Post-Game Talk: Colorado vs Buffalo: Re-Entering Earth's Atmosphere

TheStranger

Jan 21, 2010
Ottawa, Ontario
Trust me I was the same way, and then in training camp he really made me change my mind with his hustle and hockey IQ. He's probably going on a little dry spell defensively, but he must be tougher because Buffalo and Detroit are really exposing his soft play.

With that all said, he will still be a decent two-way player. Probably not on the levels of Landeskog, Stastny or, ROR, but more along the lines of Parenteau.

He won't be a defensive asset, and won't be a defensive liability.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Just finished the game well sort of, I bailed out starting the 3rd. Is there anything worth well watching in that period?

Duchene was fantastic on the 1-3 goals. Landy coming alive, is it too late to trade him?:laugh: Looks like he recovered faster than I thought.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Buffalo shouldn't be this bad, I joked around with my brother saying the looked like Tampa late 90's with some Islanders and a hint of Atlanta. Man are they ever bad, you look at that lineup and you think what the hell is wrong? The coach sucks plus, he looks like a wiener. Should've kept Lindy and maybe not hired Sacco.:shakehead

MacKinnon freakin sucks defensively and that is saying it nicely.

Jones is worse

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Compare an 18 year old Duchene to a 22 year old Duchene.
Compare an 18 year old O'Reilly to a 22 year old O'Reilly.

MacKinnon will be fine. He's got a long way to go until he's a well rounded player, but players with all the talent in the world and a relentless drive to improve tend to eliminate many of the weaknesses they have in their game.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
Compare an 18 year old Duchene to a 22 year old Duchene.
Compare an 18 year old O'Reilly to a 22 year old O'Reilly.

MacKinnon will be fine. He's got a long way to go until he's a well rounded player, but players with all the talent in the world and a relentless drive to improve tend to eliminate many of the weaknesses they have in their game.

I was thinking about that earlier today.

Thinking about how long Duchene and O'Reilly have come since they came onto the Avalanche, and how good they could still be, they're only 22!

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
O'Reilly-Duchene
Landeskog-MacKinnon

Even if Duchene and MacKinnon end up being nothing more than average defensively, they should have two defensive beasts beside them for a long time.

No one should be worried about MacKinnon. We see how good Duchene and O'Reilly are and most people expect MacKinnon to be even better. That's scary. Roy just needs to keep being careful with him and sitting him when necessary this season.

AvsRobin

Size doesn't matter!
Aug 10, 2010
Stockholm
It rarely gets said, but what a great move Sherman did by signing Giguere in 2011 when everyone thought he was "done". Been a perfect back up for us.

Ruston*

It rarely gets said, but what a great move Sherman did by signing Giguere in 2011 when everyone thought he was "done". Been a perfect back up for us.

Probably not going to see him again until Nov.1/2, right?

And probably for good reason since, according to SEPH, Giguere looked poor tonight.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006

And probably for good reason since, according to SEPH, Giguere looked poor tonight.

He didn't look great on the goals he allowed but he was fine.

Nalens Oga

Jan 5, 2010
Canada
Listening to a Marek vs Wyshynski podcast from Thursday and they're saying something that's interesting. Marek was saying that the Avs are playing a man to man defence and just outworking guys. When they stop outworking, they're gonna struggle (like the third period tonight) and when more teams figure out that it's man to man then they're gonna set up picks and switch forward movement making it tougher so Roy will have to adapt. I wonder how true this ends up being.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Listening to a Marek vs Wyshynski podcast from Thursday and they're saying something that's interesting. Marek was saying that the Avs are playing a man to man defence and just outworking guys. When they stop outworking, they're gonna struggle (like the third period tonight) and when more teams figure out that it's man to man then they're gonna set up picks and switch forward movement making it tougher so Roy will have to adapt. I wonder how true this ends up being.

Good we'll have more PP's.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Duchene said they are doing something different every game so I think Roy knows that he's going to have to keep evolving the system to keep up with scouting.

Just now catching up on the game. So I take it great first and terrible third? Did we at least get any disgusted Sacco shots?

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

I don't think it will be as tough as you might think. First of all, teams should know they're playing that style defensively even though the season's young. All teams go over video, and it's also why there has been so many scouts at Avs games, to see how they're playing with the new coach.

Also, setting picks is something teams should be doing anyway. And from hearing Roy and others talk, they're playing a man to man system, but they're stressing supporting each other, so when one guy has to skate too far out of position, or if there happens to be a pick somehwere, there should be a second guy ready to take over, and they can switch. This is why we're seeing communication among the five players on the ice to a level we've never seen, even in the Avs glory years.

Despite the high shot totals in previous games, this team is working extremely well as a five man unit. The're all on the same page and in the right position, and working hard for nearly all the shifts they take. That's what's given them success so far this year. It's their hard work and team play defensively, not offensively, that's given them success so far.

Roy in training camp and in their first game created such a culture of "team play" and "we're all in it together" that it transcended the usual nature of that cliche, and everyone is buying in. Everyone's working for each other, and that's not something that we've seen regularly for a long time.

It's actually very very impressive what he's done for this team as a coach. He's really the real deal behind the bench.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

Giggy bailed the team out in the 3rd period. Sabers could have, no, would have tied it against last years goaltending.

He probably would want the Hodgson goal back, but it was an extreme knuckleballer of puck and it was one of the first few shots he saw after virtually nothing all game to keep him fresh.

Avs let off the gas + Sabers found some life after the first period. Giggy was the 3rd best player for the Avs tonight.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Giggy bailed the team out in the 3rd period. Sabres could have, no, would have tied it against last years goaltending.

He probably would want the Hodgson goal back, but it was an extreme knuckleballer of puck and it was one of the first few shots he saw after virtually nothing all game to keep him fresh.

Avs let off the gas + Sabres found some life after the first period. Giggy was the 3rd best player for the Avs tonight.

Good to hear he played well in the 3rd. I was only able to catch the 1st period where he saw almost no action, and then from the highlights it looked like he was fighting it tonight. Glad he either settled in, or was able to battle through the off night in a way that only goalies with the mental fortitude and competitiveness like Jiggy can on off nights.

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com
How did Cliche look tonight? I know he didn't get a ton of ice time. I'm thrilled that Duchene is continuing to keep up his stellar play, he's been a big part of their early success.

Cliché looked like a perfect depth bench forward. Did not make any big mistakes, did not try to do too much, but did not really contribute anything that makes you think he would ever be a long term regular 4th liner. Good 13th forward that you can keep on the roster so that Malone and Olver can play meaningful minutes in the AHL...but if anyone was out for more than 3-4 games, you probably would call one of them up OR make a trade.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
I did not like that hard pass Cliche gave Bordeleau that iced the puck after a long shift in the third. Bordeleau hasn't got the hands to handle a puck like that.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Cliché looked like a perfect depth bench forward. Did not make any big mistakes, did not try to do too much, but did not really contribute anything that makes you think he would ever be a long term regular 4th liner. Good 13th forward that you can keep on the roster so that Malone and Olver can play meaningful minutes in the AHL...but if anyone was out for more than 3-4 games, you probably would call one of them up OR make a trade.

Thanks, sounds like good enough until McLeod gets back.

Ruston*

Giggy bailed the team out in the 3rd period. Sabers could have, no, would have tied it against last years goaltending.

Avs let off the gas + Sabers found some life after the first period. Giggy was the 3rd best player for the Avs tonight.

Thank you for the insight.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad