Post-Game Talk: Colorado vs Buffalo: Re-Entering Earth's Atmosphere

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Nah I don't think so, he's running the PK for sure, but this kind of defensive scheme has been something in Buffalo even when Ruff was coaching. Never apply pressure at the blue line, they just let forwards walk in and do whatever the hell they want. It's disgusting to watch.

Yeah, Weber is not playing well this year, just way too inconsistent, hopefully by the end of the tank, we're going to have some kind of D pairings consisting of Myers, Risto, Pysyk, Zadorov, McCabe and someone else. Definitely need some top end forwards for sure though.

I spend a lot of time in buffalo so a lot people I know are Sabres fans, and while this next season or two will be really ugly, I really like the young core you've put together if you can just add a top forward or two to the whole thing. And with Sacco ready to pounce you're well positioned to tank for those forwards this year and next. Then things will look a lot better with your good set of secondary forwards and wonderful cadre of young defencemen.

Just gotta let tank commander Sacco work his magic for the next season or two.

Especially if you guys pick up some first round picks for Vanek, erhoff and miller. Try and trade up to get a couple high end forwards out this draft and the pieces may be in place as soon as next season.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
duchene, ror and stas did pretty good job lowering ehrhoff's trade value :sarcasm:

Unfortunately, Ehrhoff's partner seemed to be trying to lower his value for sure. I feel like Ehrhoff is going to get frustrated quickly in Buffalo, especially if they end up moving Vanek and Miller.

Stastny and EJ were MASSIVE last night.

I hope we can re-sign Paulie. He looks reborn under Patrick. He's just so smart and has an extra gear that he didnt have in his earlier years.

Agree, and he seems to be much more of a leader as far as holding the team accountable and not giving those canned answers he gave during the Sacco years. I think Roy's honest and open approach as well as Giggy's calling out the team last year has rubbed off on the team in a very good way.

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
I spend a lot of time in buffalo so a lot people I know are Sabres fans, and while this next season or two will be really ugly, I really like the young core you've put together if you can just add a top forward or two to the whole thing. And with Sacco ready to pounce you're well positioned to tank for those forwards this year and next. Then things will look a lot better with your good set of secondary forwards and wonderful cadre of young defencemen.

Just gotta let tank commander Sacco work his magic for the next season or two.

Especially if you guys pick up some first round picks for Vanek, erhoff and miller. Try and trade up to get a couple high end forwards out this draft and the pieces may be in place as soon as next season.

They picked a couple good young d men in last years draft, if they can get a top young forward in this years draft, and who knows could be in the running for mcdavid in next years draft, they would be set for years to come. It would be a couple of good years to tank.

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
Oh boy when they showed Sacco on the Sabres bench I had some seriously awful flashbacks.

As for the game, the 1st period was very good, the other two not so much but in the end they got the job done.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Advanced stats: Bordeleau is 2nd on Avs when it comes to corsi. Dominating with his puck possession skills.

Avsboy

Dec 12, 2006
Rewatching the game, anyone else impressed by that Ej saucer pass to Landy? Best saucer pass I have ever seen.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Buffalo shouldn't be this bad, I joked around with my brother saying the looked like Tampa late 90's with some Islanders and a hint of Atlanta. Man are they ever bad, you look at that lineup and you think what the hell is wrong? The coach sucks plus, he looks like a wiener. Should've kept Lindy and maybe not hired Sacco.:shakehead

Jones is worse

What about the Sabres is going to make them good? Goaltending and four or five NHLers who aren't rookies isn't going to get it done, even if they had a decent coach. Ruff's time came and went -- not saying Rolston is any good because at this point, he looks like a better placeholder for tanking than Sacco was for the Avs last year. But the Sabres are a mess and will be for some time.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Avs are 44-26-7 against the East since 08-09.

If there were any doubt about our chances against Eastern teams and our ability to put up points against them then those people were wrong. We have also only played 3 games against the West this season so far, so it is worth noting that the majority of our hot streak is one where even Sacco could have had us go .500

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC

If there were any doubt about our chances against Eastern teams and our ability to put up points against them then those people were wrong. We have also only played 3 games against the West this season so far, so it is worth noting that the majority of our hot streak is one where even Sacco could have had us go .500

These stats are meaningless. How many players are left from 08-09?

Answer: Staz and Highlander...

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don't think that stat is about the players but familiarity. Just like how the Avs were awful against their division the last few years. The East is still unfamiliar with the Avs. I also think big road trips are good for young teams, they always seem to focus on those early ones. But yeah, eventually the stats from this season compared to last few won't be comparable.

Chileiceman

Dec 14, 2004
Toronto
Was at the game last night. Man, I feel bad for Sabres fans (excelpt for the 2 annoying drunks sitting near me). That was a horrible display of hockey on their part. Great game for the Avs. Third period the Avs dodn't do much, but they were fairly solid in their own end for the most part. There were maybe 2 or 3 shifts in which we struggled clearing the puck. Lots of Av fans there, which was nice to see.

Duchene is so fun to watch. Would it be crazy to say he's one of the top 10 forwards in the league?

Drury_Sakic

Jul 25, 2003
www.avalanchedb.com

Good news is that the Western teams the Avs typically stink it up against are starting to finally trend ever so slightly downward.

I do think that it will take 2-3 weeks of solid play against the real "west" before anyone should get to happy about the team.

A one game sample of course, but the Red Wings are about as classic Western Conference as you can get..and we saw the Avs get out confidenced by a team of veteran players who calmly took the raw energy the Avs put out there in stride and came out with a win that they made look relatively effortless. It is going to take a few wins against LA, SJ, Vancover, St. Louis, and Chicago to really see if this team has improved or if they simply were dominating the Eastern Conference as per usual.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Good news is that the Western teams the Avs typically stink it up against are starting to finally trend ever so slightly downward.

I do think that it will take 2-3 weeks of solid play against the real "west" before anyone should get to happy about the team.

A one game sample of course, but the Red Wings are about as classic Western Conference as you can get..and we saw the Avs get out confidenced by a team of veteran players who calmly took the raw energy the Avs put out there in stride and came out with a win that they made look relatively effortless. It is going to take a few wins against LA, SJ, Vancover, St. Louis, and Chicago to really see if this team has improved or if they simply were dominating the Eastern Conference as per usual.

Wait... what?

The Avs had it tied until the 3rd, it could've easily been the Avs coming on top. Out of all the examples, Detroit is a bad one because we gave them a run for their money.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Wait... what?

The Avs had it tied until the 3rd, it could've easily been the Avs coming on top. Out of all the examples, Detroit is a bad one because we gave them a run for their money.

I agree It could have gone either way, we played good game. Second period was probably the BEST Avalanche this season so far. Very impressive.

AvsFanInBuffalo

Feb 5, 2007
Buffalo, NY
Fun game as an Avs fan to be at. Nobody said one word to me, as far as any trash talk, kinda lame.

You could tell they were coasting in the 3rd and just wanting to get out with the W, when Buffalo put the pressure on. Good stuff!

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
When the Avs stormed out to an early lead, I would've played the MacKinnon line more. Would've been a good game to get him some more ice time without putting a lot of pressure on him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad