Friedman: Columbus and... Erik Karlsson?

Lays

Jan 22, 2017
NYR as the 3rd team would make sense. Just spitballing here but.

NYR: Panarin

Columbus: Karlsson

Ottawa: Chytil/Andersson, Abramov, Columbus 2019 first, and Rangers 2019 second.

But, it only really works if you there are solid extensions on all sides. Otherwise, the price is too rich for Columbus and the Rangers.
Yeah, not giving up Chytil/Andersson for Panarin, we could go after him for free next offseason as he wants to play here.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Pretty much like a 1% chance karlsson would re-sign there

Jeff Carter didn't want to be there, panarin is asking to go to a big market, what makes you think and international mega star is going to want to hang around in columbus Ohio if given the chance?

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Jeff Carter didn't want to be there, panarin is asking to go to a big market, what makes you think and international mega star is going to want to hang around in columbus Ohio if given the chance?
Jeff Carter wanted to be around the nightlife scene..

Karlsson wants a place to raise a family. Something that Columbus seems to be VERY appealing for many NHLers. You can now add Jack Johnson to the list of players who wants to come back to Columbus after his career.

If you're young u24 it's a great place to be (college scene)

If you're starting/trying to raise a family, it's a great place to be.

If you're looking for the limelight, well, Columbus isn't the best of choices.

Reactions: cydawg and Fro

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
The cannon is not without it's drawbacks.

Why did you have to show him that picture? It looks so much worse when the wind picks up the dust like that. The media will never give us a break about the stinging insect problem or the artillery raining down, we can at least show a pretty picture somewhere.

To our Finnish friend, in all seriousness, 90% of U.S. and Canadian cities are identical. There's some crime ridden parts of Detroit, and some cities like Montreal have a special culture, but most Europeans who travel through say that Columbus = St. Louis = Ottawa = Winnipeg. All the damn same.

Well, other than St. Louis being the murder capital of the US ... or maybe they're second place now? :D
Also Winnipeg is called Winterpeg for a reason.

However, I'll give you Columbus = Ottawa :D Have a friend in Columbus who lives downtown. It's a nice area.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite

Right, because Ottawa is the entertainment capital of the world.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Well, other than St. Louis being the murder capital of the US ... or maybe they're second place now? :D

However, I'll give you Columbus = Ottawa :D Have a friend in Columbus who lives downtown. It's a nice area.
Fun fact: Jeff Carter actually really liked it here... until he saw the gulags.

Reactions: Viqsi and cydawg

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012
Off topic but related to CBJ: Watching free agent frenzy I realized Doug Maclean is still on Sportsnet, and his schtick is still "I never had enough money in Columbus." He said his big UFA splash was Adam Foote because he thought it would sell tickets. Doug Maclean.

DJA

over the horizon radar
Sponsor
Apr 17, 2002
Beyond the Infinite
Off topic but related to CBJ: Watching free agent frenzy I realized Doug Maclean is still on Sportsnet, and his schtick is still "I never had enough money in Columbus." He said his big UFA splash was Adam Foote because he thought it would sell tickets. Doug Maclean.

and people wonder why he hasn't held a job in the NHL since...

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me
Yeah....I see no way he goes to Columbus. Especially considering they are a first round punching bag for the Pens and Caps. That's not a team remotely close to being a cup contender.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Yeah....I see no way he goes to Columbus. Especially considering they are a first round punching bag for the Pens and Caps. That's not a team remotely close to being a cup contender.
Uhhh you put Jones, Karlsson and Werenski on the same blue line and you're gonna have 3 dmen who all get votes for the Norris if not finalists themselves..

The 3 of them alone can generate almost 200 points..

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Uhhh you put Jones, Karlsson and Werenski on the same blue line and you're gonna have 3 dmen who all get votes for the Norris if not finalists themselves..

The 3 of them alone can generate almost 200 points..

To be fair, to be in the running to get Karlsson they'd probably need to offer up one of those other two.

paragon

May 5, 2010
I like the fact that Jarmo was the GM (or coach, cant remember) of Jokerit when Karlsson played there during the lockout.

He set a point record for defensemen that season I believe, even though he only played half..
I was just about to point out the same thing. Their previous relationship is probably a reason why the rumor was made up. I seriously doubt it would happen, but I would love to see it.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Yeah CLB is very much like Ottawa,a nice place actually....You want to party your ass off ,with some of the best night life then likely both places arent for you...You want a safe city that can meet the needs of a family the either cities are great

Reactions: DJAnimosity

JT Kreider

FIRE GORDIE CLARK
Dec 24, 2010
NYC
To be fair, to be in the running to get Karlsson they'd probably need to offer up one of those other two.

No way would Ottaawa get Jones. Signed or unsigned. He's already a borderline top 10 defensemen already and is on a steal of a contract

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Columbus is pretty much like everywhere in the US, not sure how it compares to Finland. It's hilly with valleys and experiences all four seasons. Although spring and fall are pretty short, only lasting a month or two.

As for what to do, these players are multi-millionaires; I'm sure they can find something fun to do anywhere they go. Never understood why this part is brought up in these kinds of discussions.

Dr Quincy

Jun 19, 2005

Off topic: Are you a Whippet owner? Had to put my buddy Scooter to sleep last September. He was 14 1/2. Great dogs who are athletic but love to be pampered.

HoweHullOrr

Oct 3, 2013
For an un-signed Karlsson, not a chance.

Not sure why people keep saying this. Senators are allowing teams to talk to Karlsson with the idea that Karlsson would know what teams he would like to join and so the potential suitor would know what kind of (new) contract they would need to offer to get Karlsson signed. This is what has been reported based on what I've read.

Caeldan

Whippet Whisperer
Jun 21, 2008
Off topic: Are you a Whippet owner? Had to put my buddy Scooter to sleep last September. He was 14 1/2. Great dogs who are athletic but love to be pampered.

Yeah, I've got a 4 year old female. She's a bit out of joint lately cause she's now effectively the 'middle' child since we had a baby (have a cat that's a few months older than her). Absolutely lovely dog though :)

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
Columbus is at a bit of a crossroads. If they think they're going to lose Panarin, they might decide this is the year to go 'all in' before a retool.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad