GDT: Columbus Blue Jackets @ New Jersey Devils 3PM MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
Just gonna leave this here
View attachment 772878
Zoom in and get a whiff of those numbers.

Similar AHL numbers to another goalie we’re all familiar with. Complete with the ECHL demotion (and meh numbers there) that year he had the astronomically bad AHL year. Same thing happened to our old friend. He’s basically Blackwood, only he’s a half a foot shorter.

But hey, he’s been great in 4 games this year!

Pining for Nedeljkovic reminds me of when DD would start calling for some menial nobody played to be signed by us. Or his love for Mrazek.

His history is similar to that of good ole’ Mackenzie Blackwood.
I wish Vanechek was great in 4 games this year🤣 ... lets hear your fix for the goalie situation. I'll wait🤔

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
I wish Vanechek was great in 4 games this year🤣 ... lets hear your fix for the goalie situation. I'll wait🤔
There’s unfortunately no solution right now. Roll with the punches and tighten up. I think Schmid could gain some momentum it he gets some rope and can string together games. He at least deserves a look.

3 gms back of wild card with 2 gms in hand

RUN OFF AN ADEQUATE STRETCH HERE. Need a 5-2 type record the next 7. Then build off that

Yeah it's definitely hard to be over critical with two of the top 6 out...but by the same token I honestly don't think this team is as deep as people think it is. It seems like we can be good but if one thing goes wrong everything falls to hell.
I agree. I don’t think we’re in a HUGE hole. It’s just a frustrating start of the year. They can build off of today. LGD!

Dylan9z9

May 16, 2012
Rockaway, NJ
There’s unfortunately no solution right now. Roll with the punches and tighten up. I think Schmid could gain some momentum it he gets some rope and can string together games. He at least deserves a look.
He does deserve a look but he is inconsistent at best he will have a good game then a bad one I guess that's better than all bad ones

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
There was a picture of it when we had to select the perks and that's exactly what it looked like then too. Agreed though, it's boring and bland, would much rather a zip up with some actual designs in it.
I got it because we selected club seats early on but then got a notice that they are no longer offered and were given lounge tickets and these sweatshirts instead. Had no idea what to expect so I was utterly underwhelmed

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Just gonna leave this here
View attachment 772878
Zoom in and get a whiff of those numbers.

Similar AHL numbers to another goalie we’re all familiar with. Complete with the ECHL demotion (and meh numbers there) that year he had the astronomically bad AHL year. Same thing happened to our old friend. He’s basically Blackwood, only he’s a half a foot shorter.

But hey, he’s been great in 4 games this year!

Pining for Nedeljkovic reminds me of when DD would start calling for some menial nobody played to be signed by us. Or his love for Mrazek.

His history is similar to that of good ole’ Mackenzie Blackwood.

So he’s really a .920 goalie?

• Haha
Reactions: Bleedred

Killing Joke

Dec 2, 2017
There really weren't a whole lot of options without sacrificing a decent portion of the talent or future.
What future or talent lol? Complimentary pieces doing f*** all right now?

Yes, not addressing the goaltending with the mythical goaltender that was available that would solve our problems.
There were actual options out there. Tom never bit

Reactions: Dylan9z9

Billdo

Oct 28, 2008
Ocean County
What future or talent lol? Complimentary pieces doing f*** all right now?

There were actual options out there. Tom never bit
Draft picks... Mercer... Nemec... nothing else moved the needle as far as what type of goalie we'd be able to acquire. Nobody on here was interested in moving Mercer so that leaves Nemec and picks. I am curious though what other "actual options" you think we missed on.

Richer's Ghost

Bourbonite
Apr 19, 2007
photoshop labor camp somewhere in MN
It’s like they forgot how to play hockey.

1700876368227.jpeg

Last edited:

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003

I really liked Smith's interview. I appreciated his turn as a wing today and I think he had a very sane perspective on the game. Loved Jack's intensity.

Smith sounds like a future coach.

Yes, more than one thing can be wrong with the team. Our goaltending has been bad most of the season. It might not be the biggest reason we've lost the last two games but it's still an issue that is going to be discussed.
Team defense has been atrocious all year

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Smith sounds like a future coach.

Team defense has been atrocious all year
Yes, like I said there are multiple issues. Goalies can make saves on difficult shots. Not every single goal they're giving up is some wide open opportunity that only a goaltending god would have a chance at stopping. Some are certainly, and the defense needs to tighten up. That doesn't absolve the goalies of blame. Or the offense. Or the coaching. They're all to blame to some degree.

DrBSmooth

May 10, 2006
Whenever someone brings up Ruff's system, I am reminded of this great Peter Quinn from Homeland scene:

I bet someone could come up with a great redo of this scene (Wallstreetbets style) by changing the wording closed caption style, and adding forum posters names to the people in the room. Not sure who would be Saul, Dar Adal or Peter Quinn.

Louskoolaid89

We're back!
Oct 14, 2017
IDK maybe the new discovery of scoring woes will force this group to find their attention to detail and efforts on defending better. Ya know throwing some positive shit up on the wall and praying it sticks.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
This game has me so pissed off that I don’t even wanna review any of the goals around the league in the 18 games from today.

Yet he shut out Vegas and is playing lights out again tonight...it's up to a good GM to locate potential when others can't. He is just one guy there are others. And Fitz knew coming into this season we needed an upgrade at goal and half tried to get Hellebuyck and then just gave up .... not good enough sorry 😐
He shutout Vegas because any goalie can shutout any team.

His last two games really mean more than his entire career (which has been poor) really?

Reactions: My3Sons

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Score one goal in two games - goalie discussion ensues.

:rolleyes:
The goalie in today’s game did nothing wrong.

2 of his last 3 games have been very good.

Actually, make that 3 of his last 4 games, after he got 50 minutes of mop up duty cleaning up the nasty shart puddle the other guy left.

He should play more.

My guess is that he probably won’t, unless Vitek has his usual 3-4 goal against game tomorrow night. Maybe then they’ll throw him in against the Islanders.

The only goalie discussion worth having about in relation to this game is why doesn’t the goalie who played for us today play more often? Why isn’t he playing more often?

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Yes, like I said there are multiple issues. Goalies can make saves on difficult shots. Not every single goal they're giving up is some wide open opportunity that only a goaltending god would have a chance at stopping. Some are certainly, and the defense needs to tighten up. That doesn't absolve the goalies of blame. Or the offense. Or the coaching. They're all to blame to some degree.
Maybe if we address the non Bratt/Jack scoring, the substandard play from Marino and Siegenthaler, the complete shit show from Hamilton, Bahl having to play over his head, the weak compete level on so many nights and the overall soft play we can take a look at the goaltending. Maybe?

Maybe there are issues that we've seen 1000 times before and somehow that goalie button keeps getting pushed like one of BF Skinners pigeons? Maybe?

Reactions: RNCDevil

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
Maybe if we address the non Bratt/Jack scoring, the substandard play from Marino and Siegenthaler, the complete shit show from Hamilton, Bahl having to play over his head, the weak compete level on so many nights and the overall soft play we can take a look at the goaltending. Maybe?

Maybe there are issues that we've seen 1000 times before and somehow that goalie button keeps getting pushed like one of BF Skinners pigeons? Maybe?
- Hoping Nico and Meier contribute and help others score when they get back

- 6, 7 and 71 need to figure their shit out

- maybe Bahl can be swapped with a Zadarov if Fitz can work a good deal

- I like Holtz but maybe trade him for a speedy winger so we get back our fast identity

Reactions: My3Sons and Dialamo

guitarguyvic

Mar 31, 2010
So they still can't execute the fundamentals in the DZ and NZ, and now they are starting to look impotent offensively too. Instead of progress it's getting even worse. Columbus was able to connect a clean pass right to a wide open guy directly in front of Shmid. Then they scored on a clean breakaway that was a result of a completely unforced error (what else is new?). For good measure they got another clean cut breakaway later in the game, the goalie made the save on that one.

"Every team makes mistakes like this every game"...except the Columbus Blue Jackets in this game I guess huh? Cuz the Devils didn't have a single breakaway, in fact, I don't even think they got a single odd man rush. The Devils also didn't get a single chance where they were able to zip a pass right to a wide open guy in front of Merzlikens. The Devils goal was the only chance they had that was comparable to how Columbus scored, and even that one was not an unforced error on their part, it was Palat making a great individual forechecking effort.

The Columbus f***ing Blue Jackets played better fundamentals than the Devils.

I'm telling you right now, if there is not a major turnaround within the next couple of games, this team is not making the playoffs. That is where we are at.

This team is also becoming increasingly unlikeable. I have no respect for teams who seemingly have talent but play like pee wee's with basic shit.

This coach is f***ing embarrassment. They worked on "pace" last practice...not on slowing things down and simplifying. No, try to execute the shitty decisions you're making even faster! I knew those talks they had with each other wouldn't mean shit, because this isn't an effort issue. Thiis is garbage hockey, plain and simple. And no I don't care that they dominated the shot clock after Columbus went into a shell with the lead and still defended better than the Devils do when they are trapped in their own end.

This is the most I've been disappointed in this team in years. It's much easier to accept that they stink when they have limited talent and expectations are justifiably low.

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
The goalie in today’s game did nothing wrong.

2 of his last 3 games have been very good.

Actually, make that 3 of his last 4 games, after he got 50 minutes of mop up duty cleaning up the nasty shart puddle the other guy left.

He should play more.

My guess is that he probably won’t, unless Vitek has his usual 3-4 goal against game tomorrow night. Maybe then they’ll throw him in against the Islanders.

The only goalie discussion worth having about in relation to this game is why doesn’t the goalie who played for us today play more often? Why isn’t he playing more often?
The fallacy in this argument is that the goalie issue is not and never has been “in relation to this game”.

It has been a season long issue that plagued the team even when the offense had a pulse.

No doubt that the scoring collapse has now also become a major concern.

But still going nowhere even if they fix that if there is no upgrade in net.

You are just playing whack a mole if you fix every one of those indisputable issues but don’t improve the goaltending as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $340.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Bologna vs Udinese
    Bologna vs Udinese