Post-Game Talk: Colorado vs Buffalo: Re-Entering Earth's Atmosphere

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I'm not at all worried about MacKinnon's defensive game. I saw him play too well in that area with Halifax, and his willingness to backcheck all the way behind his own net in the NHL to be concerned.

He looks very out of sorts on some shifts, but he's just struggling with some positional issues, and adjusting to the speed of trying to defend against NHL forwards, and the way NHLers move the puck around.

He has the smarts and willingness to be a good two way center, even more so in raw ability than Duchene IMO because he knows how to assert himself physically and be strong on his stick defensively. Duchene is just now getting better in that area in his fifth year in the league.

He's just a very young 18 years old, even more so than most all rookies, and needs to adjust. He'll have figured out a lot by the end of the season I'm sure of it, and in 2-3 years he'll be a pretty solid all around center.

You watch some young forwards and you get the sense that they'll likely always be weak defensively. I watch MacKinnon and I don't get that sense at all, I just get the feeling he's learning, and also get the sense his learning curve is very steep. He'll figure it out pretty soon. For all his raw talent that he leans on to be successful in all areas of the game, he's very underrated in terms of how smart he is, and at learning what works.

Last edited:

Freaky Styley

Aug 14, 2007
redlinerapport.blogspot.ca
Honestly can't believe how well Duchene is playing. Playing the best hockey of his life, and really starting to take over games by himself. Dangerous every shift... can't believe this is the tip of the iceberg.

seancolorado

Oct 8, 2011
I'm not at all worried about MacKinnon's defensive game. I saw him play too well in that area with Halifax, and his willingness to backcheck all the way behind his own net in the NHL to be concerned.

He looks very out of sorts on some shifts, but he's just struggling with some positional issues, and adjusting to the speed of trying to defend against NHL forwards, and the way NHLers move the puck around.

He has the smarts and willingness to be a good two way center, even more so in raw ability than Duchene IMO because he knows how to assert himself physically and be strong on his stick defensively. Duchene is just now getting better in that area in his fifth year in the league.

He's just a very young 18 years old, even more so than most all rookies, and needs to adjust. He'll have figured out a lot by the end of the season I'm sure of it, and in 2-3 years he'll be a pretty solid all around center.

You watch some young forwards and you get the sense that they'll likely always be weak defensively. I watch MacKinnon and I don't get that sense at all, I just get the feeling he's learning, and also get the sense his learning curve is very steep. He'll figure it out pretty soon. For all his raw talent that he leans on to be successful in all areas of the game, he's very underrated in terms of how smart he is, and at learning what works.

Yeah I agree with pretty much everything you said. Despite being a pessimist who often takes a firm "show me first" approach with young players, I'm actually not worried about MacKinnon. The kinds of mistakes he makes are more indicative of his attempt to adjust to the NHL game more than anything. I'm so excited for Nathan going forward. And when I think about how Duchene has come into his own, I just can't believe we have two centers like them. I am giddy beyond belief, waking up everyday to a team like this

OldSchoolAvalanche*

I got home to watch the game (recorded it because of work.) and it was a black screen again! Was Altitude having issues again?
not sure bro I missed the first viewing watching the second now. Don't know if you know or not but altitude has rebroadcasts of the game.

Not our best game hopefully we can continue this and atleast snag a point next game

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
I did not like that hard pass Cliche gave Bordeleau that iced the puck after a long shift in the third. Bordeleau hasn't got the hands to handle a puck like that.

There wasn't many other options for Cliche. Bords should be able to handle that type of pass (even just deflect it), or he should be playing 4 minutes a night. I loved Bordeleau's game last year, but this year in an actual system he looks out of place.

forsbergavs32

Global Moderator
Jan 21, 2011
Fresno,CA
not sure bro I missed the first viewing watching the second now. Don't know if you know or not but altitude has rebroadcasts of the game.

Not our best game hopefully we can continue this and atleast snag a point next game

I have CI so I don't think I get any rebroadcasts...hopefully it was just another Altitude issue like with the Nashville game cause I hate trying to deal with Directv.

viach

Aug 5, 2007
Good win for us.

Just a little disappointing that Nathan didn't get a point in a night who Jones, Monahan, Hertl, Barkov take goal for the most part.

I realize that I expect a lot from this kid certainly because he was the 1st pick. I am still happy. Only 18, good start, nice plays. I still believe he was the best choice for Colorado.
I just want him to score more goals to be crazy about this young season

GO AVS GO AVS.....

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
It's not a race. MacKinnon still has 7 points in 8 games. He's not expected to be a PPG player at 18. With Duchene in particular beastmoding it and every single player on the team chipping in for points the scoring is going to be pretty spread out. MacKinnon is not going to disappoint on offense this season.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
Damn, some of you are pretty harsh on a guy who just turned 18 about a month ago. I think he's had some good moments defensively, but he's still learning.

He just had his third straight game of at least being 50% on faceoffs. He's improving, just give it time. Roy is doing a good job so far of putting him in good positions to succeed, but he's going to get some tough matchups sometimes. I think by the end of the year we'll see a large improvement.

Qurpiz

Carry me home!
Nov 5, 2006
I like how Stastny's goal highlight is titled Better Call Paul at the Avs website. Nice nod to BrBa

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Listening to a Marek vs Wyshynski podcast from Thursday and they're saying something that's interesting. Marek was saying that the Avs are playing a man to man defence and just outworking guys. When they stop outworking, they're gonna struggle (like the third period tonight) and when more teams figure out that it's man to man then they're gonna set up picks and switch forward movement making it tougher so Roy will have to adapt. I wonder how true this ends up being.

Once again, we do NOT play man on man defense. That's the dumbest thing you could do in the NHL.

LazRNN

Dec 17, 2003
It's vexing to see so much harping on the negative when the team is 7-1. They are not as good as their record but this is still pretty close to the same team that had the second worst record last year. The harping on MacKinnon... just unbelievable... he's looked great and had a couple of games where he actually looks like one of the youngest players who would ever dress in an NHL game... I mean really can someone explain what the expectations are here?

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Huh? Man-on-man down low is a fairly common defensive strategy. Less so now than it used to be, but still used to varying degrees by certain teams, including Roy's Avs.

Roy doesn't use a man on man defensive system. He uses a combination of zone defense and 3rd man back man on man, whatever the hell the official term is.

Take the typical 1st line shift where they lose the puck. Opposing forwards create a 3 on 2, spread wide and force the defenders to not isolate out any of the potential other two players who do not have the puck. If ROR or Duchy are able to backcheck the defense pressure the puck carrier and the 3rd "defender" aka the trailing forward isolates the high slot player (generally the center) and tracks them throughout the play until the center gets back into the play defensively.

So whomever says he plays man on man strictly is wrong, what is interesting is that he tends to play a collapsing 3-1-1 if you will, where one winger is always around the high slot and one winger is always around the point with the center acting as a third defender and cycling the defensive pickups with the defenders. You'll notice EJ/Hejda/Duchy switching their man constantly depending who is closer. In man on man defense you don't trade assignments.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Admit I'm not as critical as many on here, but
- I thought Wilson looked better last night than he has all season.
- Looked to me like Roy was using a weaker Buffalo team to give MacK harder minutes (especially early)
- Team was VERY careless with the puck last night
- Tangs on the point is good for possession, but would like to see another option (Barrie? although he has struggled this year)
- Mitchell does not belong on a skill line
- McGinn looks like his conditioning is million times better this year than last. Completely on board with resigning him.
- Downie may need to switch lines soon. Not impressed with his last few games

Glad to get the win, but it was tougher than necessary.

Pittsburgh will really test this team, and I could see Malkin have a huge game.

Lombo

Feb 21, 2012
I really feel like Duchene's game right now is effortless as in it will be easier for him to keep up. The years before when he used to play this well it always seemed like he was gonna burn all his energy.

Also, I feel that Downie can't keep up anymore with ROR and Duchene. I'd like to see him change place with Tanguay

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I'm really looking forward to the Pittsburgh game. I don't expect to win it, so it's almost like the Avs have nothing to lose. They are going to be fired up and play hard, it should be a good game. It's cool that both teams are 7-1 and justify the national TV hype.

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
For everyone saying take Downie off of Duchene and O'Reilly's line, why? It's not like he is hampering those two at all. Those two are already playing at a PPG pace. It's not like removing Downie from that line is going to all of a sudden get them an extra goal a game.

Plus, I believe that Downie's reputation and playing style benefits that line. Everyone is aware of Downie when he is on the ice. If not, they're probably going to get their head taken off. When he is forechecking, you can be sure those defenceman are moving the puck an extra second quicker.

PeterTheGreat

Jan 4, 2009
Stastny and EJ were MASSIVE last night.

I hope we can re-sign Paulie. He looks reborn under Patrick. He's just so smart and has an extra gear that he didnt have in his earlier years.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $220.00