Columbus fans booing Panarin

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Panarin was booed every time he touched the puck last night. People buy tickets and can express their feelings any way they want. And their feelings were hurt. The fact that Panarin is having an amazing season doesn't help.

But Panarin did nothing wrong. He wasn't drafted by Columbus, didn't chose to play there, got traded by Stan Bowman after signing a team-friendly deal, was a great player for them, and was honest. I get booing the guy a little the first game back. But this was not a good look, IMO.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
After the Capitals moved Jagr he never touched the puck in DC again without boos. Harper walked on the Nationals and was booed each plate appearance. Panarin walked out on them. Its perfectly understandable that CBJ fans would hate his guts.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
The real question here is why did the hawks trade this guy? I know there are cap implications but wouldn’t you keep this guy and trade others. Kid is a star and the hawks would probably have a playoff spot now if he was still there

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
After the Capitals moved Jagr he never touched the puck in DC again without boos. Harper walked on the Nationals and was booed each plate appearance. Panarin walked out on them. Its perfectly understandable that CBJ fans would hate his guts.
You are comparing Harper, who was drafted by the Nationals (first overall) and was there for 9 years to undrafted Panarin? Who got traded to Columbus? Jagr in his full diva mode in Washington was an entirely different situation as well.

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
Fans have the right to feel like that. Especially after they were close to contending. Instead they take a step back and lose him to a divisonal rival.

Not like Bread did anything wrong but it is what it is.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
You are comparing Harper, who was drafted by the Nationals (first overall) and was there for 9 years to undrafted Panarin? Who got traded to Columbus? Jagr in his full diva mode in Washington was an entirely different situation as well.

All players are different. Panarin was easily the best player on that team. He clearly didn't want to play for them. When fans are rejected like that they respond. Its natural. When Harper walked Nats fans had other star players of the same level remaining. CBJ didn't.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
Panarin was booed every time he touched the puck last night. People buy tickets and can express their feelings any way they want. And their feelings were hurt. The fact that Panarin is having an amazing season doesn't help.

But Panarin did nothing wrong. He wasn't drafted by Columbus, didn't chose to play there, got traded by Stan Bowman after signing a team-friendly deal, was a great player for them, and was honest. I get booing the guy a little the first game back. But this was not a good look, IMO.

You are a ranger fan I’m guessing? Seriously what do you expect from the fans?

Columbus offered him the most money and he chose not to stay with them. If this was a money thing it would be different but it was not. It’s a total slap in the face for a fan base to have a player essentially say I don’t care if you pay me the most money I don’t want to be part of your organization.

Now did he do anything wrong? No,
not at all. It was his choice to do what he wants and he wanted to go to New York. With that being said it’s ignorant to think the Columbus fan base won’t be pissed and boo him.

Absolut

Mar 7, 2002
NYC
Columbus offered him the most money and he chose not to stay with them. If this was a money thing it would be different but it was not.
And if he took the most money, he'd be a "money hungry asshole"... if he pretended he was torn about staying, he'd be a "lying asshole" - it wouldn't be any different.

Last edited by a moderator:

Uncle Scrooge

Hockey Bettor
Nov 14, 2011
Helsinki
The real question here is why did the hawks trade this guy? I know there are cap implications but wouldn’t you keep this guy and trade others. Kid is a star and the hawks would probably have a playoff spot now if he was still there

They anticipated not being able to re-sign him. It was a mix of a few things.

- The core group thought bringing back Saad was a good idea, balancing a skilled team with a player who in theory brought something they lacked a bit, he also won 2 cups with them
- Saad had term left at a cap hit they could afford, and stylistically replaced some of the void Hossa left
- They needed a backup goalie after Darling went to Carolina, and Forsberg was a decent prospect knocking on the door (top 3 save % in the AHL of all goalies who played more than 30 games that year)
- They didn't expect to start sucking and thought they'd be a cap team with limited ways to free up enough space without giving up assets
- Pressure of shaking things up after getting swept in the 1st round

Obviously it was the wrong move but at the time it made some sense. There were also some questions how Bread would produce away from Kane, Saad was seen as a legit 2nd line forward with 3 years left so getting him for a rental wasn't as bad as it looked pretty soon afterwards.

If the Hawks knew what they know now, they would've done everything possible to keep him.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
They play sports. For not very long. panarin came into the nhl at 24 which shortens his time to make money. I am confident if you ask any Columbus fan would it be easier to take it if panarin left because another team offered more money they would say yes. At that point it’s about your organization not putting the money up to pay their franchise player. I know this doesn’t make sense to you for some reason but it’s the truth. columbus did nothing wrong even though it’s hard for you to grasp.

Luckily you are a ranger fan and will prob never have this issue. Players want to play for the rangers.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
And if he took the most money, he'd be a "money hungry asshole"... if he pretended he was torn about staying, he'd be a "lying asshole" - it wouldn't be any different.
New
They play sports. For not very long. panarin came into the nhl at 24 which shortens his time to make money. I am confident if you ask any Columbus fan would it be easier to take it if panarin left because another team offered more money they would say yes. At that point it’s about your organization not putting the money up to pay their franchise player. I know this doesn’t make sense to you for some reason but it’s the truth. columbus did nothing wrong even though it’s hard for you to grasp.

Luckily you are a ranger fan and will prob never have this issue. Players want to play for the rangers​

Last edited by a moderator:

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Fans are lemmings, like when they boo Bettman because the guy next to them is doing it.

I still haven't figured out why Canadians fans boo Subban? He got TRADED, he kept his commitment to the hospital in Montreal, and has never said a bad word about the organization, if anything they should cheer that man when he steps on the ice. :dunno:

LOFIN

Sep 16, 2011
You are a ranger fan I’m guessing? Seriously what do you expect from the fans?

Columbus offered him the most money and he chose not to stay with them. If this was a money thing it would be different but it was not. It’s a total slap in the face for a fan base to have a player essentially say I don’t care if you pay me the most money I don’t want to be part of your organization.

Now did he do anything wrong? No,
not at all. It was his choice to do what he wants and he wanted to go to New York. With that being said it’s ignorant to think the Columbus fan base won’t be pissed and boo him.
And to be fair, it was not even about the organization but the city. While the Rangers have some good prospects coming up, Columbus is still in a better position today. Panarin didn't go to the Rangers because of the team, it was because of NYC. And that hurts.

Reactions: DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->