Columbus fans booing Panarin

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
Fans are stupid. If a 4th liner goes someone else then no one cares but apparently talented players don't own that right. Panarin didn't owe anything to the Blue Jackets.

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
And to be fair, it was not even about the organization but the city. While the Rangers have some good prospects coming up, Columbus is still in a better position today. Panarin didn't go to the Rangers because of the team, it was because of NYC. And that hurts.

yea man for sure. That guy doesn’t understand that.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I heard a few boos the other night in Toronto towards Kessel when Arizona was in town.
Fans aren't always the sharpest spoons.

Ignatius

LET HIM IN TO THE BOX
Apr 28, 2010
Sin Bin
Personally I like to find new and different reasons to boo professional athletes. I was inspired in my youth by this:

Reactions: DaveG

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Panarin was booed every time he touched the puck last night. People buy tickets and can express their feelings any way they want. And their feelings were hurt. The fact that Panarin is having an amazing season doesn't help.

But Panarin did nothing wrong. He wasn't drafted by Columbus, didn't chose to play there, got traded by Stan Bowman after signing a team-friendly deal, was a great player for them, and was honest. I get booing the guy a little the first game back. But this was not a good look, IMO.

Are you new to sports? :huh:

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Fans are lemmings, like when they boo Bettman because the guy next to them is doing it.

I still haven't figured out why Canadians fans boo Subban? He got TRADED, he kept his commitment to the hospital in Montreal, and has never said a bad word about the organization, if anything they should cheer that man when he steps on the ice. :dunno:

Absolutely stupid that PK gets booed in Montreal. It's embarrassing. He gets so much hate by some people in Montreal. They hated his charisma, his personality, and they love Bergevin. All completely stupid imo. There's rarely been a player whose done more for a city, or who cared more for a city than PK in Montreal in the past 20-30 years across the league. One of the last players who should be booed in a certain city.

As to Panarin - yes, he gets booed, and he should. When you announce you want to leave a team, and have no intention in coming back despite the team trying their best to bring you back - you get booed. I don't think Panarin did anything wrong (he was honest and upfront about his desire to leave) - but it still seems obvious he'd get booed.

Jun 16, 2008
Blighty
Not that unusual for a star to get booed after they leave if it's not on the best of terms. It is what it is, and eventually fans just do it for the sake of it and follow after a few start booing. I remember Jagr laughing about it and joked that some of the fans that booed in Pittsburgh probably don't even remember him. That was always a topic of debate with fans in Pittsburgh. Booing tended to just motivate him even more and worked against us in our case.

Last edited:

SUBdrewgANS

Let's Go Pens!
Dec 4, 2007
Abington, PA
www.drewklevan.com
Fans are mad at the wrong person.

Panarin and Bob both told them they weren’t re-signing and instead of getting major assets for them, they went all-in and sold the farm for a year that was never going to be their year.

boo your GM not the players. It’s not like the Tavares situation where he drug the Islanders on and toyed with them. They gave their intentions outright.

acor

Jan 13, 2012
People buy tickets and can express their feelings any way they want.

And other people can comment their actions however they want...

It was f***in stupid, really.

Panarin own them nothing, he was hired employee, who did not choose to play for them by himself (sign contract with Chicago, not Columbus), and was great for them... Fullified their obligations towards them better than expexted...

acor

Jan 13, 2012
Columbus offered him the most money and he chose not to stay with them. If this was a money thing it would be different but it was not. It’s a total slap in the face for a fan base to have a player essentially say I don’t care if you pay me the most money I don’t want to be part of your organization.

Slap in the face for choosing the organisation he likes over the one wich pays him most? If anything, its respect-worthy...

I hate that mentality of American sports:

sign a contract with the one that pays you the most- that's understndable, go for loaded team to chase rings- thats respectable (LOL!!!), but if you sign with the team you always wanted to play- not for money, not for glory (it was clear that Rangers aren't contenders this year)- then you "offend" someone...

Reactions: Ignatius and Weast

Whaddagoal

Junktime season...
Nov 28, 2005
New Jersey
Reactions: Cygnusx1018

Harvey Birdman

…Need some law books, with pictures this time…
Oct 21, 2008
Penguins Legal Office
He left for a division rival after they had their first contending season. Fans will be bitter, and I don’t blame them. If that bothers you? I don’t know what to tell you.

And as you said fans paid for their tickets and if they want to yell at a former player, they can yell at that former player. Also I do not think that bothers Panarin one bit, I would bet the New York income taxes bother him more than any of those boos ever would.

Reactions: DaveG

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Panarin was booed every time he touched the puck last night. People buy tickets and can express their feelings any way they want. And their feelings were hurt. The fact that Panarin is having an amazing season doesn't help.

But Panarin did nothing wrong. He wasn't drafted by Columbus, didn't chose to play there, got traded by Stan Bowman after signing a team-friendly deal, was a great player for them, and was honest. I get booing the guy a little the first game back. But this was not a good look, IMO.

There was always going to be a day, and I probably have known there would be this day for awhile but never wanted to admit it, that using the Blue Jacket fans as the barometer of how to view the world and treat other people was not a good life choice.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
The real question here is why did the hawks trade this guy? I know there are cap implications but wouldn’t you keep this guy and trade others. Kid is a star and the hawks would probably have a playoff spot now if he was still there

Because we knew we couldn’t afford him when he hit UFA. And we were right!

Problem is that Bowman (i) traded him a year too early, and (ii) got a questionable return. It didn’t help that Panarin was awful against the Preds in the first round in 2017.

Leafs87

Mr. Steal Your Job
Aug 10, 2010
Toronto
It’s common and happens.

A bad look was the leafs booing Kessel. He signed 8 years here was our best player and was traded. No reason to of booed him

Rick C137

Jun 5, 2018
I don’t get it. Panarin didn’t get drafted by Columbus, he didn’t chose to sign with Columbus either. He doesn’t owe the city or the fans anything and he still handled it really well I think. He was upfront from day 1 that he was probably gonna hit free agency and he’s well within his right to do so. It’s not his fault his GM decided to hang on to him to win a playoff round instead of recouping assets. It’s funny cause I bet if he got traded at the deadline he would have gotten a huge applause and maybe a tribute. Crazy how someone else’s decision is Panarins fault.

There’s a reason why you got him so cheap in Columbus. He was a huge flight risk and wanted to get paid. If you want to boo someone, boo the gm that knew there was very little chance of him signing long term with the Jackets BEFORE he made the deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad