Friedman: Columbus and... Erik Karlsson?

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
It's really annoying watching people question Friedman's credibility in regards to situations like these. Just because Columbus isn't a "front runner" for Karlsson do you not think they at least called and are considering making an offer for him? Frankly I love the interesting tidbits Friedman shares, just because a transaction doesn't happen between these two teams doesn't mean anything Friedman reported was wrong.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Im from Finland and not sure what kind of place Columbus is, but I assume that not the most comfortable? And player like Karlsson will definitely want to live in comfortable city, it wont be only money

What do you base your assumption on?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't know why they do this unless they are moving Jones or Werenski. The 3 of them fill the same role, and CBJ needs star power at forward more than anything

It doesn't really make much sense. Unless the Jackets are planning on doing something revolutionary with team strategy to take advantage of a top 4 like this:

Werenski-Jones
Nutivaara-Karlsson

Imagine them on the ice 50+ minutes a game.

Could there be a massive deal around Karlsson + Duchene to be had?

To OTT: Wennberg + Dubinsky + Murray + Abramov + 1st + another prospect/pick

To CBJ: Karlsson + Dunchene

That's not pretty for Ottawa.

Don’t kill me if the value is a little off, but here’s a (sort of) 3 way

To LA: Panarin, Milano

To CBJ: Toffoli, Vilardi

Then

To OTT: Toffoli, Savard, Vilardi, 2019 1st

To CBJ: Karlsson (extension pre-negotiated)

Am I off, or could that work for everyone?

It kind of makes sense, because Columbus can't settle for futures, while Ottawa really should. That's a lot to add to Panarin though - the price of Karlsson's extension would have to be reasonable (~$11m?).

Reactions: Viqsi

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Im from Finland and not sure what kind of place Columbus is, but I assume that not the most comfortable? And player like Karlsson will definitely want to live in comfortable city, it wont be only money

Yeah, this is a downtown and the rink is right around the corner.

ruincitGm_002.jpg38C7B00A-127E-404D-B5F0-779C292A0074Original.jpg

major major

Feb 18, 2013
So we’d be giving up Panarin, Milano, and Savard for Karlsson? Who’s going to be scoring goals for us? That’s awful value for Columbus, and I don’t even care that we’d be acquiring one of the best defensemen in the league.

For a signed Karlsson I'd accept that deal. Assuming we can't sign Panarin that is.

And who cares who scores for us, the other teams will never get out of their own end.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Yeah, this is a downtown and the rink is right around the corner.

ruincitGm_002.jpg38C7B00A-127E-404D-B5F0-779C292A0074Original.jpg

The cannon is not without it's drawbacks.

Why did you have to show him that picture? It looks so much worse when the wind picks up the dust like that. The media will never give us a break about the stinging insect problem or the artillery raining down, we can at least show a pretty picture somewhere.

To our Finnish friend, in all seriousness, 90% of U.S. and Canadian cities are identical. There's some crime ridden parts of Detroit, and some cities like Montreal have a special culture, but most Europeans who travel through say that Columbus = St. Louis = Ottawa = Winnipeg. All the damn same.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Yeah from my limited experience it seems like there's a lot of cannon fire and confusing insects.
You should see the bugs near lake erie every couple years... invaded by canadian soldiers. Hate those bastards. (The bugs not the brave men up north)

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
IMO not a chance of this occurring... but out of curiosity how is this deal for Ottawa?

Murray+Dubinsky(dump)+ Marchenko/Abramov+1st+2nd

major major

Feb 18, 2013
IMO not a chance of this occurring... but out of curiosity how is this deal for Ottawa?

Murray+Dubinsky(dump)+ Marchenko/Abramov+1st+2nd

For who?

It's a bit of an overpay for Pageau.

Seriously though, I don't think Ryan Murray is valued like a steady second pair D-man. More like a #4/5 with big red flags. If it was Nuti instead of Murray I think Ottawa should consider it.

Reactions: GoJackets1

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
"But somebody was telling me that they thought maybe Columbus was trying to get into this too, which I thought was pretty interesting."

Can this be any more baseless and vague.

Someone told me they thought maybe team x pursues Karlsson

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
For who?

It's a bit of an overpay for Pageau.

Seriously though, I don't think Ryan Murray is valued like a steady second pair D-man. More like a #4/5 with big red flags. If it was Nuti instead of Murray I think Ottawa should consider it.
That's too bad, but unfortunately I agree. We value Murray pretty highly whereas he has a reputation as an injury prone #3/#4. At the same time, other GMs clearly like him as evidenced by being picked for the World Cup and other tournaments.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
"But somebody was telling me that they thought maybe Columbus was trying to get into this too, which I thought was pretty interesting."

Can this be any more baseless and vague.

Someone told me they thought maybe team x pursues Karlsson
This is as fitting as him saying that Pittsburg is trying to land Tavares "quietly". Esp. after that show CAA put on.

Korpse

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
It's really annoying watching people question Friedman's credibility in regards to situations like these. Just because Columbus isn't a "front runner" for Karlsson do you not think they at least called and are considering making an offer for him? Frankly I love the interesting tidbits Friedman shares, just because a transaction doesn't happen between these two teams doesn't mean anything Friedman reported was wrong.

The problem with Friedman is that he throws out possibilities that really seem to lack substance. It’s really not different than numerous twitter accounts that do have sources but report on everything they hear. What separates the guys who do this for a living and the guys who do it for fun is that when they throw something out there it’s concrete. Friedman has a tendency to this, he will throw out a tidbit and while I enjoy them the problem becomes that a good number of people take it for more than it’s worth because it’s coming from someone as reputable as Friedman. For someone in Friedman’s position it’s a little irresponsible.

eNTe17

Dec 16, 2009
Oslo, Norway
I like the fact that Jarmo was the GM (or coach, cant remember) of Jokerit when Karlsson played there during the lockout.

He set a point record for defensemen that season I believe, even though he only played half..

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010

Ive only drove through it a few times on my way to Florida, but it looked like a beautiful city. Its actually my second favorite in terms of eye appeal on the highway behind Cincinnati. Just something about it appealed to me.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
The cannon is not without it's drawbacks.

Why did you have to show him that picture? It looks so much worse when the wind picks up the dust like that. The media will never give us a break about the stinging insect problem or the artillery raining down, we can at least show a pretty picture somewhere.

To our Finnish friend, in all seriousness, 90% of U.S. and Canadian cities are identical. There's some crime ridden parts of Detroit, and some cities like Montreal have a special culture, but most Europeans who travel through say that Columbus = St. Louis = Ottawa = Winnipeg. All the damn same.
You forgot to mention that there is literally nothing to do in Columbus. When you live here they force you to stay in a cage when you aren't actively working. And they feed you moldy bread.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
You forgot to mention that there is literally nothing to do in Columbus. When you live here they force you to stay in a cage when you aren't actively working. And they feed you moldy bread.

....and then force you to do a lizard bomb at the Winking Lizard.

timmeh

Nov 8, 2009
Could there be a massive deal around Karlsson + Duchene to be had?

To OTT: Wennberg + Dubinsky + Murray + Abramov + 1st + another prospect/pick

To CBJ: Karlsson + Dunchene

Panarin-Dubois-Anderson
Milano-Duchene-Atkinson
Foligno-Nash-Bjorkstrand
Jenner-Sedlak-Davidsson

Werenski-Jones
Nutivaara-Karlsson
Kukan-Savard

You’re trading for Erik Karlsson and then you put him on the second pairing?

Then

Don’t know about the value but the general opinion is that Vilardi is close to untouchable.

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010

Then

Panarin, Milano, Savard, and a 1st for EK is essentially what you’re saying.... yikes

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad