GDT: Columbus Blue Jackets @ New Jersey Devils 3PM MSGSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

racamdim

Jul 14, 2022
Schmid had no track record before last year unless you are counting his first 6 games in 2021-22 as a baby.

Vitek had a very nice record before coming to NJ. And his SV% last year (.911) was barely different than his career average before coming here(.908)

There is no question that this .886 is an outlier in Vitek"s career. But you somehow believe it was expected?

View attachment 772972
Go back to my original comment --

Schmid's performance against CAR (as well as his limited performance last season) strongly suggested that his NYR performance was not reflective of his true level.

VV was never a number 1 -- or even a 1A -- until last season. That wasn't even the plan (as bleedred pointed out). And his performance over the last third of the season was alarming (even before the NYR fiasco). Look at his mini-slumps in the game logs.

What was to be reasonably expected was that they would not replicate their highest level, especially when you considered everything else.

Fitz gambled that they would, or at least enough of it to muddle by -- EVEN though he knew that his D would be taking a step back in the short term.

And there is more to the story than the raw numbers. There is the eye test too. There is a reason Fitz said what he said when he acquired VV (look it up). There is a reason Fitz has expressly acknowledged that he has been actively monitoring the goalie market all summer and into the season. And it was well-documented among mainstream hockey observers/analysts going into the PO last year and coming into this season that the Devs had an Achilles' heel in net.

Are you really going to die on this hill, that the Devs goaltending is sufficient so long as they fix the rest?

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Schmid had no track record before last year unless you are counting his first 6 games in 2021-22 as a baby.

Vitek had a very nice record before coming to NJ. And his SV% last year (.911) was barely different than his career average before coming here(.908)

There is no question that this .886 is an outlier in Vitek"s career. But you somehow believe it was expected?

View attachment 772972
I’ve went back and taken his stats from February (right after all star break) and combined them with his playoff perform and his performance to start this year and he the number I got was .887%. That’s in 40 games.

I actually think that didn’t even include the Detroit game, so maybe it’s now .886% in 40 games?

So basically Vitek (including playoffs) has performed the way he’s performed this season since February, after a pretty good stretch up through January.

So it may just be an outlier, but it also may be a sign of things to come.

I don’t think he’ll be an .88x% goalie forever, but I do think he’s blown his load here. Last playoffs broke him here IMO and I think a divorce is needed sooner than later.

However, I think he could be fine here the rest of this year, but certainly not playing anywhere near the 60+ game pace he’s currently playing at.

I still don’t understand why Schmid doesn’t get more games, with how dreadful Vanecek has been and how long it’s now gone on for. Especially when it was Schmid that helped us turn things around in that Rangers series.

NjDevsRR

Anything Can Happen In Jersey
Apr 24, 2012
Belmar
man this thread is depressing
IMG_0978.jpeg
Oh ho, OH MY partner. Feeling depressed? Saggy? Not your normal self? Then I have big news for you today! Call 1-800-OHMY for your free, that’s right, FREE three month subscription to Genucel’s product line. Look at this face, silky smooth! All thanks to our friends at Genucel.

Now, with having said that, the team really needs to turn it around tomorrow and everyone will be more positive.

Now back to the negativity. Aren’t we due for a loss to Buffalo? Lmao

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
I’ve went back and taken his stats from February (right after all star break) and combined them with his playoff perform and his performance to start this year and he the number I got was .887%. That’s in 40 games.

I actually think that didn’t even include the Detroit game, so maybe it’s now .886% in 40 games?

So basically Vitek (including playoffs) has performed the way he’s performed this season since February, after a pretty good stretch up through January.

So it may just be an outlier, but it also may be a sign of things to come.

I don’t think he’ll be an .88x% goalie forever, but I do think he’s blown his load here. Last playoffs broke him here IMO and I think a divorce is needed sooner than later.

However, I think he could be fine here the rest of this year, but certainly not playing anywhere near the 60+ game pace he’s currently playing at.

I still don’t understand why Schmid doesn’t get more games, with how dreadful Vanecek has been and how long it’s now gone on for. Especially when it was Schmid that helped us turn things around in that Rangers series.

I'm not sure how you got 40 games? February the entire month through the end of the season he played 20 games with a .900 Sv% -with a 12-6-2 record. He started 4 playoff games and started 12 games this year. I got 36? Not that it matters.... Close enough either way.

Screenshot_20231124-233127_1.png

I really don't think adding playoffs is proper representation of his game though. Playoffs are just another animal...He doesn't have good playoff numbers but the sample is awfully limited. He only has 7 playoff starts in his career....I wouldn't disagree that he's not a goalie that you want to go into the playoffs with but there no reason he can't give us 40/50 starts with winning results.

PKs Broken Stick

Oct 9, 2008
but what is the fix? where do the Devils get goalies? Both goals against today the scorer was all alone with the puck NO Devils defense to be found. Agree Schmid can't improve on the bench. Too much pressure on Vitek, a back up goalie, to start every game. If you are going to lose why not start Schmid?

The Devils goalie problem has been with them for years this isn't new. Everyone was happy to get Vitek as a backup goalie with Blackwood. But Blackwood was the Problem, IMO, so what did you really have. You can go back to Brodeur's final year when the goalie problem started for the Devils. Enough said. You have a goalie problem, no fix in sight, so lose games or play tighter defense. Today was zero defense on both goals. This, for me, is a coaching problem.

The 1st goal was embarrassing defense but it's not the players, it's the system. 2nd goal didn't seem like a systems issue, just terrible defensive awareness. The BJ player sped ahead and no one read it.

Looking at it again...maybe it is a system thing? Idk why 2 d-men are still right on the blue line when opposing team has full control of the puck.

Reactions: Maine Fan

TF1970

May 9, 2021
Just finally watched the postgame press conference with the coach and what a joke. All it was is typical Amanda lobbing up softball questions and then a bunch of excuses. Talking about seeing better things, not cashing in on opportunities, once again throwing Vanacek a lifeline from the Detroit game. Talking about Columbus defending as if it was a game against the bruins. It’s all pitiful. Nobody gives a f***, you lost against one of the worst teams in the league (albeit you also are in that category too right now) and are an embarrassment . Zero accountability around there. Again I’m mentally checked out at this point so not even mad anymore, but it still absolutely is worth pointing out.

Reactions: Bleedred
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad