major assets for them, they went all-in and sold the farm for a year that was never going to be their year.

boo your GM not the players. It’s not like the Tavares situation where he drug the Islanders on and toyed with them. They gave their intentions outright.

Panarin toyed with the CBJ as well. He just had the courtesy of giving a heads up he was leaving.

Also trading a mid-late first round pick, two B prospects, and two second round picks is hardly the farm. Only Abramov was a top 5 prospect, and even he was massive boom-bust potential.

Reactions: Viqsi

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
I heard a few boos the other night in Toronto towards Kessel when Arizona was in town.
Fans aren't always the sharpest spoons.
That only happened late in the 3rd period when the game was tied 2-2, because prior to that Kessel was not hearing any boos and he should take it as a compliment since we know how good he was. Plus earlier in that 3rd period Kessel was given a penalty and it ignited the crowd when they realized it was him.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Yes. I'm sure a 4th liner leaving and Panarin leaving would have had equal impact on the franchises fortunes this year and into the future. You've got to be kidding me with this example.
Not sure what you're getting at. They're doing the same thing, only difference is that fans are fine with 4th liners going to test the market, but when a star does it they're labeled as traitors by some clowns. It was stupid when the Islanders fans did it and any Columbus fan being angry at Panarin is equally dumb.

Rangers79

Aug 10, 2012
New Jersey
As long as you aren't booing your own team I say boo all ya want. It's entertainment, good to give yourself a villain on the other team

Reactions: cslebn

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
It's understandable, he never wanted to be on the team. He still tried for them and made it really obvious that he wouldn't re-sign. Nothing else he could do but it's tough to swallow that kind of honesty if you're the fanbase.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
It’s common and happens.

A bad look was the leafs booing Kessel. He signed 8 years here was our best player and was traded. No reason to of booed him
What about after Kessel scored against Toronto during their 81st game in the 2017 season when they needed to win and make the playoffs that night. Were Leafs fans wrong in that moment to boo him?

Nordique

Add smoked meat, and we have a deal.
Aug 11, 2005
Ohio
He never stopped playing hard despite his dislike for the midwest. I respect him, but others boo him. Its a free world.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Of cource you can boo him. Panarin basically said that Columbus is a **** city and I want to go to a real one. It was not about the money, organization or the team, but the glamour of playing for New York. And that is a slap in the face for Columbus fans. Insult to your city. And Panarin has every right to do that, and Columbus fans have every right to feel offended by it.

Can we stop that "they hev a right to do this" nonsense??? OF COURSE they have a right, nobody's gonna put them in jail for this.

And we have a right to tell how f***ing riddiculous and classless is this to bash mercenary player with ZERO ties to Columbus who left them to play for his favourite team...

Reactions: moukku

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad