Post-Game Talk: Colorado vs Buffalo: Re-Entering Earth's Atmosphere

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
He definitely shouldn't be. He also definitely shouldn't make them feel bad for winning, but I think he knows as a player and as a coach how to handle it.

oh i agree he wont make them feel bad for the win and i'm sure he will chose the proper words . But he will have to teach them and remind them to play 60 minutes.

It's a Young team with a record well above our expectations, so our comments are more like constructive insted of complaning .

The Pwnerer

Jan 27, 2006
Good god you guys are weird.

This team isn't a Stanley cup contender. They'll need to win games they aren't playing their best just to get into the playoffs. Just be happy they're winning.

They aren't going to be perfect.

This, 7-1 everyone....7-1. We would be 1-7 last year. Enjoy it!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
MacKinnon freakin sucks defensively and that is saying it nicely.

I am glad we didn't dominate, it will get Roy to fire his troops up for the Penguins game.

A few observations,

- The defensive core actually played a pretty damn solid game (besides Wilson)
- The forwards played a DREADFUL game in the defensive zone. Majority of the Buffalo chances came from turnovers from the FORWARDS in the neutral zone and defensive zone.
- Both of the goals were Giguere's fault IMO. I don't care if Hejda tip the first goal, he has to do a much better job at getting in position than quaking like a duck.
- I thought ROR had a pretty poor game defensively, tried to do too much with the puck and kept on losing it
- Downie didn't have any intensity at all, he sort of got himself in that fight than him instigating it.
- Stastny was BY FAR the best forward for us, everyone else was 'meh' except Parenteau and Landeskog

Also the ice looked pretty damn brutal today, puck kept on bouncing fackin everywhere.

Buffalo's main problem is they're too passive in the defensive zone, they will ultimately find their offensive game, but defensive they must get tougher.

Frenchy

Administrator
Sep 16, 2006
϶(°o°)ϵ
The point is they were able to make Detroit look like chumps for half a game, with huge speed. They didn't look anything like that team last game and there's no reason why they can't.

Avs looked like the Avs of last year tonight.

Maybe , probably , but we got ahead 3-0 against one of the worst team in the league . i think at that point they tought that they would have an ez game tonight and didnt give the proper effort for the rest of the game . i'm guessing it's in the human nature to take some things for granted

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Maybe , probably , but we got ahead 3-0 against one of the worst team in the league . i think at that point they tought that they would have an ez game tonight and didnt give the proper effort for the rest of the game . i'm guessing it's in the human nature to take some things for granted

This.

jaems

Apr 16, 2006
At least Duchene acknowledged that they let them back in the game while Roy tipped his hat to the goaltending in the 2nd and 3rd.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
11-8

It wasn't that bad. It just wasn't as good as the first.

Still, it didn't have anywhere near the intensity even if it was "close" in shots. I'm not.."complaining" per se, just saying that they should have destroyed Buffalo in the entire game but they thought they could just laze their way through it after the first.

They will learn however.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
The second period was fairly even. I don't have a big problem with how Avs played there. The third period was sloppy and Avs got outworked big time.

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo

I am glad we didn't dominate, it will get Roy to fire his troops up for the Penguins game.

A few observations,

- The defensive core actually played a pretty damn solid game (besides Wilson)
- The forwards played a DREADFUL game in the defensive zone. Majority of the Buffalo chances came from turnovers from the FORWARDS in the neutral zone and defensive zone.
- Both of the goals were Giguere's fault IMO. I don't care if Hejda tip the first goal, he has to do a much better job at getting in position than quaking like a duck.
- I thought ROR had a pretty poor game defensively, tried to do too much with the puck and kept on losing it
- Downie didn't have any intensity at all, he sort of got himself in that fight than him instigating it.
- Stastny was BY FAR the best forward for us, everyone else was 'meh' except Parenteau and Landeskog

Also the ice looked pretty damn brutal today, puck kept on bouncing fackin everywhere.

Buffalo's main problem is they're too passive in the defensive zone, they will ultimately find their offensive game, but defensive they must get tougher.

It's amazing, with one viewing you have already realized this, but for whatever reason, our coaches have no clue and this has continued on for many years. I don't know if they intentionally do this, but it's sickening.

Sacco is bringing his tank commander experience onto the Sabres, Reinhart we're coming!!!!

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's amazing, with one viewing you have already realized this, but for whatever reason, our coaches have no clue and this has continued on for many years. I don't know if they intentionally do this, but it's sickening.

Sacco is bringing his tank commander experience onto the Sabres, Reinhart we're coming!!!!

Which coach is controlling the defensive side of things for you guys? Is it really Sacco?

Reinhart will be great for you guys, but you REALLY need to replace Weber (brutal)(after the tank of course).

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
Which coach is controlling the defensive side of things for you guys? Is it really Sacco?

Reinhart will be great for you guys, but you REALLY need to replace Weber (brutal)(after the tank of course).

Nah I don't think so, he's running the PK for sure, but this kind of defensive scheme has been something in Buffalo even when Ruff was coaching. Never apply pressure at the blue line, they just let forwards walk in and do whatever the hell they want. It's disgusting to watch.

Yeah, Weber is not playing well this year, just way too inconsistent, hopefully by the end of the tank, we're going to have some kind of D pairings consisting of Myers, Risto, Pysyk, Zadorov, McCabe and someone else. Definitely need some top end forwards for sure though.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007

This is funny, because everyone told me I was wrong saying I didn't like his defensive game in juniors. It was all built around his physical gifts, not IQ.

Granted he's an 18 year old rookie in the NHL so it will improve.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Nah I don't think so, he's running the PK for sure, but this kind of defensive scheme has been something in Buffalo even when Ruff was coaching. Never apply pressure at the blue line, they just let forwards walk in and do whatever the hell they want. It's disgusting to watch.

It's interesting to see how much the system/approach can influence the result. Watching the game at some point I thought of how solid your team and especially the D looks on paper. Ehrhoff, McBain, Myers, Pysyk. I'd take anyone of those defensemen on the Avs.

Good luck for the rest of the season, we've been through that stuff as well. I feel for you (although I could also see the Sabres turn it around soon as I really don't think the team is as bad as it looks at this point).

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
This is funny, because everyone told me I was wrong saying I didn't like his defensive game in juniors. It was all built around his physical gifts, not IQ.

It's fine i've been told by the experts on the main board that all offense/awful defense players who score a few more points than elite 2 way guys are much more valuable so /shrug

start winnin

NO MORE TANK BOYS
May 7, 2011
Buffalo
It's interesting to see how much the system/approach can influence the result. Watching the game at some point I thought of how solid your team and especially the D looks on paper. Ehrhoff, McBain, Myers, Pysyk. I'd take anyone of those defensemen on the Avs.

Good luck for the rest of the season, we've been through that stuff as well. I feel for you (although I could also see the Sabres turn it around soon as I really don't think the team is as bad as it looks at this point).

Seems like a lack of a system/identity is really killing us, ask any Buffalo fan what they think our team's identity is and you're going to get 10 different answers(most saying things like get dominated all game, don't score, leave the goalie to dry, etc :laugh:). I don't think we played well at all tonight, in fact I think Colorado just went into neutral in the 3rd. Anyways, good luck the rest of the year. ;)

ANewHope

Nuggets|Avs|Broncos
May 26, 2011
Avs looked like the Avs of last year tonight.

Disagree strongly with that. Avs had a dominant 1st period filled with puck movement we could only dream of last year. Buffalo actually reminded me of the Avs last year, awful for half the game and than turning it on when your down 4-1 and eventually coming up short.

Anyways I can see ALOT of these games in our future. We'll score a couple goals and than give up alot defensively.

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Disagree strongly with that. Avs had a dominant 1st period filled with puck movement we could only dream of last year. Buffalo actually reminded me of the Avs last year, awful for half the game and than turning it on when your down 4-1 and eventually coming up short.

Anyways I can see ALOT of these games in our future. We'll score a couple goals and than give up alot defensively.

i more meant everything after the first

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL

Trust me I was the same way, and then in training camp he really made me change my mind with his hustle and hockey IQ. He's probably going on a little dry spell defensively, but he must be tougher because Buffalo and Detroit are really exposing his soft play.

With that all said, he will still be a decent two-way player. Probably not on the levels of Landeskog, Stastny or, ROR, but more along the lines of Parenteau (has an underrated defensive game IMO)/McGinn/Duchene.

Seems like a lack of a system/identity is really killing us, ask any Buffalo fan what they think our team's identity is and you're going to get 10 different answers(most saying things like get dominated all game, don't score, leave the goalie to dry, etc :laugh:). I don't think we played well at all tonight, in fact I think Colorado just went into neutral in the 3rd. Anyways, good luck the rest of the year. ;)
Ron Rolston is definitely NOT the answer.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad