Columbus fans booing Panarin

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Fans- "Trade this guy because a) he sucks b) we want someone better and c) we don't like his contract.

Also fans- "Why don't players show any loyalty?"

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Do you think he actually cares? If anything, players love to get booed by the opposing fans.
He had nothing but great things to say about Columbus and the team (how much he learned under Tortorella). So it had to burn a little. But he'll get over it.

SoCalFan

Jun 21, 2014
McKinney, TX
since when is being a fan rational? I get where Columbus is coming from and I'm good with it.

I still can't stand Kevin Hayes for spurning the Hawks, while he had every right to do it. so what?
granted, I don't boo him out loud, but in my head I'm all over that shit.

gorangers0525

Dec 15, 2014
The vast majority of Ranger fans, including myself, would be beyond upset if Panarin left NY on similar terms. I don't blame Colombus at all.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
What loyalty did he owe you? Did you draft and develop the player? Took care of his aging grandparents while he left for the new country? You did nothing. You traded for an asset. He owed loyalty to Chicago. Which he showed by signing a very team-friendly deal. He owed loyalty to Patrick Kane, who obviously helped him a lot. He showed that in spades as well.

I'm an Oiler fan, he doesnt owe me anything. He doesnt owe the columbus fans anything either, as he clearly showed by exercising his right to go somewhere else.

What you dont seem to understand is that the columbus fans don't owe him anything either, it's a two way street. You think that just because the player is justified in moving on, that the fans should get over it and dont have a right to boo. This thread comes across as entitlement - panarin is allowed to leave and you have to be nice to him.

Not sure what all this you stuff is about. I'm not a GM. If that's your stance, then fans have absolutely no right to do anything because they dont have managerial stake in the NHL. By your logic, those fans booing shouldnt bother you, you have no right to complaina but it, he didnt take care of your grandparents. He didnt leave your team in free agency. You weren't in the arena when he came back... etc, etc... weak argument all around. The team drafts players, not us. So none of us have a right to complain when a player we draft leaves?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
What was Columbus supposed to do for his return? Offer him free Vodka for life?

Booing a former player who left by choice seems like a pretty natural reaction. Especially when the team Panarin left was a good one.
Whether he was a lifetime Jacket or a guy who was traded there in the end doesn’t matter to fans.

he chose to leave which is his right and it’s their right to boo him if they wish.

Tavares was a lifetime Islander and they booed him upon his return.

Has Trouba returned to Winnipeg yet? I assume he would get a similar treatment.

Same with Buff should he ever return to Winnipeg as a member opposition

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm just wondering when the "you look bad/have no right to boo/whatever" crowd finally owns up and admits that they think he doesn't deserve to be booed because they think he was right to leave us since they think our city sucks, and that we should just shut up and quietly accept second-class nobody status.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
What you dont seem to understand is that the columbus fans don't owe him anything either, it's a two way street. You think that just because the player is justified in moving on, that the fans should get over it and dont have a right to boo. This thread comes across as entitlement - panarin is allowed to leave and you have to be nice to him.
Of course they are allowed to boo. And they did, first game back. Second game, they booed like crazy - every time he touched the puck. Are they mad at his numbers in NY? They can do whatever they want. It just looks stupid.

ScaredStreit

May 5, 2006
Tampa, FL
Said the same thing with Tavares...EVERY fanbase does this. This isn't even limited to the NHL. It's normal and a part of being a fan.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
The right to do something =/= the right thing to do.
Doesn't make it the wrong thing to do either. I wasn't part of the booing crowd, but I understand completely - the guy basically blew off our city. That's not something that's going to be placidly accepted, nor should it be. It's not like he got booed during a tribute video or something.

Iapyi

Apr 19, 2017
Canadian Prairies
I heard a few boos the other night in Toronto towards Kessel when Arizona was in town.
Fans aren't always the sharpest spoons.

First of all he completely would have deserved it after the crap he pulled in dragging the team down into the darkness with him. He was a poopy player who happened to skate fast and have a good shot.

The negativity he helped to create within the team was ridiculous, I'm talking about things like being the last on the ice and the first off, floating on line changes [which to me is absolutely deplorable], the overall disrespect he showed towards the sport in general and the team in particular.

As it is I think the fans were laughing in glee towards him as they recognize what type of player he is and the style of game which he brings, 3 teams have disposed of him already.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005
Doesn't make it the wrong thing to do either. I wasn't part of the booing crowd, but I understand completely - the guy basically blew off our city. That's not something that's going to be placidly accepted, nor should it be. It's not like he got booed during a tribute video or something.

Why not? CBJ fans have no problem placidly accepting or outright cheering for Gustav Nyquist who basically blew off another city. So clearly, they have no moral or ethical qualms about that. If you have zero problem with a player making a choice to join your team at the expense of abandoning another, then you have no ethical problem with free agency in general. I get that fans of any team can be petty and hypocritical. I don't understand why one would think that they "should" be that way.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Why not? CBJ fans have no problem placidly accepting or outright cheering for Gustav Nyquist who basically blew off another city.
So in your eyes Gustav Nyquist is just as effective and vital and contributing a player as Artemi Panarin. Gotcha.

Odd, though, that San Jose didn't offer to make him the second-most paid player in the League in a bid to keep him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad